1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion The risk of owning a van in a holiday park near the snow

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by POW_hungry, Jul 16, 2018.

1. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I don't think so. So less than $10k for a membership in a club with lodges at 3 resorts. And $50 per night ave over the whole season.

Ted Harper likes this.
  2. skichanger

You are in the wrong club.

3. skichanger

ROFL Nice!

4. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Tell me about this club where you can book any weekend. Any day. All season. Actually every weekend.
    Actually. Explain the concept of booking and chores.

5. skichanger

Don't think we have chores any more, or at least not very onerous ones like when we first joined.

If you book in the member booking period you can book ....

actually since all you are ever interested in doing is criticizing and telling me I am wrong I really cannot be bothered

6. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

OK, I've not seen any that cheap to buy in or with per night rates per room; that'd be a very good deal.

Donzah likes this.
  7. Donzah

I have friends that are in a lodge in smiggs.
    They booked their week in August in September. .Last year.
    They're struggling to get any weekends this season till mid September.
    So basically. .

8. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You guys are just defending your choice of winter accoms. Just because someone else chose something different doesn't make them wrong, nor does it threaten your choice. Chillax, people. Lots of ways to stay near the snow.

tot, crackson, Marty_McSly and 9 others like this.
  9. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We are in a lodge that has options in Jindy and Smiggins, cost to join was under $5k. We book in March and got every second weekend plus a few nights in smiggins for inter schools. I know one family got every weekend as they are in season programs.

Jindy - each room has a bathroom and kitchenette plus main common area and your chores are to clean up after yourself and strip the bed after use. Pretty much the same as you do at home. Costs us about $250 for friday plus Saturday for a family of four.

Smiggs is fully catered and yeah people take turns to set the table and run the dishwasher, not a big deal.

Has worked for us, but may not work for all. I know some clubs are very restrictive on when you can book. Do your research.

I wouldn’t compare the lease systems of Canberra and Thredbo to caravan parks, as there are protective clauses in the lease as has been seen in Canberra where land has been purchased back.

As for Westpac pulling smsf lending this is poor journalism at its best. Anyone who knows anything about lending and smsf lending knows that the rules for lending to smsf are more restrictive as you can not get personal guarantees and therefore a higher risk loan style. Banks are also capped on investment lending and whilst the initial prudential limits have been eased their are other measures the banks are now being assessed on which means high weighting to investment lending is unwanted. Westpac desire to not lend to smsf is most likely to do with allocating investment resources to standard home loan channels.

Also note Westpac through St George have possibly the highest exposure to SMSF lending as they ST George had a product feature (offset account) and an interest only that most other smsf lenders don’t have. This has likely meant apra have been much more aggressive on their risk profiling of the Westpac book.

I am not saying the housing market won’t stall in many areas it has and will as borrowing capacity is down. But doom and gloom meh, easy way to sell papers. As for the effect on I/o lending changes, these really aren’t that big.

whether likes this.
  10. climberman

Great prices on lodge.
    Is the nightly rate pp or per room?

11. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I am keen to know about the lodge.

I have looked at a few now and they all have some sort of restrictions on bookings.

12. skichanger

The club is schuss ski club. https://www.schuss.com.au/winter/

DH was booking secretary a few years ago. We used it extensively when we lived in Sydney - 20 days a season. Members have a priority booking period. There are a few dates at Thredbo where there is a ballot. Midweek at Mt Buller is almost never full.

Rates have gone up a little since I last looked - Members are $62 for Friday and Saturday nights and $53.50 for mid week in Winter high.
    https://www.schuss.com.au/thredbo/accommodation/
    Thredbo lodge has had extensive renovations since I was last there.

All rooms have ensuites.

We are now looking at moving to Canberra . If we do my mogul skier will probably spend the season at the Thredbo lodge unless he finds better accommodation in Jindy.

skull and climberman like this.
  13. skichanger

Per person for members and it has gone up a little since I last looked. But if you average it for Winter low and summer $29 it is pretty good.

climberman likes this.
  14. climberman

15. skichanger

So does that mean every club is like that?Really you should not jump to conclusions. Be a little more open minded and maybe a little more worldly wise and aware there are other options.

I know there are lots of clubs with ridiculous restrictions. Personally I don't understand why you would be a member of a club like that when there are so many other options.

Unless it has changed since DH was booking secretary, Schuss does not open for member bookings till November and for public bookings till March.

The club was originally an Adelaide based club formed by a group of doctors. When we joined there were very few Sydney members and we could always get NSW school holidays. There were times when we only booked a month on advance for school holidays. This has changed, but at the Mt Buller lodge you can usually get anytime mid-week.

16. Arsas

Arsas One of Us

When was the last time you booked? I only ask because everything has got a lot busier in the last few years.
    @ Donzah is correct that having a permanent caravan is a lot more flexible than a Lodge. Donzah can go whenever he likes and at the last minute. I don't know many lodges that have many vacancies left especially after the Full members have all of there date requests in and then it is opened to associate members. It's even harder if you are a family of 4 or 5, a single or couple may be able to get beds.
    You are right that you need to check with particular lodges about the booking rules. I know some have a preference points system and you earn points by turning up to the lodge working bees.

17. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It really is something. The free campgrounds are copping a flogging, in decades of visiting, I have not seen any period like it.

I blame figglers.

sly_karma and crackson like this.
  18. climberman

Because basically NOTHING else anywhere is free AND bookings free. Very few coastal campgrounds etc.

19. telecrag

Some people I know still freak out at the idea of camping there in winter, not too many years ago I reckon the majority thought that. But gear, Internet, people start doing it.

You wait, with all the promo, hipsters will work out a way to have beer and coffee vending on the MR, to cater to the increase in numbers actually using that AT gear they bought ten years ago.

zac150 and skull like this.
  20. Donzah

Five years ago i used to take pictures of people camping in the van park in winter. I thought they were bonkers.
    Now.....

I've also noticed the evolution of the camping gear in our van park.
    So many high tech swags now lakeside . Low and solid.

21. skichanger

We have not used the Thredbo or Falls Creek lodges for a few years. My mogul skier goes to Mt Buller for ABOM. We have no problems booking that for him.

Members have a priority booking period from November to March. After that it is open to the public.

whilst in the early days of the club there were working bees and quite onerous chores this is no longer the case.

The point I was making is that I would not buy the rights to a site at a caravan park, especially when there is no guarantee you won't be kicked out, when I can be a member of a club that is probably cheaper. That is my opinion, my choice. I am not saying this is right for everyone else. Not sure why this is such a problem for some people.

During the period we have been members of Schuss memberships have been as low as $6k. Last time I looked they were under $10k. Not sure what they are now, but you do have an asset you can sell, usually for as much as you have paid.

22. telecrag

Mind you, we saw a couple of wreckers in the wind on Monday night! How they thought that would work, haha

23. Donzah

-Its cheaper.
    -You never have to book.
    -its year round.

skull and crackson like this.
  24. climberman

They freak out because it can be actually freezing and horrible!

piolet, skull and telecrag like this.
  25. Arsas

Arsas One of Us

Don't think it is a problem, just people have different requirements. If you are a person that knows when they can go to the snow and books in advance (months) than a Lodge works. But if you like to follow the snow and weather and wait till after a big dump or go when its dumping and go last minute than a Lodge is not for you.

I think you may find it a lot harder to get in these days, everything has gone crazy in NSW in last few years. Also you are only booking for a single.

I personally wouldn't buy into a CP or a Lodge. Both have their pros and cons and don't suit everyone.

skull and skichanger like this.
  26. skichanger

We have saved way more than the membership cost us over the years so the investment has been well worth while. Before we moved down here we did summer holidays as well. At that time it was $8 per person per night. And my cousin is a member so we had family holidays with them as well. Great to be on neutral territory for those things.

As a reference it costs my mogul skier $22 to camp when he goes to water ramp.

27. skull

legend, thank you.

skichanger likes this.
  28. skull

when my friends find out we have taken to camping at the snowies their minds blow.

I will continue to tell people it is a terrible idea and they shouldn't consider it. :D

coolair, Jacko4650, zac150 and 4 others like this.
  29. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Just do a permanent setup at ngarigo with an old bus or caravan and annex for the season. Parks don't mind.

Myazma, telecrag and skull like this.
  30. telecrag

Haha! I just use it at lunch for a cup of tea!

crackson likes this.
  31. climberman

Or in the Thredbo car park!!!!

zac150, crackson and skull like this.
  32. telecrag

He has moved to Ngarigo!

33. climberman

Well it’s a start.

crackson and telecrag like this.
  34. Donzah

and they get angry at Tobboggans !!!!!

crackson, climberman and telecrag like this.
  35. Donzah

Heaps of old buses getting around this season.
    I'd be getting the bubbble wrap onto the windows for sure.

crackson likes this.
  36. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I've nothing against buses or hardcore setups, but we must all play within the rules.

Two weeks max at a time is more than fair and taking a couple of days off and relocating each time is easy.

coolair likes this.
  37. zac150

Depends on which lodge, Jindy is a per room cost so $250 covers all four of us for the weekend $125 a night. We do the two nights as Saturday has a loading if booked as a single. Makes the trip pretty hassle free.

Smiggins is per person per night.

climberman likes this.
  38. zac150

@Arsas our bookings open in April and we put our forms in and got 20 days no issues and our lodge has some open spots.

Yes we can’t jump in the car for a powder day but to be honest we are knackered by the end of the season as it is so wouldn’t use the spontaneous days.

If a caravan park is $5k annum I still have plenty of cash left over to pay for the odd additional stay if I can’t get into the lodge.

BrindiCruiser likes this.
  39. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Relocate to a farm and rent out in peak periods as a "farmstay" option. Gets around lots of Council regulations! Passive income for a landowner closeish to Jindy?

40. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

Zac150 I think I might have had a phone call with you about lodges a few years ago, but it may have been another forum member. Which lodge are you talking about?

41. telecrag

Another relocatable for sale, must be moved, from Snowline. Bit of movement going on there at the moment. Why wouldnt the park just buy it, and rent it? Or are they redeveloping?

skull likes this.
  42. skull

yes saw that one too. I would guess they are planning on redeveloping

43. skichanger

I liked the one that had been dropped and had a little bit of floor damage.

Telemark Phat and telecrag like this.
  44. Donzah

They have been moving the onsite cabins on for the last ten years.
    Gradually.
    We have a few of their refugees in our park.
    Snowline onsites are plumbed to waste.
    Jhp aren't.

45. telecrag

I don't get why, what will they build? I understand making more short term rental space, by getting rid of permanents, but for $10K, why not just buy it and rent it out?

Why is the other park different in this regard?

Man I cant wait for RE to go belly up, house across the street sold, 3 beddy, one bath, over $900K, our house must be 1.5 fk me its crazy. This is just one more symptom of the craziness IMO.

crackson likes this.
  46. surfer1

surfer1 Addicted

Things are happening at NRMA park compliance letters on vans been there in excess 30 years for structural engineering certificates. ratios. car space. Going be a worrying time

skull, SMSkier, Jacko4650 and 2 others like this.
  47. telecrag

Just saw a post on FB to see if any local engineers that could help.

skull likes this.
  48. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds similar to what happened a couple of years ago for Southern Cross van park at Berridale (where my van is) - I think in that case the requirement for engineering certificates for any permanent annexes/add-ons was from the local council rather than the park owners. My van is standard (really old, but standard) so I didn’t have to do anything, but there are some impressive structures attached (or indeed encasing) some other vans, so I can only guess some other van owners had to make some effort to get appropriate certification at the time.

Also around the same time - and this was driven by the van park’s insurer and thence the owner - we had to provide evidence annually of the van being insured appropriately. For this I email the manager a PDF after asking NRMA for one every year as they don’t send anything suitable out by default after you renew the policy.

Jonathan_P and SMSkier like this.
  49. surfer1

surfer1 Addicted

Ta Which site on Facebook

50. surfer1

surfer1 Addicted

Yes ours is old van and annex, confident all structurally ok but still insisting on structural certificate and get this a compliance plate even though structure been up for decades.

SMSkier likes this.