1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report The Lake Mountain 2019 Trip Report, Conditions & Pics Thread

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by D-eye, Jan 1, 2019.

1. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Tomorrow will still be cold enough to get a 1 cm top up and keep the new snow fresh and skiable. I am watching this space and I 'll be packing my XC ski day trip stuff this afternoon in readiness. I doubt I will bother with a doing a Keppel's hut trip , slogging it on foot. I will just cough up and ski via the front entrance.
    GAME ON !!!!

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

:emoji_snowflake::skier:GAME ON! I am XC skiing at LM tomorrow!!!:woohoo::ski::party:
    :)

Where is the colourful ski instructor Felix with his video format report and imploring people to visit LM ?

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM management have groomed the green XC ski trails but have not bothered with the Blue trails and the black level trail on Jubilee trail. mmmmmmm which rock hoppers to ski on?

#204 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The website says that LM got 10 cm x 2 (over two days in a row). That is incorrect.That is total Bollocks. XC ski cover is presently at about 5 cm across most ski trails. If you go then don't take skating skis or your good PB classic skis. Take the OP SHOP rock hoppers and be prepared to take a tumble or three when you hit a rock , some dirt or a stick or a bush etc.

Panorama Trail near The Triangle 20/6/19

#205 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  6. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for the update, 10cm failing on no base will compact , just look at Baw Baw , 12cm base but they have had 25cm fall

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

What LM has at present with XC ski cover will compact better if they do some skidoo grooming today across all the trails ,but they won't ,because they have lost the plot.

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

9. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

We went up yesterday and was quite disappointed by the (lack of) cover. I should have a rockhopper set of skis but I didn't so my skis copped it. :cry::cry::cry: Nevertheless still happy to get a workout.

10. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Nice to see you out there, EB. Hard going on skate skis but at least we were out there. In June. Mr Tee had the right idea with the op shop skis.

#210 chriscross, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Maybe you are right about the grooming on a thin cover of snow but not everything is going 100 % right up there on that hill. Show me the web cameras for instance.

12. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

After speaking to the mtn today its amazing anyone hot a ski.

In fact cm for cm I’d say LMtn are doing much better than BBaw.

No one grooms < 10 cm esp when it was warm & wet post ‘dump’ & max temps ~ 10c prior to the snowfalls. Crazy for lateish May!

Think I’ll wait until it can be groomed.
    Frustrated skaters should always have at least a light classic set up with a touch of width for umm ‘float’.

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yes , All XC skiers should always carry a set of boots and Pattern based rock hopper OP SHOP skis for rock hopper conditions.
    I hit a lot of hazards and had more falls than I usually would but I still got some turns and a work out.
    I know the skiing will be so much better with 20 cms of cover and some grooming but I am a lost cause and just want to XC ski. MSG is reporting 17 cms at the MSG toboggan run, with Fair Nordic skiing on almost complete cover with some grooming and PV has cleared the road. I am almost sold on trying MSG on Sunday before it all melts. It would be a 0530 wake up time and 0630 departure time.

snowgum likes this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Well there is enough manufactured snow to allow children to toboggan on but as far as XC skiing goes the situation is quite poor and we are all waiting for the snow to arrive on Sunday morning. The follow up low pressure system looks like it will slide away and NOT bring any snow early next week to LM that is worthy of mention so far.That is the Muppet news flash on LM from me ( The Clayton's Lake Mtn. web site wallah ).

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

http://www.janebunn.net/lake-mountain
    Ms.Bunn thinks LM may only receive 5 cm of snow on Sat. night. The heavy R**n that is predicted to come before the snow fall will obliterate whatever icy patchy cover is already there. If one is to go and rock hopper XC ski there then on Sunday would be the best option.

#215 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  16. teckel

Lake Mountain is reporting 60cm of manmade snow on the toboggan runs, the snow play area and the 700m long ski loop. That web cam of Baw Baw does not reflect Lake Mountain at all. But it would be helpful to have webcams at LM!

17. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yes Teckels report is the most accurate and most reliable .
    Melbs temps forecast to max out at 18c for Fri,Sat & Sun.

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Car Park is bare of snow and ice .Not even enough ice to chill your orange juice.

19. Ubiquitous Steve

20. Ubiquitous Steve

Socked in now on the toboggan slope....looks dampish!

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Falls Ck. on Tuesday week will be very good for a mid week Heathy spur loop tour, I hope. If LM can hold its cover , if it gets some to speak of, and add to it a bit then maybe I will go there again later this month. This season, so far , looks like the higher elevation locations will be the best options for XC skiing.

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/lake-mountain.shtml
    BOM have issued their trusty 4 day forecast. Minimum temperatures are looking a tad warm for LM.Most terrain above 1650 M. will get a better snow fall deal out of the approaching low pressure system i.e. Bogong High Plains( Falls) and Paw Paw Plain( Hotham).

23. teckel

9:30 am on a weekend will not guarantee you a park in the top carpark. Aim for an hour earlier.

24. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Tuesday 16th is still looking good for me. although maybe monday might be more fun weather wise?

teckel likes this.
  25. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Wed. next week looks set for proper top up of snow according the automated modelling.
    Hold your horses if you are looking at going to LM next week.

26. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

last min weather :eek:

27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

This Friday at LM now looks like giving us more of non snow like precipitation :-0 . Friday next week looks optimal for XC skiing but that is a long way off and the automated modelling keeps changing like the weather ;-P .

29. Ubiquitous Steve

Mizzle Mt looking a little damp.......hope they don’t run out of hot chocolate !:whistle:

30. Ubiquitous Steve

31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

WE can use this photo as a before and after picture record, esp. by Sat. next week if all goes well.
    This Sunday looks like rock hopper Nordic skiing if you take the R**N into account on Friday. Friday week, if the snow fall later next Week eventuates, will be IMHO, the pick of the XC ski days ahead.

#231 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  32. teckel

Trees are down over the road to Lake Mountain. Therefore, no access to the resort until they're cleared. VicRoads are estimating 3 hours, so there should be access to the resort from about midday today (Thursday).

33. teckel

The road to the mountain re-opened at about 1pm

Simon11 likes this.
  34. Mister Tee on XC Skis

https://www.ski.com.au/reports/australia/vic/lakemtn/forecast.html
    https://www.lakemountainresort.com.au/trail-conditions/

Yes, LM got some rock hopper cover. The R**n tomorrow may wipe this out but if Saturday can snow enough at LM then Sunday at LM will not be a total rock hopper XC ski debacle.Friday next week should be , we hope, a non rock hopper XC ski day if Ms. Bunn's automated forecasts even come half true.
    Mt. Buffalo got a dusting too with more snow coming. The Heathy spur loop at Falls/ BHP is rated as fair at present and grooming up there is underway but give it until Monday and it should, One hopes, IMHO be good and fresh.

#234 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  35. Goski

Goski Addicted

https://www.lakemountainresort.com.au/trail-conditions/
    Rain rain go away! Today's moisture falling as snow at LM and a top-up tomorrow will be motivation for a first ski of the season for my lot. Me too if I can fit my new ankle into a boot for a conservative trundle. It is still a bigger than it was pre-op. Staying tuned for this afternoon's report.

36. teckel

All trails skate groomed today, except Jubilee. Looking very nice.

37. teckel

Resort entry closed because the carparks aren't cleared of snow. They're clearing them now.

#237 teckel, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  38. teckel

No more resort entry for the day.

39. Fonster

Fonster First Runs

Well I've had my first XC trip of the year to Lake Mountain. We all had to wait well over an hour to enter as they were clearing the car park. I got a good 2 hours in: Snow Gum Trail, Echo Flat and then back down Muster Trail.
    Tree fallen over Muster Trail between markers 17 and 18.
    Snow was a bit crusty to start with but grew softer. No classic grooming but I had a good ski nonetheless and worked on getting my ski legs back.
    It's very windy, the weather is closing in and Ski Patrol told me they may close the trails soon. Lots of branches are falling, including one landing in the middle of the track in front of a group of us.
    I'm glad I came up- it was a good start to my XC season. I've added pics to show state of the trails.

Attached Files:

40. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

This is what we want. Well done.

41. Goski

Goski Addicted

Debacle at LM today. We waited 90 minutes from 9:20 in the traffic line before the entry gate while the top car park was being cleared. Then the idiots in the gate made my driver fit his chains on the up spec kluger which can be locked in AWD but AWD subarus, outlanders, other klugers and BMW X5s were allowed through minus chains. While the second chain was being fitted I went back to query why they were failing to apply their condition and I was told a lot of rubbish ftom both gate attendants. The lady said "apparently some AWDs are different to others" but couldnt explain why she was ketting them all through....wtf? The dopey guy who made us fit chains told me if driver told him their vehicle was 4WD that meant they didn't have to fit chains. Again..wtf??? That on top of the utter failure to prepare the resort for access was a crappy start to the day.

42. Goski

Goski Addicted

We got 60 minutes of skiing before we were turned back by a patroller on a skidoo due to tree fall risk. This was becoming a worry and I was going to turn us around soon so we weren't annoyed at the directive. It is going to be a serious ongoing issue as the dead trees degrade further. This issue and the terrible lack of resort management lead me to think we'll give LM a miss for now.

GS and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  43. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Well...today was one of those $#!T days at LM. Look, we are a big fan of the resort, being so close to Melbourne and has fairly challenging XC trails but today I think communication was below par.
    Enthusiastic team EB arrived at the gate at about 8.10am behind a couple of cars already there. We were told they were clearing the roads; give them 15 mins. Ok....at 8.45am still not opening. Another 15mins they were told. Sure thing. Then another hour past then.....nothing. About 9.45am everyone was quite agitated. FINALLY at 10.15am we started moving! Yaayyy! We had an AWD so we fitted chains on but then again we thought the road was cleared so why needed the chains? (I'll explain in the next post why they imposed this on AWD). As we drove up, there were a couple of dicey spots.
    On top of all those morning curfuffle, the wind picked up throughout the day so it was safer to go out earlier (I mean it's late already right?? :confused:) Mr EB got an hour skiing while I tended to little missy. If you noticed a cute baby smiling at everyone in the cafe that's her. LOLLOLLOL
    Then it's my turn. Generally the cover was good, with a couple of watery spots. What I didn't expect was debris of trees...everywhere! Oh gosh, it is a ski sesh to be careful of. Mr EB recalled seeing a rather tall tree fell around the Camp away from the trails. When I stopped at the Woolybutt and Jubilee Link junction, the wind picked up a little bit and there's crackling sound everywhere. The sounds of tree branches snapping and ice falling from trees. Then I skied like Freddie Kruger was after me towards the Gap. Then skied up to the Triangle trying to find signal to send SOS (lol) but to no avail so just ended up going back to hut via the Muster Trail. Royston didn't look too good and it's windy. Hahaha. The home run on Muster trail was a tree run - literally. Either I was dodging tree debris or skied under a fallen tree! Haha. When I arrived at the hut, they announced that the trails were closed and I was lucky to have a ski. Well, I felt lucky to be alive!
    Today of all days, we didn't bring the baby carrier. That was the silver lining. Not bringing out the baby in today's weather. Just NO.
    Sorry for the essay but I am still quite perplexed by this morning.

44. Goski

Goski Addicted

Cover was complete on the trails we skied and they had been snowmobile groomed. Surface was damp with breakable crust on the trail edges but there was a good enough groomed width for a few skaters to pass us by. If the rain holds off it should last into next week. Check the wind forecast carefully. We had a large dead tree fall all the way across the trail about 30 metres ahead of us and we saw sizeable dead trees falling not far away from Echo Flat and the lower Snowgum trails. Returning on Taggerty trail was our little bit of downhill fun.

Simon11 likes this.
  45. Goski

Goski Addicted

The report this morning requires chains in AWD again. If you don't think conditions warrant with your snow driving experience, it's necessary simply upgrade your AWD verbally to a 4WD at the ticket gate. LM are going for the lowest denominator and even then they are not sincere about applying it.

46. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

@teckel @Xplora @Mister Tee on XC Skis

I have cleared out general chit chat going back a couple of weeks into a News & Weather Chat thread here.

Tecks if you could continue to report conditions you hear from your sources in this thread that would be appreciated.

Everyone else, please keep the chit chat in the new thread and maintain this one for just condition reports.

thanks

47. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Currently at LM. Can confirm outer and middle trails are closed. Echo flat is open. Light precipitation with the odd slow flake.

EquatorBunny and Richard like this.
  48. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

this is today, a bit late for today, but might help going into tomorrow

[​IMG]

me thinks this photo should be taken daily and put on the LM conditions page, and maybe updated as the sign changes?

#248 Simon11, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Fonster and EquatorBunny like this.
  49. Goski

Goski Addicted

If thinking of going there may I suggest calling them to see if the closed trails may be opened or if they will be closed indefinitely due to the tree fall risk.it was getting scary last Sunday seeing big dead tree trunks fall on the trails and in the forest just off the trail.

50. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If LM has 20 to 30 cms of snow at present and nearly all the Blue and Black runs are left ungroomed and closed to XC skiers then they can just forget me coming up there. Just FORGET IT! They have lost the plot.
    I had such a good day of XC skiing at Mt.Stirling on 15/7/19 that I wish to repeat that sort of Nordic ski experience over and over . Especially at a place which might be an arduously long day trip from Melb. BUT is administrated and managed by people who comprehend the needs of Nordic skiers.

#250 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019