The Surf Thread

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Not much happening surf-wise today. Plenty of whale action though.

20210918_113323.jpg

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
went for a drive check a couple of places ....
so frustrating.
offshore but no banks, courtesy of the low tide.
joys of it sometimes.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Yeah my back beach is average.
There was just enough West in the wind for the corner, was epic. Some bigger 4ft plus sets I mopped up the 3 footers. Very content!

Reactions: Craig B

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Yeah my back beach is average.
There was just enough West in the wind for the corner, was epic. Some bigger 4ft plus sets I mopped up the 3 footers. Very content!
was a case of so close, just had that look that I'd be more frustrated than stoked....
might go for a drive down Broulee way tomoz ,
the Search .

Reactions: Belly

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
frustration again. ish.
first world problem as I'm free and got plenty of clean air .
clean as a whistle but 1 to 2 foot and closing out.
could have gone for a paddle but took mrs nofriendsinpowder & the dog for a walk / swim down the beach from the surf club / van park half way ish to Moruya and back.
would have gone the whole way but didn't have any footwear and zee olde kneez & feet started to complain.

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Not much surfing to report. It's been predominantly onshore / cros-shore / bad timing with work for the last 7 days.

I'm off to the west coast weekend after next for a week and a half - fingers crossed I score over there.

I've also picked up a new board. a 6'3 DHD DNA @ 32L for when the waves have a bit more punch. The perfect West Coast board. I'm keen to try it out over there.

Reactions: Belly and Craig B

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Not much surfing to report. It's been predominantly onshore / cros-shore / bad timing with work for the last 7 days.

I'm off to the west coast weekend after next for a week and a half - fingers crossed I score over there.

I've also picked up a new board. a 6'3 DHD DNA @ 32L for when the waves have a bit more punch. The perfect West Coast board. I'm keen to try it out over there.
Yeah length is always needed over there. Waves have the power, just need the length to get into them a bit earlier.

Reactions: Peli89
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

ben0

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
I had an unfortunate surf rage incident at Queenscliff last Friday.

It was one of the better mornings of the week surf wise. The corner rip was running so you had to do a fair bit of paddling to stay on the inside and in position. Also only really the corner lefts we’re working due to the low tide. Quiet a competitive line up due to the limited number of waves for the crowd, and the excitement of good conditions.

One of the classic regular old salties was blowing up at people a fair bit and more aggressive than usual. An hour had passed and I was on the inside after much work to remain there and finally my wave in came, I caught it and old grumpy mate blatantly dropped in on me and never pulled off, and I let out a sarcastic “thanks mate”.

Old mate responded with the bird and angrily telling me to get fuc*ed. Frustrated, I returned the favour verbally. Old mate then asked if I wanted to go to the beach, in anger and feeling hardly done by I surprised myself by taking up the offer and caught a wave directly to him, seemingly calling his bluff. Once I arrived to bad grandpa he was starting to square up, to which I responded ‘mate, I’m not going to fight you’. After a few verbal exchanges and accusation that I ‘paddled on his inside’ I caught a wave in prone to the beach. He proceeded to follow me up the beach about 20m behind continuing the verbal tirade. To my right I could see one of the other top 3 angry old men (also his buddy) watch on, and he decided to join in without even knowing what happened. Further insults starting flying my way directing me to ‘go back to Mosman’ etc etc (despite living within walking distance and growing up on the NB).

Grump old mate then got some more courage with his other angry buddy nearby and so he decided to put on a show and physically shove me and then get right up within 1cm of my face goading me to fight, this all happening whilst the mummies walk by with their lattes and labradoodles in shock and horror. As I proceeded to walk to the shower the second old mate decided to inform me and a young bloke who came to my defence that we were both ‘marked by Queenscliff boardriders’.

So many things to unpack here.

- Firstly, I struggle to understand why these old angry guys with a chip on their shoulder even bother to surf if it causes them so much anger on a regular basis.

- Enforcing localism onto others on a crowded city beach is just a waste of energy. HaIf the time these guys don’t even live in the suburb or grew up there (not that It should matter anyway)

- Puzzles me when these guys think they deserve respect in the lineup when they carry on like this

- I think boardrider clubs in Australia have a lot to answer for in creating this sense of entitlement and ‘us verse everyone else’ mentality. Just because you choose not too spend 1 Saturday of every month competing in a junky crowded lineup does not mean you are any less entitled to your local beach.

This common scene is just ugly all round and sadly turns a pastime and a place of relaxation and enjoyment to the complete opposite.

Namaste

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Sorry you went through that @ben0 . Maybe could've just paddled away at the get go with silence, I know it's tough, but you seemed to have him pegged from the outset. It sounds like you know he dropped in, he knows he dropped in, he's just trying to justify it through his entitlement or creating a perception of unfairness because you paddled inside him.

I'm with @parkmonkey , I couldn't surf where you do, never really have. Closest I get is 1-mile and even then so much space to find your own pockets. Growing up in Portland, what is a boardrider club? - rhetorical. Everywhere has localism but the east coast culture is a little bit special IMO. I'm 1 year in to my south coast hamlet experience and I've been mostly accepted by the two handfuls of regulars. I'll want my share when the tourists come back but I'll be mindful to go about it in the right way.

Formally_FS04

Early Days
Sep 13, 2021
Bummer to read that and good on you standing up for yourself but I guess if it gets to a point that's to escalated just paddle away. It is a hard one but that's so shit from old mate and his mates.

Reckon you know the culprits from regularly surfing out there Craig?

ben0

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Agree re paddling away and that’s what I do 99.9% of the time.

When you surf there every day sometimes if you have been directly impacted in can be tough to just ignore and let them get away with being a d*ck.

But yeh its definitely not worth it due to the ruining of the vibe for days, maybe weeks after. It even makes you feel negative about surfing in general.

But sht happens and we move on and keep loving it.

For the record I know who the guy is.

*nozawaman*

First Runs
Sep 3, 2021

It was one of the better mornings of the week surf wise. The corner rip was running so you had to do a fair bit of paddling to stay on the inside and in position. Also only really the corner lefts we’re working due to the low tide. Quiet a competitive line up due to the limited number of waves for the crowd, and the excitement of good conditions.

One of the classic regular old salties was blowing up at people a fair bit and more aggressive than usual. An hour had passed and I was on the inside after much work to remain there and finally my wave in came, I caught it and old grumpy mate blatantly dropped in on me and never pulled off, and I let out a sarcastic “thanks mate”.

Old mate responded with the bird and angrily telling me to get fuc*ed. Frustrated, I returned the favour verbally. Old mate then asked if I wanted to go to the beach, in anger and feeling hardly done by I surprised myself by taking up the offer and caught a wave directly to him, seemingly calling his bluff. Once I arrived to bad grandpa he was starting to square up, to which I responded ‘mate, I’m not going to fight you’. After a few verbal exchanges and accusation that I ‘paddled on his inside’ I caught a wave in prone to the beach. He proceeded to follow me up the beach about 20m behind continuing the verbal tirade. To my right I could see one of the other top 3 angry old men (also his buddy) watch on, and he decided to join in without even knowing what happened. Further insults starting flying my way directing me to ‘go back to Mosman’ etc etc (despite living within walking distance and growing up on the NB).

Grump old mate then got some more courage with his other angry buddy nearby and so he decided to put on a show and physically shove me and then get right up within 1cm of my face goading me to fight, this all happening whilst the mummies walk by with their lattes and labradoodles in shock and horror. As I proceeded to walk to the shower the second old mate decided to inform me and a young bloke who came to my defence that we were both ‘marked by Queenscliff boardriders’.

- Firstly, I struggle to understand why these old angry guys with a chip on their shoulder even bother to surf if it causes them so much anger on a regular basis.

- Enforcing localism onto others on a crowded city beach is just a waste of energy. HaIf the time these guys don’t even live in the suburb or grew up there (not that It should matter anyway)

- Puzzles me when these guys think they deserve respect in the lineup when they carry on like this

- I think boardrider clubs in Australia have a lot to answer for in creating this sense of entitlement and ‘us verse everyone else’ mentality. Just because you choose not too spend 1 Saturday of every month competing in a junky crowded lineup does not mean you are any less entitled to your local beach.

This common scene is just ugly all round and sadly turns a pastime and a place of relaxation and enjoyment to the complete opposite.

Namaste
Wonder what old mate would have done here hahaha

Reactions: Peli89

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
@Craig B you've been hinting at a SN weather article on the upcoming months - keen, aside from surf interested to know the broader rain / fire outlook. I'm not good with that broader climate patterns stuff, I just follow the near term synoptics :)

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

Namaste
About a decade ago I’m at the Joey surfing with my old man and a mate. my old man likes to sit wide and get rare but better sets. Guy in his forties is catching three waves to everyone else’s one (there’s like only five of us out) starts whining to his mate about how my dad is getting all the sets and blah blah blah… I say something to call him on it and he goes off ‘he always does this, he’s this, he’s that’. I just laughed in his face and said ‘your getting outsurfed by a grandpa in his mid sixties mate, maybe the problem is with you’. He wasn’t happy LOL

Formally_FS04

Early Days
Sep 13, 2021
No rage incidents in the 'Gong since I've been down here, everyone is super friendly and up for a chat plus on top of that, I don't surf Sandon point or any of the high traffic areas (apart from Easty, but it's mostly locals anyway) especially when it's packed and really good. I prefer to seek solitude these days and I would rather go and surf a mediocre uncrowded line up than a perfect, packed line up anyways.....after getting to know the stretches and when they work over the past few years, there are loads of places to score uncrowded waves around here.
The only place I've seen some agro was down at The Farm & also at Woonona, but both are often a zoo most of the time especially on weekends so that's not a surprise....

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
@SnowBound did you surf Northy today? Looked super busy in SPoY's pics
Surfed Southy 5:30am this morning. So good with the early light. Nobody out and had a whole bank to myself for the whole hour. Offshore, 2-3ft. Picture perfect conditions.

Was a little straight but definitely some manageable ones rolling through.

Doesn't get much better

Formally_FS04

Early Days
Sep 13, 2021
Looking forward to going for a paddle on the weekend but windows look tricky.....could be a clean log paddle tomorrow morning before the S change kicks in.....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass