The Surf Thread

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
1+ft on the south coast this morning of close period NE wind swell and pretty fun. Got 7 or so in 30 minutes and was done - happy.
Have hung the 4/3's inside, my 3/2's are more like 2/2's they're so worn but they're doing the job. Definitely noticing a change in gear wear patterns since the full-time coast move.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
1+ft on the south coast this morning of close period NE wind swell and pretty fun. Got 7 or so in 30 minutes and was done - happy.
Have hung the 4/3's inside, my 3/2's are more like 2/2's they're so worn but they're doing the job. Definitely noticing a change in gear wear patterns since the full-time coast move.

May you wear out more wetsuits and boardies than boards.

Reactions: Belly

parkmonkey

Pool Room
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
I think I can count on one hand the number of times ive worn my 2/2 spring suit this winter/spring. Boardies wetsuit top or rashie, I think the water was at its coldest a couple of days ago after the northerly. I’m more addicted to foiling now than a year ago, always been committed to surfing but the drive to improve and fun I’m having is like skiing the terrain park in my early 20’s and surfing combine.

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
I think I can count on one hand the number of times ive worn my 2/2 spring suit this winter/spring. Boardies wetsuit top or rashie, I think the water was at its coldest a couple of days ago after the northerly. I’m more addicted to foiling now than a year ago, always been committed to surfing but the drive to improve and fun I’m having is like skiing the terrain park in my early 20’s and surfing combine.
I think today was the last day for the wetsuit top this year. Back to a rashie next week.

Reactions: parkmonkey

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I got out for a surf Friday evening and Saturday morning down south. There was a few fun ones but nothing to really write home about.

Headed out again last night on the mid and got a few fun ones. It turned on for about 15 minutes as the tide and bank aligned then nothing.

Reactions: Formally_FS04

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I got out for a grovel yesterday morning before the southerly hit, it was tiny and unfortunately chose the wrong board. I'd call it a fitness paddle again in the spirit of @Sir Surfalot
I will gladly paddle my long board across a lake (such as Lake Buffalo near Myrtleford ) at the present rate of Loch Doon stir craziness I have.

Reactions: Formally_FS04

Formally_FS04

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2021
Looks like regular Spring programming surf wise this week.....small, weak and onshore. Has been a pretty good recent run though especially for Spring time on the East coast, which is typically the worst period for swell

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Formally_FS04

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2021
I'm still in a 4/3 in Wollongong.
Has been getting a bit warm in recent sessions though.

I'd be sweating buckets! I'm happy with my 3/2 dawn patrol out at Easty :D

You're right it has been starting to warm up a touch, but then Sunday felt like it had cooled again with that northerly that blew, may have been a bit of upwelling. Hopefully this week's S pattern warms it back up again....

W0nkey D0nkey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 5, 2017
Wollongong
I'd be sweating buckets! I'm happy with my 3/2 dawn patrol out at Easty :D

You're right it has been starting to warm up a touch, but then Sunday felt like it had cooled again with that northerly that blew, may have been a bit of upwelling. Hopefully this week's S pattern warms it back up again....
I've got real bad circulation in my fingers and toes,
Wore my short arm the other day and I was numb and aching pain in those areas.
I can't swim in boardshorts unless in really warm.

Formally_FS04

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2021
Interesting discussion on Swellnet about the NSW North Coast noah vibe....personally I would very hesitant about surfing up there during whale migration season nowadays but the interesting thing is after Ballina area especially being a real hot spot there, no attack has been recorded for some time.....meanwhile Port Kembla, a whale carcus washed up yesterday and there were signs of increased shark activity in the area....

On another note, @Craig B and @Peli89 have you guys ever been over to Cactus? That place always has seemed intriguing to me, but also VERY sharky!

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Interesting discussion on Swellnet about the NSW North Coast noah vibe....personally I would very hesitant about surfing up there during whale migration season nowadays but the interesting thing is after Ballina area especially being a real hot spot there, no attack has been recorded for some time.....meanwhile Port Kembla, a whale carcus washed up yesterday and there were signs of increased shark activity in the area....

On another note, @Craig B and @Peli89 have you guys ever been over to Cactus? That place always has seemed intriguing to me, but also VERY sharky!
Yeah just dry, hot, snakes and no waves. Not worth it.

parkmonkey

Pool Room
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.

I thought I saw something rather large a little further out while surfing the cape by myself yesterday, I’m not easily spooked but my shoulders were f’d after trying to wing foil in the 40-50kmh northerly a couple days earlier and was starting to make some mistakes so bailed.
Ballina rivermouth

Reactions: Dave6

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Yeah just dry, hot, snakes and no waves. Not worth it.
I was 21, 22, esky lidding days when I visited. Enjoying inside castles when a noah swam right up to me, saw its nose and it turned around as swam away. Think / hope it was a grey nurse.
Came straight in, went back out a few hours later when there were a few others on it, thought better get back on the horse straight away!

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I was 21, 22, esky lidding days when I visited. Enjoying inside castles when a noah swam right up to me, saw its nose and it turned around as swam away. Think / hope it was a grey nurse.
Came straight in, went back out a few hours later when there were a few others on it, thought better get back on the horse straight away!
That's my fear!
Don't forget the sand flies, march flies, blow flies and the heavy locals

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
To be fair I've never had a bad run in with any locals in SA. Everyone is usually super friendly. I've had more anger on crowded banks on the east coast.

I got out for a great little surf this morning. Glassy conditions and about 2 foot. The high tide was killing it a bit but there was enough energy in the water.

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Was out at Northy this morning. Junky as but in the 2-3ft range and a bit of power behind them.

Jees the water was nice. Definitely warmed up since last weekend.
And here's me trying to be smart, anticipating cold water upwelling, wearing booties.

Tomorrow it'll pay off I hope ;) Chunky 3ft+ Manly and fun as.

Formally_FS04

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2021
My Woo operative indicates it's pumpin this morning, hopefully a few of you are scoring!

@SnowBound these are the conditions that typically make Southy really fun (weaker period NE windswell around 7-9 seconds is perfect for it), hope you get some

@Craig B looks like Man town is cooking too on @Sprout_Daily are you still out of action?

Fast Eddie

One of Us
Jul 27, 2015
Pumping for the first surf post-lockdown.

5F9D185B-5B1B-4DE0-8B4D-2DFB61F54164.jpeg

31C599A5-5B45-4AD7-AC5E-528295C57AC3.jpeg

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
How excitement! I can legally rejoin this thread!! :)

Waves at the Bra the past two days. Yesterday was 2 foot with a hoooowwwwling westerly. It was really pretty shit. Today is 3 foot touching on an occasional 4 foot, onshore, closing out half the time, but opening up again into little rips so some ok ones if you stick with it.

So good to be legally back in the water.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
I only looked at the Eden and Batemans buoy today but yeah guessing some significant energy into Sydney and the hunter, bit more refracted down south.

Reactions: Annabuzzy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass