1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report The Lake Mountain 2019 Trip Report, Conditions & Pics Thread

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by D-eye, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Bushwalking from Mt. Margaret gap to Keppel's hut for a picnic can fill in a day without skiable snow.

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am off the planks until VIC. receives a 20 cm snowfall later this Month, I hope. So back to surfing , reading , cycling ,swimming and the like until then for me.

3. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

And you have to pay entrance costs for that?
    Better going to igloo for a burgher and sit by the wood stove!

Maybe Wednesday could be good for lots of face painting!

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

There is some face painting in this film. Something for the kiddies ….. I am sure ;-P !

5. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Too early for the Ride of the Valkyries (which is where the saying about the fat lady singing comes from)!

6. Ubiquitous Steve

Prepare the rain gauges for Wed!

Lake Mt should have a rain gauge ?

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I know my Wagner and Anna Russell too.

teckel likes this.
  8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I don't think LM has a rain gauge that is big or deep enough.

9. Roger V

Roger V First Runs

Hi guys,

Sorry if i'm a bit slow but just to check, does Lake Mountain have enough snow for kids to play and simple tobogganing? We intend to go tomorrow (11th June).

A quick reply appreciated greatly :)

Roger.

10. teckel

Roger, I understand that it does. Just enough. Of people returning their gear today - I heard no negatives. Tomorrow will be a fine day. Wednesday won't. Tomorrow is definitely the pick day.

Chaeron likes this.
  11. Roger V

Roger V First Runs

Hey thanks for the quick reply teckel! Do you work or run one of the ski shops there? If yes, what's the cost for a simple toboggan? Haha :D

Chaeron likes this.
  12. teckel

Yes. LOL The one on the left side of the road in Narbethong. Standard toboggans are $8. Choice of 8 colours.

#162 teckel, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  13. Roger V

Roger V First Runs

Thank you very much teckel. I might just drop by. Cheers.

teckel likes this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

http://www.janebunn.net/lake-mountain

Time to build an ARK and get all the small furry animals to file in strictly in pairs.....

I could give this a go if this weather keeps going!

Chaeron and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  15. beefa skiing

beefa skiing Hard Yards

Thing is, LM is a July and August mountain. To ski there in late May and early June was an absolute bonus.

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

What is wrong with skiing in swamps full of mud?. It is the real future of Nordic skiing with the way the world is warming up .It will come out of the shadows and become an Olympic sport eventually !

LM Obsessive likes this.
  17. Roger V

Roger V First Runs

Sorry I've got another question, do we need snow chains at this time?
    If yes, when and where do we install them?

Thank you.

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

During the declared snow season all cars in VIC. must carry snow chains for the VIC. snow resorts and relevant carriage ways, and you must fit them where & when instructed to do so. If you drive a 2 WD and the snow is coming down hard then you will have to fit them before the Lake Mt. toll booth. However if you plan to visit tomorrow then you will find that there will not be much need and the only snow of consequence you will encounter esp. for children's play will be from the snowmaking machine on the toboggan run. If you went up on May 31st - June 5th then you may have needed to fit them but now that snow has melted.
    Beware of icy patches on the road and drive slowly and carefully in low gear and don't apply the brakes heavily. Enjoy and keep an eye out for the next big snowfall at Lake Mtn. and elsewhere. When that will happen is a guessing game.

@teckel can rent you some wheel chains and other gear.

#168 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 11, 2019
  19. teckel

This is not true. Mt Buller and Lake Mountain declare the days when chains are required to be carried for various categories of vehicle (ie: 2WD, AWD/4WD). Those days are announced on their respective websites. The other resorts require them to be carried at all times. Mt Buller require them for all overnight vehicles. LM only requires them to be carried at all times by commercial buses. Further, LM only ever requires them for 2WD vehicles.

The remainder of your post was right.

20. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Also not entirely true. All the other resorts have the power to declare days where chains do not have to be carried but rarely do. More often toward the end of the season, when there is no snow, you may see it for the likes of Hotham but if staying overnight you must carry regardless. Alpine Resort Management Regulation 56.

teckel likes this.
  21. Ubiquitous Steve

And it pays to remember TB(Team Bears MR 101 donot Park in saddles that are likely to get covered in deep snow after blizzard?:eek:

Mulhauser Saddle is covered by this Management Regulation.;)

Now these management regulations are designed to take away rational thinking and to provide a safe environment for any departmental staff.:whistle:

22. Ubiquitous Steve

Now....rain gauges...we propose a skate bowl that could double over winter as a rainfall gauge....this would be a win win for all!That should accomodate the heaviest readings of ppt.

23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Jane Bunn seems to think that there will be a big dump of skiable snow on Wed. June 19th and Thursday 20th of June. I will take anything but she is estimating 20 cms Plus :emoji_snowflake: at Lake Mtn. , which is superb . Wed. next week is long way off but it means good things are coming :).
    If this comes true then I will be there on Friday week with bells and skis:skis: on!:cool::skier: and possibly off to Mt Buffalo:emoji_cloud_snow: and JB plain:emoji_snowflake: for the Sat. and Sunday too.

#173 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 11, 2019
  24. Ubiquitous Steve

That could make it tricky for skaters in the bowl...I mean rain gauge!

25. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If it snows down low enough The Team leader might get a chance to ski from Mt. Margaret Gap to Keppel's hut. :) .
    However Ms. Bunn has revised her VIC snow forecast for the second half of next week and it looks like it won't snow enough!. I have stopped taking medication to control my anticipation .It may have to be the last weekend of June that the motherload of snow that will set up a skiable base will arrive. We shall wait and do snow dances and the like.

#175 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  26. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Hold the front page. Ms. Bunn's automated snow forecasting device now predicts a significant snow fall at LM on Thursday June 20th.Maybe Fri. June 21st will be worth a trip up to LM after all. I will watch what the forecast looks like on Monday or Wed. next week.

28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

13/6/19. The snow cams are still cactus. If there is a decent dump of snow next Thursday the snow cameras better be working or there will be trouble. Now is the time get the service repaired so that when skiable snow arrives XC ski people can see it and decide whether to visit or not.

29. Tracey kroon

Tracey kroon First Runs

Hey guys thinking of going up there this Sunday. Any reports of snow?

30. Mister Tee on XC Skis

As far as XC skiing goes Friday or Sat. next week is next the possible date worth the drive and the gate fee.

31. teckel

Hi Tracey, If you're going for snowplay, it should be fine. They're pumping out man-made snow for the toboggan run and snow play area as fast as they can. Unfortunately, the rain earlier in the week washed the natural snow away.
    If you want to go skiing on the trails, forget it, and try later in the season.

32. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yes LM is looking a bit grim for XC skiing but for tiny tots sliding on cold stuff that comes out of a big snow machine, LM has that well sorted now. It is second biggest slurpee machine you will ever see, chief! .

33. teckel

The good news:
    At long last, we have a snow report on their website, and the 360 panning cam is up. Still no webcams. Still no trail reports, but at least this is better than it was a week ago. https://www.lakemountainresort.com.au/trail-conditions/
    The bad news:
    At this stage, it looks like I won't be selling any lessons either online or at the shop this year. The mountain is charging the public $45 for a lesson on the mountain. But, if I were to sell them from the shop, it would cost me $52 for kids lessons and $56 for adults lessons. I have asked for clarification on this.

34. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The XC ski trail condition photos tell a sorry tale :-(.

Ski lessons should be cheaper off the hill. What are the ski lesson rates at Windy Corner?. LM used to be the cheapest place for lessons. I would still like to learn how to do "The ice hockey stop".

LM's management approach seems to be based on the example set by Basil Fawlty.
    If people have affordable lessons then they will become return customers for the long term. In the sense of growing a permanent clientele there are SMART ways to get people 'hooked'.
    I might try a few Telemark ski lessons next season. Windy Corner is offering such tuition this season when the snow arrives.

35. teckel

$45 is still good value. I have no argument with that. But I just want to sell them without making a loss.

36. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears are still pushing for a giant water slide at the Marysville Hot Spot!

37. Mister Tee on XC Skis

"We have some Germans in the restaurant, I mentioned the war once but I think I got away with it..... " Yes The LM and BB management could not run a bath, could they?. Stakeholders including ski hire businesses in the LM region help grow the base of return customers who XC ski at LM. As people progress in Nordic skiing they tend to buy not hire gear and perhaps seek out new tuitions to increase their skills.

Local businesses off the hill can help with rental and sales of ski gear as well as affordable lessons.

Consultations with stakeholder businesses that funnels skiing customers towards the LM resort are vital in the long term strategy of success for non snow play based return customers.

Likewise the May early bird pass has been increased in price to the equivalent of 4 separate visits. One needs to visit on 5 different days to derive any benefit from such expenditure. LM's snow cover and reliability snow cover varies from season to season . As a result an early bird pass that is the same as paying for 4 visits is a disincentive not an incentive to Nordic ski at LM. LM needs enticements to XC skiers and to grow the sport. It seems to be putting all its eggs in the snowball throwing and tobogganing basket and ignoring the XC ski aspect of the whole operation both on and off the hill .
    Look at the new LM website:
    "
    At the height of the season, the queues for rentals and passes can get quite long – especially after 10 a.m. To avoid the queues and make the most of your big day, think about arriving early, using our click-and-collect service or picking up your rentals from one of our off-mountain partners in Marysville or on the Black Spur.

Come visit our rental team for all your equipment needs.".
    No mention of Narbethong ski hire businesses at all on their web page.
    WTF?!

38. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I'm guessing the $45 figure is direct from LM? I had a hunt around their website, and the best I could find on there was "Our Snowsports Centre offers a variety of lesson options from beginner through to elite. All our teachers are fully qualified and highly experienced, so whether you want an hour-long beginners’ group lesson to learn the basics, or one-on-one cross country ski coaching session to master your technique we have you covered." - Nothing on what the actual cost of the lessons might be...

39. teckel

Yes, I had to email them to ask the price because it wasn't on their website. That's the price for a 1 hr class lesson. They've told me it was an omission and will appear. At some stage.
    Actually, it was on their website, up and until 7th June, when they changed their website.
    They did tell me the price of a private lesson, but I've forgotten.

#189 teckel, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    nezumi likes this.
  40. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The web site has some curious omissions. Without any snow to ski on at present the discussion and debate about ski lesson prices is rather theoretical .

41. teckel

Yes, I've drawn that to their attention also. I'm not sure what "on the Black Spur" means. I presume they're trying to say "Narbethong". But the average visitor wouldn't know that.

42. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It means just park the car on the side of the winding road and walk into the steep wet cold scrub at random and some skis, boots and poles will be there ready for you to hire with an honesty box and all (sic).

It means whatever you want it to mean.....
    but
    it does not point newbies in the right direction such as to Mystic Mountains ski hire in Narbethong. They seem to be displaying veiled antipathy towards @teckel .

43. teckel

I don't think it's antipathy. There's 2 ski hires in Narbethong. The web developers have probably never heard of Narbethong.

nezumi likes this.
  44. Mister Tee on XC Skis

.The website developers may not have visited Marysville either.There are two ski hire shops/outlets in Narbethong but only one Mystic Mountains ski hire.

45. Mister Tee on XC Skis

46. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Google : Candide Thovex!

Skiain likes this.
  47. teckel

10 cm of fresh snow in the village area. More on the higher trails. :woohoo:
    We need more, but it's a good start.

48. Mister Tee on XC Skis

49. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Will they run a groomer over some trails today?

50. teckel

Here's your answer: :thumbs:
    [​IMG]

Not the big machine, but skidoo grooming. :D
    Trail report says skate grooming of upper and lower Echo Flat and upper Muster.