1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed The perfect backcountry set-up

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by jamie.croft, Apr 13, 2019.

1. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Its a win win!

Annabuzzy and CarveMan like this.
  2. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

What pow ski should I get for backcountry skiing on the mainrange?

dawooduck, Chaeron and CarveMan like this.
  3. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not all of it will be going onto the market at the end of the year, but I suspect that there's a decent split between "always wanted to give this a go" type of people and "well if this is the only way I am skiing this year, so be it".

Some of the former will realise it wasn't all that they had hoped in their dreams, while some of the latter will realise that earning their turns can be a lot of fund. Overall, though, there will still be a healthy number who pack it in at the end of the year, and either mothball or sell their gear.

4. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I recommend the K2 Pontoon.

5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Head. Nail. Hit.

Going BC requires embracing Type II fun. If you are not willing to suffer you are not going to reap the rewards. Quite a few, with all the gear and no idea will duck the ropes for a lap of The Paralyser, but the real BC will remain the playground for masochists.

And my first foray into the BC 15 years ago was a complete disaster. I totally underestimated the level of fitness required. Went away with my tail between my legs and worked on being prepared.

Chaeron, Jacko4650, dawooduck and 3 others like this.
  6. skifree

So my lack of suffering means I do it wrong?

Chaeron and telecrag like this.
  7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Either that or your have attained a level of masochistic bliss and are oblivious to the pain...... o_O

8. skifree

Not really, do what you can, go home when you need to. A wander is good for the heart & lungs. I'll blow going up any hill but that's alright, get into a rhythm up grind away upwards.

What could be better than being out there?

9. telecrag

Some people when they are breathing heavy and working hard are like, wow, really sucking the O's, this feels good.

Others are, when will it end?

Its a mindset. That first hill always hurts. Then its not so bad.

Im amazed I like it so much, dad nearly killed me a couple of times when I was young, shit clothes, shit tent, shit skis

I loved it.

DJM, ecowain, Chaeron and 9 others like this.
  10. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Generally agree matey:

I won’t army- disposal gear from Aussie D et al.

Especially badly fitting woollen jumpers that progressively shrink wrap growing bodies (muscles?),
    Early polypropylene tops, vinyl outer gloves and adidas 3 stripe nylon track pants. But they were great in their day! Oh and $5 sunnies and goggles!! :eek::D:thumbs:

Chaeron likes this.
  11. telecrag

Spaulding skis, waxed cotton tent and sleeping bag, greasy wool gloves and socks, army disposal pants turned into knickerbockers by mum, canvas gaiters made by mum, we were rocking the style.

Chaeron, Boodwah, Fozzie Bear and 2 others like this.
  12. art

art One of Us

The difference is in any other year those that decided to give it a go made the choice even though they could have walked up to the ticket window and rode the lifts. They did it because they had a strong desire to or friends/family helping them into it.

The reasons many are giving it a go this year are different and sure a few will take it up long term ( maybe even become hardcore) but there will be plenty heading back to the lifts ASAP.

13. snowgum

Sure we’re! And for me It was high fashion on Stirling in the mid/late 80s! LOL

telecrag likes this.
  14. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

I am keen to give the new gear a run but needs more snow.

15. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You are spot on IMO and it is for this reason that I will be curtailing my Backcountry expectations this season. Fitness is critical and after a couple of health and work setbacks, the program to be ready has failed. I will be one of those ducking under the ropes for a few sessions on Paralyser as it will be within my (re-defined) limits.

telecrag and Fozzie Bear like this.
  16. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I'm giving the backcountry away. Too busy, less people in resort.

Plus it is hard..................to keep your champagne at the right temperature. Not to mention your chocolate, it's like a rock in the morning when you want it for a good brekky.

Oh! and the uphill thing, what's with that. I'm going to get an electric skidoo so nobody will hear me. I'm over slogging uphill for hours for a 30 second two turn run.

My gears so light it floats, now I need to put lead weights on my skis so they don't float away when I take them off.

Also, I do find it hard to sleep at night with the generator kicking in every five minutes. Gotta keep the lecky blanket toasty. It all just getting too hard. Hold on gotta go and rotate the satellite dish, it's messing with my Foxtel.

17. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Me

18. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

19. bugeater

bugeater Hard Yards

Exactly why I like the idea, but aren't willing to pull the trigger. Last year I was as fit as ever. This year after 3 months of iso and working from home... where did this gut come from? F@!#$k!

20. snowgum

I struggle to lose weight dieting at almost 54.

But I’ve kept a light but regular exercise up walk, cycles, pilates on line (wife’s bdg) for 30 mins most days.

We’ve generally stuck to the no alcohol Mon-Thurs, the odd minor slip-up, no binges. Drinks 3-4 p.n Friday and Saturday, 1-2 glasses tops vino with Sunday Roast tea. Etc...

So I haven’t lost anything but have stayed the same with no BC ski trips, Day rides or walks, gyms or swims.

I’m no fitness junky, but cut 2/3 booze with some light activity, you may just hold on until the snow falls. The Gunn it! Go for broke! :cool:

skifree, Spence, Fozzie Bear and 2 others like this.
  21. bugeater

bugeater Hard Yards

Well that's part of the problem the problem. Booze consumption has gone up considerably. Maybe I should move to spirits...

22. snowgum

I love my scotch too - I bought two DF back from Japan found I was having 2 big drams 4-5 nights a week. Half of The 3-4 kg I lost in Hakuba went on in the first month back so I decided to ease off. Better for liver.

I had a few drinks tonight (no skiing to get up early for) but I’ll try to ease off tomorrow and more so Sunday. Try to! :p