The Spring Weather Banter Thread

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
4,031
225
213
30
Melbourne
A couple of shots from my window. Probably the same cell that smashed into Cranbourne Verm.
DSC03394.jpg


DSC03395.jpg


DSC03396.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Claude Cat

On my bike
Moderator
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
132,724
91,608
3,525
Canterbury, Vic
16mm here, EC proving right again on totals. A bit of a fizzer, although some areas did ok.

Ferny Creek 46mm, Hotham 70+ mm, Falls 50+ mm
 

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
19,704
14,471
813
melbourne
nice view from the SE flats at monash there ice man!

i'm working on the building with the monster crane in first + middle pic
 

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
4,031
225
213
30
Melbourne
mr said:
nice view from the SE flats at monash there ice man!

i'm working on the building with the monster crane in first + middle pic

Cheers
biggrin.gif
But it's not SE flats... Halls of Residence to be more precise. The amazing thing was the Menzies building disappeared from view completely in the storm. I haven't seen that happen before (aside from foggy mornings)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
4,031
225
213
30
Melbourne
Flood warnings out for Latrobe, Yarra rivers and Westernport catchments. Nothing out for NE Victoria... they appear to have got the heaviest falls.
 
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
19,704
14,471
813
melbourne
ah of course ice man, i had my orientation wrong, menzies is one of ours too

the intensity wasnt too bad in brunswick last night, feel like we missed out on a fair bit of action
 

slalom pete

Hard Yards
Jun 4, 2001
827
8
68
nsw
ice_man said:
Flood warnings out for Latrobe, Yarra rivers and Westernport catchments. Nothing out for NE Victoria... they appear to have got the heaviest falls.
I recorded 37mm here in Albury with most of it falling overnight.Not really enough to worry about.They have been releasing a lot water from the Hume dam over the last 2 weeks in anticipation of the forecasted heavy falls.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Claude Cat

On my bike
Moderator
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
132,724
91,608
3,525
Canterbury, Vic
Ok, looks like we're settling in for a weekly trough pattern. Just like last year.

For next week:

11111706_1018.gif


apf78_init-2011111018z_fcst-z_APF_vic_.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
74,205
29,802
1,563
121
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Today and tomorrow look great for boating. Just my luck
smile.gif


More trough weather next week, I am fine with this. Lots of lawn mowing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
4,031
225
213
30
Melbourne
Couple of weak fronts to move through on Monday morning and Wednesday morning. GFS appears to think they're rather significant (5-10mm over southern Vic, more over Gippsland). AXS thinks there's nothing in them at all.

From experience weak fronts this time of year can bring surprises as stray showers can be surprisingly heavy.
 

Claude Cat

On my bike
Moderator
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
132,724
91,608
3,525
Canterbury, Vic
GFS has storms re-developing this Friday.

stormcast_init-2011111318z_fcst-2011111806z_li_vic_.png


The trough doesn't look as strong as last week's events at this stage.

11111818_1312.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

phantomas

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2005
263
71
98
121
Darwin
Claude Cat said:
I gather it's not THAT humid.
It is quite normal (~40%), the only explanation is that the wet bulb thermometer has run dry and now measures as the dry bulb thermometer
except that I was under the impression they use some other electronic device which didn't need a wet sock over the bulb, I think I have disproved my assumption here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
24,554
13,101
1,063
Lurking
Quite a heavy sea mist rolled in to the beaches (Coogee/Maroubra) as I was out for my morning cycle. Was accompanied by quite a noticable drop in air temperature near the beach. Most likley an advection fog (warm air over cooler water) after the stong NE winds over the weekend. Forecasting a burst of colder water at the beaches this week.
 

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
4,031
225
213
30
Melbourne
phantomas said:
Claude Cat said:
I gather it's not THAT humid.
It is quite normal (~40%), the only explanation is that the wet bulb thermometer has run dry and now measures as the dry bulb thermometer
except that I was under the impression they use some other electronic device which didn't need a wet sock over the bulb, I think I have disproved my assumption here.

No, your assumption is probably correct, they would have to use an electronic device for a city weather station (don't know what it is, maybe someone else here can explain) but it might be one of those cases where the humidity sensor has become faulty. I know that happened last summer to my home weather station in a period of extremely humid weather. Got to the stage where it would only work accurately if the humidity was below 50% (which was surprisingly rare last summer in Victoria!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
37,433
1,502
1,063
Vermillion said:
A couple of solid storms passed over me dumping some rain early in the morning. Nice light show too.

Yep was about midnight/1am from memory!

Was a good show with the curtains open !!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

phantomas

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2005
263
71
98
121
Darwin
Taxman said:
Quite a heavy sea mist rolled in to the beaches (Coogee/Maroubra) as I was out for my morning cycle. Was accompanied by quite a noticable drop in air temperature near the beach. Most likley an advection fog (warm air over cooler water) after the stong NE winds over the weekend. Forecasting a burst of colder water at the beaches this week.

oh I saw one of those coming in over queenscliff once, also from the north east, was pretty spooky.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

phantomas

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2005
263
71
98
121
Darwin
ice_man said:
phantomas said:
Claude Cat said:
I gather it's not THAT humid.
It is quite normal (~40%), the only explanation is that the wet bulb thermometer has run dry and now measures as the dry bulb thermometer
except that I was under the impression they use some other electronic device which didn't need a wet sock over the bulb, I think I have disproved my assumption here.

No, your assumption is probably correct, they would have to use an electronic device for a city weather station (don't know what it is, maybe someone else here can explain) but it might be one of those cases where the humidity sensor has become faulty. I know that happened last summer to my home weather station in a period of extremely humid weather. Got to the stage where it would only work accurately if the humidity was below 50% (which was surprisingly rare last summer in Victoria!)

and hey presto someone found the jug of water fill it up again, this happened also two weeksgo, also on monday morning

copy pasta for prosperity
6342998390_658b6179ca_b.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Claude Cat

On my bike
Moderator
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
132,724
91,608
3,525
Canterbury, Vic
Trough for Friday seems to be weakening. Still a moderate chance of storms for Melbourne.
Looks stormy for eastern NSW Wednesday & Thursday afternoons though.
 

Claude Cat

On my bike
Moderator
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
132,724
91,608
3,525
Canterbury, Vic
Yes, a chance, although I wouldn't have thought a big one, IMO. Mind you BOM are going with it.
Some light rain though, which should hang around till tomorrow morning.
 

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
74,205
29,802
1,563
121
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
TTs, LI and CAPE dont jump out at me as something awesome, so best could be a few heavy showers. Speaking of which I got smashed at home in a heavy shower yesterday arvo, dumped 5mm in less than 10mins. One side of Cranbourne was dry, my side was soaked.
 

Claude Cat

On my bike
Moderator
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
132,724
91,608
3,525
Canterbury, Vic
Perhaps a few small cells with the leading edge of the change coming through Melbourne now. Nothing much to get excited about.
 

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
4,031
225
213
30
Melbourne
It certainly seems to be intensifying... when I checked the radar an hour or so ago it was very patchy light rain. Now it's a reasonable band, Gippsland should see a few mm out of this.
 

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
4,031
225
213
30
Melbourne
Nothing to see in Clayton, and I'm up six storeys. Shame, I'm quite bored having finished all my exams
frown.gif


Radar suggests I would be more entertained if I was home in Gippsland...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Log in

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass