The Surf Thread

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Gallery from the pumping east swell.. https://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-dispatch/2021/07/06/gallery-christmas-in-july

Coupla teasers for ya..

1625534594264.png

1625534614578.png

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
JFC. Is that from yesterday?
Yup.
This from Courier Mail:
A well-known Coast surfer’s family has praised the efforts of bystanders, including holidaying doctors, after their son was bitten by a 3m great white.

And this from the ever-reliable News.com.au... haha
"When we came down to the beach there were two surfers in the water, there were doctors and they tourniquet his arm already to stop the bleeding," a witness said.
Mr Hoffman was treated for an arm injury at the scene and airlifted to John Hunter Hospital in Newcastle in a serious but stable condition.
"Much praise must be given to bystanders who helped the man from the water and provided that crucial initial first aid," NSW Ambulance Inspector Andrew Beverley said.
"It was a significant bite and the man suffered serious injuries to his arm as a result.

"NSW DPI shark scientists have analysed photographs of the bite and determined a white shark of approximately three metres in length is likely responsible for the bite."

Reactions: Dave6
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Hope young mate comes through without long lasting effects!!

Day 2, ended up back at a soft though lully and pulsing 2ft river mouth. Sand ripped out from SPB#2. Probably should've headed closer to home but family logistics stuff. Anyway still had heaps of fun, 3 leg burners, 2 shorts, 2 no makes and no drop ins ha ha.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Coming off the east coast wave fest and now on way to secret spot this week with 3 ex world champions, another local lad who grew up surfing with them and was on tour for a bit and Thor. This should be fun.

Flick the switch and the plunger creates the waves. I love my job. I had to hold myself back and only taking three boards, not five as I originally planned.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Coming off the east coast wave fest and now on way to secret spot this week with 3 ex world champions, another local lad who grew up surfing with them and was on tour for a bit and Thor. This should be fun.

Flick the switch and the plunger creates the waves. I love my job. I had to hold myself back and only taking three boards, not five as I originally planned.

Heading out to surf lakes eh!

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
@Craig B went out at Southy today with a mate of mine. 4-5ft bombs coming through on occasion (otherwise 3-4ft). Never seen such heavy, sucky barrels on those banks. Lots of fun, although got slammed on a few, wouldn't be surprised if there were a few broken boards out there today...

Also bumped into a good mate of mine (Matty Dunbar). Seen a few of his photos pop up on SwellNet a few times.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
@Craig B went out at Southy today with a mate of mine. 4-5ft bombs coming through on occasion (otherwise 3-4ft). Never seen such heavy, sucky barrels on those banks. Lots of fun, although got slammed on a few, wouldn't be surprised if there were a few broken boards out there today...

Also bumped into a good mate of mine (Matty Dunbar). Seen a few of his photos pop up on SwellNet a few times.
His Narra session yesterday looked all time (and exhausting).

Reactions: FourSquare04

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
2-3 foot at Bondi. Banks kind of sucked when I was there, but got a handful of ok ones.
Similar at the NBSS. I got in the water as soon as I could see enough (about 6:45) and got my better waves early. Got bumpy and backwashy and a bit weird (a bit too shallow but the waves were slow over the bank due to an outwards current, so you couldn't even really get speed up and pull in for a momentary small barrel).

Mainly the usual suspects only surfing. Water was pretty nice but the wind and the sand were *cold* (car thermometer said 7 degrees after I finished with about a 5kt cold offshore blowing) - my fingers weren't really working after getting out of my wetty and I had to borrow a friend's shoe horn (who knew one of those was a necessary surf accessory...) to successfully get my shoes on.

Dunno for tomorrow, I'm a bit nonplussed - added to being P'ed off about the lockdown extension, so I just want to sit and sulk.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Similar at the NBSS. I got in the water as soon as I could see enough (about 6:45) and got my better waves early. Got bumpy and backwashy and a bit weird (a bit too shallow but the waves were slow over the bank due to an outwards current, so you couldn't even really get speed up and pull in for a momentary small barrel).

Mainly the usual suspects only surfing. Water was pretty nice but the wind and the sand were *cold* (car thermometer said 7 degrees after I finished with about a 5kt cold offshore blowing) - my fingers weren't really working after getting out of my wetty and I had to borrow a friend's shoe horn (who knew one of those was a necessary surf accessory...) to successfully get my shoes on.

Dunno for tomorrow, I'm a bit nonplussed - added to being P'ed off about the lockdown extension, so I just want to sit and sulk.
Yep. Can I just go to sleep for a week and wake up next Friday?

The one upside is the surfing

• Love
Reactions: Sir Surfalot

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Can I just go to sleep for a week and wake up next Friday?
I probably should surf tomorrow morning (and/or now as well), just to distract me from kicking some inanimate object and probably managing to break a toe. Wetty will be dry (enough) shortly anyway.

Just to top off the day, I got a notification a few minutes ago that the "emergency whisky" I ordered from Amazon last night (5 adults, one house: not a policeman in the world would question this being "essential goods" if I had driven to Dan's to buy it) has failed to be delivered "Item damaged", so I am picturing a delivery driver with rather good scotch sloshing around loose in the floor of their truck right now.

Happy days.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Yeah I surfed. In front of the coffee shop with a couple of mates who also should have known better. Was 3’+, first couple of waves were ok but it got more worserer as a bit more tide came in (we all called it wrong and thought some more water would help) - it got straighter and slammier. The girls (sorry the mature and wise ladies I surf with most days) sensibly went straight down to Kiddies’ Corner and had what they described as a fun surf there. From where I was sitting in the water looked a bit weak down there but seemed to be running ok and I reckon they did a lot better than us. Oh well. I didn’t break anything, managed to spin out on the takeoff on what would have been the wave of the day (late takeoff with a lot of suck and I hit it too hard before setting the fins, and with a 5’7 with small quad fins you don’t always get away with it) which I am still cranky about but I didn’t break or crease the board by doing it.

Totally unrelated, and I have had this bookmarked for a couple of weeks but forgot to post, Nomad (who make really nice Apple Watch bands and other accessories) posted a very good comparative review of surfing with an Apple Watch with the Dawn Patrol app vs the RipCurl SearchGPS2 watch. I used a SearchGPS2 watch for a year or so and the hardware is very good but (IMHO) was let down by software they didn’t really take forward to the extent they could have (maybe improved since I sold mine). Both before and after that I have used Dawn Patrol - it integrates with Apple Health (exercise minutes, heart rate, energy burnt, stuff like that) and also with the SurfLine cameras so you can watch your sessions back. It misses a lot of waves (for me - for some reason most of my friends get better tracking results than I do) but I still like it as I had an Apple Watch anyway and it is a cheap value-add for me on it.

Here’s the comparative review anyway: https://nomadgoods.com/the-nomadic/apple-watch-rip-curl-gps-surf-comparison

p.s. My wife made a batch of chocolate brownies with walnuts on top. I have decided that those with ice cream are a power breakfast :)

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
It's been a very average run of swells here in SA (there has been a couple of decent days in between), but mainly small swells on the south-coast with strong offshore winds or junky wind swells on the mid-coast. Conditions have not been good for the weekend warrior.

I've 'thought' about getting up for a surf each morning this week - but with temps deep in the single digits and not pumping surf i've opted to sleep in instead.

Reactions: W0nkey D0nkey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass