The Surf Thread

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Belly, Jun 1, 2017.

1. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

Apparently Black Rock had waves today too

FourSquare04 likes this.
  2. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Keen! How do I join?

3. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey One of Us

First Pointscore on 24th Feb sign up on the day.

FourSquare04 likes this.
  4. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass: Gold

yeah that's what I was thinking , and a couple of others......
    could here it crashing all night typically spells on-shore so same will likely apply today.

W0nkey D0nkey likes this.
  5. Belly

Belly A Local

5 days in a row with sessions at Crescent, I'll take that!! Time to start heading home.
    Doubtful would ever stay at the main park again though, part service proposition and part we're more a 'delicate' style family.
    Off topic but also highly recommend the Dubbo zoo and the Ebor-Dorrigo high country which was our other main attractions.

6. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Staying in town has it's advantages and disadvantages. Obviously close to all the necessities and can just walk up to the shops/pub/country club if you need anything and paddle out up the beach or out the point with ease. I'm with you though mate I prefer staying down the back for the serenity and isolated camp vibes, plus it's easier to check other spots if conditions aren't optimal in town :D

Belly likes this.
  7. Belly

Belly A Local

This photo is indicative of the conditions, although I surfed it bumpier. That's me and I'm a dot but it shows a shoulder high wave and I'm 6'2" and a bit. I was lucky enough to get this one from the button all the way through but more often than not they were quite lumpy like the one behind offering shorter 50m odd rides.

parkmonkey, nfip, Drewboy and 4 others like this.
  8. smackies

smackies A Local

Fun little waves (my favourite) have greeted my return to Noosa.

Turns out snowboarding for 5 weeks does very little for paddle strength.

9. PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow One of Us

My stretch, been fun!

10. Drewboy

Drewboy One of Us

Easterly swell making it very straight around my way

11. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us

By Northern Beaches Secret Spot standards those are pretty long runners (sigh).

We are surfing then sailing (for a bit of fun and something different with my surfing mates - plus our beginner is a sailing instructor, so she can be the expert rather than the beginner) tomorrow.

Drewboy likes this.
  12. Belly

Belly A Local

The Melbourne wave pool thread has exploded on SN. Article put up yesterday around noon (saw it with zero posts around that time on the Pac Hwy) and now 85 posts. That's a high posting rate for SN.

SAsurfa and W0nkey D0nkey like this.
  13. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Is it just me or are these wavepools just all talk and hype, when is one actually going to be built, finished and ready for punters to use?!! Why are they taking so god damn long to build...!

14. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

on another note, had a forgettable grovel this morning at Tow, inconsistent 2ft sets with not much shape/quality

Looked like a wave up at Easty but couldn't really see anyone getting that much

Water was still rather delightful, must be a good 21 degrees in

Ted Harper and W0nkey D0nkey like this.
  15. nfip

water 23 degs is being called down here.
    Looks and smells like decent waves around.
    on my lap I observed the boys that know their shit where out and about.
    the tell tale signs confirmed the tip offs I have heard about good banks at certain out of the way but not so secret places.

Ted Harper and FourSquare04 like this.
  16. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Can't wait to get down your way in April and hopefully get some decent waves

nfip and Belly like this.
  17. PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow One of Us

Was down your way for work on Wednesday and saw lots of good waves around. No board with me unfortunately :(

18. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us

Had a paddle at Wanda yesterday morning. First time of board in ferk knows how long (almost 2 years). Swimming has kept paddle fitness up so was able to jag a couple. Did observe a nice puse of chest high waves at Bondage last night (vantage point in Icebergs Club). Had all but disappeared this morning. Water still nice for a swim .

FourSquare04 likes this.
  19. jabiru

jabiru Addicted

According to the latest email from them and press release , operational by Easter ,, significant testing required , projected opening Spring 2019, waves from 0.5 m to 2 m so they say , i have seen the construction ,, it exists ,,

FourSquare04 likes this.
  20. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey One of Us

First Pointscore is the 17th** Same day as the Colza Memorial around the corner at Bellambi.. hmm

FourSquare04 likes this.
  21. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Hard Yards

Some surprisingly fun ones at Cooks Tce after 9 this morning when the wind briefly swung offshore. Punchy little NE peaks that cleaned up as the wind cooperated. Went in with very low expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. 2’ with the odd 3 footer to keep us entertained. Only 2 out!

22. SAsurfa

SAsurfa One of Us

How good!

Fast Eddie and FourSquare04 like this.
  23. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us

It wasn’t really much good at the Northern Beaches Secret Spot early this morning. Bit too shallow but warm water and smooth conditions. As above it got better about 9am while we were having coffee but I didn’t go back out. Sailing day has been fun so far too :)

24. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

They've been "talking" about wavepools for years, I reckon 5-10 years at least. I'm still yet to see one completed and operating at a consumer level which is obviously the end game. Kelly's is about as close as it has gotten so far and the 5 waves one in QLD has already broken during testing, so it still seems like all hype and not a lot of action.....I wait with baited breath!

25. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Nice score Eddie :thumbs:

Fast Eddie likes this.
  26. jabiru

jabiru Addicted

There has certainly been a lot of action , they are pretty much at the " just add water " stage , dont hold your breath go to Tullamarine you can see the construction from the road and on their website you can see the development , you can even sign up to trial it before opening , i admit to being a bit biased in the positive as i work at Tullamarine and can see this could be fun before / after work , just hope the water is heated ,,

Ted Harper and FourSquare04 like this.
  27. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Ripper storm in the 'Gong this arvo

POW_hungry, SAsurfa and W0nkey D0nkey like this.
  28. PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow One of Us

Yep and a sneakly little surf after it!

Belly and nfip like this.
  29. nfip

the gurl said best surf ever down at Bawley this arvo.
    waited out the storm then hit her with her besty, barrells , rainbows just came in totes stoked.
    spewing work got in the way of me just shouldering arms and heading down sth with her.
    I knew it would be on ...:cry:

30. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us

I just got out of the water at the NBSS. Pretty small and needs more tide. Huge enormous SLSC carnival today and tomorrow. They have all the beach and water south from Bend in the Road to Kiddies Corner in use both days so if you thinking of a paddle here today or tomorrow maybe reconsider or at least only think about the north end. You won’t get a park or any waves at the south end.

Here’s how it looks up the beach right now

31. nfip

**** em.
    Clubbie whanchors.

32. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us

Naaah, we get on with ours pretty well, especially so since they managed to get the beach cleaning (i.e. grooming and packing-down of sand) protocol finally changed a few months ago so we actually have had sandbanks again along the beach since about October after 4-5 years of Front Valley standard grooming of the beach (with ludicrous amounts of sand packed down) and zero sandbanks/rips. Midget Farrelly and Shane from the surf school had been unable to get it changed. Swimmer safety argument - increased spinal injuries due to mega shorebreak “dumpers” from no rips and banks - won the day when presented to council appropriately by the SLSC and lifeguards with statistics.

Given that big win on our behalf, I’m more than happy to cut them a fair bit of slack on holding a carnival every so often - but *maybe* a bit less bagpipe music first thing this morning (and if they could have perhaps left us the best bank to surf rather than roping it off to be used for the belt swim comp) could have made things even a bit better.

Nippers tomorrow with at least 4 in-the-water areas in use all day. If the southerly tonight picks the surf up big-time we’ll have an early at Kiddies (surely they won’t have kids in the water and want us out before about 7am), otherwise hopefully it will be SW rather than SE in the morning so the north end isn’t blown out - the low tide banks up there haven’t been all that good the last few weeks though.

FourSquare04 likes this.
  33. nfip

I neglected the ;)
    maybe you haven't picked up I Patrol and am a trainer in SLS. etc etc. apart from being a free surfer / boardrider whatever.
    These days there is not such a distinction , more so outside the city I guess.
    You're simply and ocean lover , a waterman across the board as I see it.
    Pam B patrols with us as no better example of this.
    I am quite vocal and pro active about giving the boardriders their space , and the surf schools to try get the old skool attitudes put behind us.
    Great to hear Lifeguards and SLS could lobby for the betterment of the beachscape as a whole. Just need a common sense approach with the Councils to spell it out in a way they can process it.
    Most of their stuff boils down to box ticking and arse covering IMO.

Fozzie Bear and Ted Harper like this.
  34. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us

Yeah I had worked it out ;) I used to be in a couple of SLSCs on the mid north coast for a few years, way back as far as when they first allowed women to become full members (no, @JoeKing , just no) - one of my best friends from the club then was a young lady (who from memory was the first at that club, really good swimmer!) who then ended up doing the same degree Uni as me a couple of years later and we worked together for a couple more years afterwards. Anyway up there there wasn’t really a clubbie/boardrider distinction, or at least there was a pretty big overlap - my friends and I did both. Side note: One of my skiing friends is a lifesaver (and trainer on IRBs and Jetskis) at North Bondi - now *that* sounds like a busy beach to patrol (and yes he surfs too - one of my kids has an old board of his with amazing Starwars artwork).

The Palm Beach SLSC guys (a good sized pack of the older retired/semi-retired ones) are out most mornings doing training/exercising on a variety of watercraft and we usually have a bit of a chat either on the beach before heading out or in the water when they swim/paddle/etc past us in the lineup if we’re surfing at the south end.

Trivia (from the standpoint of being a waterman, SLSC member or otherwise): Mostly by luck I took a really good photo on my phone of the SLSC president getting an absolute bomb on a humongous day last Autumn on his mini-mal, which one of his friends standing near me asked me to Airdrop him and I think it ended up on the SLSC annual report for last year (ie rather than being a photo of someone on a club ski, rescue board, etc).

Fozzie Bear, nfip and JoeKing like this.
  35. Drewboy

Drewboy One of Us

Nice little kick this afternoon,can feel the upwelling starting

SAsurfa, FourSquare04, nfip and 4 others like this.
  36. nfip

37. nfip

38. nfip

another wicked pic from yesterdays awesome display from mother nature.
    this from one of my " patrol mums " if you like.
    great lady and I'll share some more of her stuff here later fwiw.
    [​IMG]

39. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us

Nipper frenzy this morning at the NBSS, but we were ok at Kiddies’ Corner - most of the rest of the beach up to bend-in-the-road was in use by the Nipper carnival and the north end (when I checked it after our session and coffee) was mainly sandy closeouts of doom. It looked like the car parking was maxed out by about 6:30 too.

The waves were pretty good, even right on the low tide, the bank at Kiddies was working the best it has at low tide for a fair while. It was a big 2’, good push in it, fast and hollow (yes, this is Kiddies I am talking about!) and makeable IF you didn’t get dropped in on. Unfortunately that was rife this morning, almost always from mal riders who _don’t_ surf at the NBSS regularly and who just took off and went - generally slowly down the line - regardless of someone already at warp speed on the inside. I got burnt pretty hard into a (very) shallow bank quite a few times on what were very makeable waves for me and I was really quite frustrated by it because it was so blatant and so continual. I didn’t get a single apology either :(

Several of my friends just went in and went home after only a short session because of too much of that rubbish and too many collisions and near misses. Our beginner and a couple of my friends stayed on the inside and tried to keep out of trouble and get some small ones and some reforms and they did fairly ok. My handy dandy watch app says I got 15 waves but undercounted as usual by a few. However I reckon I only got 5 or 6 that I _didn’t_ get dropped in on. Grrr. There aren’t that many shortboard days at Kiddies but this was one of them, and it was frustrating to have (unusually) rippable waves spoilt over and over...

I called in at Newport for a look later in the morning (mid-tide) and off the the swimming pool at the south end was working really (really) well. Maybe 20 out but only half that seemed to be getting any waves. Was 3’-ish, super clean and nice, looked and felt very autumn-like really. Beginner was pumped seeing it and I reckon she’d have done ok out there if we hadn’t had 90 minutes in the water already AND we weren’t both already out of surfing time for the morning.

If the wind stays light today I reckon people could do worse than get out for a session still today. I won’t be getting another session in - watching my friend’s 18YO (bodyboarder) son playing soccer in a trial game against a premier league team this afternoon.

40. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture

#sunday
    Damn, that's sad.

Got a good wiggle in this AM at Bondy. Fun 3-4 foot. Plenty of weekend warriors out this way of course too @Ted Harper

41. POW_hungry

The monsoon gyre circulating around Vanuatu looks set to kick it up a notch or two over the next week.
    Some pinching of fetch looks to yield to some good ground swell for North NSW & SE QLD.
    It's been ramping up over the last few days and one to watch.
    Models signalling some cyclone activity off the back of it, but reliant on fickle MJO circulation which is currently in reverse at the moment.
    [​IMG]

FourSquare04, Belly and nfip like this.
  42. nfip

43. nfip

Sharing this screen grab from mate of mine and ex pat South Coast grommie Justin Gane.
    So think you've ripped a few decent bottom turns in your day !

44. POW_hungry

Bottom turning on your backhand like that is pure athleticism. Looks like Andy.

45. nfip

Roger that.
    Googling " Yoga for the older you get the better you where..."

46. POW_hungry

I just remember some of those fading, backside (grab rail?) stalls he used to do at pipe. Or even Deserts. Super late, super low, triple overhead - balls dragging on the seafloor.

47. nfip

There was an excellent vid of the young Moniz bros at Pipe this year.
    Will try dig it out.

POW_hungry likes this.
  48. nfip

Booyah.

SAsurfa likes this.
  49. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Flagged it this morning but apparently still about 2ft mostly out of the Southern Quadrant. I heard yesterday (Sunday) was OK about 3ft S swell down this way.

Saturday arvo was epic, hot conditions just needed to be at least 2 feet bigger! Went for a swim with the young bloke at the local Corri stretch and it was about 1-2ft but with longer period strength to it. Great for a bodybash but mostly just straight handers.

VERY keen for tomorrow, WAMs look real good: 2-3ft E swell at 12s period and offshores for most of the day, could be a 'mental health' day coming up :)

If anyone's keen for waves on the east side, (face it we are all pretty wave starved of late!) then pencil in a session for tomorrow (Tuesday).

Looking longer range, we get a sustained period of larger, E/NE groundswell off this tropical low from late this week / early weekend onwards. Finally, the drought has broken!

SAsurfa likes this.
  50. SAsurfa

SAsurfa One of Us

Gonna be pumping surf for 2 weeks from this weekend! Bring it.