1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

The Man

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Blotch, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Blotch

Blotch Hard Yards

Have just returned from staying in Falls Creek for five days. Never seen so many people up there in summer but strangely not a lot of eating places seemed to be open. However the greatest tragedy was that the Man appeared to be closed up permanently. We went down hopefully on two occasions for a feed and a few drinks but to no avail. I've been going up there in summer for years and we love the Man. What's going on? Anyone know anything?

2. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Falls Creek usually has a range of places open to get a meal between Christmas and New Year.

- Cafe Milch at Frueauf.
    - An almost windowless bar in the bowels of the Country Club.
    - Winterhaven.
    - The Man.
    - A few other places that occasionally open in summer, but can't be relied on.

Despite my attempts to push Winterhaven, punters on my trips in recent years seem to prefer Milch for restaurant food or The Man for pub food. The Man has always been crowded on my recent hiking trips, so opening between Christmas and New Year must be profitable for them.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

I too was under the impression that The Man was open year round. I dare say that a few of the more upmarket eateries would be open (probably contributing to The Man being shut) - eg Huski, Astra, Summit Ridge, Quay West.

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'd heard that the Man wasn't opening over summer this year
    I think Alta at St Falls/ Quay West is supposed to be open most of the time.
    not sure about winterhaven, there was a change in who was running the restaurant last summer.
    Gateway is usually open in times when people are expected to be around - but only for lunch.

5. Blotch

Blotch Hard Yards

We did try a couple of other places with no joy. They were either only catering for house guests or had not ordered in enough food to cater for outside customers. As for the upmarket places, they well may have been open, but at their eye popping prices I think hunger would be quite attractive!

6. Auska

Auska Hard Yards

AFAIK
    Alta was only opening until today
    Country Club and Cafe Max are the only other food options.

7. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

I was also a bit taken aback that so many places were closed, with few options for dinner. FC Hotel has not been open for years at Xmas. Winterhaven closed. Ditto, Julians. That said, Gateway is still open, with Michael and Helen serving nice food for lunch. Alta was also open, but I did not check it out. Ditto, Karelia.

The Man is being renovated, and may also be for sale. It is not "closed for good".

Milch is currently the National Altitude Training Centre, or something like that, and not open to the general public.

8. Bogong

Well if The Man is being renovated, surely there must be an alternative pub open for the locals to go to? (By "locals", I mean permanent residents and people working up there in summer like builders, etc.)

And don't tell me that they just stay at home every night or drive all the way down to Mt Beauty!

9. currawong

FC locals I know rarely eat out in FC out of season.

10. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The Man has been for sale on and off for years!

The locals usually get together for barbecues in summer.

11. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

Cafe Max seemed to be the late-afternoon venue of choice for beers. There was also a NYE function there, which was apparently mainly frequented by locals. We had coffee there around 6pm and they were just setting up.

12. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

Oh, and one other reason perhaps why fewer places have been open:- much less construction work going on. The power station work has finished. Less building going on in the village, except for St Falls aka Quay West.

13. keepitreal

keepitreal First Runs

aka St WaterFalls!! [​IMG]

#13 keepitreal, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  14. localskigirl

localskigirl First Runs

Max open from 10am every day. Winterhaven closed. Not much for going out for food but that should be expected over summer. That's why we shopped off mountain and brought our food with us [​IMG]

#14 localskigirl, Jan 5, 2010
  15. Bogong

But L.S.G., Falls has a well deserved reputation for being the second most summer friendly ski resort in Australia (after Thredbo).

Having a good range of places open where people can buy dinner (a minimum of 3 between Boxing Day and New Year) is one of their key drawcards. If they don't have this, then their summer trade will probably shrink and the place will lose the neccesary critical mass to have a vibe at peak times.

16. Auska

Auska Hard Yards

I agree with Bogong.

There is an element of chicken and egg here.

There are a number of businesses on the mountain that are trying to improve summer visitation, but are being stymied by the short sighted view of others which do not open during summer.

If the businesses aren't open, then it becomes quite difficult to encourage visitors to stay overnight as most visitors aren't very keen on self catering if they are only staying a night or 2.

The argument from these businesses is that there aren't the customers to justify opening but if the businesses aren't open then the visitors don't come.

17. Bogong

Well I'm almost certainly running a 4 night hiking trip for 35 people out of Falls Creek next Boxing Day. So even if a few of them self cater, the group will still buy over 100 dinners while they are up there. That should pay the wages of a few cooks and waiters!

But it all depends on what lodge I end up hiring and IF I can be confident that a good range of places will be open where the punters can buy dinner.

P.S. If anybody has a 3 1/2 to 4 star lodge at Falls that I can hire from Boxing Day this year, send me a message. [​IMG]

#17 Bogong, Jan 6, 2010
  18. Apresski

Looks like Nelse again Bogong [​IMG]

#18 Apresski, Jan 6, 2010
  19. Bogong

In the past I have hired other lodges at Falls Creek for these trips Apreski, it's just that the punters liked Nelse Lodge an awful lot when I hired it.

But I've been flirting with somewhere a bit more upmarket, if I can get a luxo place for under $10 extra per person per night. I'm happy to consider anywhere, so long as they will give me a reasonable discount in return for a guarantee that I'll pay for every bed they have (up to about 50 beds). [​IMG]

... and (to avoid derailing the thread)... that the punters on a Falls Creek trip will have a reasonable choice of places to eat every night and don't have just two options like they did on my Cup Weekend hiking tour based at Dinner Plain 2 months ago. The anonymous feedback forms from D.P. indicate people thought the lodge we hired was great, the choice of walks we offered them was good, but the dining out options were lousy. [​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So to steer this thread back to relevancy, as someone who has taken many hundreds of people on summer hiking tours based out of a number of ski resorts in Vic, NSW and Tassie, I reckon a ski resort won't succeed as a summer destination unless there is a variety of things to do AND a good range of places to eat.

#19 Bogong, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  20. Apresski

Agreed. In recent years Falls has had a deal of success with athletes for training camps, rowers, triathletes etc. Athletes tend to have healthy appetites and I can't see why more restaurants can't make a sucess of the summer period.

21. h2oskier

h2oskier One of Us

Because my mates who go up for 'altitude training' pack their own carrot and celery sticks, Have no desire to get stuck into a piece of eye fillet at a restaurant.

22. Apresski

Bit different to the rowers that I know [​IMG]

#22 Apresski, Jan 8, 2010
  23. localskigirl

localskigirl First Runs

The guy from Nelse was saying that he had staff problems - as in couldn't get them so couldn't open for outside meals if it were just him. The Man closure has a little to do with a supposed love interest in Melbourne. I had planned for one night out for dinner (and the rest at home due to costs as much as anything) and was sadly disappointed (despite being prepared).
    There were HEAPS more people up there than at Buller though (we were up there the week before) - and they have very little open apart from bad coffee at Spurs and expensive long waits at Cattlemans!

24. currawong

FCRM really need to find financial incentives to encourage businesses to open. It is very dicey financially to open in off season, especially if you need to retain and pay decent staff. Unless there was a rebate on fees or some other financial incentive, it is hard to see why businesses would commit to being open in summer. I agree that this is vital for the resort. It just needs a big juicy carrot (or even an appropriate stick) to make it happen.

25. Auska

Auska Hard Yards

All leases for food concessions need to stipulate that the businesses must be open for at least 45 weeks of the year.

26. currawong

All food concessions would be a bit over the top. But they have to entice about half a dozen at different price points.

some accommodation places are feeding house guests, but being prepared for walk-ins is too hard.

27. Apresski

A fine opening for a clever bird Curra [​IMG]

#27 Apresski, Jan 11, 2010
  28. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

The impression I got this year is that even fewer places were open for meals. People who want to promote FC as a summer destination would have to be tearing out their hair. We are regulars and do not count on eating out, but I wonder what sort of impression it leaves on those who decide, "hey, let's try FC for something different"?

29. currawong

No, it would be a good way to go broke. It's hard enough in the sub-alpine towns with a decent population. February will be a loss month for most food businesses.

There has to be a financial incentive to get a significant number of people to open in summer.

#29 currawong, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  30. Apresski

I used to spend a couple of weeks up there every January and at that stage, The Motel, The Man, Attunga, Snowdrift and Winterhaven were all open. The Moey was on a restricted menu and was run by Adam over summer (last time I saw him he as managing AAC in winter and working in Canada in summer). This as a long time ago, but I was under the impression that more effort had been put into promoting Falls as a summer destination.Hey if we get many more of these exceedingly hot summers, it could be a good escape from the heat.

31. currawong

everyone wants to see it get busier in summer. no one wants to lose money staying open for very few guests to eat out, especially if they are paying staff rather than doing the work themselves

(BTW Adam manages Snowdfift these days)

32. hair-raiser

hair-raiser Hard Yards

He's now known to all as (M)adam, these days.

33. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

#33 BilbyBill, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  34. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Perhaps FCRM should try a carrot AND stick approach with respect to their rates. Make it revenue neutral but discount for opening beds/food more than so many days in summer and a penalty for below that no.

I have to agree that while I love Falls in summer (here now in fact) summer opening of eateries is going backwards (maybe the sealed road can reverse things?.
    Negativity to opening sounds much like the old Buller issue with their supermarket liscensee unwilling to open summer, so they waited for his lease to finish, redeveloped & opened for most of the summer. (Could be the trick here with pubs/cafes especially!)

Or, maybe in the winter brochures, businesses with least summer days open are listed last, most first etc... and see if that changes anything?

Despite efforts of resort management it's still pretty hard finding out what's open and where to go (web or on the ground). There should really be an electronic board near Gebis/ St Falls indicating what is open each night (food & beds).

One of the more disappointing aspects is the very few days that the chair is open for - another lost attraction! Of course FC Express should be the open lift in summer - being detachable it's better suited to loading bikes and newbie tourists and there's a tidy centre at Cloud 9 tailor-made for tourists. And the slopes are of a gradient more suited to beg-int mountain bikers.

On a tangent, should I mention a public pool would change things a tad and get more families to stay up here??

Better stop before I sound like a Thredbo commercial (which was a nice place to be over the Christmas/NY!) but they do things pretty well up there!

Overall, visitation only looks up for Falls - it's crazy (sad even) to see the village poorly supported by so many businesses.

35. Auska

Auska Hard Yards

Snowgum

[​IMG]

My sentiments entirely.

I find it extremely disappointing the lack of support that various businesses provide to the stated intention of making Falls a year round destination.

#35 Auska, Jan 26, 2010
  36. Blotch

Blotch Hard Yards

I wonder if the Man was accorded ICONIC status whether that might keep it open? Falls Creek could always do with another icon or two.

37. start

start First Runs

hi all. hs been great to read this forum for feedback. as a falls creek local and business owner and operator it is always important to hear peoples thoughts on the village.

to clarify the man has been closed for renovations over the summer and is due to reopen this week. winterhaven again closed for renovations over the whole summer.

it was unfortunate that this year two summer operaters choose to close for renovations.

cafe max is the aletrnative 'pub' open on mountain and was open 7 days a week from 10am - late. similar food to the man. possibly not such of a pub atmosphere though.

quay west restaurant alta offered food although the availibility could be a little unpredictable which again i agree is unfortunate for falls creek.

falls creek country club were open for meals as was trackers and karelia. the key to dining in falls creek is to ring around. often people are open that you dont think are. and even if they arent open 12 hours 7 days a week they will often take dinner bookings in advance due to the gurantee of bums in seats. people are accommodating and will open specially for groups.

its a hard call in the alpine villages and i do sympathise with business operators as it can definitely be a hit amnd miss market. no one has loads of cash to waste away and sometimes it is just not viable for business' to risk opening and then lose money with poor sales. it is the reality of life on the mountain in the summer months.

i can assure everyone that this is the main topic of conversation for FCRM along with the chamber of commerce and lift company up here. noone is ignoring these problems just finding the solutions and happy mediums to balance is really tough.

i thank everyone who comes to falls creek in the summer for their support and hope that they continue to return and enjoy the spectacular environment on offer up here.

if anyone would like any information on accommodation options for groups and possible caterers to come in cook i can recommend some so feel free to advise and ill chase it up for you. even if it is for next year the advance booking for a business is a bonus.

38. Cuppa

Cuppa A Local

Rumoured to have recently been sold.

#38 Cuppa, Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  39. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

While on the topic it would be good to get a public pool at Falls to capture some of the valley market - families need some reliable fun activities and seeing Thredbo you'd have to think a public pool would be a big winner. Maybe being a winter/summer training institute may help Falls qualify for some federal funding for such??

Have already mentioned regular chairlft running over summer. (;-0

40. currawong

there is a bit of a push to get a pool. the main justification would be for athletes training in FC. eg there was a large group of Korean tri-athletes at FC for several weeks over summer; they had to bus down to mt beauty to swim. the national xc team is officially based at FC and would like a pool. don't know if it will ever happen.

41. FCLODGE1

FCLODGE1 Hard Yards

The whole issue here is that there are many interested parties on the mountain and the key to getting some sort of consistency in service and facilities is for everyone to lay down their guns and get some collaboration going. Establish some working parties with representatives from the the Lift Co, RMB, Chamber of commerce, tourism, alpine shire etc.. Who is going to do what to who etc..
    Everyone is great at talking but when it comes to actually doing, it never happens.
    Operators need to concerntrate on their core business and not try to snaffle everything that walks by them, thus upsetting another operator. There is enough for all..

In the meantime you have the punters (such as why this thread was created) getting frustrated in finding services and facilities and probably wont bother trying to take a break up at Falls again because ITS JUST TOO HARD..

Meanwhile, you have the local industry whinging and complaining about people going to New Zealand and Japan and wondering why? Establishing a new vehicle called Snow Australia (I wonder how many people know about it), spending a bucket of cash on a crap TV commercial that openly bags NZ! (to be aired this season)

Its pretty simple really, start looking after the customer and they will come..

rant over.. and by the way, this is not unique to Falls, its pretty much the story of most resorts in Australia.

42. Bogong

All I want is a guarantee that there will be a choice of at least 3 places open for dinner between Boxing Day and New Year's Eve.

If there are, I will bring 40 people up for 4 or 5 nights. If it looks like there won't be, then I will run my trip elsewhere.

It's as simple as that!

Now 200 person days on one trip don't make that much of a difference, but my trip is just only one of many that may or may not happen. People won't patronise any tourist area, if they can't be assured of a few places to eat. The Falls Creek RMB has to work out something (maybe a rotating roster?) to ensure there are always a few places to eat at peak times in summer.

#42 Bogong, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013