Snow Report Thredbo 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Lol we were late for the ceremony. Parking was shite... Two buses later.
Thredbo was rocking. Tom Tilley and Co do provide a good atmosphere.
I do like thredbo.. If I owned a place.
Should've told everyone on entry that first tracks kept you from being on time.

Every cafe/pub looked like it was pumping today.
Gotta say everyone was pretty stoked, happy, smiling today. Usually you see one or two hot-headed knobs in the queues, car parks etc. but I hardly noticed the crowds and traffic if it was in fact the busiest day in history.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I've not had a sp at Thredbo since 2009.
I was amazed at the car park.
I've never seen anything like that.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Should've told everyone on entry that first tracks kept you from being on time.

Every cafe/pub looked like it was pumping today.
Gotta say everyone was pretty stoked, happy, smiling today. Usually you see one or two hot-headed knobs in the queues, car parks etc. but I hardly noticed the crowds and traffic if it was in fact the busiest day in history.
Purely on a car count... No idea re lift tix sales.
*as per bus driver

Reactions: POW Hungry

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Purely on a car count... No idea re lift tix sales.
*as per bus driver
I passed the FF ticket counter at 8:45am (on the dot) with about 80-100 people queued for what I assumed were tix. But then I figured why wouldn't you go online and purchase them?
keeping in mind that the counter opens @8am... What were all those punters queuing for?

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Hot lifty checking photos at gunbarrel has a crush on me for sure.

She wanted to chat me up this morning, but I was skiing with my sister so I didn't have time.

I could tell she was undressing me every time I saw her by the way she was staring.

It was hot.
Did they hand you some good (wrong?) meds today?

Reactions: crackson

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I passed the FF ticket counter at 8:45am (on the dot) with about 80-100 people queued for what I assumed were tix. But then I figured why wouldn't you go online and purchase them?
keeping in mind that the counter opens @8am... What were all those punters queuing for?
Doughnuts

Reactions: alexd and Kletterer

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
I'm stoked for all you guys enjoying it all this weekend, can't wait til next weekend when I get to join the fun!!

Quick Q for those on the ground and/or in the know, with The Dark Side, Buller and now Hotham extending til the 8th is there any likelyhood Thredbo will follow suit? Have checked YHA and TAH and neither appear to be operating that weekend (or are both fully booked- highly unlikely)...

Townsend

One of Us
Mar 28, 2014
At this stage I believe they have to close because they only have a few weeks to get the mountain ready for the mtb season.

alexd

One of Us
May 22, 2017
Sydney
Yeah, I would imagine the Kosi chair would need some fairly substantial routine maintenance every season, but I'm not really sure.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
It not sure on the MTN bike theory, I'd say they will extend.

Last year they held off opening the all mtn track because of damp and potential damage. I spoke to one of the guys in the resort team I know who said that they are pretty serious about protecting the mountain as they know they are being watched. Read if they damage the mtn it has potential to effect future development plans whatever they may be.

If the snow is there, their is no reason to stop the lifts as they won't be able to do any prep work anyway. I would guess they might shut down some lifts early for maintenance being the main chair. Honestly I'd say they will close down as they opened I.e leave the cruiser area to close last.

Reactions: alexd

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
image.jpg
The lineup

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
It's super busy in the resort with car parking madness. Aside from Crackenback chair though the lift queues weren't awful. I was off the hill by 11am though so it may have got worse.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Hahaha, mad as a cut snake hey! She mumbles to herself, first chair, look, there's room for me.....I was supposed to be with Robes, but got there about 3 chairs back, cut throat business, he didn't save me a spot!

LaNeige

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 20, 2010
Vic
Sunday was busy, particularly early, but the groomers were fantastic, soft with enough support to really let rip early on. After a couple inbounds it was time to take no. 1 boot packing.

Hiked up to near Abbotts Peak were the snow smooth and silky wind blown or wind scoured. Long run back to Kosi via Eagle Way, Bush Ranger and Super Trail, certainly the most vertical in one run in Aust for us. Very spring like down lower, but who doesn't like a bit of hot pow.

C2oXuyu.jpg

Kosi over to the left

ryiGf0y.jpg

View from Scramles on the way back.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Coming back from kiting today, we dropped Signature on the way in, it was nicely corned. I went first to take the photos, my line is through the rocks, normally chute 2, but its so filled in! You can see my sluff from the ridge line in too. The others came down the nose.

IMG_4930.jpg

LaNeige

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 20, 2010
Vic
Coming back from kiting today, we dropped Signature on the way in, it was nicely corned. I went first to take the photos, my line is through the rocks, normally chute 2, but its so filled in! You can see my sluff from the ridge line in too. The others came down the nose.

IMG_4930.jpg

I was worried it would be a Monday without a @telecrag photo. Few, can sleep soundly now.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
I used to wonder why he uses skids as skiing on one is easy. Then when I broke my binding on the steep of high noon, my sis took the broken one and I went to ski down on one, but I couldn't. Without a ski on my other leg for balance it was near impossible. Once on the flat I could do it by holding my spare leg forward and cruise down. Wish I had skids at the time. They make total sense now. Without them you do these crazy random 180's.

Anyway, nice pic.

Reactions: telecrag

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
I used to wonder why he uses skids as skiing on one is easy. Then when I broke my binding on the steep of high noon, my sis took the broken one and I went to ski down on one, but I couldn't. Without a ski on my other leg for balance it was near impossible. Once on the flat I could do it by holding my spare leg forward and cruise down. Wish I had skids at the time. They make total sense now. Without them you do these crazy random 180's.

Anyway, nice pic.
I've seen kids in TSRC with only one ski attached skiing down World Cup as part of their training drills. Impressive.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass