Snow Report Thredbo 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Question without notice. I'll be arriving tomorrow arvo and want to get a few quick turns in before lifts close. I'm generally in the pub by 3pm so my mountain knowledge isn't brilliant for locations on the mountain that thrive when the sun dips behind the range.

Any suggestions?

If there is a bit of wind about stick to the runs that re fill like Waimea or anything around Antons and Sponars.

If it's sunny stick to runs like little beauty etc that see less traffic

Townsend

One of Us
Mar 28, 2014
IMG_1286.JPG

Ventured out of the resort today. There was a lot of sastrugi up high but the snow down lower was superb. Lots of tracks though.

fmdc9

Hard Yards
Sep 20, 2015
Im tempted for a few days at thredbo this season. Noticed the 3 day spring pass on sale until thursday. but im hesitating bwcause something tells me they might start offering discounted day tickets soon. Does anybody remember from previous seasons? Thanks

surfer1

Addicted
Aug 1, 2001
Sydney
Great day again, first chair, and had HN to myself first run, wahoo! Hooked up with @surfer1 for the rest of the morning, unfortunately his +1 came down the hill the wrong way, but will be OK. This afternoon I hit Signature again.

@surfer1

IMG_0361.jpg

Whoopsie
IMG_0378.jpg

On top of Signature
IMG_0403.jpg
Thanks for the report, all good

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    740.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: telecrag

Izzy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Sawtell, NSW
With all this snow on the ground, and potentially more next week, do you think Thredbo will be busy for the school holidays in the last week of September? Looking at accommodation, it seems quite booked up.

Reactions: NewTurns and kaegee

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
Sydney is a long way from the mountains

That is sad, I agree. It's six hours drive (with a couple of rest stops) from my front door in Rozelle to Lantern Apartments in Thredbo (where they let us park for 15 minutes while we lug in and out). I can ski an afternoon after driving down, but driving home after a day of skiing is a grind. When it's just M11 and me, we don't ski the last day. There's no point going for the weekend!

surfer1

Addicted
Aug 1, 2001
Sydney
That is sad, I agree. It's six hours drive (with a couple of rest stops) from my front door in Rozelle to Lantern Apartments in Thredbo (where they let us park for 15 minutes while we lug in and out). I can ski an afternoon after driving down, but driving home after a day of skiing is a grind. When it's just M11 and me, we don't ski the last day. There's no point going for the weekend!
I can recommend the food truck in Bredbo and Some cafe in Collector

Reactions: NewTurns

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
woohoo Thredbo here we come...... love waking up on a Friday knowing I'm off to Thredbo in the afternoon, heart rate down 10 points, check, blood pressure very low, check, stoke very high, check!

Pretty sure my staff know it too, they always seem to wait till winter to ask for pay rises knowing I'm in a good mood.....

Last edited:

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
With all this snow on the ground, and potentially more next week, do you think Thredbo will be busy for the school holidays in the last week of September? Looking at accommodation, it seems quite booked up.
If accomodation is all booked up it probably will be busy.

Generally though it's quieter in September compared to peak season and July school holidays

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Lovely day on the hill
Central Spur is looking amazing
Jumps all over the place and some comp on So you can actually see people launching.

Grooming is great
Off piste still *just* chalky enough in the morning and soft in the arvo.

We've called it early as daughter is shattered but good morning skiing was had.

Looking like an AMAZING September coming up given the current cover and this week's forecast!

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
So this lady was skiing at Thredbo today.

hqdefault.jpg

She tried to smash her way through a boarder in front of me in the singles line at vt. He politely told her the line is 50ft up the hill to which she got lippy with him. Then she tries to smash her way backwards in between us which didn't work either so she pulled in behind me jumping about 20 people. I told her she needs to stop jumping lines. She got lippy and started smashing into the back of my boots. I called her and idiot and she kept smashing into the back of me. I demanded she stop and she went off, saying I had sworn at her and she was calling ski patrol. Then she demands a lifty take some form of action against me while people in the crowd started yelling out 'she's an idiot, she smashed into everyone, she caused it'. I head off up into the basin and she appears 2t's behind me. Just before the top of the t I turned my gopro on to capture audio if she continued making trouble. So at the top she comes over 6ft away and starts taking pics demanding an apology. When I refused to interact in any way, she started with f bombs. At that point I showed her the camera and she ran away.

Gaper of the year.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
@crackson , you should see the gapers at Perisher, make Thredbo gapers look like amateurs, its amazing! I have never seen so many beginners! Its like Friday Flat on steroids! Kind of fun if you are in the mood.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Hahaha!

Must say Perisher is more crowded, on any day I reckon. Good skiers/boarders stand out quite a bit. Had fun though, I quite like the place. Food on the hill needs work, and most of the lifts are old and slow. Kind of like Snowgums. But there are something like 200 billion of them.

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
I'm super stoked, booked another weekend 15th-17th and looks like there will be plenty more falling between now and then.

Anyone stayed at the Jindy Inn recently? My man wants to stay off mountain as he won't be skiing so we booked the Jindy for the first time. I'll miss the easy commute to the runs (I prefer on snow personally), but the TA reviews sound really good for the price ($200 a night for 2 inc hot breaky).

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
I think it's called Trappers and a spin off of the bakery in Braidwood

That's the one. They do a roaring trade because there's decent food, they do a good coffee and the toilets are kept reasonably clean. The servo across the road is really busy as well.

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
Lovely day on the hill
Central Spur is looking amazing
Jumps all over the place and some comp on So you can actually see people launching.

Grooming is great
Off piste still *just* chalky enough in the morning and soft in the arvo.

We've called it early as daughter is shattered but good morning skiing was had.

Looking like an AMAZING September coming up given the current cover and this week's forecast!
Our last week of September annual school holiday snow gamble looking like being a great week. Will leave the tennis raquet and golf clubs in the shed. Fantastic. One week of snow. Two weeks to hold on and we are there!

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
That's the one. They do a roaring trade because there's decent food, they do a good coffee and the toilets are kept reasonably clean. The servo across the road is really busy as well.

Really? I think Ive stopped there two or three times and scratched it off the list as I've never had a great experience. Rode to Goulburn from Canberra once and stopped there for a pie, the most miserable photo of me, wasn't impressed (wasn't worth the ride). Just goes to show different experiences

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums