1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report The Lake Mountain 2019 Trip Report, Conditions & Pics Thread

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by D-eye, Jan 1, 2019.

1. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

Welcome to 2019

2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The year that LM finally gets its Snow Factory :)

Equus likes this.
  3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Give us a snow camera on the Panorama trail!!!

4. teckel

The snow factory will ensure snow on the lower trails, so there'll be no need to hike before skiing when it hasn't snowed for a while.

Equus likes this.
  5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Fake snow, a giant slurpee machine, Baa Humbug!

6. teckel

You won't find many Buller skiers who dismiss it so quickly.

Chaeron and 2ESki like this.
  7. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I don't ski at Mt. Buller. I go to XC skiing places, sometimes I go to BC XC ski locations where the snow is real and there is no resort.

9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM got some snow today :) .

10. teckel

:) Unfortunately, not enough to be of any use, although it may be better up high.

11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It might be too little even for using the rock hopper skis. One imagines it might be better near The Boundary hut ruins. When oh when will there be a snow cam installed up near Panorama and the Boundary hut trail?. Still, it looks like the first sign of the 2019 season, so let it be a good one. I am yet to obtain my early bird pass but next month I will cough up for one and hope I get at least 4 trips to LM for the price of 3 visits .

teckel likes this.
  12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The roving online camera shows some decent cover for March. It will melt and be washed away by rain tomorrow. The thought of getting back on the planks is exciting !

13. teckel

It doesn't look too bad this morning! Obviously got some more overnight. :)

14. teckel

Ha! I've got the "ski hire" shingle hanging out this morning .....

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Alas one snow plough turn down a hill and the snow cover would become broken . However I am looking forward to skiing at LM this season. I still have to finish clearing the Track from Keppel's hut to the Hut ruins trail on LM. There are two HUGE tree Trunks across that track , lower down, that need more than one volunteer armed with just a 16 inch bar chain saw and a battery powered hedge trimmer.A 22 inch bar chainsaw would be great. Maybe Ubi Steve could get his bigger Stihl chainsaw out and help out with that project?

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM early bird passes are now available until May 10th 2019. I don't know what the season will be like in terms of snow cover but last season was HUUUUUGE.
    If you just want to get an LM only Early bird pass which is for Weekday XC skiing only ( my kind of Nordic skiing at LM ) then you will need to produce AUD$230 clams and fill in this form

https://www.lakemountainresort.com....9-Season-Pass-Early-Bird-Application-Form.pdf

This white season 2019 day entry at the toll booth will cost AUD$57 per car. That means 4 visits is equivalent to one early bird pass. If you have the early bird pass then you will need to go XC skiing at LM 5 times to get in front and 4 times to break even. I will think about it . I went 4 times last season and I am fairly keen on XC plank action at LM.
    Gate Entry Prices
    Resort Entry Price
    Car Entry

includes everyone in the vehicle of 10 seats or less $57
    Bus Entry Price
    a bus is classified as any vehicle with over 10 seats $18.50pp over 5 years
    Authorised School Group Bus Entry Price
    Weekdays only; application from the School must be accepted prior to entry $14
    Seniors Car Entry Price (All occupants must be seniors)
    Midweek - Monday to Friday
    Weekends & Public Holidays/school holidays $30
    $57
    Motorbike/Pushbike Entry Price $18.50

nezumi likes this.
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Track clearing continues along the Route from Keppel's hut to Lake Mtn. boundary hut ruins trail. I hope that the whole route will become ski friendly by the end of May .

neilmny, snowgum and teckel like this.
  18. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Or for just over 48000 yen, You can get a season pass to all Victorian Resorts.

19. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Have to say it troubles me that my solo trip to Lake MTN will cost me $57, while those in a ten seat mini bus will pay $5.70 per head.

Yes I know some of the fee goes towards road & Car park maintenance but I believe the majority of fees pay for stuff that people use not cars - like toilets, base facilities, snowmaking, patrolling and grooming.

I think the old Village cinema 'counting heads' method would be fairer.

My two pence...

20. teckel

It's the same at every Victorian resort though. Better if you arrange to go with at least another person, or better still a car full. And this year, because they've purchased a snow factory, there will be snow on the trails right down to the resort - no walking.

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I know the volunteer track clearing from Keppel's hut to The Boundary hut trail is all for a good cause ;-). The gate fee is not becoming cheaper and the 2019 early bird pass is now costing the price of four visits rather than the equivalent of three visits , as it did in 2018.

22. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Write out an invoice for all the work you do which helps attract people to the mountain and reduces the cost of rescues and hazard mitigation. They can take your car park entry fee out of what they owe you - should set you up for (free) entry for quite some time!

23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I don't think the LM resort management board, PV or DEWLP will be very interested in my claims for some kind of perk as the result of my efforts in writing and verily in deed to clear the route to Keppel's hut from Lake Mountain's boundary hut ruins track. I have written to Peter Cobb at DELWP in Marysville and I did n't get any results.
    It would seem that forum members such as The Team Leader of Team Bears and Yours truly are doing the necessary so that you will be able to skin up or ski down that route in July and August.

24. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Whilst I don't use those trails, I'm sure there are thousands of people who do and they would be grateful for your respective efforts. I applaud you, though I can't waive entry tickets!

25. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

While I don't overly mind paying my $57 for our family of 3 inc our 10 y old who has no BC ski experience, I do love the idea of having free alternate access around the back (Keppels) for the 'fit youngsters' with capable 4WDs - who don't need or want all the hoopla.

I guess Carters Rd provides similar (longish) 'free' snowline access to Stirling, while for Hotham and Falls it's a long slog from the valleys for anyone not into parking levees. With the exception of JB Plain on the GAR, Its a shame all our free NP access points like MStG & Baw Baw (& ESP. Donna Buang) are fairly low and don't provide the 'almost guaranteed' snow of the resort areas.

On the topic, I think one could mount an access equity business case for Falls and Hotham areas to provide somewhat cheaper overnight BC access parking areas for those that don't use the majority of resort facilities? I guess the lift companies would hate this idea and the RMs /DELWP might say BC skiers are still using resort infrastructure, plowing, toilets start and end and perhaps even search and rescue???

Any thoughts?
    (Bearing in mind we have some the highest snow access costs in the world??)

26. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Carter's road / No. 3 road junction to hut No. 3 is 6.2 kms one way. I am going to give that a go this white season. Ditto for Mt. Margaret rd. winter gate to Keppel's hut. It is a similar distance from the winter gate to Keppel's hut.

27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Looking at the Keppel's hut log book for the white season entries I would say the number of track users out that way would total 30 at the most. Ski Patrol sometimes head out there once or twice during the ski season. Others come in from the winter gate on the Mt. Margaret road.

28. Equus

Equus Addicted

I See a Snow Whale on the Toboggan Run, date stamp looks like Today......

Jacko4650 likes this.
  29. teckel

That would be from the newly delivered Snow Factory. :thumbs:

Equus likes this.
  30. Equus

Equus Addicted

Looks Good from What I Can See, Anything that'll Help the Real Snow Stick Must be a Plus in Anybody's book!

31. Equus

Equus Addicted

As I DON'T Know Anything about it, I have a Question.....
    Is it Moveable so that it could be use to put a layer of White Gold on the Nordic Park and Other places?
    And Talking of the Nordic Park, How big is it? As the Cam I'm sure Only shows a Small part of it......
    When it's Open for Skiing Please My I have Some Photos of it and the {For Visual for Book, as I have an Idea Involving Skijoring} Trails?
    MANY Thanks

32. teckel

I don't much about it. It's the same as Buller's snow factory, which I think can cover the whole of Bourke St. I understand it will be used to cover the whole of the village area including the nordic park and the lower trails as far as the snow gauge and above. It's the size of a shipping container - looks like a shipping container, so can't be moved. @eurosnowtec will be able to provide more accurate information on it.

33. teckel

Snow on the ground at LM this morning:

[​IMG]

34. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

issues I can see
    abuse by non bc people. how do you police it? policing it would be an additional cost.

taking away car parking from full fee payng resort visitors. also reduces RM revenue when car parking is full.

I think lift co only real objection would be about less available parking for their customers

some brainstorming
    perhaps they could allow reduced cost bc parking outside the gate at howmans. least desirable parking would minimise abuse.

perhaps a midweek only ticket that would allow discount parking at lower windy. convenient for people going bc but inconvenient for daytrippers. not taking capacity at peak times

another wild idea might be to have some national park parking outside the resort on the currently closed road to the power station. i doubt this could happen but in theory it could allow free access to the nat park for those who really didn't need resort facilities (except snow clearing as far as turnback). even if something could be negotiated it would create problems for agl, encourage snowplayers as well, and bring safety concerns.

35. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Some interesting and worthwhile ideas there Currawong. The resort system with quite costly daily/seasonal rates when compared with NSW, acts to punish snow users from lower income groups, inc. students. And the position of the resort boundary and the location of legal parking makes it extremely difficult for Victorians to see snow without doing the whole resort (circus) thing - that said i believe in user pays. But I think it should be easier than it is for Victorians to park within reach of reliable snow but not be considered in the resort - that's where your (Road 24) McKay access idea could have merit. I thought it's lower reaches (before gate), is already used as long term staff parking. So half a dozen BC cars is hardly a big issue if the the space is there.

So from there, BC skiers, snowshoers etc... Half the option of thumbing a lift, trying to catch a bus from Howmans (is that even possible?) or walking then skiing up Rd 24 to the expanses of the plains beyond the lifted area?? Sounds great if it saves over $200 for a week in the BC but not sure if it would be possible to get such an idea up and working?? BC snow people are few in no. And are rarely on Govt/Resorts radars - unless there's a nice fat $ for the taking (yes I'm having a bet each way here!!)

Similarly, BC people parking near Mt St Bernaud (and not going anywhere near Hotham village) could probably mount a case for a reduced - road only access rate. Not too many rubbish bins, information booths, toilets or groomed trails on the track to the Twins!!

