The Surf Thread

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Loved Garie, especially north end when it had good sand/rock combo working, tend to go south of 'Gong rather than north but have been meaning to head up that way....I heard it gets swarmed these days and RNP in general from the ever growing SW Sydney population, but may just have to bite the bullet and get up there over Summer for a day trip just for something different....!

Sure does get swamped. I started surfing there in the mid 1970's. Was in my mid teens, so if I didn't get a lift down, I hitchhiked in and out, sometimes with a very long wait in an empty car park. Fortunately the resident ranger (father of school friend) let me keep my board at the ranger station. Summer weekends we surfed at Werrong, Burning Palms or Era to avoid the crowds. When I finally got a car in the late 1970's, I would hit Garie at dawn for an hour, then back home, shower and then catch the train to the city for work. A mate (now an ambassador) worked in the MSB building at Circular Quay and would call me up if the NE'er wasn't howling so we could knock off early to get a late session in.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
I've got my second PU pop out sitting in a box in my study.
I've been pretty disappointed with the glassing on my so called 'glassed strong' DHD (as posted a few times). My bog standard glassed DP's are going strong 9 and 7 years later respectively.
Anyway with this board I'm going to open it up tomorrow, bag it and put it in the shed for 2 weeks. Any other tips for glass curing (if this is a thing)?

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
I've got my second PU pop out sitting in a box in my study.
I've been pretty disappointed with the glassing on my so called 'glassed strong' DHD (as posted a few times). My bog standard glassed DP's are going strong 9 and 7 years later respectively.
Anyway with this board I'm going to open it up tomorrow, bag it and put it in the shed for 2 weeks. Any other tips for glass curing (if this is a thing)?
just put them in the warmest room of the house .
no direct sunlight ( of course cue homer doh !)
two weeks stock standard minimum as long as I have been doing this gig ( 50 years ! ouch)

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
just put them in the warmest room of the house .
no direct sunlight ( of course cue homer doh !)
two weeks stock standard minimum as long as I have been doing this gig ( 50 years ! ouch)
Yeah cool thanks, bagged and in the shed rafters should do the trick then. Quiver getting pretty thick now so in no hurry to surf it and hoping to get a few quid off my target fins this Friday so will be waiting for those anyway.
There's a couple of incidental dings on the bottom of the DHD but the deck is like a golf ball and I think I noticed the first significant compression ding after about surf 6. Surfing it straight away was probably a rookie mistake.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Yeah cool thanks, bagged and in the shed rafters should do the trick then. Quiver getting pretty thick now so in no hurry to surf it and hoping to get a few quid off my target fins this Friday so will be waiting for those anyway.
There's a couple of incidental dings on the bottom of the DHD but the deck is like a golf ball and I think I noticed the first significant compression ding after about surf 6. Surfing it straight away was probably a rookie mistake.
aawww new boards always so tempting to get on them.
thing is tho the curse.
always goes flat spell ....

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I was in the water by 5.30 this morning. It was still pretty dark when i got out the back but was treated to a great sunrise.

Sets were peaky 2', with some really fun little runners. The easterly winds of the last week had given the swell a bit of lump / wedge. It looks like this is the only good day for the next week around home.

Im off (fingers crossed) to QLD this weekend, so will pack a small wave board just in case there are a few fun little waves around.

Formally_FS04

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2021
Did the 'drive home of shame' this morning.

Drove down to the local. Keen to get wet. Took one look and turned around, ha.

Just blown out - and that was a protected corner...

Bugger mate, don't you hate that. Very frustrating. I would have gone for a swim!

Reports down here it's good this morning with wind more S/SW but back to work today, no chance of getting wet :(

Reactions: SnowBound

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Bugger mate, don't you hate that. Very frustrating. I would have gone for a swim!

Reports down here it's good this morning with wind more S/SW but back to work today, no chance of getting wet :(
The surf cam.s on the M.P. and W.P. all look clean but tiny to flat . I know the forecast is for the swell to arrive after lunch today but I am not driving down there if I cannot see some sets worth the drive even if the tide is at present fully out.
I have ordered a new 3/2 steamer from Need Essentials.

Reactions: Formally_FS04

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
The surf cam.s on the M.P. and W.P. all look clean but tiny to flat . I know the forecast is for the swell to arrive after lunch today but I am not driving down there if I cannot see some sets worth the drive even if the tide is at present fully out.
I have ordered a new 3/2 steamer from Need Essentials.
Nowhere near tiny to flat this morning was 4ft+. Keep an eye on longer for sets.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Nowhere near tiny to flat this morning was 4ft+. Keep an eye on longer for sets.
Rye and Portsea look good now, clean and well defined but maybe too much for this rusty kook.
;-P

My preferred spots at W.P. still look they are lacking the wave power to carry my body weight and mini mal. I type this at almost high tide now at 1445 on 23/11/21.

Now that skiing in SE Australia is over until next year I will be more focused on surfing.

Last edited:

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney

Moving up the coast on December 11. Will spend a week over Christmas getting familiar with the new local spots ;)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I am now looking at Tuesday at cat Bay at the Island for a paddle.

Formally_FS04

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2021
Just had a very enjoyable 2nd run on the 7'0. Seriously felt like an old glove and at a nice head high + started to open it up a bit more. Will likely go back to the older boards this weekend with a bit of size and weekend crowds.

Definitely some size on the way! Big S swell on the cards, looks wind affected though....maybe inside B Bay you might get a novelty ;)

Reactions: Belly and Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Just had a very enjoyable 2nd run on the 7'0. Seriously felt like an old glove and at a nice head high + started to open it up a bit more. Will likely go back to the older boards this weekend with a bit of size and weekend crowds.
I’m still working out my new Evo. It totally flies, fastest board ever, but because of its slightly shorter length than I usually surf, I’m getting into waves later and screwing up some takeoffs. The solution seems to be to paddle harder those last few strokes!

Contary to reports I think it’s wave size sweet spot isn’t that big. It seems to prefer a flatter aka Bells type wave face, with waist to shoulder high being it’s sweet spot. Sucky, and a more traditional board is better. Bigger, and a more traditional board is better.

Reactions: Craig B and Belly

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
I’m still working out my new Evo. It totally flies, fastest board ever, but because of its slightly shorter length than I usually surf, I’m getting into waves later and screwing up some takeoffs. The solution seems to be to paddle harder those last few strokes!

Contary to reports I think it’s wave size sweet spot isn’t that big. It seems to prefer a flatter aka Bells type wave face, with waist to shoulder high being it’s sweet spot. Sucky, and a more traditional board is better. Bigger, and a more traditional board is better.
Yeah I was getting into them so early yesterday was jokingly thinking to myself I could make a cuppa during the take-off.
But thinking about it last night I think maintaining that short board discipline and skill of take-off positioning is important.
I don't do late take-offs, age, my size, skill level etc, so I like to keep practicing the art of getting in the nook as I call it. Then I can ride anything. That and keep mixing up the quiver which I can do now, my 5'10 hypto hasn't seen action since last summer so looking forward to a few skimmers on that in boardies :)

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com

Yeah put in those extra paddles and push down into the wave.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Hunted a protected southern corner today, so surfed South Steyne. In the corner it was between shoulder high and 1.5x overhead. As you drifted further north the wave size increased to maybe 2x to 2.5x overhead - maybe a bit more. And the further north you drifted the more the wind was getting into the wave faces.

Not too bad really and not crazy busy, as can happen on days like today. I didn’t physically visit any of my normal east side haunts but they looked terrible on the cams.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Been out a couple of times in Torquay recently with mixed results but managed a trip to UrbnSurf midweek. Had a work site visit to watch some traffic lights (yes, really!) in the AM and PM peak periods at a site in Melbourne so booked a couple of sessions in between. Finally got to have a go at the advanced turns setting which I've been wanting to try since it's inception. Found it way better than the intermediate session (although that was still fun). Take-off not much different but a much more whackable wall even at my limited level of ability. Will go back for that again at some point. Not that fussed about the advanced barrel setting given the number of beatings I've seen it dish out to punters of my skill level but the advanced turns was great.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Looks like it's cranking this morning on the cams!
Yeah I'm cranky because I'm not surfing this morning, my new fav would be good!

Surfed a protected locale on Sat, was just breaking but that was good as it kept the crowd very low and I pretty much had the boil to myself for some good practice at a spot I infrequently surf.
Sunday was an in-between day down here (maybe a bit like todays Northern Beaches report :) ), said protected spot not breaking, the semi exposed spots I checked were a bit unruly for my liking, ended up surfing a protected beachy that was too straight but I managed 1 really nice corner runner to make it worth it.

Taking 6 weeks off from the end of this week - can't wait!

Formally_FS04

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2021
Yeah I'm cranky because I'm not surfing this morning, my new fav would be good!

Surfed a protected locale on Sat, was just breaking but that was good as it kept the crowd very low and I pretty much had the boil to myself for some good practice at a spot I infrequently surf.
Sunday was an in-between day down here (maybe a bit like todays Northern Beaches report :) ), said protected spot not breaking, the semi exposed spots I checked were a bit unruly for my liking, ended up surfing a protected beachy that was too straight but I managed 1 really nice corner runner to make it worth it.

Taking 6 weeks off from the end of this week - can't wait!

6 weeks that's awesome mate, plenty of time in the water to come, I expect daily updates :D

I'm off from 23rd Dec to 3rd Jan so I'll be clocking up plenty of time in the water then :)

Reactions: Peli89 and Belly

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I surfed Saturday afternoon at Alex - busy and small... there wasnt much size, 1 foot tops.. but it was amazing to surf with no wetsuit. i stayed out for about 2 hours and grovelled.

Sunday Morning i did a lap of the coast, but everything was looking pretty wind affected, so I went to Tea Tree and just swam in the clear blue water - lots of longboarders out...

Sunday afternoon i went back to Alex for a grovel - the size had kicked a bit. I'd say maybe 2' on the sets. It was actually pretty fun and I surfed until dark.

This morning - the wind was offshore and the surf was small and fun. I decided on a body bash which was great fun.

I havent seen the sun once up here, but its been great in the warmth and humidity.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Werri was bigly but ridable over the weekend (didn't head out). Bondage a big mess this morning. A couple out at Bronte Reef on the ride past.

DSC_3276.JPG

Formally_FS04

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2021
I surfed Saturday afternoon at Alex - busy and small... there wasnt much size, 1 foot tops.. but it was amazing to surf with no wetsuit. i stayed out for about 2 hours and grovelled.

Sunday Morning i did a lap of the coast, but everything was looking pretty wind affected, so I went to Tea Tree and just swam in the clear blue water - lots of longboarders out...

Sunday afternoon i went back to Alex for a grovel - the size had kicked a bit. I'd say maybe 2' on the sets. It was actually pretty fun and I surfed until dark.

This morning - the wind was offshore and the surf was small and fun. I decided on a body bash which was great fun.

I havent seen the sun once up here, but its been great in the warmth and humidity.

Would love some warmth and humidity, had to bust out the trackies, ugg boots and hoodies over the weekend here in the 'Gong, was ridiculous for late November

Reactions: Peli89 and Craig B

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Surfed a popular reef break this morning on the south coast you need to walk too, we had it to ourselves. Probably 2-3ft sets. Then at low tide surfed my local chocolate coloured rivermouth before the easterly winds got too strong. Good day off.
And you got to enjoy it in sunshine!!!
I went to the beach after work, was really nice enjoying the sun with the boy and dogs, been so grey!!
Was some nice sets pushing in late in the day.

Formally_FS04

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2021
W.P .looked too small today on the surf cam.s to bother driving down for a paddle. Friday at Cat Bay could be worth the 2 hour mission in the car.
Roll on Autumn!! That is when my preferred surfing spots begin to become rather good.

Autumn a fair way off for ya Mister T! When it suits I'd be hitting up the Mornington back beaches like Portsea, Gunna etc.

Formally_FS04

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2021
Heading out for an arvo sesh soon, will report back later (possibly with pics too).

@W0nkey D0nkey keen for an Easty paddle? I'll be out there on my Slater Gamma or I might go check Bellza to see if the beachie is working, wind's not too bad

Last edited:
Reactions: Annabuzzy

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
hey all, late jan 2022 I'm heading from melbourne-newcastle-back via the coast, alone, with camping gear, 4wd and some surfboards, and a week or 2 to do it in. Any good research resources, hot tips etc?

ill be going to Mimosa rocks NP as a start, as that has place meaning to me, and a friend in Yowrie perhaps, but other than that no real plansz. cheers

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
hey all, late jan 2022 I'm heading from melbourne-newcastle-back via the coast, alone, with camping gear, 4wd and some surfboards, and a week or 2 to do it in. Any good research resources, hot tips etc?

ill be going to Mimosa rocks NP as a start, as that has place meaning to me, and a friend in Yowrie perhaps, but other than that no real plansz. cheers
Ben Boyd N.P. There are some surf spots there and good camping. It is near Eden. Tathra has some good waves too.

I read somewhere that The person Ben Boyd ( from back in the 1800s) was a badmash / racist miscreant/ oppressor of Aborigines etc. and there are plans to change the Nat. park's name to something more neutral or less upsetting to the local indigenous population.

Last edited:

Formally_FS04

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2021

Sounds like an epic trip! Loads of spots to check out for sure. The unfortunate thing is you can't 4WD onto many beaches on the South coast (where as on the North Coast you can a lot more) but I'm sure you'll find some solitude in Ben Boyd
Heading out for an arvo sesh soon, will report back later (possibly with pics too).

@W0nkey D0nkey keen for an Easty paddle? I'll be out there on my Slater Gamma or I might go check Bellza to see if the beachie is working, wind's not too bad

Well the pics didn't eventuate due to the drizzle setting in (should have taken some before surfing/whilst checking it) but surfed Easty yesterday afternoon and it was fun as, 2-3ft sets starting to fill up with the tide but the banks are still firing with plenty of L's and R's on offer, wind wasn't too much of an issue at all nor was the crowd.....happy days :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fozzie Bear and mr

malas1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 1, 2015

In between Tuross head and Moruya rivermouth worth looking around

Reactions: mr
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass