1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

The Surf Thread

Discussion in 'Eastern & Marine' started by Belly, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Beginners in the Mist (Northern Beaches Secret Spot, a bit after 6am this morning):

Our beginner (rapidly ceasing to be a beginner) and I pulled up at the NBSS carpark at 6am this morning to be greeted by a flotilla of mals already in the water, of whom I only knew 3 of the dozen people. This was unusual both in terms of the number of people sillier than me and already in the water and that for an early on Friday morning it is usually usual suspects only. We could only guess that literally nowhere else was working and/or they just couldn’t see if it was due to the fog, and hence just kept driving to the NBSS until the road ran out.

Anyway we surfed. It was full, a bit bumpy and slow and definitely overcrowded for what was on offer (similarly to yesterday in all respects actually). Cold green water, lots of fog, bit of a sharky, mushed-up-fish kind of smell, and only slow 1-2’ waves on offer, which got even less exciting as the tide filled.

piolet and SAsurfa like this.
  2. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Looking ahead to big weekend on the water.
    The gurl is rowing at Warilla tomorrow South Coast Series .
    So Dad duties , will be on the road by 6am.
    Then I'm on ski Patrol sunday morning and flags Sunday arvo.
    Glad for the Southerly tomorrow being on the beach rather than in it.

Ted Harper likes this.
  3. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Groundhog day up here, 3ft, northerly pretty average to shit everywhere frustrating. Been in for a couple body bashes and surf and been washed 500-1000m down the beach each time

piolet and POW_hungry like this.
  4. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

nfip and SAsurfa like this.
  5. POW_hungry

Ferkn sheizer Haus here in the E burbs of Sydney. Rock-bloody-bottom with a good chance of an ear infection or two with the state of the water too...

6. nfip

from your comment in summer thread.
    AXS really nailed this as we obs this morning.
    which you would hope is the case at 24hrs out.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I want to go for a paddle but the summer crowds along the VIC. coast and somewhat average surf conditions have me putting it off each day.

nfip likes this.
  8. nfip

yeah same.
    keen as and have the time for a change however just can't be farked.
    the gurl gives it a go each morning but comes home complaining about all the " old blokes " (gulp !) and tourists getting in the way and dropping in....
    will wait till it settles down , maybe next week.
    getting my mental fix tho with the rescues and multiples of preventions I do, as well as sharing my knowledge and pointing out the hazards.
    I never tire of pointing out the rips that are so obvious to me / us, and the reactions when the peeps can see it also.

9. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Pumping windswell down south today but couldn't search as home day, made do with a few reforms and water temps holding so couldn't complain.

SAsurfa and nfip like this.
  10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Taken to pool swimming. Given up on freezing my tits off every time to go for a ocean plunge.

11. nfip

southerly will start to clear out the upwelling now

Fozzie Bear and piolet like this.
  12. POW_hungry

Problem is it doesn’t last long as it’s progged to return to Nor easters again neck week.

SAsurfa likes this.
  13. POW_hungry

Southerly just registered through Wattamolla. Seems v weak at 13km/h.

14. nfip

yeah another big wobbling H out in the E tasman

POW_hungry likes this.
  15. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Rubbish up here today........lumpy dribble. Didn't bother, took the dog for a walk.

16. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Bring it on..... seems to have just hit the top of the hill at Bondi Junction.

17. Ted Harper

For our early this morning, the NBSS was quite a bit larger than yesterday, 3’+ on the sets. HOWEVER it was kind of a bumpy mess. We surfed down at Kiddies’ Corner, but none of us were really feeling it. Everyone else in my group gave it away in less than an hour, then while they were all still standing around on at the edge of the water chatting I got one really quite good one from out past the swimming pool all the way to the shorebreak, realised I wasn’t going to get another one like that, and joined them on the beach. Consensus of opinion was that it might be ok around the high tide, but the southerly is coming and before then it is just too hot to be at the beach now. One of my friends had checked North Av (very) early before paddling out with us and she said it looked really good there but there were literally 100 in the water.

On a positive note from this morning’s otherwise meh session, we all decided that our beginner - who rode her very nice 6’6” again this morning and did reasonably well given the suckiness, bump and current - has officially graduated from the foamie, so I now don’t have to lug the thing on my roof every session any more as her board (just) fits up the middle inside my car on top of my two 5’11”s I normally take. Yay!

Will be interesting to see what we wake up to tomorrow morning with it being the first non-NE (and non-stinking-hot) day for several weeks.

piolet likes this.
  18. Ted Harper

Smaller (not much over 2’ on the sets), much smoother, rather full and a bit straight at the NBSS this morning. A few more mals than I’d ideally have liked sharing the bank I was riding on my short board but it was a mal sort of wave. This is how it looked - between sets - just before we went out:

Quite a cold offshore blowing and the water is still cool-ish from the upwelling so anyone with less on than a springy didn’t last too long.

I drove down to the RipCurl store after my surf and bought 3 new fins (FCS2 Carver - in medium) to replace the partially delaminated centre fin from my bad wipeout at the Joey last week. They are about the same shape as the damaged one but solid resin rather than that honeycomb construction the other ones are. I also bought another FCS Freedom legrope - I have one on my OG Flyer and I love how it doesn’t tangle (it does magnetically attract seaweed though) so I now have one for my favourite Fred Stubble board as well.

I might pop back down for an afternoon bonus surf to try the new fins and leggy - about to enter negotiations for that...

Belly and piolet like this.
  19. Mister Tee on XC Skis

According to Swell net this Tuesday could be almost worth the drive down to the Surf coast for a paddle.

20. POW_hungry

The drive out of Sydney has always been worth it since it started blowing NE'ly 3 weeks ago!

Belly and SAsurfa like this.
  21. Ted Harper

I _did_ sneak out for a short bonus surf this afternoon at the NBSS. Swell had dropped further from this morning, to really only about 18”. Very shallow and light offshore wind where I surfed at the south end (in front of the coffee shop) - breaking hard into knee-to-thigh-deep water with a lot of sand churning through it.

There were makeable lefts and rights with a bit of luck - actually the conditions overall were pretty similar to at the ‘Joey when I attempted my live organ transplant and delaminated my centre fin on my ribs, so it was a reasonable test of the new fins (and my ongoing stupidity of pulling in on waves like that when I know what can happen, and still have a very impressive-looking and quite tender bruise to prove it).

They pulled in and held well and the couple of decent turns I was able to put in didn’t do anything unexpected so i’m sure they’re fine. The legrope is great - definitely for small waves, I haven’t tried one in anything bigger than about 5’). I now have one for both my everyday boards - and the difference from my previous urethane one on the same board this morning is pretty obvious. Really if any of your friends have one see if you can borrow it for a couple of waves and I reckon you’ll like it - non-tangly, light, nice ankle strap.

Anyway, I reckon I might have a day or two off surfing now. All my friends seem to have work from early most days this week and I have surfed every day for about the last 4 weeks except Christmas Day so probably I should attend to some things other than surfing for the next morning or two at least (that’s the plan anyway) :)

22. Harper11

Harper11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

This is awesome

Fozzie Bear, cin and POW_hungry like this.
  23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I went to have a paddle at one of the Westernport surf beaches today. Point Leo was so busy it was redonkulous and the sea was nearly flat so I went to Flinders ocean beach.
    That was not happening either. I went to the point break at Shoreham. I had a paddle there but found there to be more people than water and the on shore wind made paddling out quite a struggle despite the tiny waves. It seemed to me that a collision was inevitable, such was the teeming swarm of board riders in the water in the summer holiday sun.
    So I paddled back to shore having caught no waves after at least 90 min.s in the brine. I started getting a bad cramp in my leg so I paddled back even faster to the shore and got out. That was my day. I have now scouted out the locations for surfing in Westernport .
    I am not sure if summer holidays and surfing go together. I prefer bigger swell, far fewer people and much colder water ;-P. The water temperature was 19 C. No need for wet suit booties or neo prene gloves. I did get to wear my surfing sun hat with the chin strap. I seemed to turtle roll to avoid head on collisions with other long boarders much more than I have in the past.
    It seems like everyone looking for a small surf able wave on that part of the Mornington Peninsula was at that beach. It is a slightly more pleasant drive there than the drive to the Surf coast is.

piolet and SAsurfa like this.
  24. Drewboy

Drewboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Small but fun with the crowds finally abating and the water temp was up today.

SAsurfa, POW_hungry, Belly and 2 others like this.
  25. Ted Harper

Good to see that even with only two people waiting for that right-hander there managed to be a drop-in :) Crowds might be abating but I reckon you can still tell it is Christmas holidays...

26. Belly

You've scouted the well known Westernport surfing locations, there are a handful of others ;)

piolet likes this.
  27. Drewboy

Drewboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

That would be a mal and sup having fun

28. Ted Harper

I did have a surf at the NBSS this morning with some friends who still have this week off work. They said they surfed early yesterday too until they were chased out of the water by a small-ish (but very active and _close_) marine creature. We’ve had several in the last couple of weeks actually, or perhaps the same one hanging around?

Anyway nothing more exciting this morning as far as marine life goes than one of the penguins chasing some little bait fish near us. We had our eyes open though!

Surf was only a couple of feet at best, water was pretty nice and it was glassy until a northerly popped up about 7:30am. It was uncrowded at least and we all got a few.

Here’s how it looked before I paddled out and how my coffee and chocolate-and-macadamia brownie looked afterwards:

Belly likes this.
  29. Belly

Yeah I have two spots in particular that have local seals, always gets the blood pumping at first sight though :)

nfip and Ted Harper like this.
  30. Ted Harper

Small today - most sets under 1’. Light offshore, quite overcast, and generally good conditions but hard going on a short board. No marine life other than a penguin was out chasing tiny bait fish again.

I mail ordered a new set of FCS2 honeycomb construction fins and they arrived yesterday so I had to try them out - not that you can tell much when the swell is so small and slow but they look nice:

nfip, FourSquare04 and Belly like this.
  31. Ted Harper

...also forgot to mention above, I noticed them setting up and just confirmed on the website that the annual Polo day is on at Careel Bay fields - opposite the pie shop - on Saturday (http://polobythesea.com/hospitality/palm-beach-sydney/). Starts 11am - usually no traffic impact if you're going for an early.

32. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Happy new year all!

Looks like I've got lots to catch up on, been tuning out from computer screens for a bit :D

I've managed a few sessions down here in the 'Gong over Xmas / New year / Early Jan period but nothing memorable, all pretty average but fun to be in the water for sure. Looks like my bad luck run has continued in missing the optimal times / conditions :(

Looks like there's been a few waves about but nothing overly exciting, which is not uncommon for this time of year at all.

The only two sessions worth mentioning were NYE morning at Woo, fun little 2ft session and just now this morning at Corri Corner getting a few 2ft weak crumbly S windswell sets with one other guy until the surf school swarmed it.

Looks like a few of you scored some fun over the break!

Looking long range, Saturday morning looks the best of a bad bunch, otherwise I can't see much happening until Tuesday next week with a return to NE summer lovin.....

Belly and Ted Harper like this.
  33. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

That looks like a nice set up there @Ted Harper :thumbs:

34. Ted Harper

That's my favourite board (5'11" CI Fred Stubble, rounded pin, 5 FCS2 fin boxes) - without a doubt the best board (for me and the places I surf) I have ever owned. The CI OG Flyer (same length, squash tail, 3 FCS2 fin boxes) which I bought mid last year and also usually take to the beach with me is a better groveller but I just don't like the way it turns under my feet - particularly off the bottom on my forehand - as much as the Fred Stubble when the waves have any oomph in them.

My Fred Stubble getting a bit worn-out now; no bad dings as such but the deck is a bit crushed and a few small shatters on the rails. It probably doesn't owe me anything in terms of the number of waves ridden (at a guess, likely to be low-balling the numbers: 3 surfs on it a week, 150 weeks, 10 waves/surf = 4500 waves). I'll likely replace it with exactly the same board, just maybe with a FlexBar core.

FourSquare04 likes this.
  35. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Would be mostly a lot of invasion from the Cara park folk this time of year

36. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Not many left in that slab of Sopporo there @nfip (can see empties piling up left of board) ;)

Off to the Marlin for another takeaway slab :D

nfip likes this.
  37. nfip

yeah seals n penguins are always a good sign IMO.
    my read is the noah's are not in attendance.
    but agreed that first sight shortens " things " up a tad for sure.

FourSquare04 likes this.
  38. nfip

LOL
    saving the empties , the gurl cashs them in $$
    but did give them a nudge on the odd occasion last couple of weeks.
    Marlin bottlo is not on my typical radar.
    avoid town best I can this time of year
    usually only get to Mollymook or up to Milton.
    crowds have near halved this week , tho still really busy just not tthe gridlock of the last 2 weeks.
    o/cast weather also has kept the punters off the beaches.
    big day last SUnday , multiple preventions on the ski and 6 or 8 rescues on the beaches.
    one I did on the board I had 2 kids to deal with , one in each hand - plus the board .
    another we rescued same girl twice , same rip. parents watching telling me she can swim while i watch her dog paddling and going under.... ffs.
    found out was one of my mates that did the Conjola resusc... un-sucessfull.
    been counselling him about the whole deal as he's a bit spun cause he couldnt get the air into him...:(

39. jabiru

jabiru One of Us

we were surfing Boneyard in a howling southerly and stormy and thunder, reasonable size , if you know the place it can be spooky , anyway everyone went in i was waiting for last wave and a fin pops up next to me ,, it shortend me up i tell you , was a dolphin , still shaking thinking about it ..

FourSquare04, Fozzie Bear and nfip like this.
  40. nfip

yeah you're a loong way out there too.
    rocky af , deep water the whole show.

FourSquare04 likes this.
  41. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Can't recall which day it was, maybe the day I surfed Easty last week or week before, but could have sworn you rode past me on the bike path there at the Easty carpark

42. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Also the lack of strong NE Seabreezes last week or week before, was unusual for the hot weather we were getting, I thought that was a bit strange to get so many days where we had glassy conditions in +25 to +30 degree day temps

Donzah likes this.
  43. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

We did too, stayed home, forget it. Was going to day trip to Kiama but decided against it. Reckon it was a good decision. Road was closed in both directions, would have been a long wait on Mt Ousley Rd waiting for the road to re-open

44. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Loads of Noahs eh. Heard about @climberman and his mate's encounter off Fairy Meadow

Also the 5 x large Bull's caught up in the Clarence I think it was, 100m from a lot of swimmers

Then the other decent sized one slipped through the nets at Botany Bay

Another one to note - my mate was in his kayak about 100m off Headies and reckons he saw a small one on the surface, possibly a Bronzy due to colour he reckons, maybe 1.5m or so in size

Also saw an attack in So Cal popped up on Surfline yesterday

What's most interesting I think is that there have been very few reported sightings (well in the media anyway) of noah's around Ballina / Byron apart from that one that got in close at Byron the other week. Over the past few years, it would be every day if not every second day another sighting or close encounter around that region.

@parkmonkey what's the inside word up your way?

Link to So Cal attack:

https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/shark-attack-californias-central-coast/42650

#4394 FourSquare04, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    SAsurfa, Belly and climberman like this.
  45. nfip

pharck. love this pick.
    rip from Surfing NSW
    [​IMG]

FourSquare04, SAsurfa and Ted Harper like this.
  46. nfip

Power surfing at it's ( old skool? ) finest.

Fozzie Bear and SAsurfa like this.
  47. nfip

48. SAsurfa

SAsurfa One of Us

God can't get enough of that!!

nfip likes this.
  49. nfip

J Bay (?) buckets !!

50. SAsurfa

SAsurfa One of Us