Surf The Surf Thread

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
A couple of people are out for a paddle today at W.P. but it is tiny and not worth the drive.Even Flinders looked underwhelming today.
I am going to do something else today.

1657843268361.png

1657843306673.png

Reactions: Peli89

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Another fun morning of surf here today. It was pushing 3' at times on the sets, but not holding much form. I managed half a dozen fun rights then called it.

My watch had the water temp down at 17.1 this morning.

It's been a relatively good run of surf here (small) but surfable. I've managed 8 surfs in the last 7 days and the weekend is looking promising too.

malas1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 1, 2015
Broulee corner had some fun ones this arvo, people out the reef and back of the island looked ok. Managed to snag the odd one on the stand up goatboat.

Reactions: Formally_FS04

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Had the best surf this morning since Easter….
2 to occasional 3ft clean A-Frames with about 10 others, soooooo good! Got some absolute rippers before it all dried up. Feeling very satisfied and also good to know I can still surf the shortie despite a long hiatus :)
Waves.....?
I think some of us here in Victoria can remember what they look like... .
:-(

• Sad
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

jonathanc

upright toboggan enthusiast
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
Shin-high mushburgers today - almost knee high on the big bomb sets rolling through every 10 mins or so.

Borrowed a big flat high volume foamie and it was heaps of fun. Waves were actually running nicely and we ended up staying out for hours.

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I surfed A-Bay again on Saturday. Good consistent surf to 3', even if it was a bit wind affected at times.

Resting the arms today, before things look quite large towards the end of the week

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
I surfed A-Bay again on Saturday. Good consistent surf to 3', even if it was a bit wind affected at times.

Resting the arms today, before things look quite large towards the end of the week
Sounds much better than the GC that was pretty small on the weekend. Pretty sure I won't be out next weekend with that forecast.

jonathanc

upright toboggan enthusiast
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014

This weekend is definitely above my pay grade, Saturday is looking like yet another clean and sizeable day for the NSW south coast.

Formally_FS04

One of Us
Sep 13, 2021
Balgownie
Haven’t surfed in ages and now can’t for the next week or so thanks to a bike crash and some new holes.

But if it’s going to be as forecast, I wouldn’t go anyway.LOL

Surf week at DI coming up soon though.

Would love to go to DI one day, looks like an epic spot! There's a couple of vids on it on the tube that look amazing

Meanwhile back here in the 'Gong it's wet and miserable yet again. The swell train continues with a large spike in E/NE swell coming this weekend. Should be a few spots handling it further south but likely to be packed. Jeez the beaches have copped a pounding so far in 2022 and it does not seem to want to stop.....the local is looking decimated. Hopefully during spring time they can re-coup some of the sand that has been lost 'cause they sure could use it.

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Well it's been a pretty chaotic couple of days here on the Sunshine Coast.. the Mooloolaba wave buoy maxxed out at over 10 metres which is insane. I didn't surf yesterday as it was too big for me.

This morning I got to Noosa at first light and surfed boiling pot for a few hours. There was plenty of waves early on but the sweep and crowds got the better of me by my 4th lap. The water was moving at a rate of knots. Waves were in the 4' range - probably a few bigger ones in the mix too - plenty of those dark deep caverns in the brown water..

I went for a walk past Mooloolaba later o this afternoon and took a few iPhone pics.. didn't head out - lots of close outs in between the gems.. hopefully tomorrow sees a further drop in size and the open beachs turn on.

20220723_143314_exported_2031.jpg

20220723_142601_exported_2066.jpg

20220723_141541_exported_1999.jpg

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Yeah that's pretty chunky and I reckon the (my) size limit for a bog standard east coast beachie. Only the odd 3 footer this morning on the south coast but I had fun, not tackling the bigger stuff atm, really should get this wrist looked at!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Had a quick lunchtime session on Friday and discovered one of my close-to-home go-to banks had straightened considerably following the big east swell. Got 2 good fun runners though.

Surfed in town on Sat AM and got two really good righthanders that must have gone 150m, pretty good for a beachie come corner set-up. Few nice lefts back into the rip as well.

Family beach day yesterday at another beach which was also looking too straight in a corner that normall holds good sand.

Might be dusting off the bike this week :)

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Surf small (waist high) at Manly. Did the Manly to Shelly swim this morning for the first time in well over a month. Chalk from B & B said 17.3c. Felt cool getting in and face was certainly numb. Hit a few warm patches an the way round, so probably 19c on a few spots. Rubber wear was a 2/3mm short sleeve spring suit. +0.95 (Mk III) put the sleeve on her Orca swim spring suite and wore a neoprene swim cap; was a smart move, will don the yellow and black cap of wuziness for next dip.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Got myself that ultra groveller - a FireWire Twice Baked.
First surf today and very very happy. Based on the reviews many ride it as a quad but I went thruster first up (as I normally do) and after a few fumbly rides felt I had it dialled.
I do surf a little front footed, I am a snowboarder at heart, but I deliberately went the Twice Baked over the Sweet Potato as it apparently responded well to a strong back foot and I thought that would be good for my overall surfing development. Ok I kind of liked the aesthetics as well.
One of the early rides I actually went over the handle bars trying to drive down the line from the front foot immediately after take off. After that I adjusted - stand up, plant the back foot, a gentle steer with the front door and off it went. Nothing over waist high (I am 6'2 ish) but I found myself doing little floaters and milking the knee high inside in no time, yew.
Hopefully the froth remains with the follow up surf's.
IMG_20220806_093540_3~2.jpg

IMG_20220806_114521.jpg

IMG_20220806_093527_4.jpg

Formally_FS04

One of Us
Sep 13, 2021
Balgownie
Had a couple of surfs over the weekend just gone. Surfed Woo town aka Donza Hood on Friday morning, was 2ft maybe occasional almost 3ft set but getting fat and swallowed up by the incoming tide.
Interesting to hear reports of the water 'warming up' in Syd town, 'cause down here in the 'Gong it had been toasty warm up until last week when we copped those Northerlies. I reckon it had dropped a degree or two, to around 17ish down here, on the previously 18-19. Was a bit of fun and snagged a couple.
Saturday was flat, but Sunday I managed to snag a couple of fun and building 2ft or so S/SE swell at Eastie with only a couple out. Was a bit sideshore-ish, but banks quite good and got a few fun ones.

This weekend is looking small, but Sunday is looking interesting, might be a few small fun ones on offer, nice and clean offshores forecast too.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Got myself that ultra groveller - a FireWire Twice Baked.
First surf today and very very happy. Based on the reviews many ride it as a quad but I went thruster first up (as I normally do) and after a few fumbly rides felt I had it dialled.
I do surf a little front footed, I am a snowboarder at heart, but I deliberately went the Twice Baked over the Sweet Potato as it apparently responded well to a strong back foot and I thought that would be good for my overall surfing development. Ok I kind of liked the aesthetics as well.
One of the early rides I actually went over the handle bars trying to drive down the line from the front foot immediately after take off. After that I adjusted - stand up, plant the back foot, a gentle steer with the front door and off it went. Nothing over waist high (I am 6'2 ish) but I found myself doing little floaters and milking the knee high inside in no time, yew.
Hopefully the froth remains with the follow up surf's.
IMG_20220806_093540_3~2.jpg

IMG_20220806_114521.jpg

IMG_20220806_093527_4.jpg

Biggly volume.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Biggly volume.
Yep, it's a little tank. Been on a short board refinement journey playing around with volumes in the 34-39 range, wanted something completely different. Also starting to get the winter rubber quiver and the summer boardies fun quiver. Ideally won't surf the Twice Baked much over summer, touch wood.

Surfed on Monday, short board conditions, super fun 2-3ft corners. Checked it yesterday but just wasn't doing it on the low tide and extra swell. That's it til the weekend now.

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
I had a day off today so made the long treck to the GC..
I got to Burleigh at about 7am and surfed the high tide for about 2 hours. It was small - at around 1.5' tops but the banks were lining up so nicely. It never ceases to amaze me how well all the waves line up on the east coast points.

The surf didn't look amazing over low tide so I waited on it and ended up heading out over the incoming at Snapper. I counted 103 people in the water, but despite that, got some cracking waves, set waves even from near the rocks. Size would have been around 3 foot and really fun. It took me a bit to work it out but at that size it's really just a wedging take off into not much. Still, it felt great to be in such clear warm water.
There was a bit of carnage, but a relatively organised break.
There was a pod of dolphins swimming around us the whole time, and a couple of whales swam past earlier in the day. Everything aligned well.
I dare say I would have almost walked past you Dave6.
4 hours in the water and 5 of driving. A good day in all.
I won't be far off retiring the wetsuit either. Water felt very warm today. Must be over 20.
A couple of average phone pics below

20220810_112539_exported_12596.jpg

20220810_114934_exported_54629.jpg

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
I had a day off today so made the long treck to the GC..
I got to Burleigh at about 7am and surfed the high tide for about 2 hours. It was small - at around 1.5' tops but the banks were lining up so nicely. It never ceases to amaze me how well all the waves line up on the east coast points.

The surf didn't look amazing over low tide so I waited on it and ended up heading out over the incoming at Snapper. I counted 103 people in the water, but despite that, got some cracking waves, set waves even from near the rocks. Size would have been around 3 foot and really fun. It took me a bit to work it out but at that size it's really just a wedging take off into not much. Still, it felt great to be in such clear warm water.
There was a bit of carnage, but a relatively organised break.
There was a pod of dolphins swimming around us the whole time, and a couple of whales swam past earlier in the day. Everything aligned well.
I dare say I would have almost walked past you Dave6.
4 hours in the water and 5 of driving. A good day in all.
I won't be far off retiring the wetsuit either. Water felt very warm today. Must be over 20.
A couple of average phone pics below

20220810_112539_exported_12596.jpg

20220810_114934_exported_54629.jpg
Would have been just after 10 that i was at snapper. Fun to watch but looks like chaos.

I surfed off the point at greenmount earlier in the morning where crowds and waves are a bit more manageable.

Formally_FS04

One of Us
Sep 13, 2021
Balgownie
@Craig B nice article on your recent swell chase up the coast, looks like you scored!
BTW, any sightings of the noah kind? I know we aren't out of whale migration season quite just yet, but I can't help but feel like this winter it's very quiet on the sightings / close encounters front.......I also wonder if the warmer than usual water temps have played a part in that.......anyways, could be worth an article on Swellnet to generate some chatter on if particularly east coast surfers have seen any or had any close encounters so far this winter / whale migration season......I was recently in the water down here in the 'Gong and was talking to one of the local blokes out at Bellza, he was telling me that he had a mate who worked in the boats down here and that there were loads of them around (this was a few weeks ago)......

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Missed a bit of surfing lately. Skiing instead!! A good problem.

Anyway after it feels like a few weeks out of the water got out for a bit under an hour at the Bra. Clean 1-2 foot waves. I took out a foamed up 6’6” 2+1 which was probably ideal for the waves and surf fitness. Even managed a handful of half decent waves!!

Anyway great fun in a 2 week hiatus from skiing.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using