DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
From Vic Emergency:

upload_2020-1-1_11-36-2.png

Issued Today at 9:00 AM.

This Emergency Warning is being issued for Beetoomba, Benambra, Berringama, Biggara, Bringenbrong, Brumby, Bungil, Burrowye, Cobberas, Colac Colac, Corryong, Crawford Crossing, Cudgewa, Cudgewa North, Dartmouth, Greg Greg, Guys Forest, Hodgson Crossing, Khancoban, Koetong, Lucyvale, McNamara Crossing, Mount Alfred, Mount Alfred Gap, Nariel Creek, Nariel Gap, Nariel Valley, Pine Mountain, Shelley, Staceys Bridge, Suggan Buggan, The Lightwood, Thologolong, Thowgla, Thowgla Upper, Thowgla Valley, Tintaldra, Tom Groggin, Towong, Towong Upper, Walwa, Willow Crossing.
  • This Emergency Warning replaces the Emergency Warning issued at 6.33pm.
  • The large bushfire that started West South West of Walwa that is not yet under control
  • The bushfire travelled in a south-easterly direction on a large front
  • This fire is threatening homes and lives.
  • There will be continued fire activity on the western flank.
  • A number of new fires have been identified in Jibb range, Mt Sassafras and Mt Pinnibar areas due to dry lightning over the past 24 hours. There is a likelihood that further fires may be identified throughout the day.
  • There is a significant fire activity in NSW, the fire column will visible from Victoria.
  • You must continue to remain vigilant as conditions may change.
You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive.

Your TG friends will be busy.

Funky

One of Us
Apr 15, 2002
We Left Thredbo at 10.30am. It was clearing nicely. So not surprised to see those pics.

From Lake Crackenback it started to get quite thick. Not a breath of wind.

From the distillery...

8BE09B17-6EFB-4292-AE29-7CF313B8D010.jpeg

As we descended into Jindy it was a pea soup.

54D95925-C2CF-4CED-B627-95D3C37B5ED9.jpeg

It is only now that we are near Goulburn that I’d say we have good visibility.

The smoke was so thick all the way to Canberra and literally bumper to bumper traffic from Cooma (but moving well), that no one bothered to over take other than at overtaking lanes.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Zooming in on it shows the pin to be just NW of tom groggin campground.

Either a lightning strike or the main fire has jumped the border and alpine way.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 6.14.45 pm.png

Its jumped the Alpine Way.

Spot fire now on eastern side of Alpine Way at approx 1100 masl east of Grassy Flat Road about 12kms (as the crow flies) from the western edge of Thredbo resort. Rugged country in there ,not sure if ground forces can easily get to it. Fire is small as yet ,maybe aerial bombing can suffocate it quickly.
Dont want to be an alarmist but those at Thredbo village and guys like Scottski may just want to recheck their preps.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Hmm.

The fires near me app pretends it updates, but it's very slow to get info.

If you click on the fire pin for the main fire aiming at thredbo, you will see the firemap hasn't been updated for 4hrs.

They listed the new spot an hour ago.

Do not count on it being updated in real time.

The fire at nine mile only gets updated once a day.

You may come under direct threat before the app warns you.

I'd be getting out of there.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Hmm.

The fires near me app pretends it updates, but it's very slow to get info.

If you click on the fire pin for the main fire aiming at thredbo, you will see the firemap hasn't been updated for 4hrs.

They listed the new spot an hour ago.

Do not count on it being updated in real time.

The fire at nine mile only gets updated once a day.

You may come under direct threat before the app warns you.

I'd be getting out of there.
It’s years away from being that focussed I reckon.

Very glad my sis and niece left Eucumbene this morning.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Fires near me Aus shows the Dunns Rd fire front to be 10k SE of tom groggin campground about to cross the border as of 5mins ago.

I think it might charge up to dead horse gap without warning. It's not far away.

Funky

One of Us
Apr 15, 2002
Looks like another one very close to Thredbo. Pilot Lookout...

glad to have got away... even if I did forget the beer in the Fridge. It will he welcome relief to Daf when it is all done.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 8.37.31 pm.png

Jumped again, maybe it will be a good thing if it comes in gently over the next 2 days and not at 100 mile per hour on Saturday.
The satellite overlays can be incorrect.
We had a hotspot overlay exactly on the house at Dargan 3 days before the forefront arrived.
Hopefully it’s not a premonition!!

Reactions: Snow Blowey

Townsend

One of Us
Mar 28, 2014
No evacuation as yet and everyone seems reasonably relaxed. There is very little wind thank heavens. However I think that everyone is getting prepared just in case.Saturday looks very concerning

Funky

One of Us
Apr 15, 2002
The Lodge Manager for where we were staying has been there for 20 odd years.

As soon the first bushfires sprung up out at Nine Mile Complex he was filling us in.

then when the Tom Groggin fires came said pack bags just in case (he has been there through last few fires).

but listening to him, my take was he understood the fire evacuation procedure / plan quite well for the resort and I assumed this is fairly well communicated across KT Leases. I say that knowing things can always be much better.

Townsend

One of Us
Mar 28, 2014
Many people have left and it is very quiet. In 2003 there were 16 fire trucks, now there are two. No RFS, only the town brigade which is a very small brigade. Snow guns are being quickly welded so that the guns can go on.

Everyone is doing what Thredbo does best i.e. looking after each other. By far the most important thing is for everyone to stay safe.

Maybe Barnaby is right...all we can do is pray!

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Fires near me NSW isn't showing the vic fire front hitting tom groggin.

The Aus version shows the fire front stopping at the border.

Fires Near Me NSW will give you a false sense of security.

There is a major vic fire heading for thredbo that the app is not showing.

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
If a fire crept over the range, or even if there was concern about spot fires in advance of the front, I imagine they'd hit the big green button and turn on the snowmaking system [edit - assuming it's operational]

https://www.pe.com/2015/08/24/summi...w-making-machines-into-fire-prevention-gear/?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ight-fire-at-ski-resort-idUSN2640970420070827

The second article also mentions running all the lifts to prevent hot spots developing on the cables. Didn't think of that.

Reactions: Alleve

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
If a fire crept over the range, or even if there was concern about spot fires in advance of the front, I imagine they'd hit the big green button and turn on the snowmaking system.

https://www.pe.com/2015/08/24/summi...w-making-machines-into-fire-prevention-gear/?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ight-fire-at-ski-resort-idUSN2640970420070827

The second article also mentions running all the lifts to prevent hot spots developing on the cables. Didn't think of that.
Observed before we left portable snowmakers being postioned around the groomer shed and Eagles Nest.
20200102_154600.jpg
Buckets filled with water around village to help with spot fires. Fingers crossed next two days, tear in my eye as I left.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I asked for a cash refund for the rest of the day as I could not ride after parks ordered the lifts shut, they said no worries!

Haha, people are such dicks these days.

Stay safe all my friends who have decided to stay.

Reactions: LMB

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Good to see that they're putting the snowmaking system together, although it probably won't do much other than stop grass fires caused by embers. The idea of running the lifts is interesting, although they probably won't do that here if the lifties have been evacuated. Assuming that the state government will pitch in after all this is done to help repair any damages.

Wishing for the best. Hopefully the rain comes strong and gives some much-needed relief. It's pretty shocking that the fires are now threatening the ski fields. It's also very sad to hear that the RFS is limited in how much it can support Thredbo because of all the other fires. KNP is nowhere near the only NSW park being closed.
Screenshot_20200102_093836.jpg

Good luck to the Thredbo brigade, the RFS, and all other firefighters

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Just that yes. They do have a lot of water, and pumps, so I would say they have a better chance than many, but it sounds super serious. Cant be a good feeling.

Townsend

One of Us
Mar 28, 2014
Good old Dawesy! I believe all the emergency welding was finished at 5.00pm tonight. Well done lads! Just had dinner with many of the locals and yes, no matter how optimistic everyone is, we all feel it is different. 2003 we had16 fire trucks and two aerial appliances. This time nothing. I think that only luck and god can save us and I am not religious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass