Bug Report Thread caching - FIXED

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoStuAU

One of Us
May 30, 2015
Melbourne City, VIC
Sadly I am having a thread caching issue. Though I believe only on the mobile version of the forums - running on my S8 and Google Chrome.

Most I've noted that a thread will say it has new posts and upon loading it up nothing comes up - hit back, refresh and then it loads except the thread won't jump to the most recent unread post

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Sadly I am having the same issue. Though I believe only on the mobile version of the forums - running on my S8 and Google Chrome.

Most I've noted that a thread will say it has new posts and upon loading it up nothing comes up - hit back, refresh and then it loads except the thread won't jump to the most recent unread post

@Richard does this sound similar to the FF cache issue you experienced?

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Got all sorts of shit going on here, desktop and phone, multiple browsers/devices.

All my alerts seem to be from days ago and updating at random.

Reactions: Donza

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Mine is on Android - running chrome.
My notifications are all muddled up. Showing Old ones usually. Then when I click on the thread it hasn't updated for say 12 hours.
I need to refresh. Then once I do. New alerts and the thread has updated.
I have to do this for each thread.

Reactions: Red_switch
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
My notifications are all muddled up. Showing Old ones usually. Then when I click on the thread it hasn't updated for say 12 hours.
This be my issue

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town

I was getting this on the latest Firefox release on desktop prior to my holidays.

Could not figure it other than it’s definitely a caching issue - and it’s the browser, not network or server.

I suspect it may be something to do with the way the browsers are all going nazi with secure and that is messing with caching but there is no discernible pattern yet.

So reported issues are not being dismissed, but may be the NY before I can nail it. I’m travelling until the 4th

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I was getting this on the latest Firefox release on desktop prior to my holidays.

Could not figure it other than it’s definitely a caching issue - and it’s the browser, not network or server.

I suspect it may be something to do with the way the browsers are all going nazi with secure and that is messing with caching but there is no discernible pattern yet.

So reported issues are not being dismissed, but may be the NY before I can nail it. I’m travelling until the 4th
It's fine... I just switched to Firefox.

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Had not been an issue for me until yesterday. Now seriously fcuked. Chrome on android on Galaxy S5. Light style.

An active thread will be bolded, showing new replies. Opening the thread shows no new replies until I hit the browser's refresh button.

Also getting weird effects and delayed response when I try to reply to a thread I have to refresh. E.g. I triple posted in the "Mega Thread" thread. Will try to get screen shot tonight.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Had not been an issue for me until yesterday. Now seriously ****ed. Chrome on android on Galaxy S5. Light style.

An active thread will be bolded, showing new replies. Opening the thread shows no new replies until I hit the browser's refresh button.

Also getting weird effects and delayed response when I try to reply to a thread I have to refresh. E.g. I triple posted in the "Mega Thread" thread. Will try to get screen shot tonight.

@Marty_McSly

Do you know if you had a recent update on your phone by any chance?

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
@Marty_McSly

Do you know if you had a recent update on your phone by any chance?
Not sure about Chrome, but the OS hasn't updated for some months.
Screenshot_2018-01-02-10-54-00.png

Screenshot_2018-01-02-10-54-25.png

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
When I open a thread from Active Topics, it opens at the top of the last page of the thread. I suspect it even does that when I have unread posts on the previous page.

When I refresh, it goes down to the first new post.

When replying, I get this when I hit the smiley button:
Screenshot_2018-01-02-10-44-23.png

The black block under the title bar flashes, the lower black block with the triangles is static. No matter how much I hit Back, I can't backtrack and have to close the window, open a new one and log back in again.

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Not sure if this is related or not, but I'm seeing a lot of images not displaying in threads lately. Pic below is from https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/i-found-doonks-jokes-stash.80233/#post-3471487

Screenshot_2018-01-06-14-49-08.png

When I went to reply to MM to get up him for not linking the image properly, to my surprise the image was visible in the reply. So I cancelled the reply and refreshed the page, but still only got the broken link pic.

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Also seeing a lot of this, especially after the screen plays up after attempting to use smilies:

Screenshot_2018-01-06-15-48-24.png

I generally have to wait 5 to 10 minutes before I can access the site again when that happens.

Reactions: Richard

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
And the really odd one...

Some time in the last couple of weeks I accidentally clicked "Add to Home Screen" when ski.com.au was the active tab. Out of sheer frustration I opened the resulting app/widget/whatever tonight, to find that everything works perfectly.

Switch back to the Chrome tab, all the problems are still there.

Switch back to the "app", works perfectly...

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I suspect Richard is shaking his head in utter bewilderment at some of these reports.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Add me to the having problems list, nothing serious but notifications are all screwy. Only last day or so for me.
Droid/chrome

Glad it's not just me :)
Makes me think it is an update with reports like this...

tis bizzare

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Also seeing a lot of this, especially after the screen plays up after attempting to use smilies:

I generally have to wait 5 to 10 minutes before I can access the site again when that happens.

this is useful clue, thank you.

That error is a javascript error on your browser, not a server error, so again, it's definitely a browser issue.

Do you happen to run an ad-blocker by default?

(Even though you are a full member with no ad-tech being served this error is sometimes associated with ad-block plus screwing with AJAX which is used by the lazy loader)

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
ok, ta

process of elimination

I strongly suspect it is a fail to read the session cookie now the site is secure with a particular browser config.

stormhunter

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2017

running a VPN? and you get that google error.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Attn all posting in this thread.

Please advise what device and browser combo you are using, and if a phone + android, which browser and brand of phone pls

At the moment I can not recreate on a phone - I'm only getting intermittant issues on a PC + Firefox combo.

Reactions: piolet
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass