The little things - what are your unusual snow essentials

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Parallax

Hard Yards
May 24, 2016
VIC / NSW / ACT
Head torch in the glove box, old credit card works really well as an ice scraper so keep that in the glove box too, and a pair of washing up gloves in the bag with show chains.

Reactions: climberman

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
Tim Tams.
Snack size Mar Bars.

Indestructible, can take multiple stacks and still be edible. They never get to hard, don't get stuck in your teeth and taste pretty good cold. I rarely eat them otherwise.

Oh and like @CarveMan I can't live without my boot/glove warmer, especially when I'm doing the off mountain caravan thing.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I've now got one to add on, hopefully for this season only - face mask!

I was driving what is normally my wife's main car, as that is the one that we have snowchains for. I get about 30 minutes into the trip, and realise that I have forgotten to bring a facemask with me. >.<

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
In pockets (frickin hate skiing with a backpack):
- Buff type neck tube, doubles as helmet liner on cooler days
- goggle scraper thingy that slips onto glove
- glove liners
- phone
- keys

In the truck (all winter):
- snow brush/scraper
- tow strap and shackles
- logging chain
- shovel
- spare winter boots
- lock de-icer
- headlamp
- candles
- lighter
- butane mini torch
- bug juice for windscreen

Reactions: Chaeron

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
In pockets (frickin hate skiing with a backpack):
- Buff type neck tube, doubles as helmet liner on cooler days
- goggle scraper thingy that slips onto glove
- glove liners
- phone
- keys

In the truck (all winter):
- snow brush/scraper
- tow strap and shackles
- logging chain
- shovel
- spare winter boots
- lock de-icer
- headlamp
- candles
- lighter
- butane mini torch
- bug juice for windscreen
What is the lock de-icer? I have trouble with the lock on my flat lid on my ute getting iced up. Some sorta spray?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Most lock de-icers are methanol with a spray propellant. Little can the size of a lipstick will do three or four locks, which is about all I ever need in a winter. Usually happens in melt-refreeze conditions. Truck canopies and rear doors of vans are a classic for this, slight vacuum sucks in a lot of road slush.

Reactions: teleroo

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I've now got one to add on, hopefully for this season only - face mask!

I was driving what is normally my wife's main car, as that is the one that we have snowchains for. I get about 30 minutes into the trip, and realise that I have forgotten to bring a facemask with me. >.<
packet of surgical masks in the glove box for such occasions, and not just for the snow

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Reactions: nezumi

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
@climberman i like the carpet square idea, fitting out a new office so I might grab some of the old carpet squares.

I also use tubs for sports gear or duffles, they stay in the car.

I would add we have one bag for helmets, in the helmet are goggles and gloves, and a separate padded bag for spare lenses. We also have a separate small bag with our spares (spare gloves etc), we always buy the kids next gear now on sale so that we have it when we need it.
I use one of these for surfing and it works a treat for end of day skiing if I've access by car. You can make your own easy enough but this was sponsored so thumbs up. Better than carpet square (for surfing) because the longer fibres get the sand off. https://mukmat.com/

Reactions: climberman

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I use one of these for surfing and it works a treat for end of day skiing if I've access by car. You can make your own easy enough but this was sponsored so thumbs up. Better than carpet square (for surfing) because the longer fibres get the sand off. https://mukmat.com/
Nice!
If you could leave a few out the back of my office to get thrown out that’d be great!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jestersded

Hard Yards
Aug 18, 2019
I actually got all the way to Jindy and then realised that I left my ski pants and jacket sitting on couch at home. Luckily had a jacket in car that was suitable and Larry Adlers had a nice pair of Helly Hansen shell pants on sale.
meh... Pj's is where its at..

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 12.03.48 pm.png

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Thinking little stuff like microfibre towell for the inside of the windscreen..

And then thinking to run an inverter into the boot to connect the boot warmers so the insides dry on the trip home...

Me+3

One of Us
Jun 26, 2014
Thinking little stuff like microfibre towell for the inside of the windscreen..

And then thinking to run an inverter into the boot to connect the boot warmers so the insides dry on the trip home...
Sidas boot warmers run off 12volt ;)

Reactions: CarveMan

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
I have a large ski bag that fits all my clothes too. To make things sit better I use those big thick rubber bands to hold down my ski brakes, so the skis sit flat.
Also put my jacket in a suit bag so it doesn’t get damaged after an edge/wax.
Is that weird?

Reactions: Kletterer
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using