1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Thredbo 2014 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Ian D, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barras

Barras Addicted

So myself, +1, Son and Niece skied Thredbo for the first time yesterday morning, we were only here for 3.5 hours before having to drive home, but we got a couple of runs in, it’s hard to judge what the mountain would be like as a lot of it was closed, we will have to come back in peak season to try it all out another time.

We did a couple of laps of I think the Supertrail, Exhibition, Michaels Mistake, playground, Ballroom, Walkabout, Waimea and multiple of the Traverse’s, and after going over to do the Golf Bowl we found out it was closed so a walk back out was needed. High noon was getting really slow and wet down low.

2. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Some pics from today at Thredbo:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Highest snowchook in Australia at the top of Karel's...

What did one snowman say to the other?

'Do you smell carrots?'

Dad joke contribution.... cheers

Actually had some fun skiing up top, supertrail ok and high noon still manageable. No one around and plenty of space....

[​IMG]

LaNeige, cin, crackson and 1 other person like this.
  3. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Well thats it folks. Down to just Basin today, that was my last ski in the resort for the season. Some very entertaining skiing yesterday, with some t2b runs, bwahahaha, then some slow off piste, topped off with a DHG run, yes, thats right. A bit agricultural, but excellent way to finish.

4. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

I am unsure why Thredbo thinks it worth closing the upper t bars a few days early. Sure they might save a couple of thousand dollars but I think they are leaving themselves open to losing more than that in good will. Oh well the skins will go on at Eagles nest for the next month or so!

5. wangster

wangster A Local

The warm weather and wind (particularly on Sunday night) obliterated the cover on the bottom section of Antons and Sponars. There's no way they could've run the Central Spur t-bars safely yesterday

6. telecrag

Not much good will to lose, I was the only person in the FF bistro on Sunday morning, and it was all still open Sunday. I said a thanks to Thredbo for running everything, just for me!

Question now is, can they keep Basin going till the weekend?

Untele-whippet likes this.
  7. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

In past seasons they have in my opinion made a better effort than Perisher at keeping lifts going into late September and I've had a few fun school holiday visits.

This year Perisher made a noticeablele effort at keeping Guthega running longer, perhaps because of a certain new chair. :)

In the end if the snow dries up nobody can ski anywhere.

8. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

There were a number of unimpressed people in town yesterday who made their feelings known to KT management. Even if they could not open Sponars and Antons, although it would be surprising considering that Antons can be loaded near the Gunbarrell traverse, there appears to be a lot of snow on Karel's and I am unsure why it couldn't have remained open for as long as the Basin. At least it would have helped our backcountry access!

9. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

10. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I like Richard's reports, they are very helpful for those of us at our desks in Sydney!

11. kiter

kiter One of Us

There is an easy way to send thredbo a clear message .dont go there. I and my friends and family after buying thredbo passes until this year got perisher passes . We have moved a considerable amount of money and goodwill out of thredbo ,we also bring a good number of full fee freinds who no longer get dragged along to Thredbo .I'm sure there are lots of other people who have done the same thing as me .I'm sure there are plenty of thredbo riders who will say good riddence to us but it's not good business. I have been over to thredbo this season and I'm sure that people who go there are happy with the lack of queues but I can say that our perisher experience has been excellent with more skiing days on much more varied terrain with lots of areas with little use and great off piste snow,than we ever had at thredbo and surprisingly few queues even on big wind hold days and there are no plans for us to change back to thredbo .( dissapointed though that freedom chair has no footrests and still too many slow chairs)i still have a soft spot for thredbo and if they can get their snowmaking back on track ( it used to poop all over perishers with snow once made later in the season and smarter eg last season was tough but I saw 2 nights effort late in the season put onto a run with no snow at all on it while other high traffic areas that still had snow got none ,weird , I think in 2011 they saved the season We were impressed ,the jump park down low this year didn't make sense .i hear they are getting more fan guns and better off season snow gun maintenance so they can actually make snow when they can early without dicking around fixing things when they should be pumpin out the white stuff . This is good .tell people about it Also what's happening with new lifts and better access to Karels and top of golf course terrain .this would be nice to know about .also what's in store for lifted gumby mtb riders in summer like me . It looked like there was going to be an intermediate run from top to bottom .i can't find anything .not everyone is hardcore .this isn't a whine just telling my story and that of our friends and family .

12. telecrag

The Flow track is beginner/intermediate. Its the year roundedness that keeps me tied to Thredbo, otherwise I would like to alternate, its all good.

Well that and all the people I have got to know there. The only think I would say to Thredbo is, bring Wongy back, I know he fked up big time, but he is one of the good ones. That hurt everyone, punters like me, and your staff. You need a better way to manage those kind of problems, before they become problems. Not easy I know, but I reckon its worth it.

13. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

Absolutely agree on Wongy. He stuffed up but has been here for a long time, has been incredibly friendly and helpful and it is a shame that he has gone.
    KT were talking about a bike trail that was easier than the Flow Trail that was going to go from the top of Crackenback out towards Antons and was to eventually end up at the bottom of the hill to join up with the Thredbo Valley track. It was mentioned before the season started but haven't heard anything since. There is a meeting tomorrow to talk about summer so it will be interesting to hear if it is mentioned there.

14. kiter

kiter One of Us

Yes this is what I heard too .if you can bring it up please ask .id say there is ticket potential there

15. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

See what I can do

16. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Who is Wongy and what did they do?!?!

17. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

The unfortunate skidoo consequence of the day after the night before, I believe.

18. telecrag

Hopefully the DA shit is all go, the trail will be a cracker, my plan is to leave a car at Crackenback and take the run from the top, then down the TvT. Be a good run, 30k odd, fast and flowey. The new track should be about 10k, with pedal sections.

Entries for the Cannonball Festival just opened up, and it sounds like an awesome event, likely to include xc events next year, which will surely see it grow into a huge event on the Australian mtb calendar.

19. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

Thredbo still seem very keen to build an intermediate down hill track. I believe the DA has been submitted but they are waiting for it to be approved under the Kosciusko Development plan(I know that name is incorrect but I cannot remember the exact name of what they need to comply with). They did not appear to be optimistic about it going ahead this summer but are hopeful.

20. rugbyskier

rugbyskier One of Us

I can understand why people are annoyed that Antons and Sponars are closed when there is still a reasonable amount of snow on the runs but realistically those T-bars cannot operate unless either the Supertrail or High Noon is open to allow people to ski out. With both of those runs closed now the only way out would be for people to climb back up the traverse to Gunbarrel and that's neither practical, unless you're fit, nor safe, as the run would have people going downhill and uphill together.

21. Adamski

Adamski Hard Yards

Isn't Waimea and the traverse around to Gunbarrel from that side still skiable?

22. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

The snow is melting very quickly. However the Basin was a lot of fun for an hour or so this morning.

Untele-whippet likes this.
  23. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

One development I would really like to see is access from the top of Sponers back to the basin by a new surface lift.

rugbyskier likes this.
  24. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

October 3.

Still sliding (just) at The Basin

[​IMG]

25. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

Actually the Basin this morning was way better than that looks. The grooming was excellent, or as good as it can be this time of year, the snow fast and the crowds non existent! I think every one skiing this morning described it as fun!

LaNeige likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.