1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo 2011 Reports & Pics Thread

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by skiflat, Apr 12, 2011.

1. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Re: Thredbo 2011 Reports & Pics Thread

on day 3 of lessons, my snowboard instructor took us down a very typical-condition Dream Run - more like a nightmare

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse One of Us

The only reason I could ever see for going down dream run on a snowboard is to avoid downloading on merritts. The steep section when covered well can be nice but the out run from memory can be a pain on a snowboard if you don't get enough speed up (and they have started to put barriers at the bottom of these runs to avoid people going too fast down there).

But in other news today was a lot of fun. Nice cover, manageable lines & a good temperature for pushing yourself. Looking forward to catching up with Tele tomorrow [​IMG]

#202 Dark Horse, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. ODNT

ODNT Part of the Furniture

My first experience at threbo, like how newbies stayed at friday flat, didnt like it when kosi was shut as I liked area up at Basin, karels T bars the best. Best coffee at corner shop outside supermarket, dont get it from bakery, best food but $ was berntis. Poor preparation fron lift staff on some mornings imo, people just pushing through electronic gates at snowgums when kosi shut, still putting up barriers 30 min after lifts open. Up to 30 min lift lines if kosi shut. Yes it was first week of School Hol. Being picky never seen a lifty clean ice/snow off a chair, cold bum every morning. Nice village, donza right, not suitable for kids under 10 who cant carry own skis, too many stairs. Great massage at alpine hotel, she use work on NZ super 12 sides , one of my best ever. Reasonable priced food i thought around resort. Couldnt demo anything other than rossi over 100ml under foot, dont hold much of a range of skis in the shops at thredbo, the shops cater for the top end market in clothing etc. Stayed at snow goose apart, great stay, nice managers, would go back again when kids older. < rant finished>.

4. Izzy

Izzy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Snowboards should be banned on Dream Run....

[​IMG]

#204 Izzy, Jul 14, 2011
  5. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Anyone who can't ski the fallline should be banned from Dream Run, then don't groom it and let it mogul up.

6. Izzy

What he said...

7. Donza

Donza Pool Room

moguls?
    icey as..

wtf..
    what a waste

8. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Wasted as it is with all the sideways scrapers (one and two planked).

9. Izzy

Not if the boarders and snowploughers stayed away.

#209 Izzy, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  10. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Today was crowded, but the skiing was good. Had a slide with Dark Horse, great to meet you, fun slide. Standout for me was off Karels, down Swaggies into Cannonball. And skiing through Dark Horse's spray on Little Beauty.

Lots of injuries around. A kid fell off Cruiser (Told by a few people) and broke leg, or legs, I would say that was the chopper just before. Ski Patrol must be feeling it, so be nice and cut them some slack.

11. gareth_oau

what are the potential consequences of a kid falling off a chairlift? are we looking at seatbelts on all chairlifts?

12. telecrag

Its school holiday madness. You could film my TV show, "Ski Patrol", in just two weeks.

I keep an eagle eye, and if they are wrigglers, a hand on the scruff, of any milo kids I take up.

Dont know how old, and wasnt around, so heresay at the moment, so far as the lift incident.

13. Sweens

Sweens First Runs

Very correct Telecrag about School Holiday madness, people, kids out of control everywhere,

For me Sponars was pretty solid, queue was definitely shorter than either of the quads and the snow was pretty nice, so stuck with it for most of the day

14. Mils

Mils One of Us

It was crazy busy today but there was plenty to get, if you went up high, we found plenty of sections. and had an awesome day! Lennies Leap has some really nice super dry windblown snow so any turn looked amazing (or in my case epic stack, lead to an epic plume of snow in the air! ) [​IMG]

Cover was great is heaps of sections just off the groomed runs. we went along upper traverse then walked up the mountain and found our own line down around the rocks, some nice deep soft powder along there! Was so cool to try to make a snowball and the snow just didn't stick together at all!

pic of looking up to Karells to show just how much cover there was.

[​IMG]

All in all an excellent 4th time snowboarding!

#214 Mils, Jul 14, 2011
  15. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

I stood around the bottom of kosi chair at ~9am yesterday and saw 2 patrol sleds taking the unfortunate off the hill. That was likely first run of the day for them.

Last year a kid fell of EDI and little repercussion came from it.

16. Izzy

Geez I hope not. For the life of me I cannot understand how you can fall off a chairlift IF the bar is down. I am guessing that poor little tacker that fell
    didn't have the bar down and was playing silly buggers. If he/she was really little, WTF were the adults doing?

#216 Izzy, Jul 15, 2011
  17. slalom pete

slalom pete Hard Yards

All the rules in the world won't prevent stupidity.

18. Donza

Donza Pool Room

a kid felll off the Cruiser a few years back as well..during school holidays

horrible

#218 Donza, Jul 15, 2011
  19. Donza

Donza Pool Room

they slip under the bar..

#219 Donza, Jul 15, 2011
  20. SNJ

SNJ One of Us

Back in 01 on a school trip a chick fell off the chair on Friday flat. She lifted the bar and moved forward preparing to unload. Chairlift stopped for whatever reason, momentum in the chair swinging sent her off. It'll always happen somewhere each season if people aren't careful.

21. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

I'm surprised more kids don't fall off chairs each year. My 2 littlies (5 and 10) always seem to treat chairlift rides as an excuse to wriggle around in their seats, hang over the bar and look down on the people skiing underneath. I always have an arm on/around them if I'm riding with them, but when miss 10 year old is in ski school with her mates I'm sure theres no adult riding with her and the possibility of accidentaly slipping under the barr (especially when the seats are icy) is pretty high.

kids being kids dont always think about the consequences of what they are doing - what seems like mucking around can soon turn nasty if they slip at the wrong moment.

Take it easy out there kids!

22. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

IMO taking Milo kids on the Gunbarrel & Cruiser is a big responsibility to put on total strangers. We ALWAYS get them to sit back, as they DO tend to sit on the edge of the chair and look down. Their little legs as so short they swing in space above the foot bar and it would be so easy for them to slip off from their perch.
    Still its always fun to chat to them and encourage their adventure.

23. gareth_oau

true, but the cardigan-wearers can create a crap-load more rules to make everyone elses' lives a misery

#223 gareth_oau, Jul 15, 2011
  24. scottik187

scottik187 Hard Yards

A little something called personal responsibility perhaps???

In north america they dont even put the safety bar down ... here you get shot at if you don't.

25. telecrag

Skied for half the day, snow was good again, bit firmer first up, off-piste is good.

Got told by a woman, who's son saw the akko, that they were having trouble lowering the bar (unsure what kind) and the kid slipped. His dad held on to him, the lift was stopped, and people were running mats out to put under, when he must have been unable to hold, and fell. Two broken legs, and a hip.

The scene from Cliffhanger pops into my sick head. The poor guy.

If its the real story, its like Chinese wispers.

26. Dark Horse

Dark Horse One of Us

Yesterday was awesome, Thanks for the slide & showing me around a few new places [​IMG] (And for putting up with me having to constantly do up my bindings :))

On the topic of falling off chairlifts my wife and I were lined up for snow gums behind a ski school class of young kids. The instructor was very firm and very loud when he said to them "I want everyone to sit still and not move on the lifts" and continued with consequences if they didn't do anything. He obviously had a few issues with kids bouncing around during the morning.

I was honestly surprised today was so nice. Because yesterday was fairly sunny and there had been no serious snow for a few days I was expecting it all to be firm pack and a bit "icy", but was really happy with how good it was. Great for runs both on and off & the lifts seemed relatively quiet today.

#226 Dark Horse, Jul 15, 2011
  27. Sweens

Sweens First Runs

Last two days have had great weather, although this has also brought with it crowds, hopefully the child who fell of the lift will recover, along with apparently a 16-year-old girls who had a suspected broken back, not sure whether that is correct or not

Two pictures from Thursday Morning:
    [​IMG]

#227 Sweens, Jul 15, 2011
  28. rugbyskier

rugbyskier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just got back home from another weekend in Thredbo. I think that Saturday was one of the best ever days I've experienced at Thredbo. The cover is fantastice, it was sunny and still on Saturday but the temperature stayed cold and the snow was in good condition all the way to the bottom all day.

29. K10

K10 Hard Yards

Yes - It was great on Saturday RS
    The snow was Northern Hemisphere squeaky cold -10C overnight and stayed cold all day
    Warmed up on Sunday and felt weird to feel typical wet sticky snow down low again

About the kid falling off
    I am a stickler for not opening the bar until in the lift station ( where the sign says "Lift safety bar here")
    If they wanted you to lift it 2 towers from the top station they would put the sign 2 towers back
    There are a few reasons I am a bit of a saftey bar nazi
    1 I ski with a back pack
    2 More importantly I ski with my kids
    3 I have seen what can happen when the lift stops in a hurry
    4 I have fallen off the Kosci chair - My tyre hit the concrete and pulled me off the chair last summer [​IMG]

PS Rugby Skier - a friend of a friend had a lesson with you on Sunday - Said you were excellent!

#229 K10, Jul 19, 2011
  30. Mils

Mils One of Us

I hope the kid recovers okay [​IMG] and yeah I wish people didn't lift the bar as early as they do. [​IMG]

#230 Mils, Jul 19, 2011
  31. rugbyskier

K10, you've made my day with that feedback [​IMG]

Mils, you don't have to let the other people lift the bar early. Keep your skis/board on the footrest if the chair has it, or hold the bar down with your arm and if they try to lift it say "I don't want to fall off if there's an emergency stop."

#231 rugbyskier, Jul 19, 2011
  32. telecrag

If they hit you with the, what are ya scared? Come back with, not as scared as you will be after I punch ya in da throat.

I have been on lifts where someone gets pretty frantic about getting the bar up in time, it doesnt take that long peeps, you could do it past that net thing. Which always makes me think of jumping off early btw.

K10 with his bike was the second funniest lift exit I have seen. Except the other one was at the top, he didnt clear the exit pad at the bottom. Well he did end up past it.....

33. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

hows it looking down there this week folks? looks like its a bit damp. due to arrive tomorrow and ski Thurs-Sun. really hoping I dont have to ski in the rain for the 4th year in a row..

34. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

Perisher have reported it's snowing but Thredbo still has clear, dense snow snow. I'll keep my FB & tweets updated on changes today.

35. tbnext

tbnext One of Us

Hey Rugbyskier, K10 is nicking my friend.

She had a lesson Sat with a guy "leaving" that day-we took her to merrits after and she hated it.

Then lesson with you sun which she loved, you advised them not to do High noon-which I get but I took her-she came willinglly. First go three falls, second go none. I thank you-she trusts me as well but would never have gone without your confidence building.

BTW-she loves it now-I mean it.

36. rugbyskier

Thank you tbnext, getting such feedback makes the 400km round trip every weekend worth it. Seeing those you instruct progress and achieve new goals gives me a lot of satisfaction - that's why I've been doing it for eight winters now.

I know now your friend is Mel. I saw her on HN when I was skiing with a club mate who is a former instructor, I laughed and said "I told the group not to come down here" and he said "it's the old 'friends lessons' thing". She looked like she was doing OK though. You may recall two guys who were doing warp factor nine on skier's left of the terrain park - I was in the green jacket.

37. ODNT

ODNT Part of the Furniture

Thats a good point RS, every lift I take I wont let the bar be lifted until after the last pylon or close enough so the net ( if there is one ) takes your fall. Ive had a few looks & got questioned once. I replied " dont make decisions of safety for everyone" I got support as 2 others replied "yeh thats right" . On express 8 perisher.

38. telecrag

Hmmm, thats strange. Just got in, and it appears to still be presnowing. Must be going to turn something savage soon and dump 20, I mean I havent had a bad day yet.

Some say I am a dreamer....

BWD, we may have to ban you.

39. telecrag

As I put my skis on this morning, it started snowing, finally. First few runs had me cursing, fk, what has he done to my skis? Then I discovered that I had missed a bit with one heelthrow, and the binding was only being held on by the leash (bomber). Fixed that and had some fun groomer runs. Bit soggy, but really fun.

Got a bit more interesting in the pm, when we headed off-piste. Crusty baby. Though had a pretty good run down Cannonball. Finished with a blast down the Rossi race course. Looking cold tonight, its going to be bullet proof tomorrow probably. But..

If you cant ski it all, you shouldnt ski at all.

So in pursuit of being not just able to ski it all, but to nail it all, I shall continue to try and hurt myself. Crossed em up today coming into the crust off Conrods for the first time in years, and bit it. I just need to get better at it.

40. Arne

Arne One of Us

Arrived this morning after the wettest drive I've ever had from Sydney. Rain, snow mix as I loaded the kosi. Maybe a 10cm loss at the bottom and a 10cm gain at the top since last weekend. The top of the mountain heavily socked in with cloud/fog.

Snow was/is ugly compared to last week. Saturated base with a frozen crust of about 1-2cm above 1700m. Best runs are the groomers on the t-bars. My pick being Conrod. Skiing off piste, a test of skill, up high on Karels you could stay on the surface. Dropping into the Golfy, and skiing where no one skied yesterday you could peel off the crust as you broke through and became thinner as you lost elevation. Nice... Poking my pole in the snow it was bottomless unconsolidated granular. And the lower you went the deeper you would sink. At times boot deep spring snow. Between the Cat track and Bunnywalk knee deep, like skiing slow heavy powder.

Surprisingly the snow although thick was fast. My pace was 50% usual most of the morning increasing during the arvo to maybe 75% as it became colder, and harder and you had a less tendency to brake through the crust. At about 3pm the clouds disappeared to reveal the heavily rimed upper mtn. Trees, buildings rocks incased in rime. Everything started to freeze fast and the Supertrails lumps became an air carvers delight. I have to say I didn't ski the kosi much.

Currently it's snowing again, and it may help up high. The groomers will be rock solid first thing, softening to lumps mid morning.

Considering the conditions everyone I rode with was having a ball, and will again tomorrow. I reckon it may even get cold enough to start up the snow guns.

Ski testing tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying the Kendos and ARVs if Armada shows up.

At about 3pm the

41. telecrag

Today was a bit ugly, but of course I still had fun, and found a few runs here and there. Dont mind hard groomers first thing either, although it looked like they had a hell time grooming, it was pretty shocking in parts. But unless it really dumps, I dont think I will ski weekends again. People seem to leave their manners, morality, and minds, at home. A few good laughs though. Sundowner was like a war zone on the way down at the end of the day. Everyone I saw fell over, like there was a sniper taking them out.

Hung out with K10, and tbnext and M10, and mogul monster? (tbnext's +1 I have forgotten his moniker) and another friend, and regular.

Beautiful day, blue skies, no wind, sort of made up for some pretty ordinary skiing.

42. telecrag

Today was really fun. First up we had a few cms of fresh, on top of one of the best grooms I have seen this season. It was soo oh smooth and fast. It kept snowing on and off all day, pretty much every type of snow we get here fell at some point. No wind, and mostly great vis = really pretty. The off-piste was still not great, but better than yesterday.

Does anyone else ski Thredbo? Maybe someone WITH a camera? Sweens?

43. waylow

waylow Hard Yards

I'll be down in a few weekends hopefully.....

44. Sweens

Sweens First Runs

Yea, I usually use the camera on my phone to take pictures if the weather is alright/the snow isn't so good that I won't stop
    But I won't be down again for a couple of weekends unfortunately

Interesting your comments on the grooming, maybe it is just me but this year the grooming has been of a sub-par standard, June Long Weekend was absolutely atrocious, but you can attribute some of that to the hard base at the start of the season, during the school holidays some of the days weren't pretty, but others weren't too bad, personally Sunday 17th was the best day of the 10 days I was down there.

Possibly some of the groomers have left and/or the restructure of management has affected the grooming, either way hopefully it will improve as the season goes on

#244 Sweens, Jul 24, 2011
  45. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

i think it's just hard for them to get an ugly soaking wet snow pack to flaten out.

46. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I got back from 3 days at Thredbo in the wee small hours this morning.

The snow had been rained on, packed down and groomed, and then subjected to temperatures around -8 or -9 for a few nights, then lightly snowed on.

Friday - overcast, cold, a mix of ice and firm slush. The firm slush wasn't bad to ski on. The ice was survival skiing in places.

Saturday - beautiful weather, hardly a cloud in the sky or a breath of wind. The snow conditions were pretty dreadful though - central spur was ice with death cookies on top, supertrail was bulletproof with a little shaved ice and/or sugar on top. The cat track was a foot deep in sugar and as a member of the ACL club I found it worrying to ski on because it was so deep and grabby. There was also some soft-ish slush, just to provide a little variety.

Sunday was supposed to be another bluebird day but we woke to falling snow and intermittent cloud on the top half of the mountain which gradually increased as the day wore on. The snow was better than the previous two days but still treacherous with lots of hard pack in places. There was some great snow to be found despite the fact you had to cover some unpleasant territory to find it. I'm told central spur had nice snow with rotten visibility.

I saw quite a few people being brought down by ski patrol this weekend. There is a lot of bulletproof snow at or very close to the surface and a lot of people are getting caught out on it. The snow can change very dramatically in the space of 15 metres and if you're not able to react it'll bite. I was 10 metres away from one kid who lost grip with his downhill edge at relatively low speed, fell on his side and had to get carted off by ski patrol with a very sore (and probably damaged) leg.

It's great fun in places (and everywhere it's better than being in the office) but take care - it's not a picnic out there at the moment if you're not a reasonable intermediate skier. Hopefully we'll get some more fresh snow soon.

47. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

Fresh snow on the top 2/3 of the mountain (cat shed and higher) - a dusting at minimum, fog, cloud or snow is moving in.

48. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Just spent a long weekend skiing Thredbo.
    Pretty variable snow quality through the day.....but generally very good up top....sugar down the bottom.
    But who can argue with the coverage for July? Excellent.

What I could argue about though was general service quality. Sure there were some notable brilliant exceptions (I'm pointing at Knickerbocker).....but otherwise plenty of dissappointly surly lifties, ticketing issues (which one apologetic staff member assured me had been going on for ages despite a few lifties raising the problem) and service that was not a "fair exchange" for the price paid. If this was a cheap resort, fine.....fair exchange could be argued. But it ain't. And after 3 days of great skiing.....I still felt slightly ripped.

If these staff were in a some US resorts, they'd be sacked within a day. One morning, I looked at my ski buddy and said, "lets say good morning to every lifty as we get on.....and see how many we get a reply from". Well I can report were were 0 from 7 until we got a replied greeting!!!!!!

49. ssar

ssar One of Us

My dad is skiing Thredbo atm (Tues morn 26Jul11), says: "Spectacular skiing. 15cm fresh powder up high. Bluebird day, enough wind to keep snow dry."
    Bastard.

50. ssar

ssar One of Us

Yea, I really hate that.
    I expect good service from ALL staff in the ski resort, from bus drivers, to cleaners, to cashiers, to lifties, to rental technicians, eatery staff, the lot.
    Patrons pay a lot of money to use the facilities and should expect a fairly good level of such.

I have occasionally submitted feedback forms etc. mentioning it and will more actively do it in the coming years, as well as make such complaints heard by word-of-mouth and online as it's just not acceptable.

#250 ssar, Jul 26, 2011