1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Thoughts on standard lacing system - Snowboard boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Yo Leo, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Yo Leo

Yo Leo Early Days

Tried my new Burton Moto with BOA system for the past weekend but unfortunately it didn't suit my feet very well. To briefly explain I have sort of wide, flat and high feet and at the end of the second day I got numbness toes and couldn't barely walk on my boots.
    Anyway, I went to a board shop on Monday and the ones I found more comfortable to my feet were on standard lacing system. Which tbh I found very cool because is 100% customisable so I can sort of avoid pressure points.

However a friend of mine told me regular lacing can be a pain to redo the laces up on the mountain on a freezing or wet day. My question is how often daily do you have to re-tight your boots on standard lacing system? Is it actually a point to consider? Or is it just more convenient to have speed laces systems?

Thanks whoever can help me out because I'm gonna have to buy a new pair for the next trip :(

2. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

It’s about the boots and the fit.
    Not the lacing system.

Yes boas and speed laces are quicker and you have less of an issue with frozen wet laces to deal with. Also Boas can help people who don’t have the ability to pull tight their laces to get the boot tight enough (thinking injury or arthritis). I coped with my speed laces with a broken arm, buy doing each side one at a time, regular laces would’ve SUCKED, and boas would’ve been a piece of cake.

Go with the boot you love.
    The lacing system is secondary.

Note: I currently have 3 pairs of boots. One with standard laces, one with speed laces and one with a dual boa.

hatto and Yo Leo like this.
  3. Yo Leo

Yo Leo Early Days

Got it! I reckon tightening is not gonna be an issue...so I will probably go for the standard lacing one because of the better fit as you mentioned.
    Are you able to tell me when you ride on your standard lacing boots, does it come loose very often?
    Thanks!

4. LMB

Very rarely @Yo Leo
    But I will spend a bit of time making sure they are laced properly before I walk out the door.

However with the speed laces and boas I’ll do a comfort tighten, then properly tighten at the lifts.

Yo Leo and hatto like this.
  5. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Standard laces for me. Do them once in the morning and never have to touch them until taking them off.
    Get the boots fitted/moulded to your feet and you will never look back.

Yo Leo likes this.
  6. base615

base615 Addicted

I feel your pain mate. I can't get boots to fit so I've grown used to dealing with heel lift and not being able to feel my feet after less than 5 minutes. If I ride for more than 2 or 3 days in a row I have holes in my heels. My feet are a size 6 in length, size 12 in width, collapsed arch and stupidly high instep. Basically cubes.

CG_Foot-Trace_Right.jpg

The Burton Concords I have now are about the best I've had but it's just constant pain I just have to accept unfortunately.

It's even worse at the moment as I'm trying to find new mountaineering boots. Just impossible and I can't find a manufacturer you will do custom made boots (need them for high altitude). I've reached the point where I'm actually considering amputating my little toes and the outside of my feet, no joke.

The best thing I've done, although not perfect, is get custom footbeds. It holds my arch up a bit and stops my foot spreading even more. Gravity Sports in Jindy are great for that and I'd highly recommend it.

Yo Leo and LMB like this.
  7. Kenziepettit

Kenziepettit One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I won't touch BOA and dont recommend people do. While you gain the ease of tie untie speed, you lose control of how you want to tie. Laces give you a the ability to add / take pressure where you need to.
    Freezing isn't a problem. Tie them properly at the start of the day, then retie at lunch inside once they have warmed up. The boot will usually change slightly as your feet warm so retying at lunch is usually good.
    Only issue I really ever have with freezing is taking them off after a day at buller with heavy moisture. This isn't a huge issue as its end of day.

Also dont discount how good it feels to tie laces. I've ridden boas, its just not the same Haha

8. hatto

Have you done heat moulding?

9. hatto

This is how I do mine.

Yo Leo likes this.
  10. Yo Leo

Yo Leo Early Days

Great that is what I wanna hear. Because people were saying that you keep losing tightness on standard lacing. Good to know that if you lace properly you can avoid that.
    btw, to get the liner heat moulded to my feet, is it additional service? Or buying the boots in store they will do it for me?
    Thanks!

11. Yo Leo

Yo Leo Early Days

Coo!
    Thanks for sharing! I will save this video for later!

12. LMB

I hear ya re the mountaineering boots.
    My feet aren’t too problematic, but those mega high altitude boots have such a freaking narrow last! Sadly the one that WAS wider has a new design and is back on the narrow last again!! NOPE! I was just having a whinge about this last night. Without the gear you can’t do the activity and they don’t make the gear to fit everyone!

base615 likes this.
  13. silva

silva One of Us

My preference is speed laces but I would choose a boot for its comfort first and lacing system second. I love the thought of Boas but they just do not agree with my feet (similar issues to you Yo Leo). I have also had normal laces though and found that there are ways to make sure they stay nice and tight. Crossing your laces over between each set of eyelets makes a big difference in getting them tight in the first place. Like this but I only did it for the top half of the boot where you are going around hooks not through eyelets - I found I could get the boots much tighter and they did not loosen.
    [​IMG]

You can also miss lacing points if you have pressure points on the top of your foot which can be a god send if you have difficult feet to fit - sort of like the wide foot and high arches pictures below:
    [​IMG]

base615, qwill, hatto and 3 others like this.
  14. Yo Leo

Yo Leo Early Days

Man you pretty much drew my feet! hahaha
    Seriously no joke. My feet are very similar. So I feel I will struggle still! :)

base615 likes this.
  15. Yo Leo

Yo Leo Early Days

Wow that is good material. Exactly what the boot fitter in store told me about the standard lacing. You can fully customise it and since I have very problematic feet I start considering getting standard lacing straight away. But when friends mentioned the pain to re tight I thought I should get more experience people advice.

Cool thanks for sharing! I will probably get the most comfortable and customisable ones then.

16. base615

base615 Addicted

Yep. Even tried heat moulding with a stretching device in.

17. hatto

Not all shops have custom fitting so find one that does.
    My boots are seriously like normal shoes to wear, (never get sore feet)

LMB and Yo Leo like this.
  18. hatto

Bummer, My eldest has bad feet and for the last 3 years once he got boots that fitted properly and moulded to suit, has no issues now

19. base615

base615 Addicted

Yeah, the Millets used to work for me but either my feet have got wider or the boots are on a different last. The Scarpa Phantoms seem narrow for a boot everyone says are wide and the La Sportivas are ridiculous. Seriously frustrating. I've spent more than $400 in return postage recently and I think I've reached the end of the line unless I can get a manufacturer to help with a bespoke pair.

LMB likes this.
  20. hatto

I have those gel footbeds in mine and 30 days boarding in a row and still no soreness.
    First tried the gel bed for workboots(factory environment) and wow what a difference

Yo Leo likes this.
  21. base615

base615 Addicted

Definitely the footbeds help a massive amount.

Yo Leo likes this.
  22. Yo Leo

Yo Leo Early Days

I will check it out with my shop for heat molded and foot beds on Gravity Sports in Jindy next time!
    Thanks guys!

base615 likes this.
  23. Ripsnorting

Ripsnorting One of Us

Normal laces are fine, just make sure you carry some spare cause they can/will break. Speed laces are pretty much trouble free. Protruding boa dials aren’t great if they catch on something and break. Your day is basically over. Foot pain can be caused by laces or bindings too tight or a combination of both. So maybe play around with that a little bit.

Yo Leo likes this.
  24. Yo Leo

Yo Leo Early Days

Thanks mate!
    Yes I was doing pretty much it on my last day on the mountain... then I realised my binding strap doesnt have to be cracked down on my feet. I stopped when I felt a bit of pressure and it worked well. I will keep on trying. thanks

25. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I have worn every sort of boot. (I've owned 13)
    DC judge with double boa is my go to.
    Allows me to dial in fit.
    I have a wide short foot with high arch.
    Custom footbeds and heat moulding...

Yo Leo and qwill like this.
  26. Donzah

IMO I would avoid and sort of Burton boot with wide feet.
    Look at DC and Deeluxe

Yo Leo likes this.
  27. LMB

The laces in my Nike Boots aren’t going to break in this century and they’re about 7years old - thick a.f.!

I’ve snapped a set of speed laces on my Ions

Gaffer tape.
    The snowboarders best friend.
    And yes, I have had to use it on a snapped boa cable LOL

28. Yo Leo

Yo Leo Early Days

Unfortunately I found out this too late... but yes when I went to the shop the ones I found more comfortable for my feet were DC! it looks like to have more room inside...
    Thanks!

29. Donzah

Yeah when I sold boots in a shop. We started people out in a DC boot if they had a wider shorter foot with high arch.

Yo Leo likes this.
  30. Ripsnorting

Ripsnorting One of Us

I should have said in my experience. I’ve busted heaps of normal laces. Snapped off a boa in the trees oob in the middle of nowhere and never had an issue with speed laces. So there you go. :)

LMB likes this.
  31. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

The message has been pretty clear from everyone, but just to reiterate - the best boot for you is the one that fits your foot.

If you are looking at Burton boots, look for "Asian fit" - these boots offer more width for the same length, possibly giving you more room.

Once you have found a boot that fits *reasonably* well (which it sounds like you have), check out this series of videos from Angry snowboarder - it's his boot fitting 101 series, where he shows you all sorts of customisation options you can use to try and get a fit that works for you.

LMB and Yo Leo like this.
  32. Donzah

Right pic
    [​IMG]

33. Yo Leo

Yo Leo Early Days

Thanks for that!

Coincidentally I ended up on angry snowboarder page because I google how to size your boots if you have one foot longer than the other one! :)
    Watching the video right now!
    Thanks