Snow Report Thredbo 2020 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

db2567

One of Us
Apr 5, 2018
My usual pattern is to purchase a winter pass in September then book accommodation at the beginning of the year.
The most recent season I did the same but ended up without the season lift pass.
I have no interest in booking many stays without a season lift pass.
At daily lift rates I am more likely to have a year off and save those pennies for another year, or take those pennies to try another resort.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Fast, faster, faster, really fast, blasting, and....lift oooooooofffffffffff.
This was news from the staff test after installation. LOL
I remember when my middle son ventured out in the bobsled for the first time by himself (I think he was 9 or 10). Went Ok until his father came belting around a bend behind him and collided with his bobsled, trapping his finger and throwing him out. Badly swollen finger and a refusal to ever go in the bobsled again was the result :whistle: (Note: I LOVE the bobsled :D).

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Re lift maintenance schedules
-Kosciuszko Express runs throughout tge entire mountain bike season. Shuts down for a month either side. During maintenance, Snowgums runs instead.
-Gunbarrel usually runs throughout December and January, and most weekends. Thredbo website sats Gunbarrel will be open more this year.
-Merritts is supposed to open during summer. Unknown when. Might not happen until the restaurant is rebuilt.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Quietest closing weekend I have ever experienced, snow or no. Some places already closed. Mind you, they ran out of snow shoes in the hire, plenty of people doing the Kosi walk, even with the wind. Had dinner at the Denman, and maybe last one ever at Black Bear, though as someone said, they have had like 7 closing parties by now, but it is still there. Most people I spoke to did alright during the season, so I think the way they went worked, and if the snowmaking had not broken, it would have been normal turnover from less people for many.

So good catching up.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
I got 3 days in, 2 of them after lots of very heavy wet snow. Managed top to bottom on funnel web so I guess that's something.

Reactions: Sage O

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Went down for one day got no love due to windhold, first season I’ve missed since I worked on the hill as an 18 yo in 1988. Did make several runs at DHG tho with lift from mate from lower carpark to upper. Probs about 40m vertical per run. At Perisher they call that top to bottom!

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Only got in a couple of days this season even though I booked more which I had to forfeit due to an illness in the family. They were good days though.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Long weekend in Thredbo was dead! Did catch up with @telecrag in his natural environment which was nice.

It’s kind of funny I love Thredbo when it’s dead, just a nice place to wander about and chill.

as for the season we got 13 days, spent less than the Season pass and we’re pretty happy. I seriously hope they keep the ski lines next year, so much better.

Undies

Superspreadin the lurve
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
3 days for me. Even though it rained on one of them, and the bottom half of the mountain was closed, I still had a ball.

The skiing at Thredbo is better than Perisher, but Perisher is better in a bad snow year such as this. I just need to be able to live there and have passes for both.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
For those that missed this season...overall, it truly was the season not to cry about missing. Yes, there were some good days, but not too many. Think 82, 06 or 13.
2013 for mine, minimal snow till August and what did come was a soggy easterly, a short stint of decent westerlies bringing snow depths creating the impression of a much better season than it was, early spring. Full Stop.... but worse because of covid and broken s/m

Reactions: telecrag

Laska Goralska

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2018
Here, or skiing
Between COVID and the weather, I managed to get seven days in, though three of them were not really very enjoyable and one was basically unskiable.

There was one really good day I managed to get, was the Sunday in mid-Aug after the only really big dump we had. That was a great day. Everything skiable. Lovely.

Reactions: Untele-whippet

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Thredbo need a cleansing.

I've met every single self appointed legend there and they are seriously disgusting people.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Well if you've met the self appointed legends then you've clearly not met the good people at Thredbo. None of which are self appointed.

Met them all.

A few good people doesn't makeup for the damage caused by nazis and cokeheads.

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
Mtb pass purchased. See you opening weekend.

Small bonus. Had some credit in My Money from days refunded due to the early winter season closure.
Non bonus. 2020 is a $3k year for passes skiing/riding.
Thredbo, 'I Love it'.
20201003_164502.jpg

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
No MTB season pass available after 4.00 PM Sunday.
I asked, they replied.
Slightly weird marketing to me given the Covid uncertainty.
Lock in for the unknown or suck it up.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
The held a successful winter, why not summer?
Totally different numbers in summer so no real Covid distancing dilemmas.
Why not have an early bird season pass ending on Sunday then a full price pass for procrastinators in a summer of uncertainty.
How about a full 7 day per week season pass and an alternate week day season pass or a weekend season pass?

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Have you ever been there during Xmas-January period? The crowds have been huge.
Yes. Large crowds over the holidays, which is great for Thredbo but the total season is November to April.
Nov, early Dec, Feb, March and April week days are when Thredbo needs to sell tix.
It’s great riding empty trails then but what a wasted revenue black hole.
Mt Ruapehu season ski passes for 2021
77A7A649-F720-4D84-8E46-15E6BF4EECBC.jpeg

Reactions: climberman
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass