The Surf Thread

Paperboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 3, 2016
Canberra/South Coast/East Jindabyne
Watching the men’s surfing at the Olympic’s and I’m getting very tired of the Brazilian’s constantly going for air. Does surfing need to be split into 2 categories, air surfing and wave surfing, similar to skiing & snowboarding have multiple events, half pipe, slope style, ski cross, slaloms, moguls, big air, ski aerials etc.

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Watching the men’s surfing at the Olympic’s and I’m getting very tired of the Brazilian’s constantly going for air. Does surfing need to be split into 2 categories, air surfing and wave surfing, similar to skiing & snowboarding have multiple events, half pipe, slope style, ski cross, slaloms, moguls, big air, ski aerials etc.
100% correct. Its turned into a 30 minute 1 trick competition. Good on them for finding a nice loophole in competitive surfing, but unfortunately competitive surfing it has turned into a speed pump air show. And unless you 5'5 and 60kgs your no chance.

I don't watch unless the surf is 6+ and pumping and they are forced to do some proper turns.

It was funny watching Medina shit his pants at the Box a few years ago and not even catch 1 wave in the whole heat, you can't shoulder ride the box like you can at Tahiti and Cloudbreak where he can get by in the bigger stuff

Paperboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 3, 2016
Canberra/South Coast/East Jindabyne
100% correct. Its turned into a 30 minute 1 trick competition. Good on them for finding a nice loophole in competitive surfing, but unfortunately competitive surfing it has turned into a speed pump air show. And unless you 5'5 and 60kgs your no chance.

I don't watch unless the surf is 6+ and pumping and they are forced to do some proper turns.

It was funny watching Medina shit his pants at the Box a few years ago and not even catch 1 wave in the whole heat, you can't shoulder ride the box like you can at Tahiti and Cloudbreak where he can get by in the bigger stuff
Agree, it’s getting difficult to even watch anymore. Medina is the worst, he does that at Pipe too.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I couldn't watch the surfing on Sunday, brought back memories of the grovelling old days surfing 1-2ft NE windswell slop, it was absolutely woeful. Lucky they have scored some swell now though.

100% agree about the whole air thing really killing it along with the whole Brazo show. Yes you cannot deny that they are good surfers, but can they cool their ego's & stop throwing a thousand airs, it's become a spin to win show.

I'm hoping there's a defective tour created in the coming years where they only surf a select few perfect waves at minimum 6-8 feet, that should sort out the men from the boys....at this rate the slab tour may not be far off either....

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Intended to swim a lap of Bondage this morning...... left goggles behind. Fortunately had boogie board and fins in car, so spent a hour getting sand in the wettie, smashing the shore break, while +0.95(Mk III) did the Bondi-Bronte-Bondi walk.

Water temps magic. Distinct lack of swell didn't deter 100 or so bods sharing party waves on the only two ridable banks..

Reactions: Paperboy

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
I couldn't watch the surfing on Sunday, brought back memories of the grovelling old days surfing 1-2ft NE windswell slop, it was absolutely woeful. Lucky they have scored some swell now though.

100% agree about the whole air thing really killing it along with the whole Brazo show. Yes you cannot deny that they are good surfers, but can they cool their ego's & stop throwing a thousand airs, it's become a spin to win show.

I'm hoping there's a defective tour created in the coming years where they only surf a select few perfect waves at minimum 6-8 feet, that should sort out the men from the boys....at this rate the slab tour may not be far off either....
Its gone way to commercial since the WSL takeover revamp, now it is a business and the comp is treated as such, sacrifice wave quality for crowds, some guys from certain markets tend to score better than others consistently and that snore fest in the wave pool.

It really has gone downhill.

Agree, would be nice to see a side tour, long windows and fly the surfers in 2-3 days before a swell. That would be the kind of thing the real good surfers would froth. John John would show the different level he is on compared to anyone else in a situation like that

Reactions: Paperboy

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Watching todays surfing was shite. Even yesterday with Bourez scoring a piddly score on what was the best barrel anyone has scored during the whole comp, yet Medina does nothing, then pops in the air and he scores 9's.

Yeah I get that they're hard to master but it's not surfing or at least its trick surfing and boring to watch.

Reactions: Paperboy and Peli89
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Airs need to part of a a well constructed wave with flow, not the whole wave racing to a close out air. You ain’t gonna win a slope style event just going big off the last booter and avoiding the rest of the course and surfing should be the same
This.
Italo pumped through 3 turnable sections on his 9.8 wave earlier today just to do a punt at the end.

Yet if Owen surfed that and did 3 big turns instead he'd get an 8 max on a good day.

ben0

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
I disagree with y’all.

It‘s not the 90s anymore. Surfing has progressed.

The raging torrent sloppy conditions are not conducive to traditional power surfing. It makes sense to go to the air and this is a true technical skill that should not be under-rated. Besides, both Italo and Medina can jam a turn as hard as anyone.

If it was a reeling point or anywhere with barrel sections and an open canvass and they kept going for airs then it would be a different story.

Also I don’t buy the arrogant/show pony jibes on the brazos. Most of them come from very humble/poor beginnings and that has given them passion and a a bit of mongrel. They worked hard to get where they are.

Aussie pro’s in general could do with a bit more mongrel, passion and competitiveness. They have all had it too easy for too long. They let these brazos dictate most heats. Would love to see some of our surfers hassle the f#*k out of the likes of Medina more in heats.

lastly, I don’t mind watching crap conditions as it is relatable to what we surf most days, so it is interesting to see what is possible.

Reactions: W0nkey D0nkey

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I disagree with y’all.

It‘s not the 90s anymore. Surfing has progressed.

The raging torrent sloppy conditions are not conducive to traditional power surfing. It makes sense to go to the air and this is a true technical skill that should not be under-rated. Besides, both Italo and Medina can jam a turn as hard as anyone.

If it was a reeling point or anywhere with barrel sections and an open canvass and they kept going for airs then it would be a different story.

Also I don’t buy the arrogant/show pony jibes on the brazos. Most of them come from very humble/poor beginnings and that has given them passion and a a bit of mongrel. They worked hard to get where they are.

Aussie pro’s in general could do with a bit more mongrel, passion and competitiveness. They have all had it too easy for too long. They let these brazos dictate most heats. Would love to see some of our surfers hassle the f#*k out of the likes of Medina more in heats.

lastly, I don’t mind watching crap conditions as it is relatable to what we surf most days, so it is interesting to see what is possible.
I’m wanting to be convinced but spending five wave sections just building up for the close out air leaves me … maybe it just leaves me a northern beaches child of 80’s and 90’s surfing.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Had a mid morning paddle. Junky NE windswell, surf-able though.

You've done well mate, I didn't get to check the most reliable NE swell magnet around down here, but from what I saw here earlier this morning in the The 'Gong it was tiny, barely even a ripple, but you could tell it was NE in direction. Another cracker of a sunrise by the looks, I managed to snap this on my morning check......there were actually 2 desperates trying hard to catch something, but they had the wrong equipment and ideally needed my 9ft mal LOL

IMG_2172.jpg

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Victory at Sea around home today. It's not very often there's so many lines of whitewater..
Overall it doesn't look very inviting atm. Perhaps as the tide comes in things will improve.
These rocks shown are usually heavily covered by sand. Interesting formation

20210728_122320.jpg

20210728_122555.jpg

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Had a 'mental health' session this morning at Southy. Knew it was going to be tiny, but definitely glad I paddled out. One of the most Instagram worthy sunrises you'll see. Couldn't be happier to watch it without an iPhone in hand, and catching a few at the same time. Perfect.

Was actually very busy with people on the beach either walking, swimming or watching the sunrise.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Had a 'mental health' session this morning at Southy. Knew it was going to be tiny, but definitely glad I paddled out. One of the most Instagram worthy sunrises you'll see. Couldn't be happier to watch it without an iPhone in hand, and catching a few at the same time. Perfect.

Was actually very busy with people on the beach either walking, swimming or watching the sunrise.

Looked like an absolutely mental sunrise! Love getting out for an early when the sunrise is like that. There could be a few small peelers at Southy again this morning too, did you get out?

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Looked like an absolutely mental sunrise! Love getting out for an early when the sunrise is like that. There could be a few small peelers at Southy again this morning too, did you get out?
Not this morning. But will get out tomorrow am.

If they extend the 5km travel radius restrictions to the NBs I'm cooked.

Please Gladys, it's our one outlet!! LOL

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I had a quick surf yesterday at the Bowl.. The wind had gone light in the late arvo making the surf peaky and about 2'. The after school froth pit was in full effect and made it hard to get many waves but i still got onto a few fun ones... I was almost hot yesterday in the booties hood and 43.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Did a ride by of Bondage at around 7:30 am ........ holy fukk could not believe how many punters were out and about. Eleventy billion bobbing in the briny waiting for waist high waves, another eleventy billion swimming laps.... so crowded I reckon they needed lane markers between Icebergs and Ben Buckler. Mr Plod was out and about in force (3 Highway Patrol vehicles doing laps of Bondi Road and Campbell Parade). Glad we opted for a bike ride rather than swimming.

Bronte and Maroubra looked okay. Signed a few whales off of Malabar.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Did a ride by of Bondage at around 7:30 am ........ holy fukk could not believe how many punters were out and about. Eleventy billion bobbing in the briny waiting for waist high waves, another eleventy billion swimming laps.... so crowded I reckon they needed lane markers between Icebergs and Ben Buckler. Mr Plod was out and about in force (3 Highway Patrol vehicles doing laps of Bondi Road and Campbell Parade). Glad we opted for a bike ride rather than swimming.

Bronte and Maroubra looked okay. Signed a few whales off of Malabar.

This weekend is going to be an absolute gong show at Bondage

Reactions: Zimbooo

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Fun session at Southy this morning.

Blardy cold though...

Lots and lots of people out and about. Wasn't too crowded where we were, but looking both north and south, was packed.

3-4 Jet Skis out the back doing laps up and down.

Kayakers doing the same.

Besides feeling absolutely freezing, you'd think it was Christmas holidays...

EDIT: for the record, nobody was technically doing the wrong thing. Everyone was exercising to some extent. Just interesting the amount of people.

Reactions: FourSquare04

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
2/3rds of SFA surf wise at Bondage this morning, but I did manage to get +0.95 (Mk III) to put her wetsuit on and come down for a swim. She did manage about half a lap. I managed a whole lap with arms falling off at the end. I blame swimming in a wetsuit..... or more likely that I have not done any swimming in months.

Pro tip. Put wetsuit on at home as it avoids a cold struggle in the car park.

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
2/3rds of SFA surf wise at Bondage this morning, but I did manage to get +0.95 (Mk III) to put her wetsuit on and come down for a swim. She did manage about half a lap. I managed a whole lap with arms falling off at the end. I blame swimming in a wetsuit..... or more likely that I have not done any swimming in months.

Pro tip. Put wetsuit on at home as it avoids a cold struggle in the car park.
Ditto for Southy this morning. Nice sunrise though :)

Swell direction was weird. N/NW wind cooked it.

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I had another cracking surf down south on Saturday. I got to the carpark about 730am, expecting to see stiff offshores getting into it and the surf being blown effectively flat. But alas, there was glassy conditions and really fun 2 - 3' surf. I was in the water for about 2 hours and got the pick of whatever I wanted.

It's felt like an eternity since I have seen a day of light winds.. The NW or SW or W winds have been relentless here for the last 4 weeks.... and are back up again today spoiling what surf there is.

Bring on Spring (getting over to NSW or Vic for a snowtrip has been written off for me)!

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Crapola up here. Pissy swell from the nth, wind from sth.
So many farktards around town not wearing masks during lockdown. Reckon I saw more than 20 during my three out of home activities today…….walking dogs, PO and supermarket. Cringe.

Reactions: Peli89

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Crapola up here. Pissy swell from the nth, wind from sth.
So many farktards around town not wearing masks during lockdown. Reckon I saw more than 20 during my three out of home activities today…….walking dogs, PO and supermarket. Cringe.
Yep, same down here on the Goldy.

Most huddled around coffee shops.

Reactions: Zimbooo
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass