The Surf Thread

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I surfed the bowl last night - The wind swung offshore at about 6pm, leaving fun little 1 - 1.5' runners... There was only the 4 of us out so plenty to go around.. I probably caught 15 waves before i popped a fin out... I had changed fin sets over and mustn't have screwed them in enough....Very annoying end to a good surf.

It still looks kinda enticing out there at the moment... perhaps a lunch time splash..

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
It still looks kinda enticing out there at the moment... perhaps a lunch time splash..
I didn’t surf this morning. My wife got called in to work on short notice yesterday evening (midwife - they are getting smashed with lockdown babies!) and didn’t get home until way after midnight, so I didn’t think it was politic to get up and clomp around the house getting ready for an early (plus it rained significantly overnight and the water is likely a bit on the manky side). I think the hospital needs her to work this evening until silly-o-clock too, so likely I won’t surf tomorrow either and bank some more brownie points.

Will have to hit it extra hard on Friday and over the weekend to make up for it :)

PiedPiper

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne Vic
Any thoughts on what bells will be like on this saturday?
I'm sort of hoping for some waist / chest high waves, on the high tide, close to shore/rincon think it might be likely?

I'm really hoping to get it small and managable, i've had enough scary 6-8 foot sessions fearing for my life trying to get wave sin the bowl

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Any thoughts on what bells will be like on this saturday?
I'm sort of hoping for some waist / chest high waves, on the high tide, close to shore/rincon think it might be likely?

I'm really hoping to get it small and managable, i've had enough scary 6-8 foot sessions fearing for my life trying to get wave sin the bowl
Yeah small but winds won't be great, it'll be bumpy. You'd be better off at Jan Juc, Fairhaven or 13th Beach.

Reactions: Belly

dayzoff

One of Us
May 25, 2012
Canberra
I scored this spot last Friday and Monday just gone. The sand bank is in very good shape! Surfed 5 days straight and got home Tue arvo pretty spent. Even managed to SUP the Husky spit on Sunday morning on some very nice little peaks which were quite impressive considering it was only a straight 2 metre East swell.
53161B8B-B98E-47F0-8A74-C50A7147B849.jpeg

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
I scored this spot last Friday and Monday just gone. The sand bank is in very good shape! Surfed 5 days straight and got home Tue arvo pretty spent. Even managed to SUP the Husky spit on Sunday morning on some very nice little peaks which were quite impressive considering it was only a straight 2 metre East swell.
53161B8B-B98E-47F0-8A74-C50A7147B849.jpeg
Love that spot, funnest wave!

Reactions: Zimbooo and dayzoff

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Got out for a brief late session. NE facing beach but still nudging 3ft, pleasant surprise!! Tested the 6'6" as a quad, only got one good sizey one but it felt great on a nice bit of steep'ish open face. Happy with the early taste of the Future F8 symmetrical quad rears. Although on my so so smaller waves felt like the board bogged a little when pushing around white water. Have generally found quads feel great on the face when pumping but thruster more reliable in variable conditions. On more standard template boards anyway.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Unsurprising given when/where they have been lately, especially around the northern beaches it seems. On this note, and I completely forgot in my previous post on Sunday, on Sunday morning there was a totally unmarked mobile speed camera in Avalon (no roof lights, shiny tape, anything, just a plain white SUV again), in the middle of a row of parked cars - so the camera would have been shooting out over the bonnet of the parked car directly behind it - getting northbound cars just near the turnoff to Stokes Point (ie 200m before the North Av turnoff) at 5:45am!

Would have been doing a roaring trade in bookings with people driving from the south in to North Av, Whaley or the NBSS for an early (and there's a fair few on a weekend morning) and quite inadvertently doing a bit over 60km/h. You absolutely couldn't see the thing until you were right next to it, and even then only if you peered in and got lucky to see the black camera/radar stuff inside the back of it.

I haven't surfed during the week this week - today looks like it might have been ok at the NBSS down near the toilet block and coffee shop - but I'll be in the water early tomorrow, almost regardless of the conditions.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Starting to give too much away; Pine trees in the distance, NE facing and mentioning a section of highway.........lol.

I would honestly have no idea where that is, not that I know that area down that way well but I believe he's using the SCSS as his south coast secret spot not a section of highway

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
I would honestly have no idea where that is, not that I know that area down that way well but I believe he's using the SCSS as his south coast secret spot not a section of highway
I've posted where I live, recent drives etc.
It's all good, it's pretty quiet down here and this is a quiet blog, but I can stop posting pics if that's the sentiment.

Reactions: Paperboy

dayzoff

One of Us
May 25, 2012
Canberra
I'm not really sure how I should take the "lol" but it's up to you what you post as it is with me.
Just laughing at myself that its taken me a fair while to work out the spot. Dont stop posting photos, theyre great. Yes it is a fairly quiet blog and I was just being a bit cryptic with my words hinting that i finally think i know the spot. No offence intended.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Just laughing at myself that its taken me a fair while to work out the spot. Dont stop posting photos, theyre great. Yes it is a fairly quiet blog and I was just being a bit cryptic with my words hinting that i finally think i know the spot. No offence intended.
All good mate cheers. I was probably reading a bit too much into it, you had commented on SPB#2 also a while back, that one was fair enough in hindsight. That pretty much is secret. Should have cropped. And comment noted above as well.
Want to keep it frothy in here, bit like the olden BC thread days before they got political (/ BC got popular) ha ha.
I also kind of figure I have skin-in-the-game now I live up the road versus the balance of sharing a bit of joy. I need to watch the balance for sure.

dayzoff

One of Us
May 25, 2012
Canberra
All good mate cheers. I was probably reading a bit too much into it, you had commented on SPB#2 also a while back, that one was fair enough in hindsight. That pretty much is secret. Should have cropped. And comment noted above as well.
Want to keep it frothy in here, bit like the olden BC thread days before they got political (/ BC got popular) ha ha.
I also kind of figure I have skin-in-the-game now I live up the road versus the balance of sharing a bit of joy. I need to watch the balance for sure.
All good, there’s probably only 3 others with enough time on their hands to have put all the pieces of the puzzle together. Then you have to have enough time to be there at the right time. It’s not exactly a day trip location from the big smoke, that’s the beauty of it.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
It’s not exactly a day trip location from the big smoke
Mate, _Perisher_ is a day trip location from the big smoke - anywhere closer than that is fair game ;)

The NBSS wasn’t bad this morning; I paddled out as early as I reasonably could (about 6:15) - only one regular on his ski was in the water ahead of me, and since he doesn’t dangle his legs in the water it wasn’t a good indicator as to whether there were any noahs around. It was pretty dark though!

Anyway I got about 15 quite good 2’-ish waves in about 75 minutes. Rather too many people turned up through the session, many of whom were (umm, how to put this politely) still working on their skills and etiquette. I got out when the randoms-running-into-people-I-know factor got too high, as did most of the other usual Friday early crew. Nice morning and a bit of an autumn vibe in the air. There looked to be some rather good options at both the north and south ends of (my preferred and obviously secret coffee venue beach) too when I looked about 8am.

Reckon I had better surf tomorrow (and Sunday) - those waves won’t surf themselves! Likely I’ll have to be getting wet before sunrise to get any uncrowded ones though.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
I reckon Ted the Ulladulla zone is the ring for regular Sydney day trip or 2-day weeekend visitors. Sure there is a few that push beyond this but pushing the surf / drive time trade-off. Always exceptions. Have bumped into old mate from Narrabeen a few times who likes to frequent the south of Batemans zone.
Even for Canberra folk, the more you extend north/south from the immediate coast touch points, Nowra, Batemans and Bega, the more driving they need to do.
This analysis / thinking was a factor in deciding where we would settle (so I had better not wreck it with my pics ha ha).

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
I reckon Ted the Ulladulla zone is the ring for regular Sydney day trip or 2-day weeekend visitors. Sure there is a few that push beyond this but pushing the surf / drive time trade-off.
Just wait until I get my Tesla: not paying for petrol (or needing to do a million gear changes to coax my rather “mellow” horsepower Subaru XV up/down hills) is going to expand my surfing day trip limits _significantly_ (evil laugh).

One man surf invasion coming your way Real Soon Now!

Reactions: Paperboy and Belly

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Just wait until I get my Tesla: not paying for petrol (or needing to do a million gear changes to coax my rather “mellow” horsepower Subaru XV up/down hills) is going to expand my surfing day trip limits _significantly_ (evil laugh).

One man surf invasion coming your way Real Soon Now!
Would always be happy to show you around Ted!

As for the Tesla, yep seen that thread. Like to think I'm reasonably progressive but equally have dreamed of replacing the Everest with a F150 as I crawl towards retirement (across the next 10+ years!) :)
Edit; I suspect my Everest crawls up the hills like your XV ;) - hoping to give the Brown Mtn a few passes this winter.

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Reactions: FourSquare04

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
I reckon Ted the Ulladulla zone is the ring for regular Sydney day trip or 2-day weeekend visitors. .

Bingo. When I had the house at Narra (around the corner from nfip's), it was purchased as it made weekends from Sydney pleasantly doable. 2.5 hours door to door. Leave after dinner on Friday night, get there around 11 pm. Pack up late Sunday afternoon and have dinner on the way home at Kiama. In bed by 10pm Sunday night.

Last edited:

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
I see in the news this morning that Sydney con woman's foot has washed up near Tathra....crazy. Wonder if she jumped the Gap at Watson's or if she was taken down that way and murdered.....

@Belly careful in the water down your way mate!

https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...s/news-story/e7517f47887f2bba2dd063441fc59842

Plenty of good jumping spots just around the corner from where she lived. I lived near The Gap for 15 years and coming back from an early morning job had the misfortune to see someone take a run and jump up near the Macquarie Lighthouse.

Reactions: FourSquare04

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
@SAsurfa is there really much sand at Crescent? - I've seen changing faces from maybe halfway through the boulder section through to the beach so acknowledge there. But the take-off to boulders is all reef isn't it?

It took me a while to learn that the infamous wave I grew up with at Portland was actually sand (more reef on the inside), but calling outside Crescent sand dependent would be like calling Winki Pop sand dependent imo..

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
@SAsurfa is there really much sand at Crescent? - I've seen changing faces from maybe halfway through the boulder section through to the beach so acknowledge there. But the take-off to boulders is all reef isn't it?

It took me a while to learn that the infamous wave I grew up with at Portland was actually sand (more reef on the inside), but calling outside Crescent sand dependent would be like calling Winki Pop sand dependent imo..

Oh it def is, the amount I've also seen it change since the Black nor-easter is insane. Kinda hasn't been good out of the surge rock through there until probably the last 12 months I reckon. Racetrack seemed to be better.

Last year you could walk the sand from the boulders and come straight in at the cars, not currently though!

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Quite a good early at the Northern Beaches Secret Spot today - I was in the water in the dark about 6:15. Got a dozen or so in front of the toilet block, of which 4-5 were really good (and ~100m) rides, only 2-3' mostly but a lot less busy than I had yesterday morning down at Kiddies' Corner - which was too small for me today but two of my friends surfed down there and they reliably informed me that they were on fire there! It got a bit full, the onshore turned up a couple of notches, and it got darker and darker so I went in after about 90 minutes. Couple of cleanup sets early on in the session with quit some oomph; couple of us got caught inside a few times and a teenage girl (regular surfer there, pretty good) on a mini-mal ditched it right next to me, had the wave suck back and slam it and snapped her board clean in two :(

No sharks... but it was pretty dark and sharky the whole session to the extent that I had my headlights on when driving around to (an almost neighbouring beach with excellent food-truck-coffee) - which looked to have some nice waves available at the south end too.

Drewboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 21, 2012
Sydney /Kiama
Urban Surf
3 days and 2 sessions per day starting with intermediate right and left and moving up to advanced right and left then back to intermediate lefts(because I prefer backhand)
Intermediate sessions are great to work on turns.First half are mellow then get more advanced for second 30 minutes.Just to explain there are 12 waves per cycle with a 4 minute time out and 5 seconds between waves so the pool can settle.Normally there are16 people in a session but we did see 20 in a right session.In the advance session the first 30 minutes you will get 3 bottom turns and off the lips but the last 30 minutes it’s take off and go for the barrel.
To be honest I loved it the waves are predictable and you can work on turns and the vibe in the line up is very relaxed and everyone was very chatty and happy.
The water temperature was 17 - 18 so short arm steamer was fine,but a early 800 start on Wednesday with air temp at 10c was on the limit.
A few impressions from the week.
Saw a few boards destroyed when impacting the wall
People overestimate there ability and struggle on the takeoff and impact the wall
Best wave count was 17 in one sesssion
The first 6 waves are the best
There is a lot of water moving in the pool you do get fatigued so space the sessions at least 2 hours apart
If you are coming from interstate I would recommend the Climos airport lodge directly across the road.
06BE04FB-DCAC-4E4B-B639-21DA014F4214.jpeg
9173AE53-7F4D-4257-9BBC-E35DFBE6BF71.jpeg
29148029-F2AD-49A2-8D9D-563C85E91D88.jpeg
68B04608-6A20-42A8-ADE0-7496415720CD.jpeg
AFE2DA85-45BE-4D34-9BF4-144DFCFA3C63.jpeg
ED4DEF74-64AE-4BE5-9A75-C17857C32EB7.jpeg
8103882F-E61B-47C8-92EE-0A8202F202CD.jpeg
5421560E-FA4E-44A4-9813-C86BE530E792.jpeg
05F130D1-CFEE-4D37-A153-E3BAF636F053.jpeg
A974BFDF-B8B5-4AC4-8E06-A43AA3A64CD0.jpeg
7A0A65FF-C4B2-4A3F-9A35-F6E605BB15AF.jpeg
06BE04FB-DCAC-4E4B-B639-21DA014F4214.jpeg
9173AE53-7F4D-4257-9BBC-E35DFBE6BF71.jpeg
29148029-F2AD-49A2-8D9D-563C85E91D88.jpeg
68B04608-6A20-42A8-ADE0-7496415720CD.jpeg
AFE2DA85-45BE-4D34-9BF4-144DFCFA3C63.jpeg
ED4DEF74-64AE-4BE5-9A75-C17857C32EB7.jpeg
8103882F-E61B-47C8-92EE-0A8202F202CD.jpeg
5421560E-FA4E-44A4-9813-C86BE530E792.jpeg
05F130D1-CFEE-4D37-A153-E3BAF636F053.jpeg
A974BFDF-B8B5-4AC4-8E06-A43AA3A64CD0.jpeg
7A0A65FF-C4B2-4A3F-9A35-F6E605BB15AF.jpeg

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Been surfing a fair bit recently. Bout 2-3 times per week alternating between Warriewood and North Narra.

Havent posted here in a while - life’s been pretty hectic recently.

Plus there’s not been anything exciting really to report on.

With that said, North Narra on Monday morning was epic. 2-4ft, offshore.

But that also meant every man and his dog was out. Drop in city.

Lost count of how many people got dropped in on.

Even I got hit twice.

I mean seriously, we’re all out there for the same reasons and to have fun. And I’m the last person to say something because frankly I don’t care. But for gods sake there’s a mutual respect that if someone’s already on it, stay off it!

Let’s see what tomorrow morning brings...

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Been surfing a fair bit recently. Bout 2-3 times per week alternating between Warriewood and North Narra.

Havent posted here in a while - life’s been pretty hectic recently.

Plus there’s not been anything exciting really to report on.

With that said, North Narra on Monday morning was epic. 2-4ft, offshore.

But that also meant every man and his dog was out. Drop in city.

Lost count of how many people got dropped in on.

Even I got hit twice.

I mean seriously, we’re all out there for the same reasons and to have fun. And I’m the last person to say something because frankly I don’t care. But for gods sake there’s a mutual respect that if someone’s already on it, stay off it!

Let’s see what tomorrow morning brings...
Heard from an old mate there was a bull shark in the line up at NN over the last few days.........
Perfect PR for WSL. LOL

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
The NBSS was pretty small this morning. I was going to surf the same bank as yesterday but (1) the rip and current to the south was running really strongly and I really didn’t feel like paddling against it all session again, and (2) as I was getting ready (at about 6:20) a group of about 5 randoms walked down the beach and paddled out right there.
So I surfed 200m up the beach and had a fairly average bank more or less to myself. It largely stopped breaking by 7:45 or so but that was enough for me.

I watched a bit of the contest at Maroubra on YouTube when I got home and it was very small and full and short rides - felt a bit sorry for the competitors on finals day but the standard of surfing was really good given the conditions. BTW I think the next contest on that circuit is at Avoca.

Reactions: Dave6 and Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
The NBSS was pretty small this morning. I was going to surf the same bank as yesterday but (1) the rip and current to the south was running really strongly and I really didn’t feel like paddling against it all session again, and (2) as I was getting ready (at about 6:20) a group of about 5 randoms walked down the beach and paddled out right there.
So I surfed 200m up the beach and had a fairly average bank more or less to myself. It largely stopped breaking by 7:45 or so but that was enough for me.

I watched a bit of the contest at Maroubra on YouTube when I got home and it was very small and full and short rides - felt a bit sorry for the competitors on finals day but the standard of surfing was really good given the conditions. BTW I think the next contest on that circuit is at Avoca.
Yeah I saw none of the contest. I saw they’d finished it - that’s when I picked the Bra surf. They’d long gone by the time I got there.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Smaller again - the bomb sets would have been 2' - but a nice morning at the NBSS. A handful of the usual suspects got in the water in front of the south end toilet block as soon as it was more-or-less light enough to do so, plus 1/2 hour later a giggle (I'm assuming that is the right collective term - certainly sounded like it) of tween girls (seemingly about a million of them) who mainly happily bobbed around on the inside and we all avoided them ok. I didn't look at the north end, other than a quick glance as I went past bend-in-the-road showed it was a Summer Bay kind of day around the north end SLSC

I don't know whether I'll surf tomorrow; have done ok the last 4 mornings and I'm trying not to over-do it especially when it isn't likely to be all that nice if the predicted southerly does its thing. Banking some brownie points is part of the plan too, as we will soon be into the almost-always-pretty-good period for surfing around Easter :)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass