1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo 2011 Reports & Pics Thread

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by skiflat, Apr 12, 2011.

1. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Re: Thredbo 2011 Reports & Pics Thread

Praying for snow - we arrive Friday for a few days.

2. Mils

Mils One of Us

Friday looks clear there might be rain Sunday. Hopefully the whole system gets pushed south like next to everything this august.

3. looseygoosey

looseygoosey First Runs

Yeah i'll be there for Friday for the weekend. Not holding too much hope for good conditions but theres always the groomers until it softens i suppose!

4. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

We went BC on the w/e, caught KE up, the T-bars and upper half of ST look pretty good.
    FF looks amazingly good.

5. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

More pics and reports please

STAT

6. rugbyskier

rugbyskier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

No pics but I can give a report on the weekend's conditions.

Saturday: Had an early run on High Noon. Was firm first up but not too icy except for a few patches that you could avoid. Did four hours of snowploughs on Friday Flat, which is holding up very well in the sun. Had 90 minutes in the middle of the day on Cruiser and High Noon. Snow was still reasonably good on Ballroom and starting to get sugary on the middle section of High Noon, with bumps developing. Did some more snowploughs on FF before two runs down High Noon at the end of the day. HN by that stage was quite moguled and was starting to firm up with the sun now off it.

Sunday: Had the morning on the Cruiser and Walkabout was sugary and firm in patches but softened during the morning. Squatters Run was the best up there, the snow was not too soft. Ballroom wasn't too bad either but the heavier traffic was chopping it up. Then did just over an hour on High Noon from 12 to 1:15 and it was in good condition, firm but soft enough to get a good edge grip if you were carving. Despite the sunny weather the temperature didn't get too high, shady areas still had frost at lunchtime.

7. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Thanks [​IMG]

#307 skiflat, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  8. white_beanie

white_beanie Part of the Furniture

Hang in there Thredbo!! (and Perisher!)

9. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

so RS, have you finally got the hang of those snowploughs yet?

10. rugbyskier

rugbyskier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

One can never do too many snowploughs, Gareth [​IMG]

Doing snowploughs, skiing backwards and skating up the hill, plus having to tackle out of control first-timers (the rugby training comes in handy there) is rather tiring. I fell asleep on the lounge in the TV room of my club lodge on Saturday evening after dinner, then had to drag myself upstairs to bed at 10pm.

#310 rugbyskier, Aug 22, 2011
  11. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Ruck!!

12. Nikki_o

Nikki_o One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I was rather hoping to see some pretty pics of Thredbo not rugby talk! [​IMG]

RS, one of the ski instructors was brought into the medical centre on Sunday with a dislocated shoulder, taken out by one of his students [​IMG] He didn't look very impressed.
    I think I saw a tiny hint of a smile as he overheard my story and witnessed the antics of my boys. [​IMG]

I do hope he is ok.

#312 Nikki_o, Aug 22, 2011
  13. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

saw this pic on Thredbo Facebook - looks amazing!

Taken on Monday, "Pushing snow at the top of the Cruiser for Freeride Final and One Hit Wonder jump, Sept. 6-10"

[​IMG]

#313 gareth_oau, Aug 24, 2011
  14. DaveT

DaveT Hard Yards

We saw them build that jump last year. Our first thoughts were that they were farming the snow to push further down the hill. When someone said it was a jump we thought "Crazy!"

BTW, is anyone down at Thredbo at the moment? How is the base holding up with the warmer weather? Is the nightly snow making helping out?

We arrive on Saturday for the start of an 8 day stay. Regardless of the conditions we'll make the most of it and have a blast - just hoping for something a bit firmer higher up the mountain.

15. Sweens

Sweens First Runs

The picture shows pretty well how the base is holding up, at least off piste, the walls of snow are higher then the cat

16. scottik187

scottik187 Hard Yards

They were building that jump when I was down there 2 weeks ago. HUGE amount of snow in that one ... looks awesome.

I think the season will be done and dusted by 20 september this year, like it was a few years ago. No snow coming, and once that september sun hits and snowmaking stops then its goodbye snow.

17. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Personally I think its going to snow alot around the 5th to 11th september.
    Season extender.
    I've had the 11th sept good around 6 or 7 times in past 10 years..

18. scottik187

scottik187 Hard Yards

Lets hope you're right donza

19. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Wonder if it is/was the site of those great aerial sequences in that Channel Nine snow docco a few weeks back?

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/posts/1348872&page=2

#319 VSG, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  20. Izzy

Izzy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Geez I hope you are right Donza, I am down there for a week from Sunday the 4th. The Frog isn't too enthusiastic about it at this stage, but IMHO he has had a shocker this season with his forecasts.

21. telecrag

Today was interesting.

As I wandered over to the chair, Disco Stu told me not to bother, as the mountain was on ice hold. Tha wat? I headed over to VT, for a coffee off the Italian guys, and hung around chatting for a while. In all this Ken Spain had his private cancel, so we got him to go change, and had a tele lesson with him. So I didnt hit the hill unti 11.30. Skiing was pretty ordinary.

The standout was two runs chasing Ken down Highnoon, after they opened the skiers left side at about 1. All the weird shit he had me doing before that came together, and we ripped it twice, before he had to go change for another lesson. Firm sugary cord, not bad actually.

The last run down ST was horrific. White cement up top, sloopy moguls the rest. I dont understand why I still enjoyed it.

Who ever heard of ice hold? Its bloody windy again, hope not a repeat tomorrow.

22. VSG

Tcrag. Very early, the main thoroughfares, Supertrail et al.. were sheet ice, by all accounts. Legal action if KT allowed punters to ride it.

23. telecrag

One of the race crew fell over 5 times getting to the box, from the sled. It was unbelievable. You could see the groom had melted a bit, then froze solid, weird.

There were rumours that you could see your reflection on Friday Flat.

24. SCHUSS SKI TEAM

SCHUSS SKI TEAM One of Us

THREDBO FAIL

25. VSG

Idiot

26. SCHUSS SKI TEAM

VSG I am sure you would see if quite differently if you got up at 5am to drive to Thredbo, on your only day off in 2weeks, paid $100 for a lift pass and just as you got to the lift got told that it won't be opening till hours later, because someone thinks its too icy. You would not be happy.

If you don't like the ice you are welcome to wait till it softens.

In Europe many of the runs where they hold World Cup events are artificially hardened by injecting water so it freezes hard, Let me tell you it can be bullet proof even by my standards, but no one complains, nor do they close the run.

I want to make a choice for my self is all i'm asking. I'm happy to ski whatever the conditions are. If i don't find the conditions adequate im happy to make that call myself.

27. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

That's BS, the runs that WC events are held on are closed to the public (often for weeks at a time, if not the entire season, as they are dedicated race pistes) and the course workers wear crampons so they can stand up. The average skier (in either Europe or Australia) would struggle to stand up on an injected slope. WC skis are that sharp you could shave with them (I've known people to need microsurgery to reattach tendons after slicing through their gloves and a long way into their thumbs following a fall on to the edges of their skis)

Thredbo have a duty of care for their employees, which would include the ski patrol getting the significant number of injured punters off the hill if the conditions were that bulletproof. If conditions are as bad as is being reported it is a fair chance the ski patrol or lifties would also get injured just trying to do their jobs. Also despite what the waiver says on a lift pass I'm sure that KT could be found liable in court if conditions were deemed to be dangerous and given Australia is now one of the most litigious societies in the world they prooably are not prepared to take the risk

You and your friends may be some skiing gods who can stand up on an ice rink tilted by 45 degrees without crampons while using hire skis, but the other 99.99% of the people that would have been on the hill won't be.

#327 skinavy, Aug 26, 2011
  28. PolePlant

PolePlant Guest

Yeah the Waiver only reduces the lift companies degree of responsibility it doesn't remove it.
    Negligence by itself is waived and a ticket holder has to prove Gross Negiligence to sue and that is very hard but possible.
    If they have lots of signs warning of icy conditions on each run and the risk of falling and sliding then they would not be Grossly Negligent to let people on it and Negligent alone isnt enough.
    But without those signs they could be Grossly Negligent.
    It may be simply that they dont physically have enough of those signs to put out with the appropriate warning so must revert to the situation that unless advised of the dangers properly they could be liable of Gross Negligence claims.

#328 PolePlant, Aug 26, 2011
  29. telecrag

TR

Headed up Thursday for a couple of days. It was pretty windy but a nice day, so I decided to go for a ride on the Jindy tracks

[​IMG][/img]

Then it was horrible Friday, I have already commented on this in my last post, I still had a good day, and for those that didnt get a look, the ice was like nothing I have ever seen before. Heres a pic of HN in the afternoon.

[​IMG][/img]

Yesterday was altogether another day. Had some real fun soft cord runs on HN then Antons and Sponars with tbnext and +1. Then I met up with one of my igloo building mates, who is swapping over to tele, and gave him a few tips. We met some other teles, and after a run they said they had to meet some friends who had come up from Ngarigo. My mate says, we are camped there too, but we have a hottub. Our friends have a hottub too, they reply. Hows that for degrees of seperation, my mate was camped with their friends. Typical for him to have a hottub, as he said, we dont camp light.

I left them to have lunch at Black Sallees, and hooked up with some friends for a couple of hours skiing that gave me another highlight, when I pulled of a nice air, and nailed the moguls below. They also gave me the chance to take this shot

[​IMG][/img]

See, we can all get along!

Apologies for image sizes, friggin fotophucket, also wish I had a decent camera.

#329 telecrag, Aug 28, 2011
  30. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

that last pic is awesome telemonster!

31. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Just back from 3 days at Thredbo.

Friday - no wind, no clouds, cool but not cold. A totally beautiful day. Slushy below Bunnywalk after lunch, Karels was quite icy but apart from a lack of snow depth the rest of the resort was in pretty good shape. The place was pretty deserted and I didn't have to wait in a lift queue for more than 30 seconds all day.

Saturday was almost the same except there was a bit of breeze. Basin, Antons and Sponars were just gorgeous. Similarly slushy below Bunnywalk but later in the day as it started to cool off the slush actually firmed up a bit. It was a bit more crowded but the queues were still negligible.

Other than the great weather and better-than-expected snow, I was lucky enough to spot an echidna on High Noon. It was emerging from the scrub between the terrain park and the groomed run, heading towards Gunbarrel. I pulled up near it and stayed beside it while it crossed the run in case someone ran over it, and by the time it reached the other side there were a dozen people watching it and snapping pics. It's only the second echidna I've seen in the wild - very special.

Sunday was unpleasant. Windy, raining, soggy snow top-to-bottom and the odd pelting with frozen rain. I bailed at lunchtime. Still, 2 bluebird days out of 3 is pretty good!

Sorry - no pics.

Without more snow it'll be in pretty tragic condition in a week or two but as of Saturday night it was a lot better than the cams would suggest.

Edit - looking at the cams just now there seems to have been a LOT of damage in the last 36 hours.

32. telecrag

Just got back, from skiing yesterday, and a half day today. Skiing was pretty good yesterday, with a few little pockets of nice dry snow, about 5cm deep. And I mean small pockets, like 2-5 turns of sweetness. Did Boundary, which had fresh in between the bumps, was fun, until the runout. Take the hikers.

Then it looked like being amazing today, when it started puking dry snow, and settling in the village. For 10 minutes. There were little flurries through the night, and the snowmakers are still at it (in your face Perisher hehe). So although Kosi was on wind hold, the skiing was pretty good again, though variable. Highnoon was very fun, but getting ugly pretty quick past the terrain park. Nice firm and fast on the top half though.

Skied with Ken and ACE, until Ken had to go do some work. Wont see him again until next season, its that sad time of season, when all the people I know, who do the nomad thing, start to leave. So stoked that this season saw me progress to the point that I can ski with people that good, without making a total ass out of myself. For that reason alone, this has been the best season I have had. Goes to prove my theory that, the better you get, the more fun it is.

Fingers are crossed for at least one late dump, one last hurrah before I start spring touring. Next seasons platinum is locked in eddy.

33. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Was contemplating a last trip on the weekend of Sun/Mon 25-26 Sep.

Had a great time this time last year but looking at the cams I'm wondering if it is worth it.

Anybody like to predict what might be left by then ?

I certainly don't like the look of the weather forecast between now and then.

34. DaveT

DaveT Hard Yards

I'd say that anything from midway down would be almost unridable. The Basin and Karels would still have cover although it would be starting to thin out. Top of Sponars and Antons should be OK as well. However, with the warmer weather it will soften early so I would only bank on half day of anything left. The groomers will do their usual great job but you can only work with what you've got.

No new snow predicted and the snow guns have been turned off.

35. SCHUSS SKI TEAM

Thining very fast. I think Highnoon will be out after this Sunday.

Skiing this morning was good, but got soft quick, and water see thru by lunch.

The ungroomed off Sponars and Antons was very good all day long.

Fingers crossed for one more slide next weekend, but there won't be much left. Even on the main range we lost a huge amount of snow since monday.

36. telecrag

Its still T2B, with two jumps, and some straight lining. Made it all the way down the ST at 5pm.

Riding was very ordinary today, but hey, I am amazed that there is as much snow as usual for the end of the season, given Augusts lack of accumulation. Will it make it to closing w/e, its only a week and a bit away.

Will post some pics when I get back.

37. GlenH

Did the fresh snow Tuesday help?

Is there enough snow up high to make a trip worthwhile this weekend? I have been watching the weather and I think some low temps are forecast.

Thanks.

38. telecrag

Antons and Sponars were still pretty solid, even Merritts was impressive, maybe they could smooge that big jump out, and keep it going for another week. I reckon the w/e will be pretty good if you are a keen addict like me. I didnt get up until this afternoon, so the morning will obviously be better. Tomorrow morning might be it for the resort for me though, I like to be skiing first and last days, but a niece has an engagement party on tghe LWE, so we will see....

Highnoon is closed, and the ST may not make the w/e, unless they do some intense farming. Cant see closing with T2B this season, but not missing by much hey.

39. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Goto Perisher- simple

40. GlenH

Normally I do (ski at Perisher) when I go mid season but I have been caught before by Perisher's habit of sudden unannounced lift closures late in the season. I note Blue Cow has now finished.

Late last season I went to Thredbo (for the first time in 13 years) and was very impressed by their serious attempts to keep the place going ...... so I am tempted again.

I note on today's report that Karels is closed. I wonder is that wind hold or has it finished for the season? Last year it was amazing in the final week, shame if it has gone.

The weather forecast is looking like decent overnight minimums this weekend and Monday, even some snow Saturday.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/snowy-mountains/thredbo-village

Oh decisions, decisions!

#340 GlenH, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  41. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Perisher

but a country mile

even if they only have five lifts open they will still have tonnes more snow open than Thredbo.

eg mount P, sun valley combined would triple Thredbos snow IMO.

42. GlenH

I just made email enquiries with both resorts asking what they anticipated for Sat/Sun/Mon.

Thredbo said due to mild weather it is likely that it would just be the Basin and Karels but it will depend on what happens over the next couple of days.

Perisher said Front Valley, Mt Perisher and Centre Valley will be open.

(It's obviously not as good at Thredbo as I had this time last year when it was T2B Super Trail and good sking up high, until lunch time of course, then porridge).

43. telecrag

This morning was a blast on firm cord at Merritts, no one there so big carves, moving over to Antons, which was the pick, then some on Sponars. Its all downloading now, ST closed today, Karels also done. So its Sponars and Antons for mine.

Best runs I had were just before I left, when the off piste turned, you really need to know your way around to get to it though, well without major hiking, but I had some untracked corn in Micheals Mistake area, and a few other CS locations.

44. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Perisher has just had way way more snow than Thredbo this season..

sad but true

In 20 years i've never seen such a difference in base.. both natural and man made

45. telecrag

I am amazed at how well they have strung it out this season, that last little lot they only got 5cm tops, was gone by the time I got there. Will post shots of devastation tomorrow.

46. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I reckon Perisher had 50cm more at 1800 than Thredbo...easy..

it was those Northery systems that gave Perisher a leg up.. not big southerly systems this season

47. Donza

Donza Pool Room

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

cheers SW for pic

#347 Donza, Sep 22, 2011
  48. telecrag

Yeah, but I rode all the way to the bottom yesterday, so it still had the longest run until today. Boy was that pretty.

49. telecrag

Yep, it sure was pretty
    [​IMG][/img]

Yesterday saw a huge line for first lifts at Gunbarrel

[​IMG][/img]

Gotta love spring fashions, yes those are snowbored boots

[​IMG][/img]

Still beautiful up there, with some good skiing for those that know how to find it

[​IMG][/img]
    From top of Sponars, looking towards Karels

[​IMG][/img]
    From top of Antons, looking towards the top of Wiamea/Merrits traverse

#349 telecrag, Sep 23, 2011
  50. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Not lookin steezin gnar gnar.
    Tres saddness