The Masterplan is gone

Acav

Hard Yards
Aug 31, 2010
It would appear that Perisher has decided that the masterplan released in 2002 is no longer the definitive plan to the resorts lifting and snowmaking future. On this page http://www.perisher.com.au/winter/the_future/index.php there used to be a map which showed what was going to take place. That is now gone. Also removed is the SSMP itself, which used to be able for download. The plan was due for completion in 2017.

RIP perisher’s master plan 2002-2011

Last edited by a moderator:

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
acav said:
It would appear that Perisher has decided that the masterplan released in 2002 is no longer the definitive plan to the resorts lifting and snowmaking future. On this page http://www.perisher.com.au/winter/the_future/index.php there used to be a map which showed what was going to take place. That is now gone. Also removed is the SSMP itself, which used to be able for download. The plan was due for completion in 2017.

RIP perisher’s master plan 2002-2011

They have the RFID 'MyRide', better hope it's not done by the same people who do 'MyKi'.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Considering all that they are going to do by 2014/2015 is 80 new apartments and a few restaurants/retail shops are you really surprised?

Acav

Hard Yards
Aug 31, 2010
No, I just remember them making such a big deal about it. World class facilities... chairlifts... lifts in guthega...

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
It may be a wise move considering so many Auzzie punters make it clear they ski & board elsewhere. Only a limited market will stay on snow for long periods at commercial lodges (a week or longer ) , as you can ski O/S with better snow for better coin. Pricing themselves out of the market maybe? There are a lot of family members that dont want to ski all day, thats why a huge retail centre & hotels with more facilities may attract more people, as at the moment if your done skiing at Perisher & being so spaced out apart, if your not hardcore you end up sitting in your room or at a bar.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

jaski

One of Us
Mar 23, 2001
Earth
acav said:
No, I just remember them making such a big deal about it. World class facilities... chairlifts... lifts in guthega...

I'm pretty sure the Guthega quad is still on the cards sooner than most realise. Haven't seen any of the DA's just yet though.

darkrabbit

Hard Yards
Feb 26, 2007
Brisbane
Not worth spending the money if there won't be any snow to support a season by the time the plan is completed. Probably better invested into looking into other ventures to make the area viable for other forms of toursim such as mountain biking and bush walking.

Maybe I'm just a cynic.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Saying the snow will dissapear by 2050 is as silly as saying we were going to be stuck in drough forever.

Winters will come and go. We will have good ones, average ones and ordinary ones.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
IMO we won't see the whole plan ever come close to happening but there is every chance a few of the key lifts in that plan will. Mainly the Guthega and Mt P chairs. I think a centre valley quad along with snowmaking to its base might have to happen to go with a Mt P six pack otherwise the queues getting back from Mt P will be horrendous (i am assuming the mt p chair will lead to more people out there).

Probably a fair argument to be made for pretty valleyl to be replaced due to its age andwq general crappiness and terminal relocated as well so blue cow becomes more functional in wind.

shadow1

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2008
The plan might be not public available still they follow many of its plans because I suspect they have changed many aspects of it such as recent Extension of Happy Valley Tbar and new Pony ride carpet ruling out any new tbar there
Ongoing implementation of Perisher’s award winning Ski Slope Master Plan will ensure continued integration of Perisher, Smiggin Holes, Blue Cow and Guthega through the modernisation of lifting, as well as the continued extension of our snowmaking system, providing skiers and boarders with plenty of trails to access one corner of the resort to the other, under all conditions. In addition conveniently located on-mountain restaurant facilities will enhance guest amenity and experience.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
acav said:
lifts in guthega...
We should live so long!
I remain convinced that the plan was done as a sales pitch when the Packers were trying to flog PB.
That having failed, they've lost interest - or at least the momentum.

SnowAndrew

One of Us
Jun 18, 2008
Sydney
Slightly different plan I think - that one is the NPWS plan regarding development, the other was by PB with proposed lifting/snowmaking/etc.

SnowAndrew

One of Us
Jun 18, 2008
Sydney
I tried to upload onto the wikiski, but it doesn't currently accept pdf - see post in the wikiski support thread. Not sure if there is another suitable spot?

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
PiniPowPow said:
as for its implementation I am hearing constant rumors that the Guthega quad is going to happen in the next two years.

I think it's beyond a rumour now. It's going to happen

D_Dog

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2005
Sydney
parking is going to be a serious concern if this development ever goes ahead. read the central precinct plan and see how they completely ignore the impacts of halving the number of parking spaces. i dont get what they think is going to happen when 2000 cars turn up for 700 spaces?

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
Maybe they see the ideal situation is with more people staying on snow, tubing or busing it in & less day trippers with cars. Afterall if the owners of the resort own accomodation thats what you'd want instead of day trippers. People staying for a week are going to stay regardless of weather , as day trippers are only visiting with good weather conditions.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

D_Dog

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2005
Sydney
i agree olddog, but the cars will turn up anyway whether the owners want them to or not and when they do where are they going to park? the master plan does not address this issue at all it seems that they are relying on "if they come and there are no parks they will have to catch the ski tube".

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Skitube way way under utilised.

A bit of snob factor in some of the decisions made to not use it, I am sure.

Ignorance on the part of many.

Cost of fuel from Jindy to Perisher, plus park entry, plus chain hire... mmm. Skitube plus lift ticket looks good.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
http://www.perisher.com.au/tickets-passes-accommodation/lift-tickets/prices.html

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkFeesConditions.aspx?id=N0018

perisher_range_surcharges.png

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
VSG said:
Skitube way way under utilised.
A bit of snob factor in some of the decisions made to not use it, I am sure.
Ignorance on the part of many.
Cost of fuel from Jindy to Perisher, plus park entry, plus chain hire... mmm. Skitube plus lift ticket looks good.
I never used to use the tube, but this year added it to my Freedom Pass because it wasn't much more expensive
I'm reasonably happy with it though a train from Jindy would be good
laugh.gif

I'd probably still prefer to drive
maybe they need to reverse the advantage so that driving is a much more expensive proposition

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
VSG said:
Skitube way way under utilised...
But only for 1 person.
If you have 2, 3, 4 or 5 people in a car the price per person drops significaly.
Also, if you are a regular user of other parks, than the cost of the annual pass can be quite cheap.
Least year I purchased an annual pass, visited KNP 15 times and other parks another 10 times so the average cost per visit $7.60.
Each time there was at least 2 people in the car, sometimes it was 3 and sometimes 4 - so the cost per person per visit was less than $3.80.

Its a 60km round trip driving to and from perisher. if you average 10l/100k then this is 6 litres at $1.50 a litre = $9 for petrol

9 + 7.6 = 16.6. lets round it up to $20 for sundry other costs then divide by 2 people and its $10 per person per day.

When I had the 2wd, i owned my own set of chains and had them for over 10 years - cost per day was less than $5 - so that would move it up to $12.50.

Less when you have more in the vehicle.

Where the tube loses out most is -
The timing of the trains from/to Bullocks flat - you can only go when the train is going, not when you want to.
You still have to unpack/pack the car at Bullocks flat
You still have to drive a 40km round trip from Jindabyne to bullocks flat which is 2/3 the distance of Jindabyne to Perisher
Trying to organise several children first in the car then out of the car then into the tube, then out of the tube - then the reverse for going home.......

Where the tube really wins is in avoiding the queues on snow days when 2wd need to fit chains.
I've always driven from Jindabyne had 4 or more in the car on at least 45 occasions and only fitted chains 8 times in 16 years. now I have a 4wd and will only need to fit chains on the very rare heavy snow days

It all depends on Economies of Scale.
Sometimes the tube is cheaper and usually isn't - especially for large groups. Thats why its under utilised.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass