Snow Report The Lake Mountain 2019 Trip Report, Conditions & Pics Thread

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by D-eye, Jan 1, 2019.

1. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier

Welcome to 2019

2. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass: Gold

The year that LM finally gets its Snow Factory :)

Equus likes this.
  3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass: Silver

Give us a snow camera on the Panorama trail!!!

4. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

The snow factory will ensure snow on the lower trails, so there'll be no need to hike before skiing when it hasn't snowed for a while.

Equus likes this.
  5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Fake snow, a giant slurpee machine, Baa Humbug!

6. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

You won't find many Buller skiers who dismiss it so quickly.

Chaeron and 2ESki like this.
  7. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I don't ski at Mt. Buller. I go to XC skiing places, sometimes I go to BC XC ski locations where the snow is real and there is no resort.

9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM got some snow today :) .

10. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

:) Unfortunately, not enough to be of any use, although it may be better up high.

11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It might be too little even for using the rock hopper skis. One imagines it might be better near The Boundary hut ruins. When oh when will there be a snow cam installed up near Panorama and the Boundary hut trail?. Still, it looks like the first sign of the 2019 season, so let it be a good one. I am yet to obtain my early bird pass but next month I will cough up for one and hope I get at least 4 trips to LM for the price of 3 visits .

teckel likes this.
  12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The roving online camera shows some decent cover for March. It will melt and be washed away by rain tomorrow. The thought of getting back on the planks is exciting !

13. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

It doesn't look too bad this morning! Obviously got some more overnight. :)

14. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Ha! I've got the "ski hire" shingle hanging out this morning .....

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Alas one snow plough turn down a hill and the snow cover would become broken . However I am looking forward to skiing at LM this season. I still have to finish clearing the Track from Keppel's hut to the Hut ruins trail on LM. There are two HUGE tree Trunks across that track , lower down, that need more than one volunteer armed with just a 16 inch bar chain saw and a battery powered hedge trimmer.A 22 inch bar chainsaw would be great. Maybe Ubi Steve could get his bigger Stihl chainsaw out and help out with that project?

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM early bird passes are now available until May 10th 2019. I don't know what the season will be like in terms of snow cover but last season was HUUUUUGE.
    If you just want to get an LM only Early bird pass which is for Weekday XC skiing only ( my kind of Nordic skiing at LM ) then you will need to produce AUD$230 clams and fill in this form

https://www.lakemountainresort.com....9-Season-Pass-Early-Bird-Application-Form.pdf

This white season 2019 day entry at the toll booth will cost AUD$57 per car. That means 4 visits is equivalent to one early bird pass. If you have the early bird pass then you will need to go XC skiing at LM 5 times to get in front and 4 times to break even. I will think about it . I went 4 times last season and I am fairly keen on XC plank action at LM.
    Gate Entry Prices
    Resort Entry Price
    Car Entry

includes everyone in the vehicle of 10 seats or less $57
    Bus Entry Price
    a bus is classified as any vehicle with over 10 seats $18.50pp over 5 years
    Authorised School Group Bus Entry Price
    Weekdays only; application from the School must be accepted prior to entry $14
    Seniors Car Entry Price (All occupants must be seniors)
    Midweek - Monday to Friday
    Weekends & Public Holidays/school holidays $30
    $57
    Motorbike/Pushbike Entry Price $18.50

nezumi likes this.
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Track clearing continues along the Route from Keppel's hut to Lake Mtn. boundary hut ruins trail. I hope that the whole route will become ski friendly by the end of May .

neilmny, snowgum and teckel like this.
  18. stansi

stansi One of Us

Or for just over 48000 yen, You can get a season pass to all Victorian Resorts.

19. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Have to say it troubles me that my solo trip to Lake MTN will cost me $57, while those in a ten seat mini bus will pay $5.70 per head.

Yes I know some of the fee goes towards road & Car park maintenance but I believe the majority of fees pay for stuff that people use not cars - like toilets, base facilities, snowmaking, patrolling and grooming.

I think the old Village cinema 'counting heads' method would be fairer.

My two pence...

20. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

It's the same at every Victorian resort though. Better if you arrange to go with at least another person, or better still a car full. And this year, because they've purchased a snow factory, there will be snow on the trails right down to the resort - no walking.

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I know the volunteer track clearing from Keppel's hut to The Boundary hut trail is all for a good cause ;-). The gate fee is not becoming cheaper and the 2019 early bird pass is now costing the price of four visits rather than the equivalent of three visits , as it did in 2018.

22. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

Write out an invoice for all the work you do which helps attract people to the mountain and reduces the cost of rescues and hazard mitigation. They can take your car park entry fee out of what they owe you - should set you up for (free) entry for quite some time!

23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I don't think the LM resort management board, PV or DEWLP will be very interested in my claims for some kind of perk as the result of my efforts in writing and verily in deed to clear the route to Keppel's hut from Lake Mountain's boundary hut ruins track. I have written to Peter Cobb at DELWP in Marysville and I did n't get any results.
    It would seem that forum members such as The Team Leader of Team Bears and Yours truly are doing the necessary so that you will be able to skin up or ski down that route in July and August.

24. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

Whilst I don't use those trails, I'm sure there are thousands of people who do and they would be grateful for your respective efforts. I applaud you, though I can't waive entry tickets!

25. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

While I don't overly mind paying my $57 for our family of 3 inc our 10 y old who has no BC ski experience, I do love the idea of having free alternate access around the back (Keppels) for the 'fit youngsters' with capable 4WDs - who don't need or want all the hoopla.

I guess Carters Rd provides similar (longish) 'free' snowline access to Stirling, while for Hotham and Falls it's a long slog from the valleys for anyone not into parking levees. With the exception of JB Plain on the GAR, Its a shame all our free NP access points like MStG & Baw Baw (& ESP. Donna Buang) are fairly low and don't provide the 'almost guaranteed' snow of the resort areas.

On the topic, I think one could mount an access equity business case for Falls and Hotham areas to provide somewhat cheaper overnight BC access parking areas for those that don't use the majority of resort facilities? I guess the lift companies would hate this idea and the RMs /DELWP might say BC skiers are still using resort infrastructure, plowing, toilets start and end and perhaps even search and rescue???

Any thoughts?
    (Bearing in mind we have some the highest snow access costs in the world??)

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  26. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Carter's road / No. 3 road junction to hut No. 3 is 6.2 kms one way. I am going to give that a go this white season. Ditto for Mt. Margaret rd. winter gate to Keppel's hut. It is a similar distance from the winter gate to Keppel's hut.

27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Looking at the Keppel's hut log book for the white season entries I would say the number of track users out that way would total 30 at the most. Ski Patrol sometimes head out there once or twice during the ski season. Others come in from the winter gate on the Mt. Margaret road.