I think we can learn from NSW where an annual pass was around $200 (maybe it's closer to 300 now?), but an all resort pass is over $600 now. That's almost in Season lift Pass territory and serious money for most low-middle income snow lovers.

The resorts need their money to survive - but it would be good to see more diversity in their stakeholder consultations. Particular when it comes to setting access charges. But I don't have much hope based on past decades. And I think foreign visitors to our hills must think we're all mad at times to pay so much.

36. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

governments do not acknowledge the contribution that the ski industry makes to local and state economy. if they did then there would be subsidy of resort management rather than forcing it to be self-funding. while it has to be self-funding, it's hard to see access getting any cheaper.

For frequent skiers a single resort early bird pass isn't too bad. The best answer is to pick one resort and ski often :) (with just rare ventures to other resorts) Otherwise, find a friend and get different resort passes.

snowgum and Chaeron like this.
  37. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Yes I like the ski often plan - slowly working on that but it's a matter teasing another decade or these knees while there's still coins in the piggy bank!

currawong likes this.
  38. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

My other problem (habit) is I love skiing different mountains and perhaps due to my XC & walking origins get easily bored doing the same runs & Mtns over again.

As a BTW: This year I'll be doing at least one Hotham long W/E, one Buller-Stirling W/E, ~ half a doz Wanaka ski days plus a couple of day trips to L Mtn / Bawbs if there's snow in June.

Tell me I don't get hammered by such choice???

currawong likes this.
  39. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 One of Us

Did a little day trip to LM today. Never been before, just went up spur of the moment because of the snow they had overnight. Anyway here's some pics
    April 27th 2019

Their snow pile they're building

40. teckel

Very nice @Amelia1810. Thanks. A pity there wasn't a wee bit more.

Chaeron and Amelia1810 like this.
  41. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Well done Amelia - for going and the post/pics!!

A very nice 'start' to winter??

currawong and Amelia1810 like this.
  42. Hully

Hully One of Us

No, the management model that the government has put in place is wrong and far too expensive. I am a massive supporter of the ski industry, but the state public purse should not be responsible for propping up a bureaucratic model that is not in place for any of the other tourist industries/towns in our state. We have boards and executives costing a fortune for the management each of our ski villages....this is the problem.
    The RMBs have access to the same funding opportunties as as other LGAs and communities. Case in point, last year's Victorian State Government 'Pick my Project' initiative Falls Creek's nominated project was for some massive art installation project at the entry to the village, it didn't even register on people's voting radar. Mount Beauty on the other hand was successful in gaining the numbers 1 and 2 most voted projects in North East Victoria gaining $200K for MTB Park trail head upgrades and $200K for an extension of the riverside trail. The RMB model is too expensive, out of touch and not necessary for a successful year round alpine tourist industry.

Jacko4650, currawong and Chaeron like this.
  43. teckel

Hully likes this.
  44. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I might be going for a walk around LM next week just to scout out some terrain such as the Jubilee run, which I have not skied before. I might show my bushwalking friend the freshly cleared and manicured track from The Boundary hut ruins loop to Keppel's hut.

teckel likes this.
  45. teckel

If you go on Saturday, you may well find it under some nice cover. Snow forecast for the upper trails tomorrow, and the entire resort for Thursday and Friday.

46. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Saturday , hey ? Do you think the rock hopper skis would work on the upper trails or one snow plough turn and the cover would break through? . Evidently I am itching to do some skiing for free :).
    Thursday 9 May
    Summary
    [​IMG]
    Min 3
    Max 5
    Rain. Possible snow. Windy.
    Possible rainfall: 8 to 25 mm
    Chance of any rain: 100% [​IMG]
    North Central area
    Cloudy. Very high (near 100%) chance of rain, most likely in the afternoon and evening. Snow falling above 1200 metres. The chance of a thunderstorm in the west in the late afternoon and evening. Winds northerly 25 to 40 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to between 5 and 8 with daytime temperatures reaching between 13 and 16.

Sun protection recommended from 10:50 am to 1:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 3 [Moderate]

Friday 10 May
    Summary
    [​IMG]
    Min 1
    Max 3
    Snow showers easing.
    Possible rainfall: 6 to 10 mm
    Chance of any rain: 95% [​IMG]
    North Central area
    Partly cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers in the east, medium (40%) chance elsewhere. Snow falling above 900 metres. Winds southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to around 5 with daytime temperatures reaching between 10 and 14.

47. Mister Tee on XC Skis

nezumi likes this.
  48. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Rock Hopping on XC skis didn't happen today at LM. Snow cams at LM today suggested 99% rocks , 1% hopping and that other activities would be a better use of one's time on this wet and cold Friday.

49. Mister Tee on XC Skis

What is amazing amigo?
    Still no REAL XC SKI snow at LM yet.....
    May 14 th 2019 . Jubilee Trail.

teckel likes this.
  50. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The newly cleared Keppel's hut track awaits BC XC skiers coming in on BC XC planks from Panorama track and the Boundary Hut ruins loop....
    May 6th 2019.

teckel likes this.