1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report The Lake Mountain 2019 Trip Report, Conditions & Pics Thread

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by D-eye, Jan 1, 2019.

1. ranine

ranine First Runs

Went up today. Cover was very good on the lower parts, and deep but with occasional holes up top - looked to be undermined cover exposed by the grooming. All the holes were passable on snow except for a short bare patch on Taggerty after the Muster turnoff. In the last ~100m to the car park, some patches looked very marginal late arvo, and are probably gone if the showers continued.

Echo, Snowgum and Taggerty were groomed all along. Home was listed open & ungroomed, there were quite a few fallen branches under the snow and no signs of use besides a snowshoer and one ski track higher up.

Echo Flat was open to the Muster trail junction where the 3 trails were closed off. Muster appeared to be groomed uphill and down, along with the trail to Triangle Junction. Could hear chainsaws in the Muster area til around 2pm, quiet after.

Fonster likes this.
  2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

None of my customers saw any staff at all outside. Yep, they heard them clearing fallen branches etc, but no one at all around the village area. (I didn't ask them; they volunteered the info, as they thought it rather odd.) Don't know what happened to customer service people - maybe they had the day off?

Fonster likes this.
  3. SSF

SSF First Runs

For 10 years it has been obvious that dead trees leaning over the trails would have to fall at some stage and possibly cause fatalities. These trees have not been removed and consequently we've lost one week of skiing. Is my season ticket wasted? Over the next few seasons more dead trees will fall on the trails. What was management doing all these years? Putting warning boards around? Thanks for telling us the obvious "Falling trees, skiing at own risk"

GS and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

In my pre season report on LM's trails in May I saw many fallen trees including one that had obliterated some important signage on The Jubilee track and some had blocked the Long Plain loop. These trails have yet to be opened this season. Mt.Stirling also has falling ice, falling twigs, bark and branches/trees. The Ski Patrol at Mt.Stirling do their best to keep the ski routes open. Wearing a helmet for protection against the drop bears while skiing also comes in handy for other falling debris.

5. Goski

Goski Addicted

Very odd to have no staff visible at the base. Maybe they were all attending a training session on the importance of snow clearing carparks before opening time and what cars need chains?

GS, Mister Tee on XC Skis and teckel like this.
  6. Goski

Goski Addicted

The post-bushfire dead tree situation has finally gone critical. I imagine it would take weeks or months to reduce the risk along all the trails. If it had been done out of season for the last decade the felled trees could have been removed via the trails and used for something. Does this mean xc is effectively over for 2019 at LM bar the easy lower trails?

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am taking it as " find somewhere else to blow your $57 for a day of Post beginner / intermediate/ easy black runs XC skiing". I don't think under the present management XC skiing will get much more than a perfunctory nod at LM.
    It used to boast being "Australia's Premier XC skiing location". Now it is a long way from that. I cannot see things improving at LM either.
    Perhaps we the rusted on Nordic skiing patrons should form a lobby group and demand to meet the numero uno at LM to show her we are not amused?. I hear she does not ski!!.
    I am biting the bullet and planning more day trips to MSG and Mt. Stirling as well as snow camping at JB hut and skiing the DP to Hot Ham track, according to where the snow conditions are best. Falls Creek still has very good XC skiing but it is a quite a drive indeed , as are Mt. Buffalo and J B Hut.

8. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

It cannot be that difficult for patrollers on skidoos to take out chainsaw and deal with these issues on a day to day basis ....Team Bears are at a loss to explain management on this mountain at the moment !
    So we would expect that this work is being undertaken at present in conjunction with grooming and patrolling??For close on sixty dollars a visit ....one would expect these things to be happening routinely?

9. Ubiquitous Steve

Some outer trails closed by fallen trees?Well let’s hope chainsawing is taking place as I post ??

10. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

i wonder if the "clearing the tails" issue is due to lack of management, or lack of man power? I'll volunteer a day or two with a chainsaw if it helps clear some trails.

11. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears don’t know?Teckel would have some idea...
    MHO is that there is nothing anymore dangerous over those trails than anywhere else.....given that in high wind with snow loading more Care is required.

So by now they should have inspected and cleared most of their trails and groomed them with what ever machine they have....

Then they should have updated their internet page about trails?
    But hopefully they will be doing these works before all skiers defect to Stirling in protest?

12. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

I am afraid that I have to say that all of your comments about the trees are correct. In the high wind conditions, the trails are quite dicey, especially past the Camp. Mr EB mentioned that those once big trees that shade the trails were now reduced to big sticks post the 2009 bushfires.
    While we managed to dodge tree debris and stuffs on the trails, I imagine that it'll be much better to close the trails and make them safe for everyone. We might be up tomorrow so I'll try to report as soon as we are back from the mountain.

13. LSki

LSki First Runs

[​IMG]
    This was the trails that were open at the start of the day. Muster was opened after all the chainsawing yesterday :). Towards the end of the day they closed Royston.

The snow had decent cover at the higher parts of the mountain but was patchy / slushy closer to the resort. Some sections were also kinda icy, which I found hard to grip on (though that could just be me...) I'm not sure it'll last well enough for some xc skiing on the weekend unless there's a decent snowfall.

14. teckel

The trees would have come down on the weekend, with the wind and the weight of snow on them. Clearing all trails of potential falling limbs and trees would be a mammoth undertaking - and definitely a summer job. Then there's the issue that the trails are in national park. There could be major logistical issues - I'm not qualified to comment on this.

As to trail grooming, apparently their Husky groomer is out of service - needing a part or something. So, they're reduced to grooming only with the snowmobile.

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Why can't the LM website have a daily snap shot of this information board regarding XC ski trail conditions?
    I am not planning any trips to LM ,via the front gate, for a while.

ARitchie and Goski like this.
  16. Ubiquitous Steve

The trail report should appear on the Lake Mt web site.....and should be updated every day as necessary.

Granted the storm brought down some trees.....however the skidoos take gear right to site...they ain’t lugging chainsaws through the bush for kilometers!

If Stirling can deal with tree fall then we would hope Lake Mt can do likewise.

So last year worked ok?So what difference has 12months made?

Good of Mr T for getting a response from Lake Mt Management:thumbs:

It sounds like they are sensitive to snow forums criticisms....so hopefully they will get the necessary work completed to groom and clear all tracks with reasonable cover.

Now if they fail....well the will face justified criticism ...;)

17. Goski

Goski Addicted

Serious xc skiers would want more than the lower trails half. Perhaps they want the $57 revenue per skier car and have the trail restrictions be an unpleasant surprise for what used to be an important customer group.
    In the current tree situation an afternoon posting by LM of which trails are expected to be open the following day plus the expected grooming status would be ideal but that's a pipedream with the current arrangement at LM.

18. Goski

Goski Addicted

It's been another year for the mass of dead tree trunks to weaken. Seems like it's now been long enough since 2009 for a lot more to have become dangerously unstable. Seeing several come down at once not far from us on Snowgum trail and one fall almost all the way across Echo Flait trail 30M ahead of us was very unsettling.

19. Ubiquitous Steve

Is that today while u were skiing?Or from last few days when it was windy?

I know full well that after big fires the dead poles are comming diwn across Track into Keppels like skittles...DSE tells me that it is now a headache for them as they have to make tracks reasonably safe...
    And H&S issues are complex when dealing with large dead trees....they can only be removed with excavator they inform me!

Still the “premier resort for XC”should be planning ahead...it should be discussing issues with Parks and DSE and who ever to get organised .....they have to have this in their management plan!

They need to deal with these issues if they want to spruik themselves as they do!

Team Bears are hoping that management up there knuckles down and gets to work for the benefit of skiers and local businesses dependant on the visitor no’s .

Sure if it’s very windy....close some trails....erect some signs in reference to canopy hazard otherwise ....

Nobody is expecting them to deal with every hazard potential..just to clear fallen trees/limbs from tracks and perhaps those suspended waiting to fall in the next breeze.

20. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Sorry it's late... again
    Conditions were average
    [​IMG]

21. Ubiquitous Steve

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Please see my post on the LM chat thread.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  23. Ubiquitous Steve

Interesting developments......it does not bode well if Lake Mt Management cannot be quoted on this forum.

We are all interested in getting their “train” back on the rails.They are not being unfairly critized here!

This is quite bewildering to Team Bears and probably many forum readers!

24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

You know I love using my chainsaw. I had it serviced and all. It idles well now. I was ready to clear Long Heath Trail on my own when it snowed and I changed over to planks at the end of May. We could get a bit done. I have a chainsaw handling certificate/ ticket/qualification so PV can't say no !!

Simon11 likes this.
  25. djam

djam One of Us

I expect you will need to check with DELWP first. And fill in the permit (fees apply)

Simon11 likes this.
  26. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears give up on the politics!

But we’re pleased with the Keppels Hut Walking Track Upgrade....I think even DSE are pleased too:thumbs:

27. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Slept the whole way back. Mr EB wasn't impressed. lol but now I can report!
    We arrived around 9.30am. Mr EB went out for an hour while I tended to little miss. Came back and we went out altogether. He recalled the trails being icier and now much slushier. Well, after 2 school groups came by that's what had happened!
    Pretty much as per Simon11's post ^^ most opened trails were skiable. Woollybutt wasn't open :( Mr EB said Panorama wasn't groomed and full of footprints. Oh those trees on the Return Muster Trail are now gone. No need to duck under a big tree now. lol
    Despite the average snow cover, it was a lovely sunny day for a ski! The wind died down later and it was just a nice day out on the snow.
    We need a couple of cold nights to keep this base going and another snow top up.

Fonster, Simon11 and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Thanks for the report. Tuesday & Wed. next week look like the days when the top up of snow will appear. If 10 cm of snow do fall down to 1200 M ASL then XC skiing from Mt. Margaret Gap out to Keppel's hut or up the Blue Range road ,theoretically , becomes feasible for rock hopping. You will need the Rooftops topographical map of the Buxton /Rubicon/ Marysville area and some OP SHOP PB XC skis.

29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Chain sawing is generally a green season thing unless a log falls down in front of my car when coming or going from a back country XC ski trip.

30. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Simon11 likes this.
  31. teckel

I think I can see the Husky groomer on the 360 cam - indicating perhaps, that it's back working? :woohoo:
    Edit: It may just be the one they use for the toboggan runs.

#281 teckel, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  32. Ubiquitous Steve

What huskies pulling the groomer?:p
    Good...things are improving at our elite xc Hub!
    Hope everybody has had enjoyable day and gained some solitude experience at the furthest point from Lake Mt Carpark .;)

33. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Team EB went up today. Mr EB had the first ski and according to him, it was the best grooming job he had seen thus far this season and fast cold snow. Yaay to the groomers! However as he went back he felt that the temp was raising steadily so it might be slushy later on.
    Then when it was my turn, there were a couple of school groups that softened the trails already. LOLLOL nevermind so I went to my usual trails and it was ok - Woollybutt was amazing as usual. On the way back, I decided for the Muster trail but it was already sooo patchy so if you are going up in the next couple of days, maybe avoid it until we have some more snow. Should have just skied Snowgum Trail back to the hut.
    Sadly as we left at 2pm, there's very light precipitation so I feel a bit sadddd... :cry::cry::cry:

34. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Thanks for the report. IMHO The Skiing @beefa skiing and I had in late May and early June up at LM has yet to be bettered so far in terms of conditions for 2019 at LM .It was deep ,fresh, groomed continuous cover.

Maybe August will bring us something like that to ski on at LM?. We will wait and see. Mt.Stirling is much further away for a day trip :-0 and has some gnarly descending bends on the upper - mid mountain trails which are a bit much when they are rock hard ice.
    Come On LM give us the good stuff :).

EquatorBunny and Simon11 like this.
  35. Snowplowqueen

Snowplowqueen Hard Yards

Sunday snow report
    Lovely weather and great day considering the report.
    Lower trails ... confirm poor skiing on poor (or no) cover
    Upper trails ... report says fair, I’d say wollybutt was good skiing on good cover (and has been groomed)
    Panorama - the steep hill just before loop was skis off, but the loop was reasonable skiing a couple of bare patches but no skis off bits and ungroomed another loop of wollybutt would have been better
    Royston was complete cover a fair ways down but I groomed and very lumpy/unpleasant. Probably 800m walk on grass

Attached Files:

Ubiquitous Steve and Simon11 like this.
  36. V-2

V-2 First Runs

Hi Everyone,

I have only stumbled across this website and forum just recently so I am not sure who is who but you all seem to be pretty dedicated cross country skiers, which is good to see, and I have enjoyed the conversation so far. I hope this is the appropriate place to ask, if not please delete this message or direct me elsewhere, but I am wanting to get some input from experienced skiers and about the trails of Lake Mountain Resort. I am publishing a new cross country ski magazine and if anyone is interested in contributing then I would be most grateful.

If you are interested please send me an email to peter(dot)green(at)thev2journal(dot)com

Thank you,
    Peter

37. Ubiquitous Steve

They need a bit of a clean up on the “Little Mountain”.Not Just metaphorically ....some are offering their services for track clearing even!

Good luck with this project.

Make sure reference is made to Keppels Hut Walking Track Or Team Bears will feel miserable!

38. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Lake Mtn. when it is good ( i.e 20 cm fresh snow on all trails and groomed) is a great place to XC ski. Sadly this season , thus far , we have seldom seen such conditions and some of us have had to go further and higher to get our XC ski fix.
    T.

39. teckel

It's started snowing and will continue for the next few days - at least until Sunday.
    Chains required for all 2WD vehicles today.
    You can safely assume the same will apply until Sunday or Monday.

40. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM is looking good with 20 cms overnight!!!.

41. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

More on the way very shortly looking at the radar.

42. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Maroondah highway should be avoided today with snow forecast down to 500m and falling trees quite possible near the Dom Dom saddle .
    I will decide whether to ski at LM tomorrow by 4 pm today. I will call the resort and look at VICROADS' website.

43. Mister Tee on XC Skis

44. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Looking good on the snow cam. I was just on the phone with the resort. Fresh snow up till the knee in some spots! Weee!!!

45. euexp

euexp Hard Yards

Four people are being treated by paramedics after a tree crashed onto a car on the Black Spur on the Maroondah Highway at Fernshaw about 9.40am.

Three people remain trapped and are seriously injured, Ambulance Victoria said. A child is being rushed to the Royal Children's Hospital in a stable condition.

46. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

:(

47. cantski

cantski First Runs

Hi Mister Tee where did you get your intel about falling trees at Dom Dom saddle? We are heading up tomorrow early morning but now I've got the fear! Wondering how to get to Marysville without going through a forest...

48. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

It's quite probably cleared by now

https://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

49. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Check VicTraffic - https://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/incidents/3796008
    You can go through Yea, Alexandra, Buxton to Marysville. It's a long way though.
    I travel the Black Spur a couple of times a week. I will stay well away until the weather settles.

50. neilmny

neilmny Addicted