Surf The Surf Thread

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
haha well ive got an 8am at the tulla pool tomorrow and it will be about 5 or 6 degrees air temp and 9 or 10 in the water with a bit of rain about.

Reactions: Dave6

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
haha well ive got an 8am at the tulla pool tomorrow and it will be about 5 or 6 degrees air temp and 9 or 10 in the water with a bit of rain about.
I am in Melbourne in a couple of weeks and was thinking of giving the pool a go. I think you just talked me out of it.

• Haha
Reactions: Peli89 and boski
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
If I can get my car mended by Monday May 16th then it looks
like there will be waves and good winds at W.P. on Tuesday May 17th according to the long range surf forecast. I am not having FOMO today, due to the car being kaput . This is because today the surf and snow are not happening ,man.

Reactions: Peli89

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I am in Melbourne in a couple of weeks and was thinking of giving the pool a go. I think you just talked me out of it.
PM me if you are in Melb.. If my car is working by then , then early to mid week trips to Westernport and Phillip Island do happen for me , surfing at " protected spots".
I am always happy to meet forum members and maybe paddle out together. I am a basket case at surfing but at least I am safe & respectful in the water and enthusiastic about the pastime.

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
PM me if you are in Melb.. If my car is working by then , then early to mid week trips to Westernport and Phillip Island do happen for me , surfing at " protected spots".
I am always happy to meet forum members and maybe paddle out together. I am a basket case at surfing but at least I am safe & respectful in the water and enthusiastic about the pastime.
I am only there for a quick weekend trip and catching up with friends we haven't seen for four years so won't have much time. Thanks for the offer though. We would battle it out for surfing ability by the sounds of it.

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Pumping at Cooly this morning. The bigger sets were a bit over head high and some (other) guys making some nice barrels. Red hot competition for waves though and some horrendous drop-ins.

Despite that manged to jag a few decent waves and the last one right into the beach so was happy with that for a finish.

Screenshot_20220507-134715_Connect.jpg

jonathanc

toboggan enthusiast
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
The right spots on the south coast were brilliant today. Surf wasn't that big or powerful but it was hitting just right on some classic sucky, hollow bodyboarder spots. Was also nice to have clean, blue water for the first time in a while!

We surfed the beachy near one and watched a solo boog rider get barreled until he ran out of energy - was so good he hopped up on the rocks and just watched empty barrels roll in for probably 90 mins.

As the tide came in and the size picked up our peak moved and turned into a dumpy shore-pound kinda thing, so we headed for a protected spot to try out a giant $200 foamie on some little novelty waves - I've been keen for a board that will be fun for crowded, weak summer surf.

It turned into a super fun session - the board was so floppy it visibly flexed just from me sitting on it (I'm only 70kgs) but got stacks of little mini-peelers off an old favourite 'mini pointbreak' while hanging with a pod of dolphins that were interested enough to keep coming within a few metres for a look. Thought I was going to get the fabled dolphin party wave, but alas, no such luck.

Definitely going to splash out on a decent ~60l foamie though, I'm sold.

Pic of the banana board bending into one of the mini-point monster waves:
IMG-20220507-WA0003.jpg

jonathanc

toboggan enthusiast
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
Question for the south coast folks - what sort of wetsuits are you using for winter?

I know it depends on the person, but to give an idea, yesterday I was very warm in a long-sleeve 2mm spring suit when the sun was out. Was still comfortable in the late arvo when I was in the cliff shadow, air temp was 16 degrees and there was a brisk 20-25km/h breeze.

However, water was warm (around 21 degrees) and I was paddling or riding literally non-stop (nobody else out). I got cold fairly quickly when I got out of the water and stood around for 10 mins looking at nature, so maybe if I had to sit and wait for waves or the water temp was just a couple of degrees lower I would have been cold.

@Belly I think you're proper south, ie Ulladulla to Eden? Would love to hear what you're using in the colder months.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Question for the south coast folks - what sort of wetsuits are you using for winter?

I know it depends on the person, but to give an idea, yesterday I was very warm in a long-sleeve 2mm spring suit when the sun was out. Was still comfortable in the late arvo when I was in the cliff shadow, air temp was 16 degrees and there was a brisk 20-25km/h breeze.

However, water was warm (around 21 degrees) and I was paddling or riding literally non-stop (nobody else out). I got cold fairly quickly when I got out of the water and stood around for 10 mins looking at nature, so maybe if I had to sit and wait for waves or the water temp was just a couple of degrees lower I would have been cold.

@Belly I think you're proper south, ie Ulladulla to Eden? Would love to hear what you're using in the colder months.
I am using a 4/3 steamer for Victorian waters from now until Late Nov..

Paperboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 3, 2016
Canberra/South Coast/East Jindabyne

Just a 3:2 full steamer for us on the NSW south coast between Batemans bay to Narooma. I have booties and gloves for really cold days.

Currently I’m still using long sleeve springsuit.

Reactions: jonathanc and Belly

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I had my first surf today since around late December. I was in Canada through January, then out with a hernia, then out with a hernia repair and recovery and Covid. So quite some time out of the water.

It was shoulder to head high at the Bra today. Maybe a slight bit bigger. I’m calling it 10 foot though lol. Was I worried how I’d go? Shit yeah!

First wave I’m paddling paddling paddling. I’m thinking “will I actually stand up? Will my repaired stomach hold out?” And then? YES! First wave I don’t kook out! Sure it was just a bottom turn to watch the wave close out in front of me, but I was surfing!!

While the swell was nice and clean and the day was beautiful the waves were nothing to write home about. I stayed out only 40 mins - I didn’t want to push it. Felt a couple of twinges, but all ok. So excited I’ve got back in the water and can still surf!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Sunshine was fun yesterday morning at low tide. The rips running through were horrendous but I did manage to pick up some really fun little nuggets.

Surf was in the 3 to 4 foot range and suffering a bit of morning sickness.

I somehow found myself in a school of fish with birds diving so I bailed pretty quickly.
When I walked around to Alexandria Bay in Noosa after for a look the chopper had its siren on presumably for sharks.

Long range forecasts looking red hot! Wow

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Thanks @Belly and @Paperboy - that's really helpful.
Glad you're getting into it, was good to briefly meet those few years ago at clubby (if my hazy memory serves me correct ha ha).

I reckon for weekend warrioring split the difference, a mid market 4/3 and 3/2 and you'll be fine. I only run midish+ gear and it's fine. Only need the premium stretch if you're semi pro imo.

jonathanc

toboggan enthusiast
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
Glad you're getting into it, was good to briefly meet those few years ago at clubby (if my hazy memory serves me correct ha ha).

I reckon for weekend warrioring split the difference, a mid market 4/3 and 3/2 and you'll be fine. I only run midish+ gear and it's fine. Only need the premium stretch if you're semi pro imo.
That rings a bell - I've met so many people out there! I used to surf a bit as a kid, but only during summer. Never put the time in to progress, and then dropped all board sports for around 10 years after a messy knee injury and surgery.

I was just going to grab a 4/3 - not at all fussed about the stretch, I've got no skills or style and was actually hoping a stiff suit might keep the ol' shoulders from popping out so often haha.

Reactions: Dave6 and Belly

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
I cant get into / out of the 4/3 zipless suits...even the stretchy ones. Too old. I got stuck in the change room. And im decently fit for a 50yo.....dunno how you do it

Ive twice tested the patagonia back-zip 4.5/3.5 in the wave pool at 12-13 degrees water temp now and its very nice indeed. Sure it cost a bomb but feels like it will last.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
I cant get into / out of the 4/3 zipless suits...even the stretchy ones. Too old. I got stuck in the change room. And im decently fit for a 50yo.....dunno how you do it

Ive twice tested the patagonia back-zip 4.5/3.5 in the wave pool at 12-13 degrees water temp now and its very nice indeed. Sure it cost a bomb but feels like it will last.

$749 for the R3 wetsuit in Patagonia website. A good steamer is north of $600 IMO.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
And Manly was pretty mint this morning. Chest to head high and clean as. Does okay when wind turns south.

Notices all the WSL stands going up at Mid Steyne last night. Hardly Normal Sydney Junior Pro being held 16-24 May.

Reactions: Formally_FS04

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
4 words - Rip Curl Dawn Patrol. Well priced, quality, warm. But it needs to fit for 1's body shape.
Got a few fun ones today, had a relatively lean run over the last few weeks with family stuff and mild injuries. Last got wet last Thurs but today was better :)

Formally_FS04

One of Us
Sep 13, 2021
Balgownie
4 words - Rip Curl Dawn Patrol. Well priced, quality, warm. But it needs to fit for 1's body shape.
Got a few fun ones today, had a relatively lean run over the last few weeks with family stuff and mild injuries. Last got wet last Thurs but today was better :)

2nd this. Love my chest zip dawn patrol 3/2 and perfect for around the Gong in winter. doesn’t cost a fortune either.

In saying that, I did just splash out though on the most expensive Wetsuit I’ve ever bought! I would have got the dawn patrol model but they didn’t have any and I had $100 gift card to use up so I managed to get a flash bomb Springsuit - long leg / short arm and I gotta say it’s pretty epic! Feels more like a Lycra suit than a wetsuit

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I cover my ears and say la la la la la when people recommend big brand name wet suits. I only want to buy and use
NEED ESSENTIALS wet suit gear.
Talk to the hand otherwise!

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Waist to shoulder high at Bondi today - mostly shallow bank close outs when I went surfing around 2pm.

I’m easing back into surfing. This was only my second surf in 5 months. I put in 50 mins today before giving it a rest.

Reactions: jonathanc and Dave6

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Ripper surf this morning...
Left hand is still ginger so was pretty happy to rock up to an empty clean shoulder high town beachie. Every second set would give a long running right, gee it was good. 2 other old mates saw a bit of gold, 1 of them I surfed in town with on Monday, we traded waves and had a chat - good times.

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
A great weekend of waves here.
Saturday Arvo, the wind died off and swung more ESE, so i hit Noosa for a quick hour of power. The sweep was incredibly strong. Waves were about 4', and i 'surfed' first point. I caught probably 3 waves in my hour, and did 2 laps.
Sunday Morning at Tea Tree was a different story. The sweep had gone, the sun was out and sets were still in that 4' range. I surfed for just under 4 hours and got a heap of fun waves.
Im not sure how someone wasnt seriously injured out there, plenty of drop ins, plenty of people getting run over, a bloke on a surf rescue board barrelling through the lineup. It was at times, scary.

smackies

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 29, 2002
A great weekend of waves here.
Saturday Arvo, the wind died off and swung more ESE, so i hit Noosa for a quick hour of power. The sweep was incredibly strong. Waves were about 4', and i 'surfed' first point. I caught probably 3 waves in my hour, and did 2 laps.
Sunday Morning at Tea Tree was a different story. The sweep had gone, the sun was out and sets were still in that 4' range. I surfed for just under 4 hours and got a heap of fun waves.
Im not sure how someone wasnt seriously injured out there, plenty of drop ins, plenty of people getting run over, a bloke on a surf rescue board barrelling through the lineup. It was at times, scary.
Ha. I went for a walk around the NP on Sunday arvo and saw the chaos at TT and Nationals.

Granite was relatively quiet, but the waves very unorganised.

Noosa on a weekend is the stuff of nightmares.

Formally_FS04

One of Us
Sep 13, 2021
Balgownie
Still not much time for surfing - sigh. Managed a quick swim on Saturday which was an absolutely magic day. Some fun looking 3ft+ sets on offer, but gee the water has cooled down quickly here in the 'Gong!

Reactions: Peli89

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
Slalom gully at hotham saturday afternoon!

The proper 'line-up' at the wave pool where everyone gets a go in turn is pretty nice actually.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Still not much time for surfing - sigh. Managed a quick swim on Saturday which was an absolutely magic day. Some fun looking 3ft+ sets on offer, but gee the water has cooled down quickly here in the 'Gong!
The water temperature here at Pt.Leo is 15.9C..I am opting for the six mm booties tomorrow.

Reactions: Paperboy

prcoy

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2010
Point Leo, Australia
The surf is pumping at W.P.today.Tomorrow will be even bigger.Even the area near the boat club was working today At high tide for dedicated long boarders
a.k.a “ Trelaw’s” .There is a lot water moving.
Was that you at 2nd today Mr Tee. I think it was you but you paddled off into a big set and never saw you again.

You must have survived.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Was that you at 2nd today Mr Tee. I think it was you but you paddled off into a big set and never saw you again.

You must have survived.
Hi.Yes that was me.I caught five waves and then retired.Paddling out today was demanding .There was a lot of water moving.Duck diving a mini mal is a big job.I caught one big wave and made the drop across the face of the wave most effectively.In the past I would have nose dived .I am still wobbly at standing up and tend to pop up and then grip the rails like a skate boarder taking a sharp bend.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Photos from my surf trip on May 16th and 17th.
Early morning at Merricks Beach. The big swell had not arrived at that time. I was up at 5 am and on the road at 6 am.
One hour and 40 minutes later I was at Merricks.
_SAM1811.JPG

Early in the day at Crunchy point.Monday May 16th 2022.The tide was out but there were some waves and a NW wind off/ cross shore.
_SAM1813.JPG
_SAM1814.JPG

Second Reef looked surfable so I suited up and went for a surf. I caught well over 7 waves in a two hour session.
_SAM1817.JPG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass