Mega Thread The Weather Forum Epic BBQ thread

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Vic BOM forecaster this morning predicted r*** for 17th. Please let it not be so, booked for FC 17-24th. That's an ugly looking set up from the North East.

snowman43

Hard Yards
Aug 15, 2011
GFS producing a pineapple.

14081618_0918.gif

14081706_0918.gif

EC not with it yet. Lets hope it's a false alert.

I guess that is season over then :(

snowman43

Hard Yards
Aug 15, 2011
We are ment to be going to Falls on the 24th,,,if its going to be shit we may have to cancel and go to the Gold Coast instead.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Looking like a tropical moisture infeed with not much cold air at the moment.
Other forums suggesting this is the case.
Hopefully this changes, but not exactly looking great at the moment, lots of time to change however, could go either way and be something special with the amounts of moisture being dragged down.
Our global warming friends will be liking this one as it currently stands.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Hmm. Starting to feel like Spring here. Yesterday was probably the epitome of a Spring day.
Last year Perth had its warmest August on record. So far your ahead of the record, and the forecast shows you'll continue to give it a good shake.

Hermon

One of Us
Aug 24, 2008
It's interesting to note that the AAO is tending into the positives again. And the Eastern Inidan Ocean is decidedly warm and in the -ve IOD zone. Could be an interesting September IMO.

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
It's interesting to note that the AAO is tending into the positives again. And the Eastern Inidan Ocean is decidedly warm and in the -ve IOD zone. Could be an interesting September IMO.
These are positive signs for snowfall are they not? Perhaps a return to some snowy sustained snowy weather?

Hermon

One of Us
Aug 24, 2008
These are positive signs for snowfall are they not? Perhaps a return to some snowy sustained snowy weather?
Often yes if the upper atmosphere is favorable. However, the warm water off the WA coast might create a bit of pre-frontal clear snow for us.

davidg

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2009
Lower BM's
+ve AAO (SAM) is generally not good for sustained cold periods. It represents a tighter (stonger) polar vortex and as a result low pressure systems are more likely to remain south of our latitudes, unless I have that arse about somehow.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Hoping for some much needed rain here in SEQ on the weekend
Might get a month's worth in a couple of days
Hasn't really rained here since the Cyclone I reckon

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Can anyone offer any indication of any positive in the forecast for later in the week for Buller? I'll be there next week....... with much self chastisement and smacking self on the forehead for having pre-booked. I had naively thought mid-August should be relatively ok :doh:

I've prepared the raincoat and rubber gloves for the early part of the week, but how is the remainder of the week shaping up?

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Can anyone offer any indication of any positive in the forecast for later in the week for Buller? I'll be there next week....... with much self chastisement and smacking self on the forehead for having pre-booked. I had naively thought mid-August should be relatively ok :doh:

I've prepared the raincoat and rubber gloves for the early part of the week, but how is the remainder of the week shaping up?

Buller should be quite pleasant from Tuesday onwards. IMO

Reactions: rime noreason

snowduck

One of Us
Dec 30, 2004
Adelaide
I've cancelled a trip to Thredbo early next week 'cos of the r#@*. Now looking at the 10 day charts to see if any snowfalls likely later in that period.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
There is ziltch on the horizon on EC's latest run.

Patterns have changed (for the worse) and don't look like changing anytime soon.

I'm declaring the season as pretty much over in terms of fresh snowfalls IMO

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Could this kill the first few months of September? :/

Early Sept should be great spring skiing at Perisher. Just in case - last minute bookings are always best to pick the right week. NSW School holidays should be plenty of fun - they start nice and early this year on Sept 20.

But it could all wash or blow away yet - WTFKs - it's Australia.

Hermon

One of Us
Aug 24, 2008
Spag plot is starting to indicate that some snow might arrive around Sept 1. The polar jet looks like it will amplify in the coming week off the WA coast into sub-tropical latitudes and when that gets unleashed and pushes the blocking high out of the way, we could be in for a good burst of Antarctic weather. Just have to sit out a possible late-August mini-heatwave in the meantime....

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
Spag plot is starting to indicate that some snow might arrive around Sept 1. The polar jet looks like it will amplify in the coming week off the WA coast into sub-tropical latitudes and when that gets unleashed and pushes the blocking high out of the way, we could be in for a good burst of Antarctic weather. Just have to sit out a possible late-August mini-heatwave in the meantime....
Yep that is the last hurrah..has pushed out a bit but it is the return of the strongest of the LWT. @Gerg identified as his only threat to his SC calculated call.;)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass