The Surf Thread

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Surfed in boardies and wetsuit top today
My intended outfit for tomorrow morning is a 1mm long sleeved top and neoprene boardies (which have been unkindly referred to in the past as my “rubber training pants”). Anything for a bit more paddling speed as apparently it was rather hectic and mal-full this morning at the NBSS (from about 5:45am onwards).

On a completely unrelated matter, Soul Surf has sold about half my “retro” boards already (several weeks ago in fact, I just forgot to post it). Shame to see them going but I couldn’t keep them any more so someone else may as well enjoy them.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I pretty much go from a steamer to a 2mm spring suit around October and do that all summer - indeed into at least April if not May. I do use boardies and a 1mm short sleeve top from time to time, but mostly it’s the spring suit.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Don't have a spring suit but thinking about it. Planning an early if the buoy looks ok and will probably revert to the 3/2 short arm for first thing in the morning.

Reactions: FourSquare04

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Great little surf at South Narra this morning.

Flat as a pancake. But nice clean 1ft sets with minimal wind and the sun shining makes it worth the paddle.

IMG_3588.jpg

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
But nice clean 1ft sets with minimal wind and the sun shining makes it worth the paddle.
Similar at the Northern Beaches Secret Spot. The bank I would have preferred to surf on (at bend-in-the-road) was overcrowded from before dawn, so we surfed directly in front of the north end SLSC. Not the best waves on the beach but no randoms. I surfed from about 6:15-7:45, my watch says I caught 18 waves - all pretty small and inconsequential. I thought it would improve as the tide dropped, but the swell seems to drop off faster than the tide dropped, so it ended up the best part of the session was early.

I surfed in a 1mm long sleeved top and my neoprene boardshorts. My friends were variously in rashie+boardshorts, 1mm top and boardshorts, springy and 3/2 steamer. The guys in the springy and the steamer said they were too warm, and I would have been fine with just normal boardies rather than my rubber ones.

Here are some photos from after I finished - with one of my friends on the bank I was on straight in front of the surf club with her getting as good a wave as was coming through by then on her mal. Also you can see the overcrowded banks (or at least far more people than available waves) both north and south of where we were:

C972279D-92C8-407A-A7C4-F5903B0753D7.jpeg
28E60BFF-972E-43A9-A024-E0A95C110FCE.jpeg
31518B09-0190-4DD2-8998-69E4DBFCEC39.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Similar at the Northern Beaches Secret Spot. The bank I would have preferred to surf on (at bend-in-the-road) was overcrowded from before dawn, so we surfed directly in front of the north end SLSC. Not the best waves on the beach but no randoms. I surfed from about 6:15-7:45, my watch says I caught 18 waves - all pretty small and inconsequential. I thought it would improve as the tide dropped, but the swell seems to drop off faster than the tide dropped, so it ended up the best part of the session was early.

I surfed in a 1mm long sleeved top and my neoprene boardshorts. My friends were variously in rashie+boardshorts, 1mm top and boardshorts, springy and 3/2 steamer. The guys in the springy and the steamer said they were too warm, and I would have been fine with just normal boardies rather than my rubber ones.

Here are some photos from after I finished - with one of my friends on the bank I was on straight in front of the surf club with her getting as good a wave as was coming through by then on her mal. Also you can see the overcrowded banks (or at least far more people than available waves) both north and south of where we were:

C972279D-92C8-407A-A7C4-F5903B0753D7.jpeg
28E60BFF-972E-43A9-A024-E0A95C110FCE.jpeg
31518B09-0190-4DD2-8998-69E4DBFCEC39.jpeg
Nice photos!

South Narra was pretty crowded too given the size and inconsistency. I'd say there were at least 15 guys out when I paddled out and about 30 as I paddled in to get home for Dad duties..

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
@parkmonkyey ........ how's the schoolies down there?
Off the charts up here, after Gold Coast cancellations.
I was breathtested this arvo by a female policewomen on a horse with a iPad!!
There’s a fair few around for sure, i have a feeling this coming week will be even more from enquires I’m getting. Some reports on the facebook community board of large gatherings in the park at night after the police told them all not to show up and they would be policing it (local police here do SFA almost zero presence in town anytime). I saw the footage of Noosa main beach crazy, Bryon has nothing setup for them probably an even worse situation than just accepting they’d be coming.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Out of control down here in Manly on the weekend, drunk teenagers wondering around from early afternoon Saturday.
Sounds horrible! All I can report in a semi-similar vein is one of my friends had dinner at the NBSS golf club on Saturday night and there were two tables of ladies (total about 20 of them) who had rented a couple of nearby houses for the weekend and were partying it up quite large. He asked them what they were celebrating and they said they were "moolies" (Mothers Of Schoolies) celebrating that their little cherubs had finished their HSCs.

Reactions: Craig B

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
I feel pretty sorry for this years schoolies, i know its sucked for all of us but would have been a shitty final year of school, i never did the schoolies thing but had New Years with a bunch of my best mates down in Lorne and am still good friends with many people from my year. We had a school reunion 2yrs ago was a really big turn out we were a pretty tight group (this is back in Victoria where is did my final couple years, was at Bryon high for a couple years). I don’t think councils should have just put their head in the sand and pretended it wasn’t gonna happen, at least if it was organised it would be somewhat controlled.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
I had quite an ok surf this morning (in a micro-grovel sort of way). A couple of my friends missed rollcall (so only two of us surfing at the start), then one of them saw us on the cam and made a late appearance.

It was maybe 6”, so it was pretty close to the lower limit for me on my 5’7” Ultra Joe (my mate was on his 7’something CI Waterhog).

Here’s a short clip with two waves - the first where my friend decided it may as well be a party wave with me, and the second was me grovelling on one of the itty-bitty runners we were getting all session. I got about 18 ok little waves like in the video clip, and he would have been about the same (and our late-arriving friend had more than a dozen by the time I left - she was still going then), so a worthwhile grovel :)

Avalon - during my apres-surf coffee visit - was dead flat but very pretty:

4C886689-7468-4FD1-8DD5-A1E38048AEC4.jpeg

I don’t think I will surf tomorrow; will save some brownie points and keep my powder dry for Wednesday onwards...

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
I had quite an ok surf this morning (in a micro-grovel sort of way). A couple of my friends missed rollcall (so only two of us surfing at the start), then one of them saw us on the cam and made a late appearance.

It was maybe 6”, so it was pretty close to the lower limit for me on my 5’7” Ultra Joe (my mate was on his 7’something CI Waterhog).

Here’s a short clip with two waves - the first where my friend decided it may as well be a party wave with me, and the second was me grovelling on one of the itty-bitty runners we were getting all session. I got about 18 ok little waves like in the video clip, and he would have been about the same (and our late-arriving friend had more than a dozen by the time I left - she was still going then), so a worthwhile grovel :)

Avalon - during my apres-surf coffee visit - was dead flat but very pretty:

4C886689-7468-4FD1-8DD5-A1E38048AEC4.jpeg

I don’t think I will surf tomorrow; will save some brownie points and keep my powder dry for Wednesday onwards...

Was that an attempted cover up?

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Was that an attempted cover up?
Yep; you always have to pull in, don’t you, even when it is micro :)

Not enough wave to do much with a lot of them but it was fun enough to take off and get a bit of a run on them - good practice trying to stay in the sweet spot of the board and the waves.

I don’t wax the front 18” or so of the board at all (really, when do you ever go up there on a 5’7), so on the super-wimpy waves where I had to work my way up to the nose to stay on them it was pretty tricky not have have an embarrassing and painful fall by having a foot slide forwards over the nose.

Glad I surfed anyway (as always) - was more fun than I thought it was going to be when I got up, and more than when I parked my car and first looked at it. Grabbed my little board out and paddled out without over-thinking it and it paid off just fine.

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Yep; you always have to pull in, don’t you, even when it is micro :)

Not enough wave to do much with a lot of them but it was fun enough to take off and get a bit of a run on them - good practice trying to stay in the sweet spot of the board and the waves.

I don’t wax the front 18” or so of the board at all (really, when do you ever go up there on a 5’7), so on the super-wimpy waves where I had to work my way up to the nose to stay on them it was pretty tricky not have have an embarrassing and painful fall by having a foot slide forwards over the nose.

Glad I surfed anyway (as always) - was more fun than I thought it was going to be when I got up, and more than when I parked my car and first looked at it. Grabbed my little board out and paddled out without over-thinking it and it paid off just fine.
Wax to the nose Ted and get into air spinners. LOL

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
P.S. do get a hard on watching Mason Ho surf boards with more length.......actually any length, total breath of fresh air.
Ha ha watched last night as well. Yep good clip but the Velzyland one was pretty sick to.

I watched Jacob Wilcox's 15 minute short film last night as well - heavy!!

Edit, I reckon Jacob's is worthy of a link.

Reactions: Peli89

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Well I've had a pretty good run of waves...
Our mini 'lockdown' ended just before lunch Friday which happened to coincide with an incoming tide and a fun 2' pulse of swell. I surfed the bowl for quite a while, followed by the rivermouth on the longboard in the arvo. Saturday I managed an hour or so out at the reef on the longboard as well which was good fun.
Sunday, i headed South to Parsons and put in a couple of hours out there - it was very small, but wedging into these fun little right and left handers. Super fun on the twinnie.

My biggest predicament for this week is do I surf the mid Thursday in between work meetings, or do i take the day off and shoot for Yorkes for the day - looking very very fun with some good size and offshore winds.

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Our mini 'lockdown' ended just before lunch Friday which happened to coincide with an incoming tide and a fun 2' pulse of swell. I surfed the bowl for quite a while, followed by the rivermouth on the longboard in the arvo. Saturday I managed an hour or so out at the reef on the longboard as well which was good fun.
Sunday, i headed South to Parsons and put in a couple of hours out there - it was very small, but wedging into these fun little right and left handers. Super fun on the twinnie.

My biggest predicament for this week is do I surf the mid Thursday in between work meetings, or do i take the day off and shoot for Yorkes for the day - looking very very fun with some good size and offshore winds.
How good! And, ooh tough decisions!

Reactions: Zimbooo and Peli89

PiedPiper

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne Vic
On a similar tip,
One for the Mornington peninsula experts,

Do I surf tomorrow @ Flinders ( gunnery), 3ft swell + light offshores
Or Friday @ Atlas / Pines (4ft @ flinder, 6ft+ at open beaches, + nor east east winds)

Billy Jack

One of Us
Jul 6, 2016
Heads-up from RealSurf website (which I only just saw):

Surfrider Foundation Northern Beaches received the following alert from Sydney Water this morning:

Partially treated discharge at Warriewood at 0400am 26/10/2020. Flows receiving wet weather treatment.
And yet our Bega Valley Shire Council is still proceeding with plans to build a new $30 million deep ocean outfall at Merimbula. Good luck to our oyster farmers at al.

prcoy

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2010
Point Leo, Australia
On a similar tip,

Or Friday @ Atlas / Pines (4ft @ flinder, 6ft+ at open beaches, + nor east east winds)

This one is a tough call.
With only 1 to choose from I think I would go for Friday, mainly because it has a few more options.

malas1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 1, 2015

So Seaford v Salmon hole?? Tough choice

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
So fun this morning. 2ft with the odd bigger one and oily smooth. Bit lully and shifty so probably could've surfed for 2 hours instead of 1.
Also tested my new Nixon, glad I only paid $125 for the colour no one wanted, only gives tide in imperial. Oh well it's a solid watch and I dropped my 10+ year old rip curl tide watch on the floor so we'll see what they come back with.
IMG_20201125_070352_3.jpg IMG_20201125_082801_2.jpg

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
So fun this morning. 2ft with the odd bigger one and oily smooth. Bit lully and shifty so probably could've surfed for 2 hours instead of 1.
Also tested my new Nixon, glad I only paid $125 for the colour no one wanted, only gives tide in imperial. Oh well it's a solid watch and I dropped my 10+ year old rip curl tide watch on the floor so we'll see what they come back with.
IMG_20201125_070352_3.jpg IMG_20201125_082801_2.jpg
That looks fun as!

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
On a similar tip,

Plenty of low pressure systems lining up in the Southern Ocean.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass