The Surf Thread

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Pretty much double overhead from Bondage to Da Bra this morning. Also saw new novelty wave spot being ridden for the first time (though did wonder many years ago).... a reef or slab break off of Randwick Golf Club. Picky of Da Bra

DSC_3175.JPG

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Had a fun surf at Southy this morning. Surprised at how well the banks are holding up.

Think word is getting out re: quality, was packed this morning and we paddled out 6:30am.

Will have another go tomorrow am but with a few cases popping up on NBs (<-- will keep 'that' chat out of this thread), I'll be going nowhere else but home > car > surf > car > home.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Got out for some exercise at Bondi today. The Bra is outside my 10km radius so Bondi it is for the next two weeks.

1 foot, maybe 2 foot on the sets. I had to surf between meetings so unfortunately surfed pretty much right on high tide. It will be much better as the tide drops out. Got some ok ones, and not so ok ones.

Moved the fin in my main foamed up groveller (don’t laugh - 6’6”, up from 6’4” on the earlier version, and a million inches wide), the one carrying me through to age 60(!!!) and that loosened it up a bit. Much better. it’s amazing what even a few millimetres can do.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Got out for some exercise at Bondi today. The Bra is outside my 10km radius so Bondi it is for the next two weeks.

1 foot, maybe 2 foot on the sets. I had to surf between meetings so unfortunately surfed pretty much right on high tide. It will be much better as the tide drops out. Got some ok ones, and not so ok ones.

Moved the fin in my main foamed up groveller (don’t laugh - 6’6”, up from 6’4” on the earlier version, and a million inches wide), the one carrying me through to age 60(!!!) and that loosened it up a bit. Much better. it’s amazing what even a few millimetres can do.

Well done. I looked at the cam on Surfline and though meh.....

And further to Monday's report on a new (to me) break being surfed....... was a couple on it yesterday (including a SUP), but much smaller than the previous day. Phone piccie below:

DSC_3180.JPG

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

And further to Monday's report on a new (to me) break being surfed....... was a couple on it yesterday (including a SUP), but much smaller than the previous day. Phone piccie below:

DSC_3180.JPG
That’s Little Bay?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
So Friday Bondi surf report was offshore, 3 foot, and very hard to find a wave. Howling offshore. Howling. Blinded by spray, a setting western sun, and huge chop blowing up the face from the howling offshore. Pretty terrible.

With the 10km travel restrictions I can only surf Bondi. I missed the low tide yesterday and otherwise it looked not worth a try. So I didn’t!

Today was good. Pretty good anyway. Very crowded but again 3 foot. Definitely the short board. Peaks up and down the beach spread the crowd. 6 out of 10 maybe? Worth the paddle.

Reactions: Fozzie Bear

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Did an early ride past Bondage, Tam, Bront and da Bra. All looked pretty good (chest highish). @Annabuzzy glad you got wet. Yesterday's howling wind was sending all the swell to Un Zed.
The sets were a touch overhead when out there, but the better ones were those shoulder high ones that hugged the bank a bit better,

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I got out for a wave at seaford yesterday morning. Inconsistent but fun 2' surf! The tide killed it after an hour or so.

Only 10 of us out. Very fun little session indeed.

It looks like there was waves all day, but i couldnt face putting on the wet wetsuit for round 2.

Reactions: Dave6

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Went out this morning. Chilly. Not the water, the land, not often you see Moruya Airport go negative! After I came in I was sweating up top while the toes were numbing up down low (again the land not the water, carpark was shadowed from the morning sun).
Anyway the surf, barely 2ft fun runners, offshore, crystal water :)

Steezey_Wonder

Hard Yards
Jan 11, 2013
Fun waves over the last couple of weeks at Bate Bay. Good banks and not too crowded , although weekends when it’s under 3ft brings out the iso crowds. It was cold this morning, 5 degrees when suiting up. Well worth it though, consistent 4ft peaky waves on offer.

Looking for recommendations for a 3/2 steamer. My flash bomb has a small tear along a seam which I’ll hopefully get repaired at some stage. Billabong are getting good reviews and are made from sustainable products and decompose totally at the end of their life. Anyone had experience with them?

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Fun waves over the last couple of weeks at Bate Bay. Good banks and not too crowded , although weekends when it’s under 3ft brings out the iso crowds. It was cold this morning, 5 degrees when suiting up. Well worth it though, consistent 4ft peaky waves on offer.

Looking for recommendations for a 3/2 steamer. My flash bomb has a small tear along a seam which I’ll hopefully get repaired at some stage. Billabong are getting good reviews and are made from sustainable products and decompose totally at the end of their life. Anyone had experience with them?
They are $$$$ but if your looking for a good quality brand with the sustainable story, the Patagonia wetsuits are meant to be excellent

PiniPowPow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 16, 2010
NSW South Coast
www.olasmontanas.com

DSC_3180.JPG

Hey Fozzie, missed this discussion, i used to surf this quite a bit as grom growing up in the east, could actually be my favourite wave in the area. By the way, in this shot there are 5 different spots that are surfed!

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Had an okayish surf at Southy this morning.

Bout 1.5-2ft. Bit junky though and winds were from the N but luckily it wasn't too strong, so conditions were relatively clean.

Wasn't the best surf but definitely has worse.

Always feel better for it :)

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
I note that there are lawyers who surf
does anyone know whether there is an actual law requiring legropes on boards?
or a by-law of council?
if either, how or whether the law is enforced?

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Search Swellnet. There have been articles surrounding this and extensive discussion. From memory a Byron Bay lawyer was threatening legal action against an offender.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014

Yeah! I have been a Rip Curl man all my surfing life but last year I purchased a couple of Billabong wetties and very happy with both. I've got a Revolution Pro short sleeved springy and an Absolute steamer.

The Revolution Pro is the most flexibly wetty I've ever had. Which is a big thumbs up for me. One thing though to consider if you go with a Pro, you can size down one size because they are so flexible and when wet, do stretch a bit. So if it's quite firm in the dressing room, that's ok, it will give a bit. The Absolute is more traditionally rigid and I find I gravitate to my springy more. I do live on the Gold Coast, so we're not talking super cold water.

From a durability perspective they both appear to be up to the task.

Reactions: FourSquare04

Steezey_Wonder

Hard Yards
Jan 11, 2013
Yeah! I have been a Rip Curl man all my surfing life but last year I purchased a couple of Billabong wetties and very happy with both. I've got a Revolution Pro short sleeved springy and an Absolute steamer.

The Revolution Pro is the most flexibly wetty I've ever had. Which is a big thumbs up for me. One thing though to consider if you go with a Pro, you can size down one size because they are so flexible and when wet, do stretch a bit. So if it's quite firm in the dressing room, that's ok, it will give a bit. The Absolute is more traditionally rigid and I find I gravitate to my springy more. I do live on the Gold Coast, so we're not talking super cold water.

From a durability perspective they both appear to be up to the task.
Thanks for the advice. Finding one in my size is proving tough. I’ll keep trying. Cheers

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
@Steezey_Wonder I have the Rip Curl Dawn Patrol 3/2 and surf The 'Gong and occasionally South Coast NSW mostly, and it's fine. The water this year is still quite warm so it's very tolerable right now. Even in the coldest water last year, it was still fine.

On another note, I checked the forecast and knew this morning was the only window for a surf this weekend, and it didn't disappoint. Really fun, peaky 2ft+ glassy waves here in the Gong at select swell magnet, and surprisingly lucked out with only 2 others on the best peak, got loads of fun ones on the log. Then the hordes decended and it was time to get out, definitely got my fill before the dreaded gale W wind kicked in :)

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
On another note, I checked the forecast and knew this morning was the only window for a surf this weekend, and it didn't disappoint. Really fun, peaky 2ft+ glassy waves here in the Gong at select swell magnet, and surprisingly lucked out with only 2 others on the best peak, got loads of fun ones on the log. Then the hordes decended and it was time to get out, definitely got my fill before the dreaded gale W wind kicked in :)
I'll be paddling out at Southy tomorrow am with a mate, battling the elements. Gonna be cold.

Prefer Westerlies to Easterlies IMO ;).

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Got a surprise NE windswell on the south coast yesterday, kept it from being flat when combined with the small intermittent south swell.
Not bothering today.

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
good luck, hope you can find a few small peelers at southy
I've actually never seen Southy with nothing... even on the smallest of days, you can find something. The wind must've just killed any hope of a wave.

Anyhoo, drove around to Northy and there was a bank with a few.

Actually quite fun. Fingers and toes are still trying to get warm 4 hours later ;)

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I've actually never seen Southy with nothing... even on the smallest of days, you can find something. The wind must've just killed any hope of a wave.

Anyhoo, drove around to Northy and there was a bank with a few.

Actually quite fun. Fingers and toes are still trying to get warm 4 hours later ;)

Ive seen it dead flat on similar winter days before with gale force westerlies. Glad you got a few at Northy! I didn’t bother yesterday, the wind was absolutely insane down here in The Gong yesterday morning

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I got out for a fun little surf yesterday at the bowl. It was a full blown 'stormy' surf with sets in the 2-3' range, and winds onshore at about 20 - 25kts. I think that put the windchill at about 5 degrees. It was duck dive central
Anyway, There was about 15 of us out in the water with an incredibly high tide. The waves were smashing into the cliffs creating backwash into what was already alot of swimming. I paddled out the back and got onto a few really fun waves. There were peaks everywhere.
At one point yesterday i got a wave and then got stuck in the impact zone with another guy who had caught the wave before me. We were both dragged down towards Seaford Reef along the beach before we were able to punch through and then swim back around the outside.

I dont usually go out and surf when it's 'stormy' at the bowl. Theres always alot going on and everyone is always frothing so hard. But it was good to go out and just be awed by the relentless windswell coming through. Some of the waves that come through really jack up out of nowhere as well. Sick fun!

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Strong W zonal pattern has kicked in and will put an end to the fun on the east coast for a while......looks like the mega run of swell is over, gee it's been another good year for swell!

Reactions: Peli89

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
I got out for a fun little surf yesterday at the bowl. It was a full blown 'stormy' surf with sets in the 2-3' range, and winds onshore at about 20 - 25kts. I think that put the windchill at about 5 degrees. It was duck dive central
Anyway, There was about 15 of us out in the water with an incredibly high tide. The waves were smashing into the cliffs creating backwash into what was already alot of swimming. I paddled out the back and got onto a few really fun waves. There were peaks everywhere.
At one point yesterday i got a wave and then got stuck in the impact zone with another guy who had caught the wave before me. We were both dragged down towards Seaford Reef along the beach before we were able to punch through and then swim back around the outside.

I dont usually go out and surf when it's 'stormy' at the bowl. Theres always alot going on and everyone is always frothing so hard. But it was good to go out and just be awed by the relentless windswell coming through. Some of the waves that come through really jack up out of nowhere as well. Sick fun!
Sounds a bit like an east coast NE windswell. 10 years on and I still struggle. See, spin, go, jacking take-off, hold on.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass