Surf The Surf Thread

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
cheers....im still only an outside chance due to covid / kids / work but we do have a donga in the surf beach / LSC campground...any tips on smaller waves spots in the hood appreciated

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Super impressive WOTD on swellnet today.
How do you go paddling out in that Craig? Is there much sweep? I imagine you have to navigate a pretty heavy shorey to even start your journey. It gives me butterflies even thinking about it..

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Super impressive WOTD on swellnet today.
How do you go paddling out in that Craig? Is there much sweep? I imagine you have to navigate a pretty heavy shorey to even start your journey. It gives me butterflies even thinking about it..

No shore break as is at bottom of cliff at Shelly Headland. Paddle is jump off rocks at Winki Pop and paddle around headland. Getting out is the easy part.

@Craig B were you doing shark bait impersonations with a housing while I was looking down from above?

• Haha
Reactions: Craig B

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
28.3.22.Just enjoying the scenery at Flinders. The rocks at The Gunnery were looking very exposed. That break only works properly with the tide coming in.
_SAM1525.JPG
_SAM1526.JPG
_SAM1527.JPG
_SAM1528.JPG
_SAM1529.JPG
_SAM1530.JPG
_SAM1531.JPG
_SAM1532.JPG

Once the wind changed to onshore then the party was over.

_SAM1533.JPG
_SAM1524.JPG
I used to get terrified paddling across that deep channel and Flinders outer reef. Feels very, very sharky.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I used to get terrified paddling across that deep channel and Flinders outer reef. Feels very, very sharky.
I have to admit I have never surfed at that spot. It is a long way out and as you say goes past The Shark central club house IMHO. Point Leo is my kind of place for the kook of the decade that I am .

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
cheers....im still only an outside chance due to covid / kids / work but we do have a donga in the surf beach / LSC campground...any tips on smaller waves spots in the hood appreciated
Don't think I've ever seen anyone surf that beach, occasionally pop down for a coffee. Does tend to dump a bit there and be quite shifty, has potential though. I'd be focusing more on the coast road north of town ;)

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
No shore break as is at bottom of cliff at Shelly Headland. Paddle is jump off rocks at Winki Pop and paddle around headland. Getting out is the easy part.

@Craig B were you doing shark bait impersonations with a housing while I was looking down from above?
Yeah that was me bobbing in very deep murky water as to not get cleaned up by rogue 15fters.

Peli, actually not that hectic paddling from Shelly, just a long way around and took about 20 minutes. Once out the back and in my position there was only a very mild sweep which kicked in stronger after the huge sets. Inside though where the waves were breaking was a torrent and you'd be ripped from Deadies to Winki to Bower in less than a minute!

Formally_FS04

One of Us
Sep 13, 2021
Balgownie
Whilst having never actually properly surfed 'deadies' I used to get out to Winki loads and had a couple of surfs at Bower. Just gets waaaaay too packed these days and you'd end up getting maybe a couple of waves in a few hours type scenario, with plenty of drop ins in the mix. Used to love Winki especially good on the Boogie.

@Peli89 the sweep is actually not too bad out there hey, probably worse if out at Bower at some size as you're further down the headland so you get the combo of Deadies/Winki all filtering out at the end there, but waaaaay worse at places like the Noosa points, Superbank etc.

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Thanks for the insights! What a crazy good way to watch the surf. I have just assumed that heavy water means crazy sweeps.i guess topography plays a big part in that and how the water funnels in and out.

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
Its a growing industry with climate change.....

As they joke goes, NZ is a good place to be a surveyor

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
The anti Earth rock apes are at it again In Vic. trying to make a new fossil fuel plant near Geelong. We surfers love the ocean don't want more fossil fuel plants aiding and abetting the destruction of the planet and speeding up climate change.

Click on the link and do your bit. You have just a few days to make a submission and say no , smell my finger and take your bleeding Gas / coal /oil plant and ram it .
This is a tick the boxes & the letter gets written for you kind of environmental activist technology.. You can see my submission below.

My name is ******* and I care about the environment in the Geelong area. I am a surfer and the ocean and bay areas of Corio bay , the Bellarine Peninsula and the Surf Coast should be comprehensively protected from further environmental degradation and unsound fossil fuel development projects.

I thank the Viva Energy Gas Terminal Inquiry and Advisory Committee and the Minister for Planning for the opportunity to make a submission to the EES of the gas import terminal proposed by Viva. There are a variety of issues which should deem this proposal unacceptable and that I will point to in my submission, but the issue that concerns me most is the climate change impact.

Sea grasses in Corio Bay are the original source of genetic material for sea grasses in Port Philip Bay which means they are important for establishing new populations. The ongoing dredging required to maintain depth for large LNG tankers would affect sea grasses and the marine creatures that depend on them. Sediment from dredging would smother sea grasses and reduce sunlight. In addition the constant illumination and noise from the gas terminal could disrupt the migration patterns of birds in the internationally recognised Ramsar wetlands nearby.

Millions of Australians consider climate change a dangerous reality we face right now. We are on track for several degrees Celsius of warming by the end of the century if we do not curb our carbon emissions rapidly. The plummeting costs of renewables and energy storage has rendered fossil fuel projects not only a threat to our environment but also bad business. Corporations like Viva should be looking to diversify their portfolios instead of investing in soon-to-be stranded assets.

There is inadequate detail on the mitigation and management of eight climate-related risks to the project such as severe storms high rainfall and storm surges. A project that increases emissions and makes global warming worse should be able to prepare for the impacts of the climate crisis it is exacerbating.

As outlined above, the climate change impact would be unacceptable. There are many other viable, more suitable, options Victoria can pursue to ensure that we meet our energy needs without approving projects that could hamper our energy transition or expose the local community to harm.

Sincerely,
>>>>>> >>>>>>>

Last edited:

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I surfed Noosa twice today.. I was really lacking the drive to get too many waves. I surfed for about 2 hours and snagged a couple of fun ones. The sweep was horrendous today so I ran a couple of laps as I got dragged down. School holidays at the moment so the surf was a real zoo. Lots of collisions, lots of drop ins, and a few snapped boards

A few average phone pics of some of the action below

20220409_090520_exported_2965.jpg

20220409_090649_exported_18595.jpg

20220409_091252_exported_16209.jpg

20220409_091920_exported_6964.jpg

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Oh yeah for sure. Surfing Flinders and even Westernport with a direct view to the nobbies. You just know there are some big old ones swimming around.

But they are rarely seen that close in to the MP.

Was having a log session one day on a smaller day at the Gunnery and some bloke paddled right into the middle of the pack at the line up and said he reckons he saw a big fin just ahead of the take off spot. He paddled in but the rest of us stayed out.
Probably the only “incident” I’ve ever had surfing the MP waves

boski

half a local
Ski Pass
Apr 13, 2014
on planks mostly
Oh yeah for sure. Surfing Flinders and even Westernport with a direct view to the nobbies. You just know there are some big old ones swimming around.

But they are rarely seen that close in to the MP.

Was having a log session one day on a smaller day at the Gunnery and some bloke paddled right into the middle of the pack at the line up and said he reckons he saw a big fin just ahead of the take off spot. He paddled in but the rest of us stayed out.
Probably the only “incident” I’ve ever had surfing the MP waves
They are out there! Many stories over the years but only once personally witnessed a sighting.
Don’t recall the exact year but was early 80’s on a glassy hot summers morning at Gunna first car park. Waves were inconsistent and during a lull we heard a commotion from the pack surfing the rights over the reef. They were all shouting and paddling in hard af…then we see this fin about 3ft ( back then it was probs 1&1/2ft) coming from stations direction glide through their lineup and heading for the channel between that bank and the left we were on.
Holy fark then it was our turn… wasn’t game enough to look back, like everyone else just paddled in like crazy hailing Mary.
Apparently the beast kept going towards the next reef at 2nd car park before disappearing out the back.

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
The dream run continues. It's beyond a joke now. 6'+ yesterday.. both morning and arvo were pumping.. I hit more protected points - so probably 3' and got some screamers.

This morning I hit the open beaches. 6 foot again. I didn't catch a wave, spent my time getting ragdolled on closeouts but it was still good fun..

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
The dream run continues. It's beyond a joke now. 6'+ yesterday.. both morning and arvo were pumping.. I hit more protected points - so probably 3' and got some screamers.

This morning I hit the open beaches. 6 foot again. I didn't catch a wave, spent my time getting ragdolled on closeouts but it was still good fun..
Looks like it will keep on going as well.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Whilst having never actually properly surfed 'deadies' I used to get out to Winki loads and had a couple of surfs at Bower. Just gets waaaaay too packed these days and you'd end up getting maybe a couple of waves in a few hours type scenario, with plenty of drop ins in the mix. Used to love Winki especially good on the Boogie.

@Peli89 the sweep is actually not too bad out there hey, probably worse if out at Bower at some size as you're further down the headland so you get the combo of Deadies/Winki all filtering out at the end there, but waaaaay worse at places like the Noosa points, Superbank etc.

I know it's almost two weeks ago but this water footage of Deadmans on the 2nd April is ridiculous.

jonathanc

toboggan enthusiast
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
Really good morning session at Broulee today, waves weren't huge but they were good and powerful - 16 second interval according to swellnet?

Got some cool roll-ins early on where waves started to crumble on the outer bank, I caught them and popped up and then they jacked right up on the inner bank and became good fast peelers.

Conditions were pretty physical with the falling tide - the best peaks kept moving, there was a sweep and regular clean-up sets.

Got maybe five or six absolute crackers before the surf dropped noticeably after an hour or so, by which point I needed a rest anyway! Stayed out for another 90 minutes and now I'm cactus.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Not a bad looking surf as Manly this morning. Chest high on the sets but quite a few punters out there. Water just over 21c.

Picked up a new swim wetsuit for +0.95 (Mk III) yesterday to keep her in the water a bit longer - https://www.orca-australia.com.au/orca-swimrun-core-wetsuit-run-swim-women-ORW-77KN.html a good mix of 1.5, 2 and 3mm.

A few pictures from yesterday's snorkel from Manly to Shelley Beach.

P4161855.JPG
P4161831.JPG
P4161852.JPG
P4161848.JPG
P4161843.JPG
Actually solid 4ft on the sets when they came. Great morning.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Actually was the worst of the whole period size wise. Much better during the event and 2-3x the size. Still Tyler crushed it.
Aha, I'm just trying to watch some replays from the UK. Those biggish lumps in the qualifiers look good.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
I know it's almost two weeks ago but this water footage of Deadmans on the 2nd April is ridiculous.

That first wave was the very definition of ‘going over the falls’. Stuff of nightmares that one.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

A WSL documentary coming on 29 April.

From what I’ve read they’re already filming S2.

Maybe rather than cutting surfers this extra revenue can see the numbers maintained? It’s kind of ridiculous that two of last years top 5 won’t be good enough to surf the back end of this season, and the Olympic bronze medallist may not either.

The depth in the WSL is such they could easily go to a top 44 again and on their day any could win.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Weekend before Easter snuk away for a quick little road trip to Mollymook, had 4 sessions and was surfed out.
Had a quiet Easter with visitors, few sessions but nothing special. Good session had just now with some fun corners. Bigger and more powerful than it looked with this period and copped quite the hammering on my last paddle out. A maybe sprained wrist from clutching the board and will see how it pulls up.
IMG_20220419_123549_2~2.jpg

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

First time I had my head slammed into a reef was at Winki. I literally couldn’t see in the immediate aftermath. I had to get my friends to yell out to me so I could paddle in the right direction.

of course like any self respecting frothing grom I sought absolutely no medical treatment, but now I think of it temporarily losing sight after having your head driven face first into a rock shelf was pretty serious.

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
It's been a busy Easter on the Sunny Coast. There's been non stop waves, I've surfed 2 to 3 times a day every day for the last week.
I've mainly surfed the open beaches. Lots of fun waves, lots of floggings, a lot of kms paddled. I might book in a massage later today now the swell is under 2 foot.

I'm still gobsmacked daily at how much surf there is

Formally_FS04

One of Us
Sep 13, 2021
Balgownie
It's been a busy Easter on the Sunny Coast. There's been non stop waves, I've surfed 2 to 3 times a day every day for the last week.
I've mainly surfed the open beaches. Lots of fun waves, lots of floggings, a lot of kms paddled. I might book in a massage later today now the swell is under 2 foot.

I'm still gobsmacked daily at how much surf there is

You definitely picked the right time of year to move to the Sunny Coast! Swell season :)

Reactions: Peli89

Formally_FS04

One of Us
Sep 13, 2021
Balgownie
Well, Easter certainly delivered the goods around the 'Gong and parts! Had a couple of cracking surfs over the long weekend and not too crowded either. I think the E swell direction produced waves everywhere so no particular stretch suffered, along with a lot of folk getting out of town whilst the weather was so good.

@W0nkey D0nkey how good are the banks at Easty right now!! That left bank off the creek/lugga is mint. I reckon E swell direction seems to be the best direction for the stretch, produces better peaks where as S swells often are too straight.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass