1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Thoughts on Slovenia?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Sydlouise, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Addicted

My son is turning 18 in November and finishing off his HSC. To celebrate I'm letting him pick the destination for a big holiday in January, or maybe February.
    Thank god he picked somewhere skiable (I crossed my fingers and hoped!!).

We're only at the very start of research but he's thinking Croatia, Slovenia and maybe one other country in that area. A lot of stuff looks road trippable even in Winter.
    Where should I be 'gently suggesting' we base his trip? The better the mountains and the cheaper the lift passes the more keen I am!

2. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Consider Bled, Slovenia. Nice spot. A couple of low cost ski areas on the Italian border and some local ski fields to get the legs in whilst seeing the sights. Everything is pretty close with trains & buses (Rome2Rio is very helpful). Budapest is cool, Slovakia has it's mountains and yet Austria is not far away either.

Sydlouise likes this.
  3. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Haven't skied in Slovenia but been down there a couple of times. You definitely should visit Bled - perfect picture postcard spot.There is a ski slope there as well but only small. The capital Ljubljana is an attractive small city. The best known ski area is Kranjska Gora. Check them out here: https://www.bergfex.com/slovenia/

Croatian coastline is very nice, but not sure about it as a winter destination. Austrians tend to go there in summer and the boating.

As for a third country, Austria is just north of the border, so plenty of other ski options. There is also a good wine district on both sides of the Austrian/Slovenian border but that is better visited in the warmer months.

Sydlouise likes this.
  4. Whiteman

Whiteman A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I know this is Slovakia, not Slovenia, but still :D

JoeKing, andrew_r and malas1 like this.
  5. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

You must visit and stay at Lake Bled at that time of year. Its magic. The skiing at Kranjska is pretty good and not far from Bled. Some small resorts on Lake Bled but I haven't ridden it.

Sydlouise likes this.
  6. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Addicted

I suppose it’s my sons trip not mine!

7. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Like Whiteman, I can vouch for Slovakia. A friend and I climbed* Swinica on the Polish - Slovak border a couple of years ago from the Polish ski resort of Zakopane. The Tatra mountains there are simply stunning, the best scenery I've seen in the world. Sorry, I don't know much about Slovenia.

* When I say "I climbed Swinica", I mean my friend climbed it and partly dragged a petrified Bogong up a series of cliffs to the summit on a rope.

8. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

If your up for adventure there is Brezovica in Kosovo with €18 day tickets. From what I've read it makes Gulmarg seem as reliable as a Swiss Resort and there is no Grooming but heaps of snow.

9. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We were in Croatia in Feb this year. It was bloody freezing and they had the most snow (around Gospic) that they had seen in years, even decades.
    Not much was happening around the coast and a lot of the places were closed. Traveling from Dubrovnik to Zdar along the coast through Split was like a ghost town.

10. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Addicted

that does look cool! Will put it on the maybe list.

11. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Addicted

How was the scenery along the coast in February? I said to my son it might be a bit bleak in Winter but he thinks it could have a good moody aesthetic. He's very keen on the full road trip to/from Montenegro or Albania along the coast.

The Plowking likes this.
  12. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

A large part of the appeal of Croatia is the coastline. Many will traverse it by boat and get to various islands. When I went many years ago it was in April, so early season when the ferry services were just starting up with the warmer weather. Many things will have changed since then but I think it is still unlikely that you will find services like this in winter. You can still traverse the coastline by road but that may not be quite the same.

This is why I like Europe in spring, can still ski quiet sunny days, then travel in generally good weather with some summer services just starting but before the tourist hordes. Get the best of both, avoiding peak winter and summer crowds, good if you have a bit of time.

The Plowking and Sydlouise like this.
  13. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

That's a pretty weird (great/different) location for a 18 year old Australian to choose. Any Heritage?

14. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Another vote for Bled and Krajska Gora ski resort. Quite a good World Cup run there. Nice Village and a some excellent food up the older end of town. Region is famous for Vanilla Slice which i disliked until i visited.

Sydlouise and Zimbooo like this.
  15. XTREMO

XTREMO Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Is it your first time skiing in Europe? There's a wealth of info in other threads in this Europe forum so I won't repeat it here. Some general advice though.

You're gonna spend a lot of money flying to Europe. Whatever saving you might achieve with cheap lift passes, would likely be a very small % of the overall holiday cost and the impact on your experience could make the difference between a good and a great holiday.

Lets put some numbers on it. For a top tier French/Austrian/Italian resort, you'll be looking at roughly 270 EUR for a 6 day ski pass. Go to Bankso (Bulgaria) and you'll pay 170 EUR for the 6 day pass.

Yes there's a saving of 100 EUR, but what might you be sacrificing? You're probably not getting the fast, efficient infrastructure that you get in Western Europe. You may queue mor and ski less. The grooming might be worse. The in resort transport might be less reliable. The standard of accomodation might be wanting. There's also the cultural differences - food, language, apres ski, drinking etc. You may have a soft spot for Eastern European culture, in which case the cheaper resort's culture may be a bonus. For many people, a rare Euro ski trip might be the time to experience French or Italian cuisine and wine, Austrian apres ski, Swiss fondue etc. Bear this in mind when making your decisions.

Perhaps I've misunderstood and your son is deadset on Slovenia and that part's non negotiable? As others have said, its more of a summer destination so its a bit of a weird choice for a Jan/Feb trip...

Sydlouise likes this.
  16. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Slovenia has germanic "correctness" crossed with eastern europe "whatevs". Therefore, its awesome. Recommend Bohinj.

Sydlouise and Pink like this.
  17. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The coastline was lovely but it was absolutely dead. Just keep your eyes focused along the coast as there isn’t much to see when you look inland.
    Whilst we were there I was saying how I would love to go back in the warmer months. We may do that next year for a family wedding. We will see though.

Sydlouise likes this.
  18. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Addicted

3 weeks until departure! He settled on Croatia, Slovenia, Austria and Hungary with flights in and out of Zagreb and mostly train travel between places. Thanks for the tips above, time for me to start doing some research into the ski options. Castles topped priority list followed by mountains, skiing, caves and historical sights. I'm excited :)

Chaeron, dawooduck, JoeKing and 2 others like this.
  19. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Bled is awesome as everyone said, I spent a summer near there. Train through that region is looong and ancient.

I spent summer in Croatia in around 2005. At that stage it was still “developing” and I had an awesome time. Did a lot of homestys. It seemed every nudist from the continent headed to Croatia for summer, so there was the old woodpecker behind every tree. I went back in 2009 and it was completely different and much more developed. The ferry should be be running in winter as it’s how the locals get around

I loved Budapest too.

20. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

@Sydlouise
    Dont give up on Slovenia yet!
    I had a terrific snow experience in Slovenia.
    We found the eastern resorts to be pretty average but the Julien Alps around Bovec up the Soca river valley has some awesome terrain.
    Touring is pretty popular and there are manned huts throughout the mountains. Very cool.
    https://en.pzs.si/koce.php
    Bit like here in Vic where access is from well below the snowline generally. A hard slog up. One of my favourite areas in all honesty. Plenty of snow.
    The rest of Slovenias ski areas are in a bit of a rain shadow or lacking in the terrain department.
    From bovec you can even ski Italy and Slovenia at the combined resort at Kanin/Sella nevea. Really good off piste and pretty gnarly in places. Completely different to Slovenian resorts on the east side of the country.
    http://www.kanin.si/en/
    Bovec is a great little town too.
    Its a fair slog to get there though.

A few pics of the BC up the eastern side of the Soca valley. Epic day.
    Terrible quality, just tablet photos of prints.
    Circa 2004
    Some hairy drops and cliff bands. I was just off about 10 years worth of full seasons amongst the odd summer so was in peak form (all downhill since :( !

Below.
    If you look closely you might pick out a single track down the ridge.
    Poor (now )wifey waited over an hour for my acsent and completely missed my descent!

One of my all time favourite days riding. Was such a great surprise after the ho-hum eastern areas.
    Helped it was deep dry untracked powder...

#20 The Plowking, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Rabid K9 and Pink like this.
  21. The Plowking

No no no. Please see post above!

22. The Plowking