1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question The snow-covered peaks visible from the Ramshead

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by sbm_, Sep 3, 2018.

1. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'd just like to check my map reading here. Is this right?

Looking from one of the Ramshead peaks (or the top of Thredbo), to the south you have the far side of the Thredbo valley - from right to left you have the Cascades ridge, Brindle Bull Hill, and Paddy Rush's Bogong.

Beyond that the peaks with snow would be the Pilot, and behind that, the Cobberras.

Looking to the west, you have Mt Pinnibar and Mt Gibbo often with a dusting of snow, and then in the distance the Bogong high plains.

2. legend

legend One of Us

Not seeing the photo, I'm thinking Drift Hill, Paddy Rush's Bogong (immediately opposite the eastern entry to Thredbo), Chimney Range and Chimneys, the big open saddle with the start of the Jacobs River, The Cascades.
    Behind the Cascades - The Pilot and Cobberas. To the left of all this the distinctive gently sloping Mt Tingaringy with its cliff on the western (right) side. In the far distance you will see a somewhat pointy mountain - Mount Ellery.
    The large flat area is Davies Plain (west of Cobberas/ Pilot and above the Murray River)
    The rest is okay. You might see two distant snowy flat areas to the west. The first are The Bogong High Plains (Mt Nelse) and the second is Mt Bogong with its distinctive drop off on the northern (right) side.

Sean Sunley likes this.
  3. Gimp

Gimp One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

20/6/18

4. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

@legend unfortunately I'm not a good enough photographer to have any photos really showing what I mean. The stuff closer to the horizon that I'm interested in is just tiny blobs. E.g. the Pilot and the Cobberras in Gimp's second photo.

5. JAM

JAM Hard Yards

The distant snow covered peaks left of centre in the first photo and right of centre in the second photo are The Pilot (left) and Cobberas (right). These are peaks in a rain shadow which rarely get enough snow to ski on. If you ever want to ski there, I suggest you don't waste any time!

The really distant double peaked hill on the left of the second photo is Mt Ellery, from which the Gippsland coast is visible.

JAM

POW_hungry and skifree like this.
  6. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG]

Bogong in the background. Pinnibar in the middle ground. Gibbo out of shot to the left.

[​IMG]

Pilot left. Cobberas right.

Can't help on the east side of thredbo.

sbm_, Sean Sunley and skifree like this.