Snow Report Thredbo 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
No point skiing in the crowd when you can simply catch up with a few friends for the Thredbo Long Lunch!

IMG_1751.JPG

alexd

One of Us
May 22, 2017
Sydney
The Cruiser lift line was running at about 7-10 minutes for a while but I haven't been up there for an hour and a half. Still worth doing.

Karma Police

First Runs
Jun 11, 2017
High noon deserted and no line on Gunbarrel. High noon isn't so bad on the edges tbh
So it's worth coming down for the day tomorrow?

Is high noon best mid-morning when it's softened a bit and hasn't become slushy yet?

5 min waits for lifts Merrits do you think?

fmdc9

Hard Yards
Sep 20, 2015
thanks for the report.
that settles it for me then.
there's no deserted run in perisher at the moment.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
image.jpg

Affectionately known as the curry bowl by some politically incorrect locals, they actually love the strange influx of Indian tourists, who don't ski, are very polite, and contribute an unexpected amount to the local economy. Much more effective use of the space.

LaNeige

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 20, 2010
Vic
The Good: it's the opening weekend and it's actually open
The Bad: Merritt's mountain house. Me: can I have 3 of those pies sitting there. Staff: no, we're closed. Me: seriously. Staff: yes. Actually, that's just plain strange, the conversation took longer than putting the pies on a tray.
More Good: the Manager managed to put them pies on tray and sell them to me.
The Ugly: the rust my legs, I didn't even ski hard or long.

But mostly, there are runs to be had and the sun is shining, how good is that for 11th June.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
image.jpg

Affectionately known as the curry bowl by some politically incorrect locals, they actually love the strange influx of Indian tourists, who don't ski, are very polite, and contribute an unexpected amount to the local economy. Much more effective use of the space.
Absolutely it is! It used to be wasted space waiting for summer.
I took this pic from the Merritts chair today.
IMG_5556.JPG

The tennis court will have full cover for snowplay as the season progresses, and when that run into Snowgums opens it'll be roped off about where the groomer is.

So many foreign languages being spoken by the snow play group - and streams of them taking the foot traffic ride up to Merritts to have a look around. Ka-Ching!!

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Absolutely it is! It used to be wasted space waiting for summer.
I took this pic from the Merritts chair today.
IMG_5556.JPG

The tennis court will have full cover for snowplay as the season progresses, and when that run into Snowgums opens it'll be roped off about where the groomer is.

So many foreign languages being spoken by the snow play group - and streams of them taking the foot traffic ride up to Merritts to have a look around. Ka-Ching!!
You took the Merrits Chair!
Are you there yet? ;)

Scoober

One of Us
May 12, 2014
Gosford
From those that are in thredbo or have been over the weekend.... how much work does the bottom of the super trail need to be open? I can see the VT cam and its pretty bare, but what about above that to the cat shed?

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Downloading!!!!
Ha ha!!
Yeah - go with the group.

Pulled rank today! No downloading. High Noon was a cracker!

(However...nothing wrong with downloading midstation to VT at the end of the day - saves the walk back from Friday Flat, and the best bits are behind ya! Only drama is the wait for an empty chair!)

Last edited:

winter

One of Us
May 6, 2010
southern highlands, nsw
Last minute decision to spend the long weekend in Thredbo. I am incredibly grateful for it was a fantastic weekend that would have been otherwise spent indoors due to rain.

Today was certainly the pick for snow conditions and it gives me hope that if it does not snow much durung June, the snowmaking will keep the cover topped up.
Not many opening weekends are you fortunate to have HN as it was today.

It was the most people I have seen in Thredbo for a long weekend, i was told 3000 people yesterday, just as foot passengers.
The fireworks are always a crowd pleaser for opening weekend though was unsure of the headline act for the concert, I maybe getting old though I did not see too many youngsters getting into it.

Merrits mountain house coffee is much better than last year imo, 80's music only atm.

Looking forward to many more weekends.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I loved the 80s tunes at Merritts but we heard more than a few grumbles about the volume from people at the tables. Just that touch too loud to chat - not just old farts grumbling either!

Reactions: telecrag and winter

winter

One of Us
May 6, 2010
southern highlands, nsw
I loved the 80s tunes at Merritts but we heard more than a few grumbles about the volume from people at the tables. Just that touch too loud to chat - not just old farts grumbling either!
10 year old singing loudly in the car all the 80's hits from the weekend. Love it!
Sad not to bump into you LMB. I have been offline for a while so I did not catch on you were in town.
Next time.

Reactions: LMB and cin

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
10 year old singing loudly in the car all the 80's hits from the weekend. Love it!
Sad not to bump into you LMB. I have been offline for a while so I did not catch on you were in town.
Next time.
I did keep an eye for a pocket rocket on a board ;)

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Had some good runs with telecrag yesterday morning. It was a win / win / win / win. I had some adult company, i got some free teletips and my daughter had a bigger audience, which in turn lead to better skiing from her and more runs before we had to evac on the Merrits chair.

I can't speak for Telecrag. He got stuck talking to me and had to share the child minding duties! Not everyone can win.

Not to mention the pow. I got face shots at least three times. Where was that Thredbo photographer when i was down in it man.

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
Had some good runs with telecrag yesterday morning. It was a win / win / win / win. I had some adult company, i got some free teletips and my daughter had a bigger audience, which in turn lead to better skiing from her and more runs before we had to evac on the Merrits chair.

I can't speak for Telecrag. He got stuck talking to me and had to share the child minding duties! Not everyone can win.

Not to mention the pow. I got face shots at least three times. Where was that Thredbo photographer when i was down in it man.

the kids love @telecrag
my daughter calls him the guy that looks like santa but in ski gear

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007

It was great fun, you can't let them go too much in a crowd, but little miss was a frickin rocket!

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Was down there on Sunday, it was awesome. Saw @telecrag as I was heading onto cruiser chair - waved but he was miles away haha.

Day one I was in a world of hurt, my boots get so comfy, I forget how that first day hurts so much until the boots conform to my feet.

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Day one I was in a world of hurt, my boots get so comfy, I forget how that first day hurts so much until the boots conform to my feet.
I was reminded very quickly why I didn't go back to my Zoom Forces for the past 3 years. Few sore spots but worse than that was losing the minute fine control in such stiff boots. Just felt clunky.

Townsend

One of Us
Mar 28, 2014
Cruiser was very good today, firmer than yesterday and really well groomed. Hi Noon was a little sketchy but the snow making at the bottom has helped. A few cold, dry nights would be very welcome!

Reactions: telecrag and fmdc9
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass