The Surf Thread

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Check out Man town stretch today, now that is a ZOO!

Pumping left and right bank at Queensie though so it's fair enough!

Craig could be somewhere in that pack :D

1630025376304.png
Jees. Looks like Warriewood this morning. Except better quality waves.

Which apartment block is that camera mounted to?

Lucky bastards with a view like that..

Reactions: FourSquare04

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Jees. Looks like Warriewood this morning. Except better quality waves.

Which apartment block is that camera mounted to?

Lucky bastards with a view like that..

Craig will be able to confirm, but I think it's the really tall building on the right as you go around the corner at Queensie just past the crossing where the SLSC is....yeah sweet view hey. Would cost you a few Mil for a view like that in Man town.....

On days like these, my philosophy is to sit on the inside and pick up the scraps. You might cop a few extra on the head for your troubles, but IMO you pick up more waves that way.....

Reactions: SnowBound
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
The Kung Flu has definitely ruined any hope of an uncrowded mid week session that's for sure, even down here the numbers are well and truly up in the water, but you can still find uncrowded peaks if you know where to look :)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I have ordered a new 4/3 steamer wet suit online from Need Essentials. When we are released from Covid Prison it will be be Oct. or Nov., , ski season will be over and the VIC. water temp. will still be quite low.
I also ordered 6 mm booties and 3 mm gloves.
I am doing pop ups in sets of ten on the floor and push ups and cycling.
I miss skiing and surfing and bushwalking and most of all SWIMMING and LIVE MUSIC.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Went to Southy 6am this morning. Size was a lot more manageable but after 10 minutes of watching, I didn't see anything rideable. Still too straight.

So off to Warriewood we went, with 60% of the NB's ;).

Busy, crammed but at least it was fairly rideable.

Yeah looked straight as on the pics and vids I saw online, but still people surfing out there, don't know why you would purposely want to surf straight handers, maybe for the insta crew to get a couple of look at me getting almost barrelled shots?!!

Reactions: SnowBound

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I surfed the South Coast on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was very small - but there was a fun bank to surf. We had it for about an hour and a half before a family of 11 paddled out and sat square in the takeoff zone pushing the groms into all the small waves and taking off on any set wave.. Everyone got frustrated after about half an hour of this and we all paddled in and left it to the family.

Sunday arvo there was a small pulse in the swell - maybe 1' to 1.5' off the point. I surfed it for about 2 hours and once again another frustrating surf. It wasnt quite big enough for myself on the twin, but i didnt really want to take out the long board.. I think I'm about to buy a mid length of some sort for those in between days. The long board scares me a bit - it's so big and heavy I'm really just a missile in the crowds.

Oh well - looking forward to a big pulse of swell in the coming days,

geekman

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2016
Mornington Peninsula
I have ordered a new 4/3 steamer wet suit online from Need Essentials. When we are released from Covid Prison it will be be Oct. or Nov., , ski season will be over and the VIC. water temp. will still be quite low.
I also ordered 6 mm booties and 3 mm gloves.
I am doing pop ups in sets of ten on the floor and push ups and cycling.
I miss skiing and surfing and bushwalking and most of all SWIMMING and LIVE MUSIC.
The Need 4/3's are great, got me through this winter and warmer and much lighter than my (albeit quite old and leaky) hooded Xcel drylock 5/4. Don't think you will need those booties or gloves in Oct/Nov though. I'm close to putting my booties away, at 12.9 degrees right now which is a degree warmer most winters and only going to get warmer from here

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I surfed the South Coast on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was very small - but there was a fun bank to surf. We had it for about an hour and a half before a family of 11 paddled out and sat square in the takeoff zone pushing the groms into all the small waves and taking off on any set wave.. Everyone got frustrated after about half an hour of this and we all paddled in and left it to the family.

Sunday arvo there was a small pulse in the swell - maybe 1' to 1.5' off the point. I surfed it for about 2 hours and once again another frustrating surf. It wasnt quite big enough for myself on the twin, but i didnt really want to take out the long board.. I think I'm about to buy a mid length of some sort for those in between days. The long board scares me a bit - it's so big and heavy I'm really just a missile in the crowds.

Oh well - looking forward to a big pulse of swell in the coming days,

That is a monster low in the bight o_O

1630286317448.png

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Looks a lot smaller on the cams than the 3-4ft predicted in the forecast, looks to be back to a full 2 to maybe 3ft now on Gong/Nulla cams under a high tide

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I surfed a reef semi-near home last night... I didn't really expect it to be breaking as the tides were all wrong, but when i rocked up it was breaking with only 4 others out... so i suited up and paddled out... We had a seal, a school of salmon, a pod of dolphins and cormorants diving in the water around us just on dusk which was super cool. I try not to think about what else was under the water haha.

This morning I surfed the bowl - it would have been 2', glassy calm and pumping. there was maybe 30 blokes out and sets were quite consistant. I had an absolute stinker of a surf. Late to take off, too deep, not deep enough. I paddled in after an hour - time for a reset and try again in a few hours.

Happy Birthday for yesterday Belly!! What a way to spend a bit of the day.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Fun splash on the shark biscuit at south Bondage this morning. Waist high sets and not uber crowded (i.e. had to paddle out rather than walk over the bodies). Water warm enough for short sleeve spring suit, though that may change if the NE'ers produce an upwelling.

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Scored up the beaches today. Some reason everyone was very slow off the mark today. Surfed a sick right rip bowl, like a wave pool, 2-3ft bowly right with one other for 1.5 hours! Then got a little busier through the day but again empty on dark. Froth. 3x surfs and surfed out!
Similar story for me and a mate at Southy. Looked crap from the shore but once we paddled out, winds swung W and tidied it up. From 6-6:30am we had a sweet left hander all to ourselves and even when we were eventually joined by the hoards, they spread out.

Just one of those weird days where you're at the right place, right time.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass