Question The Skating Rink?

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by Greatfox, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Greatfox

Greatfox Hard Yards

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, a forum, Wikiski and Google search didn't turn up much at all.

As a Buller regular I know well the area known as the "Skating Rink", containing the bus parking and the toboggan/snowplay area, but what I'm wondering is what is the actual history of the skating rink the area is named after, if even such a thing existed?

Google suggests even as late as 2006 that skating was an activity at Buller but I suspect the website I found that on had their information wrong?

If there was a rink, was it indoor or outdoor? Surely it would have to have been refrigerated? Or did it actually get consistently cold enough down there to keep a rink going for an extended period of time?
    When was it removed?

2. wolly

wolly One of Us

There use to be a skating rink in the old rmb building if I remember correctly. Roughly where alpine central is now

3. Skibuns

Skibuns First Runs

I skated on this rink when the University was still around. It was an indoor rink. I believe this would have been around the late 90's to early 2000's.

Vermillion likes this.
  4. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Was it an indoor rink or a rink on a lower level of the building with cyclone fencing around it? I seem to remember a breeze blowing through the last time I skated there.

5. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

It was under the tennis courts

Vermillion likes this.
  6. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

I only remember this because I had the misfortune of spending a lot of time on the mountain in the bad seasons of the 90s and pretty much found every thing possible besides skiing to do up there.

7. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

It was called Skating Rink as far back as the 1940's because it was the only flat area on the way up the mountain.

The first YHA lodge called "Shiver Shanty" was built in 1946 at the base of horse hill slope where it meets Skating Rink (left side side of the road going up) and that was used as a base to build the YHA lodge up the top, my father was involved in both builds as a member of YHA

Over the road from Skating Rink where the big bus park is was not there, it was a small water soak from run off under the road and YHA used it as the water source.

Pic of Shiver Shanty, see the path up the back went up to Horse hill

[​IMG]

Dave Clark, currawong and djam like this.