1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion The new Niseko - I hope not

Discussion in 'Japan' started by M_G, Jan 16, 2014.

1. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

I'm definitely not disagreeing with you here however I'm gunna pull you up.

let 'em have their hangovers and sleepins... moar pow for us

Angus_McCrory and The Plowking like this.
  2. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yes indeed. Kind of like bragging about epic secret surf spots and mountains less trodden. My bad.

piolet likes this.
  3. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Most young kids that decide to do a season or two are just that ,many are still in their teens and they do what young kids do,especially when its their first time away from home and they find themselves surrounded by a large proportion of people their same age, lots of bars and nightclubs which are all within walking distance from their work and accommodation.
    During our last few holiday trips overseas to Japan it was the always the young ish??? aussie tourists coming back to our hotel after the pubs had closed that woke us and insisted on talking loudly and dribbling shit, even in the hotel corridors.

#103 WaitAwhile, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    piolet likes this.
  4. Junior

Junior Hard Yards

My first ski season years ago in Vail was the most fun time of my life. I drank a disgusting amount of booze and was out late all the time. But it was damn fun, and wouldn't change it.

piolet and Donza like this.
  5. Donza

Donza Pool Room

You can drink. ..and not be a tool

The Plowking likes this.
  6. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

As long as everyone is enjoying their holiday, why does it matter

7. TOFF

Hmmmm, interesting theory.

8. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

One of the really fun things on my early trips in the 80's & 90's were some big nights drinking with Japanese (staff or visitors), back when I was young enough to back up and still get out to ski in the morning sometimes with the same people. These days with large groups of foreigners, there is less likelihood of mixing with the Japanese. For me now a couple of quiet beers and / or Chuhais and I'm done.

9. Heinz

for some people though enjoying themselves means ruining it for others.

10. TOFF

Not sure too many would go out saying 'I'm going to spoil everyone else's fun'. More like they would just be totally oblivious

11. Heinz

In many cases no doubt true, but doesn't make it any better for those on the receiving end though.

piolet likes this.
  12. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

and true

13. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

I just towed another guy who was stuck in deep snow. 20 mins later he taps on my car window, he went and bought me 6 cans of black hot coffee and in the bag was a 3000yen gift card.
    Im spreading the love for Aussies in nagano
    Im 1 can in, hope I can sleep tonight lol

Gumbo likes this.
  14. Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb Hard Yards

dont you know mountain air cures hangover :p

15. mauricem

mauricem Addicted

Pics or it never happened! I think your van purchase and subsequent exploits needs its own thread! Curious about the logistics of buying a car in Japan, thought you needed local address etc??

16. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I hope it was Boss coffee in the black can. That shows real respect.

Vermillion likes this.
  17. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We were lined up for a car ferry trip on Kyushu early one morning a couple of years ago and couldnt quite work out the timetable on the board at the wharf. The +1 decided she would do her best sumimasen and ask the couple in the car next to us. Not only did he tell us when the next ferry was due he also drove off to the nearest convenience store and came back with coffee and doughnuts for us! There was no way he was going to take any money for it either. Those sort of things stay with you long after you've come home.

#117 PMG, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    BobGnarly and Salacious Crumb like this.
  18. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

Post first, then delete MG.
    What a can of worms.
    Niseko is getting along just fine. We own a very small piece of it and hardly ever call it Australia/NZ home, but it pays for the petrol.
    See ya in March man.
    Rock and roll
    Fire festival.
    Fukushima Daiichi
    ETC
    The show must go on, hopefully with more photons captured and suitably enslaved in the service of mankind.
    The gods rest their souls.

#118 Toto Warmlet, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  19. maxdacat

maxdacat Hard Yards

Not exactly "bad" behaviour but i've noticed a few ozzies wearing shorts, t-shirt and thongs on the plane to Japan. Yes they were going skiing! Not sure what they expected the weather to be like when they disembarked in Sapporo in January?

20. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

If it was 40+ when they got on, that is understandable.
    It is quite possible they had warm gear in backpacks or ready to go easy access in checked luggage.

21. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yup, I fly wearing sandals, light pants and a short sleeve top. Hiking boots, wind stopper, scarf and jeans in the outside pocket of checked bag......nothing wrong with that. Kids dressed in shorts t shirts and thongs...nothing worse than kids overheating during travel. Don't judge us by the way we travel.

22. Crystal

or does this make me one of those horrible Aussie travelers now ;)

23. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This
    I do this everytime. I find it too hot on the plane. Collect my bag and get changed at airport, do the same coming home
    Find it easier to get warm if needed, rather than trying to cool down
    Hatto

24. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

Well nozawa has done its absolute best to stop it becoming the new niseko. You need snow to be the new niseko lol.
    If I was a local /regular I would be stoked cause I reckon there will be a lot of crew not overly keen to come back and next year will probably dump hard

gibbsy likes this.
  25. hatto

And your thoughts??

26. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

lol not sure if serious or not there Hatto ;-)
    Nozawa inbounds. Mostly boring, flat and lifts dont link well. Huge amounts of time are spent riding lifts compared to other resorts.
    Some genuine steeps but th, ey get tracked very fast on a powder day and become mogul hills.

Nozawa out of bounds. some of the best sidecountry I have ever ridden. Genuine steeps awesome tree lines. Just really good terrain for upper intermediate skiers and boarders.
    With this comes genuine avalanche risk and there are lots of holes that fall into creeks. Riding alone and/or without avalanche gear/knowledge is seriously dangerous

gibbsy and Born2ski like this.
  27. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

*continued.
    IMO the only reason people arent getting caught in avalanches in the back bowls is because they get tracked so hard that the snow surface is always cut back before the next snowfall resulting in less slabs forming. Its pretty much just soft slabs from storm snow and wind slabs to be wary of.

The town itself is a tourist trap IMO. Its best to get out to Iiyama if you can. Living in Nozawa would give me cabin fever.

All in all for a guy like me who loves to ride steeppowder lines and doesnt care about being out of bounds Nozawa is a real gem, but it needs lots of snow and this year it got bugger all.

28. hatto

Yeah mate, just interested in what you thought, seen you have had a fair time exploring. I am very keen to spend some time exploring around Noz and learning the place, am planing a 6wk trip next year so that I can enjoy and not have to rush.

29. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

Hahaha. When you get older, you understand the importance of being comfortable. Esp when flying. When I started travelling on planes, it was a condition of the ticket to wear closed-in well presented shoes. Now, with the invasive reach of airport security, no one minds at all that I wear thongs. Except other pax apparently.

Airport security is the reason I look like a bogan- god damn it!

Crystal likes this.
  30. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

I wear blundstone boots when travelling, sturdy, waterproof, easy off n on for the plane or security and perform great when walking around snowy resorts and\or site seeing.

31. Heinz

should make them disembark 'old-school' style down the stairs and across the tarmac rather than the soft aero bridge.

maxdacat likes this.
  32. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

There were a couple on our flight to NRT in December who travelled in thongs. I didn't think anything of it until I followed them off the NEX at Tokyo Station, and watched them dash for the Nagano Shink, clutching their Liquid Snow Tours documentation and still in thongs! I wonder when they were planning to change their shoes?!

33. Crystal

Some people don't get cold feet, I wore sandals for 3 days around Western Canada (~5C), doesn't bother me at all.

34. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

feels like floating

35. ojisan

ojisan station master Ski Pass: Gold

socks as well?

M_G likes this.
  36. TropicalPow

TropicalPow One of Us

Bogan

37. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, but you have buns of steel!!!!!

38. Crystal

heheheheeeeeeee oh you are all such comedians

39. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

My daughter doesn't feel the cold much and would be happy enough in pluggers and t shirt during transfers. As long as it is not culturally insensitive then who cares.

I was not allowed entry into Denpasar airport back in the '80's because I was in shorts and pluggers. Fair enough as it was not considered appropriate apparently.

"When in Rome...."

40. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

So, a bit of perspective from my recent trip to Niseko.

Plenty of people on the plane in thongs and shorts. Plenty of people getting changed before landing, or just after. This isn’t Mad Men and the 1960s. Unless you’re flying first class, air travel is glorified bus travel these days. I was in sneakers and jeans, thongs whilst in flight, and changed to the boots once I hit Sapporo. Most controversially dressed person I saw in transit was a Japanese guy wearing a “Commes des ****down” t-shirt (which seems to be quite popular with a certain group in Japan).

I was staying in Niseko Village, so a bit out of the action, but went into Hirafu almost every night, including Australia Day. There were a lot of Aussies about as a general rule, but I only saw drunk Aussies making a fool of themselves on Australia Day, shouting across the streets, falling over, and nearly throwing up in front of the shuttle bus queue as they passed by (his slightly more sober mate dragged him to a more opportune spot for a “knock-on”). Now, this certainly isn’t great behaviour, but my first night in Tokyo I saw all of these actions committed by salarymen as I walked 10 minutes from the station to the hotel. In Shinjuku and Shibuya I witnessed drunken behaviour that would never fly in a pub in Australia – never violent, but throwing up at the bar, sleeping at the bar. Of course there’s no RSA in Japan, but if an Aussie did this we’d be all over them for their bogan behaviour.

When it came to rudeness in queues, it was always Japanese who were pushing to the front of the line, or generally ignoring the fact that there was a line. I’m not talking the trains in Tokyo or a lift line either, where some or total chaos is expected – queuing for a restaurant or a shuttle bus with an obvious queue, a Japanese couple or group (usually older) would ignore the queue and any signs relating to it, and push in at the front. In Niseko, I only saw this when there were only other non-Japanese in the queue.

Rudeness to staff – where we were staying, there was a very large group of Brits. They ranged in on-mountain skill from the very strong to the complete beginner. This group had individuals who behaved the worst out of any tourists I saw – abusing hire staff and hotel staff for perceived failures that generally came down to things being too cold outside and not being able to put on/take off their ski boots. They didn’t want help, they just wanted to loudly vent. The rest of the group all seemed like great people, it was just the couple of malcontents making life difficult for everyone they came into contact with. For us, the service levels were great for what we were paying.

My better half was also on the receiving end of a 5-minute tirade from an older Japanese gentleman whilst she was standing up on the train somewhere on the Yamanote Line. The vibe was definitely anti-American and had to do with the war and the atomic bombs (I wasn’t there so I only have her impressions, and neither of us speak much Japanese). She tried the “burst into tears so someone will help” method, but no-one stopped this guy. After he’d got off the train, a younger Japanese girl came and apologised to her on behalf of Japan, and was then appalled to find out he’d been abusing an Australian rather than an American. They are now Facebook friends (for what that is worth!)

Long story short – some behaviour we see as terribly bogan isn’t that unusual when you look at what also occurs in Japan. Doesn’t make it acceptable (and both theft and violence are never acceptable) but we do see it standing out like a sore thumb because we recognise the accent. In reality, pretty much any country on tour has representatives they’d be embarrassed by. Our propensity to travel and work in overseas resorts sees the JAFA gather a reputation, but it doesn’t seem to stop people hiring us…

BoofHead and LMB like this.
  41. TOFF

Great post azz.

LMB likes this.
  42. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Holy shit azz.

3 sets of footwear for one flight??!

Donza and azzski like this.
  43. Junior

Junior Hard Yards

Good work Azz, we are a bit harsh on our own at times. Here in Myoko, I've found 95% of the aussie tourists are great, friendly, well behaved etc. far better than the average aussie in Australia. I've only seen a small amount of poor behaviour, and it's been europeans and japanese for the most part.

44. Junior

Junior Hard Yards

Although...I've only been to Niseko once, back in 06/07 and witnessed some very very unpleasant bogan action. I hear it's improved since then.

45. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I`ve only been king hit in Niseko once!

46. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Hehe the Sorels were in the checked baggage, there was some digging around for them once I saw how much snow was on the ground as we landed at Chitose!

piolet likes this.
  47. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

MG, after causing this you definitely will be buying.

48. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

You're a KIWI ?????

49. Junior

Junior Hard Yards

Oh...ah, no not a kiwi. From Melbourne.

50. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

That's not what I heard ...but I won't go into that story .