1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

The most amazing day I ever had ...

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Hot Diggity, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Hot Diggity

Hot Diggity Hard Yards

I have had a few, been lucky too. I wanted to ask "the most surreal experience" because of 1 time. I was stuck down Little Buller Spur. I think the mountain was on wind hold but they kept the races going. Mid afternoon and we are told the lifts are not running. Gather your shit and we will tow you out. I am not sure but maybe 4 or 5 ropes with maybe 10 or more knots hanging off the back of a pisten bully. Got towed up wombat behind a groomer with around 50-100 others. 2004/5? Was dropping 50 cent flakes on the south side too. Tell me yours!

Annabuzzy, person s and Tanuki like this.
  2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

skiing with a guide near st anton on a gorgeous spring day. perfect corn, noone else in sight most of the time

Chaeron, Hot Diggity and Tanuki like this.
  3. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

at Zermatt, the run from Gornergrat to Furi
    slightly less than 7km, mostly cruisy
    Matterhorn looking down the whole time
    there are many youtubes of the run, but I don’t do action cam - this from my MapMyRide:

piolet, skiflat, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hot Diggity

Hot Diggity Hard Yards

Zermatt was the first place I snowed outside of Australia. I honestly thought I fckd up there. It amazed me. It could not get better than that?

MisterMxyzptlk and person s like this.
  5. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Lovely run that.

For me it was in the middle of a snowstorm in Chamonix when almost everything was on wind/viz hold. Had no idea where we were, one lift down to another, total white out, people struggling, most dropping down off a track that we were having vertigo on due to the white out. I followed a mate. We got to the top of what turned out to be just a boring intermediate groomer when we went back the next day, however on this day the visibility suddenly cleared in this protected run, no one was around as they’d all gone the other way, and we had the most glorious group run down knee deep blower pow to the same lift everyone else went to. We lapped that a few times.

Hot Diggity and person s like this.
  6. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

6 years old with cinbrah Getting the pole I dropped from the kosci express at around thirty seconds into the ride .ie in the bush with minimal snow

It was raining too

Why the hell didn’t I just buy them a new pole

piolet likes this.
  7. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

So many, cant pick one.

Cruising down under Kosi, about 4cm of hoar glittering in the sun unbelievably, we are all straight lining and laughing

Cross country skiing in the full moon, always, mates and I had a camp out in full moon pact for a while. But one time in knee deep...

All those quiet moments, large flakes coming down.

FourSquare04 and Snowy Joey like this.
  8. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    this was a pretty good one (1/3/16)

this wasn't a bad one either

and this one was pretty good too...

MickM, B-Dub, FourSquare04 and 7 others like this.
  9. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Lake Louise, had 30-40cm of super dry the previous night and was bluebird day. Back bowls were closed for Avi.
    Caught the summit platter and just as we got to the top the patrol dropped the rope and we got first run untracked down whitehorn face. Easily the single best inbounds run I’ve had.

10. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Actually, probably one of the all time best was Tuesday last week with @climberman on day 3 Craigieburn Haute Route, from Cheeseman to Mt Olympus.
    It was a perfect combination of amazing weather, snow, terrain and companions.
    Big day, ski patrol opened the lifts early just for us to go up the the BC Cheeseman gate then 9 hours later we hit the start button on the Mt Olympus lift which had closed to get us to beer st the top Hut.

Attached Files:

11. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Had a few over the years. Top 2 would be Squaw Valley on Christmas day with fresh snow down to the lake, it was empty and blue bird. Hmmm 20 something years ago.

Other one was Jan just gone Sella Ronda on a blue bird day with the wife and kids. Days just don't get any better than that.

12. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

A top tenner, probably a top fiver!!

Untele-whippet likes this.
  13. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Whitewater BC, 1999 closed a day during mega 2 day dump in the old 2 lift days.
    1m of super dry fresh + steep North American tree skiing = perfection.

There were 4 of us on a roadtrip, 2 intermediate Canadians and an Australian mate who now lives in Quebec. Second chair. My mate and I (both advanced) were back on the chair before the other guys got to the bottom.
    They're yelling out 'wait at the top for us'

Yeah, Naah .....
    Not a chance.

Best day for sure, and I've had some rippers over the years.

Annabuzzy and Chaeron like this.
  14. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

15. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Night skiing early naughties. Niseko. Snowing hard with heavy fog. Rinkan Forest - at least I thought I was in Rinkan Forest. Surreal, seemingly lost as dull orange night lights just filtered through. Deep untracked powder skiing. I was like a moth to a light run after run just following the dull orange glow through the fog out to the lift.

Chaeron and Gimp like this.
  16. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Too many to choose from but most memorable are-. Chest/ neck deep day Saalbach 2009 finishing the day on the Amsel backcountry route. Laps on an ungroomed piste covered in pow, with no one else riding it but my buddy @DidSurfNowSki Hinterglemm and a waist deep day in Zurs - Madloch sidecountry - Moroikopf.

kaegee, DidSurfNowSki and person s like this.
  17. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

That view of Marmolada from Porta Vescovo is quite amazing eh ?

Ian D likes this.
  18. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

There’s been a few.

• 1990 Aspen Highlands, met a local on the chair heading to the top. He said follow me and as we were heading to his secret spot we saw about 20 people looking down one of the double blacks on temerity side. Not a track on it, nipple deep pow with VW size bumps underneath. So we both launched, the crowd started cheering and we just hammered all the way to the bottom, stopped and looked at each other just laughing as the crowd up top kept cheering. Nobody else skied down, to this day we can’t understand why nobody else dropped in.
    • 2008 Asahidake bottomless. Truely bottomless. My group of 7 mates the only ones in the gondola. 3 cars in the car park. A crew of euros turned up and skied the skiers right side of the gondola for the day us the left. They were making a movie and won the 2008 Powder awards, “Best Pow” for that movie. It was an epic day.
    • Aug 15, 2000 Thredbo. Best Australian pow ever.
    • 2000 Fernie, staying in Charlie Lock’s private residence, everything laid on including waste deep pow.

19. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Dear penthouse,

I always thought your letters were fake and then this one day.......

Marty_McSly, kaegee, PMG and 7 others like this.
  20. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Hmm, just a couple that really stand out from a very fortunate skiing life.

Thredbo, late August 1992. Midweek day off (rare) coincided with a sudden intense storm. About 20 cm overnight and it kept on snowing, hard. Snowpack it its peak for the season so the fresh was cream on the pav. Seemed like nobody on the mountain except staff. Lapped the Golf Course about eleventy billion times. It stopped snowing at lunch time and the wind blew harder. We moved over to Merritts and skied trees the rest of the day. Snow quality and silence in there were otherworldly.

Apex 1995? Staff event, one-off night chair ride to the top for cheese fondue and drinks in the summit log cabin, then a single run down lit by the full moon. After much discussion, we chose a gladed tree line that still held pow from the day before and allowed just enough moonlight in for safe-ish skiing. I followed a friend for most of the run, was fascinated by the way the moon backlit the snow sprayed up from his skis in each turn.

Kicking Horse, 2000. Drove hard to get across Rogers Pass before an approaching front closed it down, then bedded down as the storm dumped. Woke up to a 30+ cm day and roads closed both sides of Golden. Managed an epic 8 gondy rides plus a few Stairway quad laps and some hikes to bowl lines for about 40,00 vert ft. Most of all I remember the feeling of no hurry despite powder day on a powder mountain and not being a local. With the Calgary crowd shut out and massive acreage for us lucky few to spread out, KH didn't even get close to tracking out.

21. Swede

Swede One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Every day I get to spend in the mountains :)

22. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

My first day ever skiing OS at Alta. Nothing epic, but we had a few runs on groomers on the Albion side to find our legs. I remember going off the piste into about 30 cm of untracked and not slowing down. I thought this powder stuff might prove to be interesting.

Hot Diggity likes this.
  23. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Hungover new years days, clients call up saying not skiing today with half the mountain on wind hold, spend the day in a hottub with snow coming down, wind blowing its ring off, getting paid and nursing a couple quiet beers.

sly_karma and FourSquare04 like this.
  24. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

News Years Day at Heavenly. We were pretty unimpressed with the drunken yobbos celebrating in Nevada the night before so went to bed early and sober. That morning we had the Nevada side pretty much to ourselves until about lunchtime. I had some GS VR27s at the time and I discovered what they really could do on a black groomer. They were fast.

25. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

I know how rare that is to get that much fresh at the Lake, does not happen very often even in a good season to get that much snow in one dump, would have been rather epic!

Chowder11 likes this.
  26. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

That was probably me but you could hear me from north lake

FourSquare04 likes this.
  27. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

Possibly yesterday, at Selwyn of all places. Second time my 5yo daughter has been on skis. The drive in was lovely, got up at 5am with no issues no complaining the whole way (which is unusual for her on long drives), spotting rabbits and (so she claims) brumbies around Kiandra.

Snow was great, lots the night before. Had a little ski with her between my legs until 11am then got her into a level 2 lesson as she could sort of snow plough (but it was a gamble as I wasn;t sure whether she'd be able to keep up with the other kids who were all a bit older). Went off and had a ski by myself which was fairly uneventful and not particularly stimulating (but nice as I got to get used to my AT gear without feeling like I was wasting my hard earned turns).

However, when she finished up her lesson, we actually got to ski side by side with her just flying around in a wedge like a little nutter, whooping it up and squealing with delight the whole time. Ended up at the bottom of racecourse T and she managed to ride the T to the top without even a wobble. I've never seen her so happy. She was just being an angel as well, complementing all the other girls in the lift lines with 'oooh I like your pink skis' and 'that's a cool coloured helmet' etc. She was just on fire yesterday!

So yeah, nowhere near the most amazing day of skiing Ive ever done (in fact, one of the more boring) but seeing her be able to get around the whole hill by herself, and the amount of fun she had doing it, amazing, quite likely THE most amazing day I've had on snow.

28. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Would easily be Kicking Horse late Nov / early Dec 2003 for me - they had record amounts of early season snow and the day I arrived they just dropped the rope and opened up the back bowls, deepest and driest pow I've ever hit. Incredible mountain KH

Gimp, Untele-whippet and parkmonkey like this.
  29. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Too hard to pick one...
    • Chest-deep in Niseko
    • 1st Heli day in Italy
    • Heli day in NZ
    • Timing opening of a late opening lift (due to heavy snow) at Laax and getting amongst 1st tracks for 900m of fresh vert
    • Hitting the trees at St Anton in fresh on a 650cm base
    • Asahidake

FourSquare04 and Untele-whippet like this.
  30. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Slight tangent,
    At work, getting paid 8hr to do a 4hr medical in Peru with 2 of the most glamorous/beautiful women i have ever seen, and I was the patient...................Oh yeah skiing forum, i got a bit side tracked.
    • Hakuba chest deep from Iimori quad chair opening for the first day of that season
    • Seeing my girls ski in boot deep for the first time, with groomed underneath
    • Skiing with a Pro for 2 weeks in Switzerland acting as guide/drinking buddy/house mate

31. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I don’t think I could say days...more moments.
    • Powder in Courmeyer.
    • Finishing my trip to Niseko with multiple laps of Hanozono in fresh quickly accumulating powder with maybe 10 other people seemingly on the mountain.
    • One day at Guthega with only our friends in the mountain and...powder.
    • August Bank holiday dump 2017 skiing Thredbo in the lightest powder I’ve ever experienced in Australia, top to bottom.
    • Imori at Hakuba 2017 on opening day (for Imori) chest deep as Beerman says and not particularly crowded

#31 Annabuzzy, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Marty_McSly and bengarden like this.
  32. bengarden

bengarden Addicted

Kiroro, in the trees off the Gondola a couple of years back on a 5 day Powder course with an instructor that knew all the sneaky untouched areas under the ropes. All day it was run after run of waist to chest deep while it continued dumping and kept the lifts deserted. Honorable mention ( I know, its cliched and a few have also already mentioned ) of epic night skiing at Niseko when the lifts had been shut all day cause of wind and it dumped all day. Waited patiently at the quad with the other desperadoes and eventually the lifts started for night skiing about an hour late. The hype was real as we all realised we were going to get up and amongst it after being depressed all day at the lack of lift action. Managed to get second chair to the top and absolutely blast down barely needing to turn cause of how deep the untracked powder was. Only stayed out for about 3-4 runs but what runs they were......and the whoops of joy from all over the hill kinda added to the pump.

Marty_McSly and Annabuzzy like this.
  33. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Courchevel 2000
    Waist deep in the lightest coldest powder ever
    I felt like I was on a gentle trampoline up and down lap after lap
    Seemingly effortless but maybe it was the endorphins

34. Whiteman

Whiteman A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Cham 2010

Telemark Phat likes this.
  35. Whiteman

Whiteman A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Buller 2010. With my oldest daughter on 27 August. Was an amazing storm, and then it took about 3 hours to dig the car out. Cold, dry awesome snow.

MickM and cookieman like this.
  36. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Ha I was at Imori the day you mentioned. I should add that to my list. What a day!!

37. Hot Diggity

Hot Diggity Hard Yards

I love this. I have never matured as a snow lover. I lurk this site. I watch the weather. I reminisce. I fortunately ski/board in Europe because of my partner and Jan/Feb holidays. At any station I visit you will find me on the terrace waiting/watching flakes fall.

38. cookieman

cookieman One of Us

Had some rippers OS but still love and rank Hotham as my favourite after a 60+ cm snowfall and getting early tracks as the sun is clearing , dropping off Golden Point