Snow Report Thredbo 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
Currently snowing heavily in Thredbo village. Snow has been steadily increasing all day since a brief glimpse of the sun at 6.30am.
Alot of snow loaded in. The most I have seen in a long long time.
Snow good for first runs down Bluff, Golfy, Falls and Exhibition.
Now only windblown areas ok as its heavy and wet everywhere else. Tried to stay high on Sponars for better quality but very poor vis. forced me down into the slop.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Yeah got heavy down low but we got some nice windblown around meritts found fresh
below Wiammea down to top of Gunbarrel chair. There is always something if you know where to look.

Reactions: alexd

Olgreg

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 21, 2011
Dolans Bay
IMG_2587.JPG
GCB second run this morning.
Antons skiers right was the goods after lunch
Champagne windblown snow

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Things are so filled in now, shapes and fall lines are so much better. Below the Bluff down to Rams chair has a wonderful open bowl feel to it. Gotta duck down under different trees in the Glades. Its just skiing like a super fun Mountain. Had us squarking like cockatoos today.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Can someone please post pics of Cannonball area - even if it's just the view looking up the hill from the village? I love seeing that area when not much is sticking out. Cheers guys and thanks for all the other pics. Michael's Mistake looks like Friday freakin Flat!

Reactions: alexd

DenSki

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2011
Can someone please post pics of Cannonball area - even if it's just the view looking up the hill from the village? I love seeing that area when not much is sticking out. Cheers guys and thanks for all the other pics. Michael's Mistake looks like Friday freakin Flat!

This pic is from the top of Cannonball yesterday. A little fella got in my picture though ;)
6BC677CA-EB8B-4225-86D6-84B471DC2544_zpsjmizlequ.png

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
I wonder if it was the same one I saw about an hour ago in the Basin. The one I saw was pretty hefty.

PeterM

Hard Yards
Aug 7, 2017
Sydney
Twas epic today, wind was blowing hard enough and from the right direction all day, even at 3pm Sponars was great (vis a bit sketchy though). My pick today would have to be powder bowl just after the cruiser opened

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
Good winter snow above Kareela. Below got cooked earlier in the day. But tried to repair with some heavy snow showers around lunch and graupel late in the arvo accumulating to a couple cms. Contstant 40kmh+ winds giving a few windblown lines in typical areas on Bluff and Sponars. -5 now. A few more snow showers tonight will give a winter playground tomorrow until the sun does its September stuff to it.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Sitting in the sun at the opening of Capital Brewery drinking craft beer and listening to mellow tunes, almost makes up for missing this weekend.....

Who am I kidding, great pub and event But missing this weekend sucks!

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
Amazing day. Sick groomers and drifts.

Took a big slide down the steep of high noon when a front binding disintegrated on the last run. It's quite surprising to crash like that. Not had one fail before.
I once had a front binding pull out of a ski half way down Sponars. Thredbo is a long way down when you don't have a front binding.

LaNeige

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 20, 2010
Vic
I found it weirdly busy, car park overflows full with people parking on the Alipne Way, the runs felt busy, but the queues weren't to bad.

Anyway really good day, not sure I bothered with a groomer all day. To start with there was lovely chalky off piste with some windblown (I'm looking at you the boot deep line along the powder bowl). And too be fair, some firmer conditions early. But the cover is epic, I skied tree runs I didn't even know existed

Pre and post lunch was spent in the GCB where up high it was light and dry which got heavier down low. Very spring like for the lower third and some hot pow as you came in to the last stretch of ST.

In the afternoon on the central spur the snow was soft but supportive, basically hero snow.

Looking forward to part 2 tomorrow.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Biggest day in Thredbo history. As per a bus driver driving us up to the chapel.
Good day @POW_hungry ? I think we passed each other at the front door of THA.
Had an epic day. The drive out proved there was no stopping punters, with cars parked all down/up The Alpine Way.
Thredbo handled the crowds really well if you ask me... Longest lift queue I waited for today was about 5-10mins. I guess that's what you get with every lift spinning.
Just got back into Sydney. Wrecked.

THA? Thredbo Hotel?

Reactions: crackson

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Had an epic day. The drive out proved there was no stopping punters, with cars parked all down/up The Alpine Way.
Thredbo handled the crowds really well if you ask me... Longest lift queue I waited for today was about 5-10mins. I guess that's what you get with every lift spinning.
Just got back into Sydney. Wrecked.

THA? Thredbo Hotel?
Yeah... Correct. About 3pmish

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums