DSC_3219.JPG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
Was a death at wategos last week too, guy in his 50s had a heart attack while surfing, I saw them working on him on a lap around :(
Was a shark sighting at wategos this afternoon while I was out there, when i came back from the mega ride the surf club jet ski was buzzing around and a guy on a clubbie board whose always out the back said it came right up to him for a look, 5-6ft with a round nose, went out for one more lap. The whales have been super close.

*shot is not from today (also not mine) waves were breaking out behind the bommie

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Yeah super heavy and sad. There were some warning signs though, big bait ball and birds diving it with fish in the wave faces as well. App the shark was spotted and a alarm sounded but just a touch too late for everyone to come in. Rest in peace Timmy and thoughts to all those affected, especially his wife and unborn child :(.

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Good point on the warning signs.
Personally I'd like to think I have a good balance between being mindful of the risk but not preoccupied to unhealthy levels.
I can surf some lonely stretches, even on weekends, so other than 'not vibing it' those warning signs you mentioned I'm aware of but again it's a good reminder.

A more abstract signal; at a few of the spots I frequent there is often a local seal, generally I think it's a good thing if they appear for a play as it indicates there is no immediate danger, dunno...

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Good point on the warning signs.
Personally I'd like to think I have a good balance between being mindful of the risk but not preoccupied to unhealthy levels.
I can surf some lonely stretches, even on weekends, so other than 'not vibing it' those warning signs you mentioned I'm aware of but again it's a good reminder.

A more abstract signal; at a few of the spots I frequent there is often a local seal, generally I think it's a good thing if they appear for a play as it indicates there is no immediate danger, dunno...
Agree on the Seal thing.
Usually calms everything a bit when you see one of those frolicking around.
Especially on some of the outer reefs of the MP

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Can scare the sh1t out of you the very first moment you see them, generally appear quite close. Unlike dolphins which you can generally track from quite a distance.

• Haha
Reactions: Chowder11

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
As for surf - the NE swell was quite solid on the WE down this way, winds weren't cooperative on Sat and I had jab 1 sore arm. Had a crack on Sunday around lunchtime, probably should've waited for the late as a lot of water moving, but snagged a few fun ones.
Surfed before work yesterday, super fun corners (literally in a corner and wedgy rights) on the new swell. Got a few but my form was a bit off.
Too much work today and between pulses, looking forward to the early tomorrow!

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig B and Peli89

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Had an after work surf Wednesday night down south. There was hardly anyone out and heaps of fun waves. The wind had also completely died out. Waves were in the 3' range. So good. Came in after the sun set and had fish and chips on the beach.

I went out for another surf this morning down south - but it was a bit fat and undersized. Fairly miserable to be honest. The cold morning didnt help. The car was at 5 degrees as i got out.

There seems to be some decent waves breaking right now near home - and the wind is slightly NE... jumping on it super quickly before the school froth pit gets to it.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Has been pretty biggly at Bondage all week.... very much a swell magnet for the south swell we have had. Was gunna this morning..... but work got in the way... and now the wind has gone SE, which is pretty much direct onshore at Bondage. Meh.

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Had a 'mixed bag' session at Southy yesterday morning.

Cracking sunrise, offshore 3-4ft but a bit inconsistent and could tell there was a mix of E/SE swell.

Mostly closeouts with the odd decent one in the mix.

Banks there atm are super shallow. It was heading towards high tide and still shallow.

Reactions: Craig B

Formally_FS04

First Runs
Sep 13, 2021
I'm back. Hope @Sir Surfalot is OK as he has not been seen or heard of for a while. Been surfing a little but not as much as I would like. Had a session on Saturday in the long period S pulse down here, felt like it was mixed in with a bit of E swell too. Solo session in mediocre waves. Another swim day in the hot weather, isolating on a quiet stretch. Water still feels coolish around 17....

@SnowBound sounds like classic Southy with the shallow banks!

Saturday would have been epic at The Farm but alas it's too far beyond my LGA :(

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowBound and Belly

Formally_FS04

First Runs
Sep 13, 2021
Looks like there's going to be a good swell event coming up for the Gold Coast going off the charts / WAMs, that fetch looks decent for a S/SE swell event aimed directly up there

Reactions: Dave6

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Saturday pumped with that over-performing S'ly swell. Had the funnest rip-bowl right with only a handful out. Solid sets and a ton of fun.

What a way to end off a great run of surf.
Yeah Saturday was fun as at Southy.

Daughter's 1st birthday tomorrow so I'll be out of action. Looks like it'll be a S'ly with 1-2ft dribble anyway so not missing anything ;)

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Every time I see that I wonder how many blows it can take before it's over..
Was bang on the glory shot this morning.
Sun was up enough , but the cloud bank behind the hill / over the water ran the block.
Dammit.
first world lock down problem.
I never take a day in this life, that I have dedicated my path, for granted.
It's not over yet !

Reactions: POW Hungry
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass