1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report The Lake Mountain 2019 Trip Report, Conditions & Pics Thread

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by D-eye, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I thought I heard a tree had fallen on a car at Fernshaw on my radio.Maybe I was hearing things?
    Take extreme care anywhere in forest with this weather system....

Opps I see that it has already been posted in forum .Sorry for this.

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

VICROADS NEWSFLASH.
    1400 hours
    Aug.9th 2019.
    Healesville to Narbethong road is now shut both ways. There has been a serious accident involving a vehicle.The emergency services are attending.

All Through traffic should head for Yea via The Melba Hwy or through Flowerdale.
    The LM to Woods Point road near Cambarville has been shut. There are big trees down on the road.
    https://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/incidents/3796230
    https://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/incidents/3796008

So I am iffy about skiing at LM tomorrow. The LM ski trails have been groomed and LM are reporting 25 cms of cover except for The Jubilee trail which has not been groomed. Where is the love for the black runs ?

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

That decides it. Mt. Stirling via Flowerdale and Mansfield will be the day trip to XC ski tomorrow unless I decide Mt.St.G. is the go . An Update from MSG is that there are 30 cms of fresh snow in the car park from MSG. At TBJ , they have 15 cms of snow and more is falling at TBJ . It looks the goods on the TBJ web cam.The Rd . from Mirimbah is clear and chains are being fitted to all 2 WD.

4. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Don't think you should refer to someone who had a tree land on their car at Fernshaw and trap 4 people as a muppet Mr. Tee. o_O

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Sorry about that chief, a force of habit having been raised on that TV show from a tender age. It is no laughing matter. I agree, it is a serious matter and the victims are blameless. Indeed one hopes that the poor unfortunate souls will be extricated by our tireless emergency services personnel and survive and recover, Insha'Allah.
    However I have predicted that that very part of the road should be avoided at all costs on this very day. It is a shame people took a chance on their luck. I hope they will be alright.

6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It is a most unsettling to learn of this.
    Today is not a day to travel on country/mountain/ forest roads, anywhere unless it is unavoidable .IMHO , If Forum members decide to go to Mt. Stirling or Mt. St. Gwinear tomorrow instead of LM, then I would recommend taking a chainsaw in the boot of your car, and knowing how to use it safely. The SES cannot be everywhere and at present I would guess or think they are at present far too busy.
    The Road from Whittlesea to Yea sees timber falling down from time to time .Today is very windy and slippery out there on the roads.

7. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

There has been so many trees coming down on the Black Spur and in far less severe weather that I am glad to be clear of it any time I travel my 2 return trips a week. They's bloody big trees too!

8. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Be careful out there guys! Been hearing a lot of sad news on the roads today. :(

Good news is the race at Lake Mountain this Sunday is on. Then the next question will be how early should we be up there? Haha

9. GChen

GChen First Runs

No updates from traffic.vicroads or it lags behind a lot?
    Hope victims are in good condition now and the road can be clear by tomorrow morning.

10. GChen

GChen First Runs

Lake Mountain is an awkward place. Last year I went there, but the road from Marysville to Lake Mountain was closed. Waited in the town of Marysville for 5 hours till middle of the afternoon, and no progress. So headed home.
    Basically, drove more than 4 hours for nothing. :-(

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  11. Ubiquitous Steve

If shit it’s the fan ....drive on to Igloo have a coffee and a hamburger by the wood stove......

12. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Spur was closed for more than 5 hrs today. Police told me that someone had been killed. Could not take my English visitors to LM but our plan B was better than someone else's tragic day. Radio announced Maroondah hwy open again at 4 pm.

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am avoiding the Maroondah Hwy. until the cold front / chaos passes i.e. Monday. That could mean skiing at LM on Friday next week once things have settled down. There is still more snow to come. I have packed the car with skis, shovel , chains, boots, poles, chainsaw, food etc. I am going to Mt.St.G. tomorrow :) . If you see me up there then say hello .

14. euexp

euexp Hard Yards

15. Ubiquitous Steve

Wind warning down from most of Vicco Black Spur Section should be a whole lot safer atm.
    Yes...one tragic event....statistical probability of this event is small.....but horrendous accident for that group and all emergency services attending.:(

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

17. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I had to go to Melbourne today via the Black Spur. I left here at 7:30am but was delayed as a tree was removed from the road. Had to come home via Yea.
    Trees come down all the time. This would be the first time in 20 years or more that a tree has hit a car. You'd have more chance of being involved in a head-on on an open highway. Don't let this event stop you from going to Lake Mountain, tragic as it is. As I said, trees fall all the time. We locals are used to it - it doesn't deter us.
    So don't let the doom sayers on this thread deter you.

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The chances of being hit by another huge falling tree are almost zero. Go ski at LM. You know you want to :).

19. teckel

FIFY

20. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I have a friend who wants to XC ski at LM . I think if the road is open then we might come to LM tomorrow instead of MSG. The BB rd. is shut from both approaches. I am not sure about the MSG rd..
    The LM web site says 2 WD & AWD must fit chains tomorrow. I have all terrain tyres on an AWD RAV 4. Maybe I should " verbally upgrade" ;-P to a 4 WD at the toll booth?

21. teckel

I trust you said that tongue in cheek. It's people like that who caused the inclusion of AWDs in the first place. They will be vigilant...............

22. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

How do they define 4wd?

23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I was joking but I can drive in snow and ice unlike a lot of the snow ball throwers, bless their purses.I drove over Mt. Hotham from Harrietville in sketchy conditions in late June. Indeed having fitted chains by my own volition and operated the horseless carriage with caution nothing bad happened.

24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

A Nissan Patrol driven by an idiot in snow and ice without chains is no better than a Mazda sedan on snow and ice.

25. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Spoken like a person with a financial interest Teckel. You know that there has been more than one car hit and you also should know that more trees have been falling in recent times than ever. I have travelled the spur very regularly for around 47 years, thousands of times and in all that time have never so many trees falling on the road. There was no doom saying just a logical point of staying out of the spur with the heavy rain and high winds expected.

26. Ubiquitous Steve

Just take care out on the roads..........the wind must be funnelling up the Watts Ck catchment because around Fernshaw seems to get a few more trees coming down than elsewhere.

So it doesnot look like a tree that was loaded with snow like the Dom Dom Saddle...it just blew over with roots not holding in the sodden ground.

Trees will always come down even in Still summer conditions.But more come down obviously in gales.
    I would not stop on this road atm but only at Fernshaw or Dom Dom where less overhanging branches can cause grief.The longer your vehicle is stationary the higher the probability of a tree hit....well Team Bears say that!

So at Lake Mt....they should be avoiding any hold ups that keep cars idling for any extended period.Chain fitting bays excepted.

Thus Vic Rds need to block access at Healesville and Narbethong should any major holdups or rescues occur.You don’t want bumper to bumper stationary traffic up there during windy weather !

Vic Rds should really have a crew stationed at Fernshaw over 9to 5 over this weekend.
    Front end loader and a crew with chainsaws!Just on standbye in their truck for the busy weekend.

27. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

Not only are these real people who died, there is fact only 2 degrees of separation from me as the lady who was killed was a friend of my wife's bestie. My wife has now gone to the hospital to take them clothes. They were snow play types heading up to Lake Mountain for the day. Very sad indeed. Personally, I think that the plantation along the Black Spur is more dangerous than an organically grown forest. The trees are all of a similar age (planted in 1940) and reach straight up to the sky. Very beautiful to look at but there's always a slight chance one will fall on your car.

28. Snowplowqueen

Snowplowqueen Hard Yards

Any condition reports from today?

I'm planning to head up tomorrow assuming road opens ... now the decision of which skis!

29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/lake-mtn-xc-ski-trip-10-8-19-nuking-down-with-powder-snow.85500/

I will post a full trip report soon with photos.

It was fricking amazing ungroomed powder snow XC skiing up there today but be prepared to detour home via Yea and Whittlesea as we were obliged to( Numpty central on the Black Spur, a car crash , no go with that route ).

LM Staff were instructing punters to be fitting chains almost as soon as you leave Marysville to drive up the hill , or so it would seem . Do take a chainsaw, snow shovel , window squeegee thingy for removing snow from your car, all in the boot.
    We had blizzard conditions in the car park but nicer conditions up the ski trails in the creaking dead trees. There was not too much wind up there which was very good.
    It was too cold and snowing too hard to stop for long. With no huts a la Mt. Stirling we just snacked and skied.
    Glide wax and Fischer de icer will be a boon to your ski day. The snow is so fresh it clogged up the Pattern Bases on TP's skis and on my skis at least three times today. Once you apply the SWIX GLIDE WAX you can make those fish scales buzz like a power saw down the hills on the Jubilee trail and The Royston trail .
    Crashes do not hurt in such soft dry fresh cover.

#329 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Simon11 likes this.
  30. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Sadly, I knew I remembered another story from this year about a tree falling and killing the occupants of a motor vehicle, and I was right: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-15/man-and-boy-killed-by-falling-gum-tree/11309062

Not on the Black Spur, but a similar situation to the recent one, and just as tragic.

31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

@Snowplowqueen . Skinny XC skis, either skating or classic will not work too well . The snow is too fresh , too deep and the grooming was wiped out in one hour by constant snow falling .
    BC XC skis were the best choice. I used my slim Fischer BC XC skis today but my Madshus Epochs would have floated better on the surface but would have been very slow and sticky. My ski buddy struggled on classic track skis today . They were not wide enough for the conditions.

Simon11 likes this.
  32. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

Good advice! When I go up Monday, I'll take both my skaters and my BC XC skis. Have never ever taken the heavy metal up to Lake Mountain but there's a first time for everything. My waxing skis might finally pay off, lol.
    Oh and if anyone is interested I've offered a ride and cost share from Melbourne on another thread for Monday …. hint hint

33. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Take SWIX GLIDE WAX and reapply it every hour or so . We had to or we became 'stuck'. A spray can of WD 40 for de icing the NNN BC bindings would have been handy but I left the can of it in the Tee Mobile back at The Snow ball chucking village. Another old hand up there said he sometimes used "Mr. Sheen".

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  34. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

Snow sticking to my glide zones is usually the least of my problems. And it's been a while since I've used kick wax, only klister. I might have an old tin of glide wax around.

35. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Use the easy applicator SWIX GLIDE WAX. @teckel should have some in her shop. I always keep SWIX GLIDE WAX, FISCHER PB de Icer, an emergency Bivvy bag and other goodies in my day pack.

36. Snowplowqueen

Snowplowqueen Hard Yards

Doesn’t look like I’m going to get out :-/ lovely drive and breakfast in Healesville though

37. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Take the Melba Hwy and ski at Mt. Stirling. The whole Mtn. is rated as excellent there and the skiing starts from TBJ ( car park).

#337 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  38. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Conditions today are excellent. A bit soft at the lower parts but the upper trails are a bit better

39. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

Classic better than skating today even though the trails are all groomed. Thatsinkingfeeling

Attached Files:

EquatorBunny and Simon11 like this.
  40. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

41. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Team EB returned today to LM. It was ah-may-zzinnggg!!! Say that with a jump too. :D
    But we were skating so it was hard work LOLLOLLOL

42. teckel

I'm back on board. My internet access died on Saturday night necessitating a trip to a Telstra shop today. :( I'm now back.
    (I did manage a couple of posts in the meantime using my phone, but I hate doing that)

nezumi likes this.
  43. teckel

Some skiers (including some of my customers) skiing on the main toboggan run yesterday morning. Because the resort could not be accessed, the few skiers who camped there overnight had the resort to themselves. And they made the most of it!!! :D :thumbs:

TheFake likes this.
  44. Mister Tee on XC Skis

45. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Driving in the mountains is a spiritual experience...

Mister Tee on XC Skis and teckel like this.
  46. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Trails today are icy, fast and consolidated. Windy all over the mountain, even up at panorama. Bring sunglasses. If you see me, say hello :D:skier::emoji_sun_with_face::emoji_call_me:

47. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Thanks for the photos. How was Royston Trail to ski on , going down the hill? Did you have to cook off some speed?

48. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Yeah just a bit ;) :whistle:
    in the morning it was rock hard ice and super fast
    It got chopped up a little by midday which slowed it down a little but still good.

All-in-all a great day of skiing.

49. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It is often better to wait until 10 or 11 am to tackle some runs/terrain once it has softened a bit.

50. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

Me, I used to like to get there at 8 am on days like that! :cool: