The Surf Thread

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Westernport.
_SAM0001.JPG
An incoming tide, SW swell but not quite pumping enough for WP, and an off shore breeze tending towards cross shore at times.
I went for a paddle but being school holidays with no option for people to travel very far interstate or abroad , esp . on a sunny day , most of Melbourne also went for a paddle.
The water became too crowded for my liking. I saw 20 people at each usual point or reef break in the area by 12 noon . I did not catch many waves either.
I usually catch plenty but at least my duck diving with an 8 ft . board is improving .

The surf was not great but did improve closer to high tide at Crunchy Point after I got out. After two hours in 14 degrees Celsius water I was becoming numb in the hands and feet even though I did have 3mm booties and 1. 5 mm neoprene gloves on.
I think my old 3/2 steamer wetsuit might need replacing by the end of this year. The elbows are becoming very thin and threadbare. I am looking at obtaining a new 3/2 steamer made by Need Essentials.
The photo shows the Point break at low tide at around 10 am before I surfed.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
More photos from Westernport 28.6.21.
That water is COLD :-0 . I should also buy a 4/3 Steamer wet suit and 6 mm booties if I am going to keep doing this in winter.
_SAM0002.JPG
_SAM0002.JPG
_SAM0003.JPG
_SAM0004.JPG
_SAM0005.JPG
_SAM0006.JPG
_SAM0007.JPG
_SAM0009.JPG

The above photo shows the Point break near High Tide. It seemed to improve and gain in size and power. There were plenty of drop ins , what with school holidays and all. I might be
Kook of the week for life
but I leave waves to others if they have already paddled and popped up on the wave. It is not difficult to follow to the etiquette.

_SAM0008.JPG

I saw a "Hydro Foil" rider at 2nd Reef. He was quite a stand out attraction.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
28.6.21 Westernport. The forecast yesterday said Flinders would be good for surfing but at 2 hours after low tide The Gunnery at West Head
_SAM0011.JPG
_SAM0012.JPG
_SAM0013.JPG
_SAM0014.JPG
_SAM0015.JPG
_SAM0016.JPG
_SAM0017.JPG
_SAM0018.JPG
would not have had enough water over the reef to make it worth the trouble.
Another surfer said he saw a shark at Big Left which spooked him.
The surf was clean with good lines of small swell coming into the Point break . I should have waited and surfed at that break. I have surfed it successfully in the past but the rocks can be an issue.
I much prefer these places when there are only 3 or 4 board riders in the line up rather than 15-20 !.I do sleep very well at night after 2 hours of paddling in COLD winter surf at W.P.

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
28.6.21 Westernport. The forecast yesterday said Flinders would be good for surfing but at 2 hours after low tide The Gunnery at West Head
_SAM0011.JPG
_SAM0012.JPG
_SAM0013.JPG
_SAM0014.JPG
_SAM0015.JPG
_SAM0016.JPG
_SAM0017.JPG
_SAM0018.JPG
would not have had enough water over the reef to make it worth the trouble.
Another surfer said he saw a shark at Big Left which spooked him.
The surf was clean with good lines of small swell coming into the Point break . I should have waited and surfed at that break. I have surfed it successfully in the past but the rocks can be an issue.
I much prefer these places when there are only 3 or 4 board riders in the line up rather than 15-20 !.I do sleep very well at night after 2 hours of paddling in COLD winter surf at W.P.
Some nice looking waves among that lot. I dream of days like that with so few surfers in the water.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Some nice looking waves among that lot. I dream of days like that with so few surfers in the water.
You should have seen 2nd Reef. There were more board riders than waves :-0. I quit at that point plus I was COLD and could hardly do much more time in the brine as my muscles were becoming sluggish .

Reactions: Dave6 and Paperboy

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Westernport.
_SAM0001.JPG
An incoming tide, SW swell but not quite pumping enough for WP, and an off shore breeze tending towards cross shore at times.
I went for a paddle but being school holidays with no option for people to travel very far interstate or abroad , esp . on a sunny day , most of Melbourne also went for a paddle.
The water became too crowded for my liking. I saw 20 people at each usual point or reef break in the area by 12 noon . I did not catch many waves either.
I usually catch plenty but at least my duck diving with an 8 ft . board is improving .

The surf was not great but did improve closer to high tide at Crunchy Point after I got out. After two hours in 14 degrees Celsius water I was becoming numb in the hands and feet even though I did have 3mm booties and 1. 5 mm neoprene gloves on.
I think my old 3/2 steamer wetsuit might need replacing by the end of this year. The elbows are becoming very thin and threadbare. I am looking at obtaining a new 3/2 steamer made by Need Essentials.
The photo shows the Point break at low tide at around 10 am before I surfed.
Swell too south for WP, loves a bit of W-SW, that swell for Monday was SSW so doesn't get into the Peninsula and further east as well.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Swell too south for WP, loves a bit of W-SW, that swell for Monday was SSW so doesn't get into the Peninsula and further east as well.
Yes, it lacked power and paddling for so many waves that didn't follow through and wrap around became frustrating. It was surf-able closer to high tide but that is when the hordes appeared.
Good surfers can catch any wave using any board. I am not in that category.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Sat. looks better for a paddle with off shore winds , growing SW swell but a lot of people are stuck in Victoria looking for a wave or some kind of fun outside of Melbourne. People like me ! . Sometimes when the tide is going out it can work at mid ebb tide at some places in W.P..

Reactions: prcoy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Had a cracking surf Sunday Morning. I headed down to the point and took out the twinnie. A bit more size than I was expecting but I got some cracking waves. Size-wise - 3 - 4'. Zero winds. Sunshine. Winter surfing at it's best! (for the point) :)

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Yep, need a lot of W in the swell and a long period for WPB to really get going. Then there is the tides

Doesn't happen all that often, but when it does it can be really really fun.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
^^was sick no doubt but footage only from 2 different waves(?) - covid I guess

The 4pm Batemans buoy obs has the period and some size, thought it was looking a bit unders earlier.

Reactions: nfip

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Haven’t been in the water since last Friday (which was epic fun) and my lunchtime reports unfortunately will now likely cease as I have taken a new job at The Steel works here. Needless to say, it is absolutely next level on many levels! Back to weekend warrior status for a while by the looks

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Haven’t been in the water since last Friday (which was epic fun) and my lunchtime reports unfortunately will now likely cease as I have taken a new job at The Steel works here. Needless to say, it is absolutely next level on many levels! Back to weekend warrior status for a while by the looks
Congrats mate.
I too have similiar opportunity, close to my new home make$ it a no brainer really.
Big days coming up again.
Sucking it up for the last leg " ish" .
Tho may end up down South again, will see what they offer me.

W0nkey D0nkey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 5, 2017
Wollongong
Nice, I work in there too
What shit hole that place is

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I woke up and raced out for an early morning surf. The wave bouy had jumped up considerably overnight and the tides were almost co-operating.

I got in the water by about 7.15 which was right on high tide. There was only 5 of us out and plenty of 1-2' waves coming through. Glassy conditions and probably about 8 degrees. As the tide started to drain the consistency dropped out. Super fun not having to fight the crowds... As i drove home, i went past the bowl and saw about 20 people on it, and the northerly was starting to get into it... I suspect the best of it is now behind me for today.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Watched it yesterday.
Such a great young surfer.
I love watching positioning and the understanding of wave shape, foam ball etc., etc.
He was born to do what he does.
Excellent!

And a really humble guy. Was lucky enough to have dinner with Russell and family when in Myoko with @nfip a couple of years ago.

W0nkey D0nkey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 5, 2017
Wollongong
Hey Wonky, Josh Price (ex Chats), has a new band called"Pricey".
Believe new music on JJJ soon.
I have not heard any tunes yet.
And surf was.......
Ankle snappers on the points, bit bigger further south on the opens closer to Coolum.......noth'n to rave about.
I heard a snippet, got a similar guitar tone to the Chats album, hopefully he does something a bit different. Cool looking band though

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
I think I hurt a few ppl over in that Perisher thread. Probably shouldn't have said it.. tho I wish they'd stop talking about VMs.
LOL.
I saw that.
Just gotta ignore it , and a lot of other stuff posted or you'll go nuts.
I've pressed the ignore button on 2 or 3 or 4 peeps here ..... and a couple of real good friends on facey too !
We all have different priorities and different triggers to pull.
fcuk I've even some folk try ski powder without poles.!!!

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Yeah saw some of those VM posts, catching lifts, whatevs, if it gives people a point of joy then good on em.
I didn't reply in that forum, I just don't need the aggravation right now, but FWIW (among friends in here) I really only keep an eye on the number of lift rides I have over the course of a season, and then only really to amortise in my mind what I spend on skiing. So last year I managed to get in 401 lift rides (on lifts that had a gate thing) in 8 days skiing, and everyone else in my family cancelled their passes, so let's say the season pass cost me about $2/run and $100/day. Year before about 800 counted lift rides in 19 days so about $1/run and $40/day for me (or multiply by 4 because I buy everyone's season pass). Beyond that I don't really care, but for the people who are into VMs good on them, whatever gets you out on the hill on all the good+bad days. This season looks like I am going to be skiing vicariously through them (rather than being able to get much more skiing in, other than my ONE day so far), so the more they ski and the more photos they post I guess I can enjoy it through that.

Anyway, enough of that stuff, onto surfing...

Surfed yesterday, was better than it looked, got a dozen pretty good ones anywhere in the 2-4' range (the little ones were actually the better waves as they were doing that weird thing where they grew as they ran down the bank towards the beach). Today wasn't as good, didn't get as many waves, water was warmer though. Early both days was helped by it being mainly usual suspects only. A lot of "lockdown only surfers" (either they don't surf at all outside of lockdowns, or at least they are from somewhere else and only hit the NBSS when there is a lockdown) got in the water by 7:30, plus various beginners and kids on holidays. Got a bit manic both days, more so today.

I'd have surfed a bit longer both days but my best surfing friend saw her Physio earlier this week (her rotator cuff has been stuffed to varying degrees for 5-6 years, she was supposed to have an operation on it a couple of years ago but pulled out when they couldn't guarantee it would really be fixed and she'd be out of the water for up to 6 months). She showed the Physio how she gets out of her steamer (she wears a chest-zip 4/3 in winter, but wears a steamer all year round) and was told the action is exactly why you have screwed your rotator cuff, and got shown how to take it off without causing (further) damage - but this requires someone to help her get her arms out. After doing that for her both days I wasn't frothing enough to bother paddling out again.

Might have a paddle tomorrow, but unsure for next week. Looks like there will be waves right through, but the NBSS is very much in "Christmas holidays" mode in the water, even pretty early, so I'm not going to commit to too much.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
I didn't reply in that forum, I just don't need the aggravation right now, but FWIW (among friends in here) I really only keep an eye on the number of lift rides I have over the course of a season, and then only really to amortise in my mind what I spend on skiing. So last year I managed to get in 401 lift rides (on lifts that had a gate thing) in 8 days skiing, and everyone else in my family cancelled their passes, so let's say the season pass cost me about $2/run and $100/day. Year before about 800 counted lift rides in 19 days so about $1/run and $40/day for me (or multiply by 4 because I buy everyone's season pass). Beyond that I don't really care, but for the people who are into VMs good on them, whatever gets you out on the hill on all the good+bad days. This season looks like I am going to be skiing vicariously through them (rather than being able to get much more skiing in, other than my ONE day so far), so the more they ski and the more photos they post I guess I can enjoy it through that.

Surfed yesterday, was better than it looked, got a dozen pretty good ones anywhere in the 2-4' range (the little ones were actually the better waves as they were doing that weird thing where they grew as they ran down the bank towards the beach). Today wasn't as good, didn't get as many waves, water was warmer though. Early both days was helped by it being mainly usual suspects only. A lot of "lockdown only surfers" (either they don't surf at all outside of lockdowns, or at least they are from somewhere else and only hit the NBSS when there is a lockdown) got in the water by 7:30, plus various beginners and kids on holidays. Got a bit manic both days, more so today.

I'd have surfed a bit longer both days but my best surfing friend saw her Physio earlier this week (her rotator cuff has been stuffed to varying degrees for 5-6 years, she was supposed to have an operation on it a couple of years ago but pulled out when they couldn't guarantee it would really be fixed and she'd be out of the water for up to 6 months). She showed the Physio how she gets out of her steamer (she wears a chest-zip 4/3 in winter, but wears a steamer all year round) and was told the action is exactly why you have screwed your rotator cuff, and got shown how to take it off without causing (further) damage - but this requires someone to help her get her arms out. After doing that for her both days I wasn't frothing enough to bother paddling out again.

Might have a paddle tomorrow, but unsure for next week. Looks like there will be waves right through, but the NBSS is very much in "Christmas holidays" mode in the water, even pretty early, so I'm not going to commit to too much.
Ha ha hear you on the $ break even, that's something I've done in the past with my resort buddies. Never had a season ticket but we always liked to get under $10/lift for our day tix.

Never tracked VM, backcountry or inbounds. Used to do big numbers, now do small numbers :)

Paperboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 3, 2016
Canberra/South Coast/East Jindabyne

I also can't get out of a chest zip steamer, so I've stuck to using a back zip wetsuit, alot easier to get off and on.

Reactions: Dave6 and Peli89

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
I also can't get out of a chest zip steamer, so I've stuck to using a back zip wetsuit, alot easier to get off and on
Strange as it might sound, I find a zip-free steamer easier than a chest-zip (RipCurl 3/2 in both cases). My theory is that because the zip-free suit doesn’t have the (un-stretchable) zipper and has one less layer of neoprene (and less stitching) in the front it is actually easier to stretch it to get in/out of.

Interestingly, and by chance, a random parked next to me this morning who needed a hand getting into his (back-zip) steamer. Was a Billabong one and it had a feature I haven’t seen before: over the back (attached to the suit below the bottom of the zipper) was a flap about 6” wide that covered the zipper and ended with a neck loop then finally closed off with a chest-zipper. Idea seemed to be so you get flushed less (I can’t stand getting flushed when duck-diving in a back-zip suit, so I haven’t owned one for many years) but at the expense of making it a more complex suit overall. Backstory on the suit was the guy has just moved over from WA and bought it (and a couple of other suits) from a garage sale that Taj Burrow had. I don’t know anything else about the suit, but maybe worth a look for someone after a back-zip but perhaps with more protection from being flushed than normal for those.

Reactions: Paperboy

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Interestingly, and by chance, a random parked next to me this morning who needed a hand getting into his (back-zip) steamer. Was a Billabong one and it had a feature I haven’t seen before: over the back (attached to the suit below the bottom of the zipper) was a flap about 6” wide that covered the zipper and ended with a neck loop then finally closed off with a chest-zipper.

Had this with old Billabong and current O'Neill (called a backwing or bat-wing). Trick is to keep a shoelace tied in a loop that you can hitch through the neck flap, can easily reach from waist and pull up and over head; untitch loop and zip up back. Much easier reversing the process. And for the life of me, I cannot get into a chest zip without an hour's worth of contortions, so no hope with a zipless.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Had this with old Billabong and current O'Neill (called a backwing or bat-wing)
Ok, I hadn’t looked at Billabong steamers for a long time (obviously (blush)). I and almost all my friends have RipCurl, one or two have Patagonia steamers. That backwing arrangement looked pretty complicated and annoying to me - I totally understand the flushing problem they are trying to solve but it seems to add a fair bit of “stuff” to the wetty, and clearly makes it trickier to get in/out of than a back-zip should be. I mean don’t people buy back-zip specifically for the easy in/out, so adding the anti-flushing workaround over the back-zip would seem to be compromising the whole selling premise for it.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@Sir Surfalot, the backwing isn't really difficult to use, just as you lose flexibility, you need to figure out a work around or always surf with friends. Have used a steamer with this arrangement for about 0 years and pretty quickly worked out the need to keep a looped bit of cord in the surf bag for getting the wetsuit on. And does work well at stopping water flushing down the back of your neck.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I had a Patagonia wetsuit with what I think is this backwing arrangement of which you speak. A well constructed wettie - much better quality in terms of craftsmanship than a rip curl or billabong etc. But it was bulky and relatively inflexible. I much preferred the Aussie mainstream brands.

I think chestzip wetties address the flushing issue pretty well.

After decades of preferring Rip Curl, I’m now using quicksilver. They fit around the same, but I much prefer the QS chest zip. That’s it.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Thanks for the extra information. My friend who has been told by her physio not to get out of her chest-zip the way she always has been is starting to consider a new wetty (she has two 4/3 chest-zip ones that are only about 18 months old though so she’s sticking with them in the near term), and a couple of others who have back-zip wetties have been taking about what to get next time.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
After decades of preferring Rip Curl, I’m now using quicksilver.
Agreed the fit is the same. I bought that Uber-expensive Quiksilver 1mm zip-free steamer last year sight-unseen and their Medium fit me just like my usual RipCurl medium ones did.

Unfortunately, and I can’t remember if I posted this before, the glued-only seams on the Quiksilver suit failed (in multiple places) twice. On the second return to them to fix they got back to me and said it was an unfixable manufacturing problem and they simply refunded all my money immediately without making a further attempt to fix it or asking me if I wanted them to keep trying.

I’d probably give the Quiksilver suits another go but probably not sight-unseen again, and certainly not that $1000 1mm steamer again. RipCurl (at North Narrabeen - Damian Hardman’s store) is a lot closer for me though, and I have generally had a good run with them, including where something has failed - in or out of warranty - and they have to fix it for me.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Had this with old Billabong and current O'Neill (called a backwing or bat-wing). Trick is to keep a shoelace tied in a loop that you can hitch through the neck flap, can easily reach from waist and pull up and over head; untitch loop and zip up back. Much easier reversing the process. And for the life of me, I cannot get into a chest zip without an hour's worth of contortions, so no hope with a zipless.
I remember when I first got a CZ I thought it was the stupidest idea ever. Over time I Just got used to it, and think nothing of it now.

Zip free though - that’s a bridge too far. That truly does need contortions. Pretty much every time I needed to call on an innocent stranger to help me out.

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Footy Jumper………the best tech is only necessary in very cold climates IMO.
Back zips still work fine for most punters here on the East Coast.
Want to look at surfing vids from the years when backzips only existed?
We/they did just fine.
Buy more, update, look like a pro, hang onto what still works, personal preference.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
I don’t get the trouble with getting in and out of wetsuits, its a piece of piss and I dislike wearing them to point I’ll go cold to not wear one or surf in the thinnest lightest one possible for the conditions

edit: currently have:
2/2 zipperless spring suit
2/2 long sleeve chest zip spring suit
3/2 chest zip steamer
Do you have more wetsuits than boards?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass