Snow Report Thredbo 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Well I can confirm snow and low visibility up high; light rain on the lower slopes. The snow higher up was relatively firm and icy in patches - what a change from tropical Perisher on Saturday! The lower slopes are holding up extremely well given it's only a week prior to season end. We had a good morning exploring the runs around the Kosi Express until Mr 8 face-planted on Supertrail. Yard sale and a small donation of blood to the snow. Currently recovering in the Eagles Nest bistro.

Adamski

Addicted
Mar 2, 2009
Sydney
How's the conditions/cover looking for this Saturday? I'll be in Canberra and wondering about one last day trip up to bid farewell to the season.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Do it! It's spring skiing, but all skiing is skiing!

There has been a fair bit of melt but the cover is outrageous for this time of season. Could be record numbers here for this time too, seems like more here for school holidays than usual. Might be quieter than usual at the coast.

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
Well I can confirm snow and low visibility up high; light rain on the lower slopes. The snow higher up was relatively firm and icy in patches - what a change from tropical Perisher on Saturday! The lower slopes are holding up extremely well given it's only a week prior to season end. We had a good morning exploring the runs around the Kosi Express until Mr 8 face-planted on Supertrail. Yard sale and a small donation of blood to the snow. Currently recovering in the Eagles Nest bistro.
Get him the Belgian Waffle with Ice Cream. Will help.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
20170925_161123.jpg
20170924_110221.jpg
Yesterday morning bottom photo, 4.00pm this arvo top shot, improving nicely, should be fun up top tomorrow

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
One of our friends starting to get his shred on today

IMG_0756.jpg

Bit of a birthday skifest this trip, jagged an awesome dinner in a private lodge last night, love the local crew, a chef from one of the restaurants was also a guest, and 'managed to choke it down', good mates giving each other shit, love it.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Less area to patrol, winding down. And the moguls of death that aren't shown, top bit fine, mid and lower tragic.

Reactions: NewTurns

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Got my last day on Tuesday. A good finish. Highlight for me was watching the daughter pull a tuck and straight line down a firm and fast Walkabout on Tuesday morning. Not sure where it came from as she hasn't done that before. We were skiing together and then she hooked in and i couldn't catch her.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
As the 2017 Ski Season draws to a close, it's time to reflect on the year that was*...

The season kicked off on Dec 31 with a great 4 days of riding the MTB trails, off the Kosci Chair. I rode with a mate of mine. I even got on 1 chair with a local one day and ended up spending the rest of the day riding with them. I loved the All Mountain Trail, despite it not being fully open at that stage. Sooooo much fun. Even better was taking my kids out on some of the smaller tracks around Thredbo. Oh and the usual pool / toboggan / Christmas / NY activities.

Having been heading to Thredbo over Christmas / NY for a number of years (but for various reasons, missing two or three years), it was amazing how many extra people now go during this period. It's got to the point where our lodge is full (when we used to be the only people in it).

We didn't get to go again till the last week of July, and sadly could only go for five days. Blessed with some great weather, all lifts opened up, and once again no stupid crowds... one was very happy.

Blizzard of Oz 1, 2 and 3 passed me by for various reasons, but they contributed to the highlight. We typically go for another long weekend in mid September when the crowds are less and get the lodge to ourself.

Thanks to B of O 3, the week before, and some tops up when we were there, I'd never seen as much snow since the first time I went to Thredbo in 2001. The result was I skiied lines and whole areas that I'd never skied before, including my first foray into the Golf Course Bowl (yay). Infact, other highlights (kind of lowlight) was skiing Dream Run, and even dropping off Cat Walk down into Bunny Walk. Who would have thunk it.

Probably the biggest frustration of the year (as I'm trying to carry three sets of skis and poles back from Friday Flat at the end of the day) was constantly seeing two to three Route 2 buses come past for every Route 1 bus... ;) Oh, and for some reason my daughter has an aversion for T-bars after rock'n them the year before... (I totally get it though, I hated them too).

Bring on 2018

* as defined by my 365 pass

@telecrag ease do not do a similar post as yours would cover two pages!

Reactions: NewTurns

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
For me the feature of the season has been skiing lines I've never skied before! So many runs that just went off with the extra snow!

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
For me the feature of the season has been skiing lines I've never skied before! So many runs that just went off with the extra snow!
Yup I bet Battleship, ridgey didge and raus raus have been fine this year.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Great cover for this time of year. Spring skiing (doh) of course, but a pretty good version of it.

It is slushy but I didn't think it was awful porridge.

I got off the hill maybe 45mins ago. A bit of sago and a bit of rain. If it cools down it may snow a little.

Off to do some short side country forays tomorrow

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Am done with resort skiing for the season- and what a great season it has been. Managed to pick many of the best days and sneak in prime weekdays. Many thanks to those i have shared lifts and runs and some laughs with- @telecrag @K10 and son @tele-whippet @climberman @kaegee and Andy @Old School Mike @DidSurfNowSki and finally met the @Snow Blowey clan. Very unfortunate outcome :( for the Whippet on August 6 - hope you are healing faster now bud.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Am done with resort skiing for the season- and what a great season it has been. Managed to pick many of the best days and sneak in prime weekdays. Many thanks to those i have shared lifts and runs and some laughs with- @telecrag @K10 and son @tele-whippet @climberman @kaegee and Andy @Old School Mike @DidSurfNowSki and finally met the @Snow Blowey clan. Very unfortunate outcome :( for the Whippet on August 6 - hope you are healing faster now bud.

Very unfortunate for whippet. He left a piece of himself up there on that day. A piece of his binding at least.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Really winding down in a rush up here. Still sooooooo much snow. But the truth is I'm ready to move on to summer things for a while and leave Thredbo to its next season.

My highlights were;

1. Snow event 1.0, Sunday afternoon, puking down, some lifts on wind hold - best afternoons skiing I have had in Oz.
2. My daughter graduating to poles - she was so excited.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass