The Surf Thread

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Belly, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Queen's birthday, start frothing, I think it's looking pretty good for the east coast, in particular Sunday - Wednesday'ish (may arrive just in time for the Fiji men's event also).

2. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Had a fun one out the front this morning (Bondi). 4ft with the odd +5ft roguey.
    3 dudes out (matched the degrees windchill), 20C underwater.
    Fkn love winter.

3. Ted Harper

Ted Harper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I am tentatively lined-up for a lunchtime surf tomorrow with a couple of friends. One of their birthday tomorrow (55th) and she wants to sneak out for a celebratory paddle so we got the band together :) Hope it's ok at the Northern Beaches Secret Spot - she'll likely want to go to the south end (preferring a couple of feet to 4-5', and it's her birthday so she gets to choose) but the banks haven't been great there for the last few weeks on high-ish tides. I hope it's ok because it will mean I have little chance of getting my wetty dry before the regular Saturday morning early and I may be forcing myself to choose between one and the other...

Belly likes this.
  4. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

Makes me miss home like crazy...

derwent likes this.
  5. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 Dedicated Member

Love ya work @Belly

You could safely say that Easter & QBW would be the better bets for waves/surf road trips over the calendar period that fall on Public holidays, with Anzac day a close 3rd

#5 FourSquare04, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Ted Harper likes this.
  6. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah we've had a good run of public holiday waves this year for sure - no complaints. Still a way off for Queens birthday but there is going to be surfable waves.

7. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Enjoyed some warm water last week up in qld. Didn't enjoy my fitness, or lack thereof

8. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

Update: An aborted surf mission today. Windy, cloud came over, looked a bit sharky, generally crap. Might have been ok elsewhere but the Northern Beaches Secret Location didn't work out for us today. Of course I am frothing (as always) for the early tomorrow anyway AND I have just officially put my Subaru into winter mode by putting the ski holders onto the racks :)

9. Drewboy

Drewboy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Pretty ordinary down our way also,short period swell lumpy and bumpy.Not looking good for the weekend with more southerlies predicted

FourSquare04 likes this.
  10. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

This morning wasn't great. I surfed at the south end 1/2 way between the coffee shop and Kiddies' Corner. Was only a couple of feet on the sets - short rides ending in shallow-water closeouts.

About 20 were out in front of the toilet block where it was 4-5' and a lot of water moving; order of the day there was take off, pump a couple of quick turns then (very importantly) kick out before the explosive closeout on the ridiculously-shallow shorebreak (which also had a fair suck-out current in it making it even more board-snapping than it would have normally been). I was happy by myself in the relative dribblers further south; the rest of my usual Saturday group went home without getting wet, so I was duty-bound to catch enough for everyone :)

Driving past Newport to take my twins to soccer I saw that Newport Plus had a contest on at the Peak where it looked "challenging", so good luck for anyone involved in that today!

FourSquare04 likes this.
  11. Drewboy

Drewboy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

The same down our way.The beach was mostly closeouts and the point very heavily populated.The southerly just keeps on blowing.Getting all the skis out and about to tune and wax,will post pic in ski quiver.

Ted Harper likes this.
  12. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Mornington Peninsula...
    Protected reefs in Westernport have barely fired this autumn.
    Very few open beaches days either. Surfed thrice in 2 months :(
    Got a landscaping job in Anglesea on the surf coast July/august. Can't wait.
    Might even do a bit of work in between surfs...

13. FourSquare04

Sounds like I didn't miss anything - decided to give it a wide steer when I heard the words "South swell"

14. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

Yesterday wasn't great either - about half the size of Saturday but no quality. We all surfed though, unlike Saturday where I was the only one of the usual weekend early crew silly enough to paddle out - however one of my friends who always surfs about when the rest of us finish in the morning said he had a good session a bit later on Saturday.

Anyway yesterday morning we surfed North Palm Beach off the middle of the carpark and it was very straight, crunching down fairly hard and swirly currents. The mal club decided to hold their monthly contest just north of us but the bank they choose didn't look great when we were there either.

We saw a couple of whales though before we paddled out (I passed my little telescope I keep in the car for checking Barrenjoey around) breaching and doing other cool whale things. Looked like this (without the whales) before we paddled out and progressively got worse from there:

Belly likes this.
  15. FourSquare04

@Ted Harper this is today at your "Secret Northern Beaches location" ;)

[​IMG]

POW_hungry, nfip, Belly and 1 other person like this.
  16. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

Of course it would be (sigh). I woke up this morning around 4am and decided it was going to be a couple of yuck days in Sydney and on the spur of the moment to go skiing today and tomorrow. I am in my caravan in Berridale now after skiing a whole lot of laps of Front Valley from about 11am onwards. Naturally the surf would be awesome when I am 5 hours away (side note: the snow was pretty good today too, had a nice catch up with @Normo and learnt a lot about Nespresso-compatible coffee pods from Bruno at Brunelli's because it was quiet enough that he had plenty of time for a chat). Did you get out there to make up for my absence from the secret spot on what looks like the best conditions for a couple of weeks?

My twins' school has a pupil-free day on Friday so they are coming surfing with me then and with any luck therefore I can get 4 consecutive days surfing.

Belly and POW_hungry like this.
  17. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

Got the hustle along from the boys this evening. Gonna hit it (Bondi) before work tomorrow. Here's how she looks on paper...
    5ft+, 8 second period, 24kts onshore, 10C minimum (5C w/windchill). Can't wait.:whistle:

FourSquare04 and Belly like this.
  18. FourSquare04

Jeez, you'd want to be keen!

At least it will be 'uncrowded'

19. PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Nice conditions this morning, pretty much offshore and good south swell. Nothing in my neck of the woods but would be pumping somewhere!

Belly likes this.
  20. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

Boneyards be worth a gander (although lacking size and a bit south) but Southern Werri would be my pick

21. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah clean , but not seeing much size to speak of.
    Will update.....

22. PiniPowPow

Season Pass Silver

Was a bit small and tide a bit high for the point. Probably both these places will be on at low.

POW_hungry likes this.
  23. FourSquare04

Swell direction ideally needs to be E/NE to get in there, if it's S it just pushes past the best part of the reef eh

24. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Looking forward to a wave this weekend, understatement :)

Ted Harper likes this.
  25. PiniPowPow

Season Pass Silver

yep bit of east helps everywhere out!

POW_hungry and FourSquare04 like this.
  26. FourSquare04

Just had a look at the Long weekend forecast.

Looking like weak, onshore waves.

At least you would think that it will be uncrowded, hopefully

27. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I'm a little more bullish...

28. nfip

Season Pass Gold

Golfy is breaking but only just .
    3 feet maybe on the low tide too as PPP mentions ^^.
    Direction didn't look so good.
    Thinking the low was too close to us to get any real biz from it.
    May swing as it moves away and NE
    haven't looked at a chart just an old skool obs looking out the window driving by .....

29. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

Fully! But there's not many options direct South for both swell and wind on a mid-range swell. 'Bout the only place I can think of.

30. FourSquare04

Yeah very true for that part of coast.

Love the Shellharbour / Shoal Haven region :)

POW_hungry likes this.
  31. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

32. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I'm heading to Forster early Friday morning ...... looking forward to getting my new board wet .

[​IMG]

33. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I think you're looking right, although the winds are looking a bit friendlier further south. Still there'll be surfable waves, could be worse :)

FourSquare04 likes this.
  34. FourSquare04

Yeah could be flat. I don't mind surfing when it's onshore as long as it's not just straight handers. If there's workable rip bowls and banks then sweet! Usually means less heads in the water

35. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Coastalwatch are definitely from the glass half full camp reading their weekend outlook, not a bad thing.
    Yep, always happy to get a corner, a bottom turn and some sort of intermediate turn in :)

FourSquare04 likes this.
  36. nfip

Season Pass Gold

Sponsored kindly by Tourism Eurobodalla ;)

FourSquare04 and Belly like this.
  37. blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

Close encounter at Avoca - 18yo knocked off his board by a "large shark" last Sunday 5pm.

38. Drewboy

Drewboy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I would be interested in a review of the new board.

Belly likes this.
  39. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

It was flat here today , so didn't get to use it . I am around mid north coast for about 5 weeks so it will get a good workout .
    A mate of mine has one and rates them . I got a 5'8" 35 litres smallest board I've ever had .
    I am trying to work out where to stop on my way down tomorrow (from Gold Coast)

Drewboy and DPS Driver like this.
  40. nfip

Season Pass Gold

The "new board curse " strikes again. !

parkmonkey likes this.
  41. FourSquare04

Tread carefully up there @Nozawaman the noah's are everywhere up there now

Ted Harper likes this.
  42. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

I have the Dorsal app (and the official SharkSmart one too) on my phone and I have been amazed how many shark alerts there have been in recent months for the Port Macquarie to Forster area - possibly even more than for the further-north area which was positively going off with shark sightings on those apps the previous 6 months but seems to have eased back lately. Different currents moving the food sources down the coast maybe?

They were always there (I surfed a lot at Forster when I was a teenager and was in the SLSC at Town Beach then at One Mile after it started, and for the last 20 or so years have surfed at least a couple of weeks at Port every year), and I can't really say how many more there might be around now but there are definitely confirmed sightings every day or so somewhere in that stretch recently.

43. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

You're not missing anything up here NM. Conditions are perfect though.

Nice board. They go alright. I'm too poor to own one though. Well perhaps too tight might be a better turn of phrase. Enjoy.

Belly and POW_hungry like this.
  44. nfip

Season Pass Gold

45. FourSquare04

Not sure if I've mentioned this to you before @Ted Harper but one of my best mates has had a family holiday house in Forster for a good 30 years now.

Spent many a long weekend & school holiday period up there scouring the nearby coastal region for the perfect wave :D

To be honest, we never ever considered (nor sighted) the thought of noah's up around there, sure, they could strike at any time anywhere but back then, we were all young dumb full of.... teenagers on eski lids looking for tube time and trying el rolo's.

But now, given the spate of recent incidents and frequent sightings in this area, it certainly plays more in the back of my mind, not that I've been up there for a while and surfed that area. That incident at 7 Mile last year really hit home, given I'd surfed that epic stretch of sand probably close to 100 times and never ever seen anything other than dolphins or bird life.

The northern corner of that spectacular stretch is one that we would often go to when everywhere else was close to flat as it typically sucked in the swell and had a good left hand wedge when conditions were right. After meeting a crew up the coast one easter and talking about waves, they had described that spot as being referred to as "Sharkies" which I'd never heard of before and had always referred to it as "Janey's"

Having spoken to one of the family related crew with the house up there, he has been surfing up there over the last 12 months on a number of occasions and when we talked about the 7 mile incident that occurred last November, he had surfed Boomerang the same day and had spoken to a few of the locals up there. They had mentioned that there were frequent sightings and that the water quality was significantly murkier than the spectacular clear type you have come to expect especially around the Pacific Palms area.

It's all very interesting that's for sure....and If I was to go back to Forster I would certainly be on the cautious side and surfing the spots with more heads in the water, rather than seeking out the more uncrowded options that we used to!

Belly likes this.
  46. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Since I've spent more time heading north I've generally bypassed the area, but had a super fun session at Tuncurry a couple of years back (with a follow-up at Salty in the arvo :) ). Would like to explore there more in the future but it's almost too close to my second home and the lure of the long points lie not that much further north. I reckon crowds are about par too, every time I check Boomerang it's a zoo, at least when the mid-north points are pumping things space out a little.

FourSquare04 likes this.
  47. FourSquare04

You're right @Belly the PP region has become a very popular area and Boomers is easily the most populated of that little cluster and rightfully so, it tends to have pretty consistent banks, but also a few options with the South corner a nice rocky right hander, beachies galore along the stretch and a nice protected NE corner at the north end. Had some good sessions there.

Never ever scored Bluey's good eh, very fickle.

The sharkiest feeling experience I've ever had was at Saltwater / Wallabi Pt when it was solid and we were on the outside section, and rightfully so, it's been the location of a few recent encounters!

48. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I'd like to check the one just south of Blueys (or so), PPP has spoken of some good sessions there.

49. PiniPowPow

Season Pass Silver

Yep, have had some great surfs up there. Feels like crowds have increased? dont know.

Werri was cooking this morning :)

Belly likes this.
  50. FourSquare04

Agreed - they have increased. More people surfing these days and more and more people moving away from the big smoke I reckon, seeking quiter, more uncrowded times (and more affordable given the ridiculous house prices).

In other news, looks like it's pumping in Sydney today with 3ft+ E swell and earlier there was a light W/SW wind

Images courtesy of @Sprout_daily with @SAsurfa likely to be somewhere in amongst this mob:

[​IMG]

SAsurfa and Belly like this.