Question Thredbo 2018

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
I have never, ever, ever had trouble driving to and into and around Thredbo (or Perisher) in an AWD with regular tyres. I've been here for 16 winters now, driven in all kinds of conditions.

But that's an entirely different discussion.

I had a similar story until we got hit by two blizzards in three weeks last season. The first one dumped fourteen inches of snow on the car. Took 40 minutes to dig it out. On the drive out we needed chains until just past the entrance to Lake Jindi. You really don't need chains, right up until the moment you do.

FYI, in emergencies you can rent chains at the petrol station. Drop them off at the service station at the bottom of the Alpine Way (next to the caravan park).

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
They may not keep them there, but they may have gathered some ahead of the storm. I rented some last year and there was at least a dozen sets lined up on the floor. We've carried a pair of lightweight H-pattern chains for years. The one (and only) time I needed to use them the thin circumference cable snapped getting out of the car park. leaving me with a single chain on the left side. Wasn't enough to do the job.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
They may not keep them there, but they may have gathered some ahead of the storm. I rented some last year and there was at least a dozen sets lined up on the floor. We've carried a pair of lightweight H-pattern chains for years. The one (and only) time I needed to use them the thin circumference cable snapped getting out of the car park. leaving me with a single chain on the left side. Wasn't enough to do the job.

You can check out anytime but you can never leave

Principal Douglas

Big Fan
Ski Pass
Mar 21, 2002
Orange, NSW
Ah yes, a bit of opportunism. He's just hired them himself from Snowline. I wouldn't count on the servo regularly though. Get a set of chains for $7 a day or whatever from Jindy and have that peace of mind.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I’m sure some Richie Rich occasionally rolls into Thredbo in his Range Rover dropping $100 notes like confetti in his wake, and uses the Servo’s services, but all I notice is they don’t seem to have any stock, and no one seems to go there. How do they make a living?

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I’m sure some Richie Rich occasionally rolls into Thredbo in his Range Rover dropping $100 notes like confetti in his wake, and uses the Servo’s services, but all I notice is they don’t seem to have any stock, and no one seems to go there. How do they make a living?
Petrol and NRMA

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
If last year is anything to go by, there is no more
“quiet”

You’re clearly doing it wrong
There is quiet all through the season, you just go when you (and everyone one else) is too tired, too hung over or not up for the wind and other uncomfortable weather

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
You’re clearly doing it wrong
There is quiet all through the season, you just go when you (and everyone one else) is too tired, too hung over or not up for the wind and other uncomfortable weather
You clearly weren’t there all last season. Times are changing.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
7A7985F7-A94F-41DA-A539-DE7D50CC9324.jpeg

From @K10

Reactions: climberman

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
But as a tourist surely that’s an opportunity for the photo album:

“Buying the most expensive petrol in australia”

LOL

I reckon there are a few servos in central Aus that would take that crown.

Never seen anyone there, it used to get some patronage when it was raw nrg and looked after bikes and servicing. I assume the company hold it now.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass