The little things - what are your unusual snow essentials

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Packing the car for a day trip tomorrow got me thinking about what to take to the snow. I've only really done multiple day trips, not so much day trips, so I'm thinking of things that will be useful for a single day.

Other than the usual minimum requirements of clothes, boots and equipment (board/skis) I will take:
  • A robust chamois/towel to wipe the boards down at the end of the day
  • A tarp or ground cover and gardening gloves, for use when fitting chains
  • A soft bristled brush from a dustpan and brush set, for quickly sweeping excess snow off of boards and boots.
  • Plastic bags/tubs to put wet gear in for the drive home
  • On snow: lip balm, sunscreen, chocolate

I'm not looking to pack food for a day trip, instead making the decision to support the on-mountain businesses that have already had a truncated season.

What are your other unusual items that you make sure you always take (and that are often left off a standard day-packing or trip-packing list)?

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Packing the car for a day trip tomorrow got me thinking about what to take to the snow. I've only really done multiple day trips, not so much day trips, so I'm thinking of things that will be useful for a single day.

Other than the usual minimum requirements of clothes, boots and equipment (board/skis) I will take:
  • A soft bristled brush from a dustpan and brush set, for quickly sweeping excess snow off of boards and boots.

I'm not looking to pack food for a day trip, instead making the decision to support the on-mountain businesses that have already had a truncated season.

What are your other unusual items that you make sure you always take (and that are often left off a standard day-packing or trip-packing list)?
As my day trips to Stirling from west of Bendigo entailed a 3.5 hour drive each way (much before dawn and after nightfall) I would always purchase some diet coke or other caffeinated soft drink to chug away on during the drive. I would also pack a pillow so I could power nap in comfort on the way home as I invariably would find myself nodding off around Rushworth. The pillow helped me nap in relative comfort and after 10-15 minutes I would be bright eyed and bushy tailed again and able to complete the kangaroo infested drive.

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017

Spade / Shovel to help dig car out, ice scrapper and water for windscreen and windows (if snow forecast).

If skiing with my son and nephews (10 yrs), I pop some chocolate in their jackets with a emergency whistle... paranoid but like to know they can whistle if they get lost!).

Oh... lollipops and sick bags (depends which mountain!).

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Spade / Shovel to help dig car out, ice scrapper and water for windscreen and windows (if snow forecast).

If skiing with my son and nephews (10 yrs), I pop some chocolate in their jackets with a emergency whistle... paranoid but like to know they can whistle if they get lost!).

Oh... lollipops and sick bags (depends which mountain!).

I haven't been lucky enough to need anything to dig the car out yet, but I'll keep the fingers crossed.

We've been pretty fortunate thus far with Master 5, he hasn't had any difficulties with car sickness as yet - but I will still probably take along some boiled sweets or something for both of us. He's only going to be riding in lessons or with me, so no need for a whistle yet, but that's a good one for future.

As my day trips to Stirling from west of Bendigo entailed a 3.5 hour drive each way (much before dawn and after nightfall) I would always purchase some diet coke or other caffeinated soft drink to chug away on during the drive. I would also pack a pillow so I could power nap in comfort on the way home as I invariably would find myself nodding off around Rushworth. The pillow helped me nap in relative comfort and after 10-15 minutes I would be bright eyed and bushy tailed again and able to complete the kangaroo infested drive.

I'm planning on brewing up a quad shot latte in a travel cup before I leave tomorrow. For better or worse, his lesson is only scheduled to be 4 hours long, so finishing around 1:30. I'm going to try for around another hour of riding together after that if we can, but definitely leaving before 3:00pm. We're headed to Baw Baw, but with the Tourist Road closed it looks like it's around a 3 hour drive - not great, but definitely doable. I'll think about the camping pillow to get a quick snooze in if he falls asleep in his seat on the way home.

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
I haven't been lucky enough to need anything to dig the car out yet, but I'll keep the fingers crossed.

We've been pretty fortunate thus far with Master 5, he hasn't had any difficulties with car sickness as yet - but I will still probably take along some boiled sweets or something for both of us. He's only going to be riding in lessons or with me, so no need for a whistle yet, but that's a good one for future.

I'm planning on brewing up a quad shot latte in a travel cup before I leave tomorrow. For better or worse, his lesson is only scheduled to be 4 hours long, so finishing around 1:30. I'm going to try for around another hour of riding together after that if we can, but definitely leaving before 3:00pm. We're headed to Baw Baw, but with the Tourist Road closed it looks like it's around a 3 hour drive - not great, but definitely doable. I'll think about the camping pillow to get a quick snooze in if he falls asleep in his seat on the way home.
Have a great time @nezumi!

One last tip for Baw Baw with a 5 year old is that it's a long walk uphill from slopes to car park (if home run is not open).

Mine was a skier so we used to stash walking boots with the lifties to change into at end of day.

Snow boarder will make it easier, but I'd probably still think about some walking boots for you if you are skiing!

I had also had a day pack that I could strap all our skis and boots onto (I looked like a sherpa!), but made that home trip much easier!

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Have a great time @nezumi!

One last tip for Baw Baw with a 5 year old is that it's a long walk uphill from slopes to car park (if home run is not open).

Mine was a skier so we used to stash walking boots with the lifties to change into at end of day.

Snow boarder will make it easier, but I'd probably still think about some walking boots for you if you are skiing!

I had also had a day pack that I could strap all our skis and boots onto (I looked like a sherpa!), but made that home trip much easier!

Both of us snowboard (he is insistent on doing the same as me). Fortunately I picked up an Osprey Kamber 18 daypack last year in anticipation of walking to lessons at Perisher. One of my criteria there was that the bag had to be able to carry two boards at once. :D

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I have a few of those carpet tiles for changing into and out of ski boots without walking all over the gravel and slush in socks.
I've got a rubber mat (looks like a very open weave) that I used when putting on big knee braces. Involved standing up in socks for a while, fiddling with straps. Advantage over carpet that it wouldn't hold water if snow etc did get on it.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
most of the above - check!
I’ve never been good at wearing gloves for any task involving even minimal dexterity eg fitting chains, but I have them anyway
also a decent torch that stands up by itself for chain fitting when it’s late afternoon and snowing

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Um, throw gear in car the night before. Get up early, get dressed, go.

That's the plan - but as we do so few day trips, I'm trying to think of anything and everything so that I can load the car now. Get up early will mean 5AM departure for us, so I want to make sure I have everything we need in there now :)

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
That's the plan - but as we do so few day trips, I'm trying to think of anything and everything so that I can load the car now. Get up early will mean 5AM departure for us, so I want to make sure I have everything we need in there now :)
Yep that’s my usual daytrip departure time. I have skis, boot bag which always has boots, gloves, goggles, balaclava stored within and a drink bottle in the car. Lay out clothing on the couch ready for the next morning. Ice scraper and folding shovel (never used) live in the car. Don’t have chains.

Only other thing I sometimes do is make some cereal in a Tupperware container to eat in the carpark.

Years of living in Jindy, it was always a daytrip :)

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Yep that’s my usual daytrip departure time. I have skis, boot bag which always has boots, gloves, goggles, balaclava stored within and a drink bottle in the car. Lay out clothing on the couch ready for the next morning. Ice scraper and folding shovel (never used) live in the car. Don’t have chains.

Only other thing I sometimes do is make some cereal in a Tupperware container to eat in the carpark.

Years of living in Jindy, it was always a daytrip :)
QBW or when it looks like it might be worth going, check the boot bags and an extra bag of spares. chains and a few other things in the car. grab the bags, skis and poles in the morning, although poles tend to stay in the car all season

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
@climberman i like the carpet square idea, fitting out a new office so I might grab some of the old carpet squares.

I also use tubs for sports gear or duffles, they stay in the car.

I would add we have one bag for helmets, in the helmet are goggles and gloves, and a separate padded bag for spare lenses. We also have a separate small bag with our spares (spare gloves etc), we always buy the kids next gear now on sale so that we have it when we need it.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
Pants. I’ve always got to remember them.
I actually got all the way to Jindy and then realised that I left my ski pants and jacket sitting on couch at home. Luckily had a jacket in car that was suitable and Larry Adlers had a nice pair of Helly Hansen shell pants on sale.

Reactions: LMB and skull

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
@climberman i like the carpet square idea, fitting out a new office so I might grab some of the old carpet squares.

I also use tubs for sports gear or duffles, they stay in the car.

I would add we have one bag for helmets, in the helmet are goggles and gloves, and a separate padded bag for spare lenses. We also have a separate small bag with our spares (spare gloves etc), we always buy the kids next gear now on sale so that we have it when we need it.
Yeah I grabbed mine from skip at the back of the office block I work in, after a renno.

Reactions: Telezacski

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
dry t-shirt & warm top,
this. Also a banana. After carb binging on mtn good to have a piece of fruit with potassium.
A coffee milkshake to sip on.
Suppose good AC in car is good to clear the windows when you have all that wet gear in the car.

Reactions: Snowy Joey

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
protector for the bumper, genuine or after market accessory

car is first and foremost a tool for helping us do what we want. looks come a long way down the priorities
We have paint guard on the bumper and I’m truly not that particular about the car, just find it easier with the kids to pull out a little stool to get boots on.

Reactions: currawong

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
protector for the bumper, genuine or after market accessory

car is first and foremost a tool for helping us do what we want. looks come a long way down the priorities
That is my entire motto in life. Things are tools and must be fit for purpose, that does not include looking pretty. If however goretex ski pants come in purple.....who am I to argue that they also look lovely.

hipo

One off
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2011
here and there
Outside chest pocket has a mini, mini torch, pealess whistle and Swiss knife attached via thin elestic to the inside of the pocket.
Chain case has beanie, waterproof garden gloves, a square of old tarp, powerful torch and a bent up coat hanger wire to pull the chain around the back of the tyre. (as well as the chains)
Collapsable tub, big enough to stand in to change in and out of boots and a folding plasic chair to make the process civilised.
Baby esky with chocolat milk, banana and muslie bars for end of day.
Ski bag has old tea towel, washing up brush to get snow off and liquid wax puc.

gettingtooold

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2012
geelong
Must have a carpet piece as mentioned above for chain fitting and getting changed. Old jacket and gloves for fitting chains. Duct tape and cable ties. Band aids as I always seem to cut myself on edges without gloves on at the start of the day.

Reactions: whether and LMB

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
We carry these in our pockets with power aid or one of the no sugar drink tabs.

easily carried in the pocket and when you go in for coffee just fill with water.

4A96E5C7-7416-4BA7-BDD9-31B8E4FD8A51.jpeg

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
We don’t do the car thing in Oz, but when we are OS we buy a couple of buckets for the boots, helmets and gloves typically go in there too, I also bring a 2x USB cig lighter 12v adapter and Sidas drywarmers. Put them in your boots as soon as you take them off, carry muddy boots inside buckets, plug them in to the wall when you get back to your accomm, then in the morning plug them into the boot 12v socket, warm dry boots when you get to your ski destination

Last edited:

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
We also have some camp stools which are nice to sit on when gearing up
We don’t do the car thing I in Oz, but when we are OS we buy a couple of buckets for the boots, helmets and gloves typically go in there too, I also bring a 2x USB cig lighter 12v adapter and Sidas drywarmers. Put them in your boots as soon as you take them off, carry muddy boots inside buckets, plug them in to the wall when you get back to your accomm, then in the morning plug them into the boot 12v socket, warm dry boots when you get to your ski destination
I did buy two of those off some bugger a while back but they haven’t been out of the box - blardy Covid!!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass