The Surf Thread

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Eye watering big wave surfing doco

found it amusing when they took to an iceberg calving with jet ski and boards and rode the shock wave from calving

816C73E1-BCD0-4309-8FE8-3D79600DB394.png

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
There is some Good surf at W.P. today for those lucky locals such as @prcoy .
The open water Bombora waves coming through the channel into W.P. look amazing on the Trigger Brothers surf camera.
That is a some solid swell and the winds are co operating.
Monday looks like a BIG swell and off shore winds and washing machine wipe outs.
1628902271545.png
1628902271545.png
no fun allowed sign.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
While I’ve been getting wet 3-4 days a week, today will be my last surf in a while thanks to revised restrictions. I’m more than 5km from the beach. I think I’ll struggle as going for a surf was the last piece of joy in my life at the moment.

2-3 foot at Bondi. Nice waves but very crowded on a beautiful, sunny Saturday. Surprisingly for such a busy day I was able to pick the eyes out of the crowds and get a good number of waves.

Edit - restrictions from Monday - I can get in one more surf tomorrow, thank god.

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Smaller again today along the Sunshine stretch……….1 to 2ft. This run of waves is done and dusted.

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
While I’ve been getting wet 3-4 days a week, today will be my last surf in a while thanks to revised restrictions. I’m more than 5km from the beach. I think I’ll struggle as going for a surf was the last piece of joy in my life at the moment.

2-3 foot at Bondi. Nice waves but very crowded on a beautiful, sunny Saturday. Surprisingly for such a busy day I was able to pick the eyes out of the crowds and get a good number of waves.

Edit - restrictions from Monday - I can get in one more surf tomorrow, thank god.
Anna, it's not ideal but the messaging is if the beach is in your LGA you can still go surfing. I can still go to Palmy from Manly, which is crazy and I won't but you can.

Reactions: FourSquare04

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Anna, it's not ideal but the messaging is if the beach is in your LGA you can still go surfing. I can still go to Palmy from Manly, which is crazy and I won't but you can.
Yeah that’s not me, sadly. I’m 9.7km from the beach and outside the LGA.

It’s frustrating in the sense I know that surfing is entirely socially distanced, and entirely safe. I get though it’s happening to make police enforcement easier but that doesn’t necessarily give me any comfort.

It is what it is. Hopefully it’s not for long.

• Sad
Reactions: Craig B

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Yeah that’s not me, sadly. I’m 9.7km from the beach and outside the LGA.

It’s frustrating in the sense I know that surfing is entirely socially distanced, and entirely safe. I get though it’s happening to make police enforcement easier but that doesn’t necessarily give me any comfort.

It is what it is. Hopefully it’s not for long.
Aghh bummer.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
3 foot again at Bondi for my final pre-incarceration surf. But for the crowds, it was pretty good. Got a handful of pretty decent ones the memory of which I’ll need to carry with me the next few weeks :D . My poor neighbours will now have to witness the pathetic sight of middle aged me skateboarding and in-line skating in the back lane to keep fit. No doubt they’ll be quickly lobbying the government to expand the 5km radius to put an end to their private hello_O

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
3 foot again at Bondi for my final pre-incarceration surf. But for the crowds, it was pretty good. Got a handful of pretty decent ones the memory of which I’ll need to carry with me the next few weeks :D . My poor neighbours will now have to witness the pathetic sight of middle aged me skateboarding and in-line skating in the back lane to keep fit. No doubt they’ll be quickly lobbying the government to expand the 5km radius to put an end to their private hello_O
Welcome to the 5km prison yard . We Melb. people who surf, ski , swim , cycle and bushwalk know it all too well.
We have had nearly 200 days of it since March 2020.
:-((

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods

Shoulda bought a bike........

And glad you got a few amongst the crowds. I might grab a couple for your during the week.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Shoulda bought a bike........

And glad you got a few amongst the crowds. I might grab a couple for your during the week.
How crowded was it? When I finished my surf and looked out at the crowds I don’t know how I managed to pick up any unmolested. But as you know at least 30% of the crowd are totally clueless there, and another 40% have half a clue. It always looks more difficult to snag a wave than it turns out.

Reactions: Fozzie Bear

prcoy

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2010
Point Leo, Australia
There is some Good surf at W.P. today for those lucky locals such as @prcoy .
The open water Bombora waves coming through the channel into W.P. look amazing on the Trigger Brothers surf camera.
That is a some solid swell and the winds are co operating.
Monday looks like a BIG swell and off shore winds and washing machine wipe outs.
1628902271545.png
1628902271545.png
no fun allowed sign.jpg
Yes, surf was pretty good yesterday, I've had a dodgy shoulder so went out on the SUP. Very good time had.
Police had done some sort of COVID patrol checking people were within the 5k limit, nearly everyone was turned away.
Plenty of waves for the few within 5k.
Up until yesterday I many were ignoring the 5k limit. Even a lot having a look today.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Yes, surf was pretty good yesterday, I've had a dodgy shoulder so went out on the SUP. Very good time had.
Police had done some sort of COVID patrol checking people were within the 5k limit, nearly everyone was turned away.
Plenty of waves for the few within 5k.
Up until yesterday I many were ignoring the 5k limit. Even a lot having a look today.
I am doing pop ups on the living room rug ( a daily set of ten ) and push ups to keep surf fit but my paddle fitness without pool lap swimming is fading.
Cycling keeps me bike fit but my XC ski fitness is fading. I have not Nordic skied since 1/8/21 in between lockdown No. 5 and No. 6.

Reactions: prcoy

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Went for a paddle on the log on Saturday morning, only small mostly 1ft, maybe occasional or very odd 2ft stray set. Still managed to snag plenty of fun little runners. Absolute cracker of a day down here on Saturday, was rude not to get out. Even went for a swim a bit later in the morning. Was probably the coldest I've ever gone in the water for a swim ever, felt like it was around 17ish, but after about 10 mins the body adjusted (or went numb).
Checked it Sunday morning and it was definitely bigger, more like 2ft maybe even up to 3ft sets were coming in, looked straight. Decided to flag it.

Pic from Saturday post swim - rare, nice little left runner with no one out

IMG_2203.jpg

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
The bump in swell that was forecasted this morning never really eventuated.

In saying that, was about 2ft offshore at Southy and a whole bank to myself for about 50 mins so can't complain.

Think it's suppose to pick up this arvo into tomorrow (?).

Nice score mate! Always good to get Southy to yourself if there's a few fun ones. Yeah, supposed to pick up later today / overnight, but not the best direction for Southy unfortunately.....you may have to venture further afield

Reactions: SnowBound

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Nice score mate! Always good to get Southy to yourself if there's a few fun ones. Yeah, supposed to pick up later today / overnight, but not the best direction for Southy unfortunately.....you may have to venture further afield
Same happened (but the opposite) on Sunday morning.

Forecast was 0.5ft. Went down expecting Lake Narra. Was actually 2ft offshore, and NOBODY out. Literally had Southy to myself for a good hour. Beautiful sunrise to boot.

Can't get much better than that IMO

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
small and average this morning for the dawnie. Still good to get wet for an hour before work. It's looking like it's going to be a small weekend. I'll pack the car up tomorrow and go search the local beaches to see if I can find anything worth it.

Reactions: Belly and Craig B

ben0

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Picked this up yesterday JR Big Baron 6'8" x 20 3/4 x 2 5/8 , took out this morning 2-3' beachies , put some MR Twins with stabilizer fin . Wow what a smooth ride , loved to drift into the pocket and so easy to turn , paddling was effortless .
Don't know if they are making them yet , I was lucky to get a special order .

IMG_3122.JPG
Yeah I have been wanting a long twin with a pin but still has some performance aspects. Its a shame JS are only making the stock versions of these in thailand and as epoxies. Was this epoxy or Pu? tbh I reckon the Thai pop puts will be fine, but not going to pay $999!

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
Yeah I have been wanting a long twin with a pin but still has some performance aspects. Its a shame JS are only making the stock versions of these in thailand and as epoxies. Was this epoxy or Pu? tbh I reckon the Thai pop puts will be fine, but not going to pay $999!
I don't think they are being made in Thailand ????
I was under the impression mine was made in factory on GC , custom order .
I got PU with a thruster setup .
I didn't pay $999 , mates rates .

Last edited:
Reactions: Belly

ben0

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
I don't think they are being made in Thailand ????
I was under the impression mine was made in factory on GC , custom order .
I got PU with a thruster setup .
I didn't pay $999 , mates rates .
Oh yeah they are now made in Thailand! I checked with my local core board store Aloha (Stock boards that is)

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Pretty much as close to flat as you can get at Southy this morning.

Only lasted 45 mins until it literally became unrideable on the high tide.

Sunrise was pretty though.

We had some 1-1.5ft with very occasional 2ft S swell on Saturday morning down here in the 'Gong at select Sth swell magnet stretch. Loads of fun on the log. Soooo glassy and with that cloudy sky it made for that epic glass off where you struggle to tell the difference between sky and ocean.
Then a lunch time swim / surf with the young fella in boardies and rashie.....was fresh but tolerable! Two weekends in a row swimming in mid to late winter....crazy

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass