The Surf Thread

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
What's Noosa looking like ?
You'll be getting small E/SE swell late week from this fetch north-east of NZ but nothing from the low..

1629696261727.png

It'll be in Stave's FC

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Saturday morning i went out for a surf... It was pretty undersized early, but about an hour in to my surf the swell really kicked and was about 2 - 3'. I surfed until my arms were gassed and got some sweet waves.
Sunday morning I went down for a sunrise surf at the point on the twin fin... I got some really good waves - but the consistency of Saturday lacked a bit.. The wind also pretty stiff.
This morning I went out and had another surf at the bowl. The outgoing tide killed it after about 45 minutes but there were some super fun waves. The black baron loves weak but steeper waves. Set waves were about 1.5 foot. Fingers crossed the incoming tide will create some push for the afternoon.
I have a bit of downtime at work atm.. So am also considering a day trip over to yorkes tomorrow. Let's see how the day plays out.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
SN spot on with 'thin' fetch and buoys not telling the story analysis, was tiny small where there was any shelter. Might try again tomorrow but work might not allow, Thu too big (?), Fri hopefully (if still not too big).

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
SN spot on with 'thin' fetch and buoys not telling the story analysis, was tiny small where there was any shelter. Might try again tomorrow but work might not allow, Thu too big (?), Fri hopefully (if still not too big).

Yeah I won't be surfing until the weekend, probably Sunday at this stage. Back to weekend warrior at the moment until it warms up and the days gets a bit longer....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Quick Question: Has anyone surfed a black board before? How does it go in the heat?

I'm interested to know how it would fair during a South Aussie summer...

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Quick Question: Has anyone surfed a black board before? How does it go in the heat?

I'm interested to know how it would fair during a South Aussie summer...

Not personally, but a mate of a mate had one way back and was a biatch for keeping the wax on. Black bum and white deck is another matter and looks pretty schmick.

Reactions: Peli89

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
I checked out Warriewood first thing this morning.

Was definitely protected from the wind, but wasn't inviting at all. Pulled the pin and drove home tail between the legs.

Might try Collaroy on Thursday or Friday for a protected paddle.

Reactions: FourSquare04

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Yeah I won't be surfing until the weekend, probably Sunday at this stage. Back to weekend warrior at the moment until it warms up and the days gets a bit longer....
Latest GFS now has low loitering in the Tasman well into the weekend. Friday might be too big as well, Saturday now quite sizeable although hopefully more manageable with some protection. Touch wood I don't have the time to hit up my super protected spots during the week so it might be a dry week for me as well.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
That water looks putrid! Must have copped some decent rain up there, we have had a fair drop down here in the 'Gong, was well needed as it was looking very dry

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Latest GFS now has low loitering in the Tasman well into the weekend. Friday might be too big as well, Saturday now quite sizeable although hopefully more manageable with some protection. Touch wood I don't have the time to hit up my super protected spots during the week so it might be a dry week for me as well.

Yeah just saw the updated WAMs, definitely looking at a prolonged period of SSE swell, looking pretty solid for the weekend even!

Reactions: Craig B

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
That water looks putrid! Must have copped some decent rain up there, we have had a fair drop down here in the 'Gong, was well needed as it was looking very dry
I think it's just churned up kelp. There's no smell. And no storm water drain. Stormwater has to filter through the dunes (and there are a lot of dunes). In swales between the dunes there are areas of standing water.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I spent a few minutes watching the Manly cam this morning - what a zoo - don't know how city surfers do it!

I rarely used to surf there, it's marginally better than Bondage but very similar with backpackers and loads of drop ins.....but if you have the flexibility like Craig does, you can pick your times and still score! I know personally I have scored it semi decent with just myself, a mate and then a couple of others paddled out......once it gets over say 5 or 6 feet then that's when the crowd does thin and it's similar at Bondage as per @POW Hungry as he will tell you the same no doubt....one good thing about the Man town stretch is there are so many breaks to spread the crowds out, when you include bower/winki/deadmans in the mix....but....the downside is having the ferry brings in loads of tourists from all over Syd.

This morning I'm not surprised too @Belly as it would have been one of the more manageable spots working in the larger swell on the NB's.....if the swell was more from the E or NE then it would open up a lot more beaches on the peninsula to spread out the masses

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I decided to chuck the boards in the car and do a strike mission yesterday over to yorkes. I left home about 4:30am and got over there at about 9am.. The wind was moderate S'erly (not ideal for where I wanted to surf)... I knew the wind was going to be average, but decided that there was a chance it will be glassy in the morning, and really - there was going to be no surf at home, so why not... I ended up surfing Pondie - which was surprisingly fun. It was just after low tide when i paddled out, and the surf pulsed as the tide came in..
At one point over the 2 hours there was 6 of us in the water, but most of the time there was only 3 or 4 of us out... Size would have been 3', perhaps a touch bigger on the sets and both the left and right were working... More than enough waves for everyone..
I made the mistake of taking a right hander into the shorebreak and got absolutely smoked. I momentarily mistook myself for Gabby Medina and thought I could throw an air off the close out.. I mis-timed everything and was minced on the sand.

After the surf, I cooked up a bbq in the carpark on the way home and started the journey home... 7 hours in the car for 2.5 hours of surfing... I'd say it was definitely worth it.

No pic of the surf today, but a quick pic of the bbq spot afterwards. yew.

20210825_121249.jpg

20210825_085010.jpg

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Yeah - I did pass a red belly sunning itself on the side of the road. He was only about a metre long.

Reactions: Belly

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
I rarely used to surf there, it's marginally better than Bondage but very similar with backpackers and loads of drop ins.....but if you have the flexibility like Craig does, you can pick your times and still score! I know personally I have scored it semi decent with just myself, a mate and then a couple of others paddled out......once it gets over say 5 or 6 feet then that's when the crowd does thin and it's similar at Bondage as per @POW Hungry as he will tell you the same no doubt....one good thing about the Man town stretch is there are so many breaks to spread the crowds out, when you include bower/winki/deadmans in the mix....but....the downside is having the ferry brings in loads of tourists from all over Syd.

This morning I'm not surprised too @Belly as it would have been one of the more manageable spots working in the larger swell on the NB's.....if the swell was more from the E or NE then it would open up a lot more beaches on the peninsula to spread out the masses
IMHO, it's not the tourists you need to worry about, it's the residents who infrequently surf. They have absolutely no comprehension of 'etiquette'. I know who they are, I'll happily burn them. No worries, no regret.

But yep, 100%, you gotta pick your battles. I try only surf on days like today +4-5 feet. Learn to embrace onshore and always anticipate a shitty surf and you'll usually walk out the water a happy, positive human.
Mindset and strategy is the key to surfing Sydney waves.

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com

Would have to say shape, quality and consistency wise Manly would be 5-10x better than Bondi. It's always got some sort of bank or ripbowl and works from 1ft to 6-8ft. Don't know another beach that does that and also it absolutely pumps at times.

If it weren't in the city I'd drive to it every weekend to surf! A high quality beachy.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Mindset and strategy is the key to surfing Sydney waves.

My surfing was never at a level that allowed me to fight for waves, so the more crowded it got, the more time I spent bobbing on the ocean before paddling in disappointed. Why I loved surfing at Narrawallee when I had the beach house. And also why I love ocean swimming at Bondi.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Would have to say shape, quality and consistency wise Manly would be 5-10x better than Bondi. It's always got some sort of bank or ripbowl and works from 1ft to 6-8ft. Don't know another beach that does that and also it absolutely pumps at times.

If it weren't in the city I'd drive to it every weekend to surf! A high quality beachy.

Yeah true that, my response was more targeted around crowd levels being similar to Bondage. In terms of quality, yep it's definitely one of the better quality beachies especially on the NB's.....I reckon the stormwater pipes along the stretch help the banks, along with the outside bommie, do you too Craig?

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Yeah true that, my response was more targeted around crowd levels. In terms of quality, yep it's definitely one of the better quality beachies especially on the NB's.....I reckon the stormwater pipes along the stretch help the banks, along with the outside bommie, do you too Craig?
Yep and yep. Thing is with the crowds, the secret is lineups and knowing which banks work on which tides. With this you can score lots of waves, people just float by and sit too far out etc ha

Reactions: FourSquare04

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Jesus...

This morning was a zoo. Everywhere.

Warriewood - forget about it. Turned around and drove out. Couldn't even get a park.

Collaroy - zoo.

South Narra - bombing closeouts.

Found a 'secret spot' with nobody out albeit not great, but still had a bank to myself ;).

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Jesus...

Warriewood - forget about it. Turned around and drove out. Couldn't even get a park.

Collaroy - zoo.

Found a 'secret spot' with nobody out albeit not great, but still had a bank to myself ;).

Brownwater or White rock? ;)

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Jesus...

Collaroy - zoo.

Check out Man town stretch today, now that is a ZOO!

Pumping left and right bank at Queensie though so it's fair enough!

Craig could be somewhere in that pack :D

1630025376304.png

• Haha
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass